The ‘YAY I JUST HEARD MICHAEL ON THE RADIO’ Thread

I host a radio show on Dublin South FM 93.9 - It's called Urban Smooth, As it's Michaels Birthday next Monday my show this Saturday night 27/08/2022 is all Michael Songs (Well J5/Jacksons too), its my 3rd annual MJ birthday Tribute show.
Just listened. Man, you were on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!

That was awesome.

"... the whole tapestry of Michael's work will be showcased as long as I'm alive ... "
Sean Coyle August 2022

I host a radio show on Dublin South FM 93.9 - It's called Urban Smooth, As it's Michaels Birthday next Monday my show this Saturday night 27/08/2022 is all Michael Songs (Well J5/Jacksons too), its my 3rd annual MJ birthday Tribute show.
oh I guess I missed it. If it happens again, post it here please with time.

Found it here - Loved the medleys towards the end, its impossible to pick just 1-2 songs from the later albums.

That was awesome.

"... the whole tapestry of Michael's work will be showcased as long as I'm alive ... "
Sean Coyle August 2022
Much Appreciated on the feedback

That was awesome.

Sean Coyle August 2022
Thank you so much.

Thank you so much for sharing the link! I had no idea how to find this. I'm so excited to listen to it!!

@Seanc seems like it was quite a hit on this thread! Do you get good feedback on it?
Thank You! Hoped you liked it. I got good feedback :)

af3f14dce14bfebe74ad8fad2df1fd2b5456cacb.jpg

I missed it but according to the website I search through that collects radio playlists both music and me and rocking robin was played on our national radio 1.
I tried to find a replay of it online but alas. I’m very curious why these 2 songs were played, such a rare happening!

I missed it but according to the website I search through that collects radio playlists both music and me and rocking robin was played on our national radio 1.
I tried to find a replay of it online but alas. I’m very curious why these 2 songs were played, such a rare happening!
Oh, which website is that? Sounds interesting. Is it just for Belgium or is it Europe wide?

Oh, which website is that? Sounds interesting. Is it just for Belgium or is it Europe wide?
Just Belgium. If you want it still I’ll give it to you but it is in Dutch and you won’t know the radio stations of course

Here are for example all spins MJ had today

ArtiestTitelZenderDatum
Michael JacksonMan In The MirrorFamilyRadio20:37:03
Michael JacksonMan In The MirrorFamilyRadio19:59:03
Michael JacksonBeat ItRadio 219:08:17
Michael JacksonBillie JeanNostalgie18:18:36
Michael JacksonBeat ItMNM15:30:25
Michael JacksonSmooth CriminalQ-music11:50:48
Michael JacksonRemember The TimeNostalgie06:39:37
Michael JacksonBeat ItQ-music05:45:54
Michael JacksonSmooth CriminalRadio 201:51:44
Michael JacksonRock With YouFamilyRadio15-09-2022 21:14:03
In addition can you feel it, abc and blame it on the boogie (twice) got played today too on one of the 19 radiostations that are tracked on the website.

Just Belgium. If you want it still I’ll give it to you but it is in Dutch and you won’t know the radio stations of course

Here are for example all spins MJ had today

ArtiestTitelZenderDatum
Michael JacksonMan In The MirrorFamilyRadio20:37:03
Michael JacksonMan In The MirrorFamilyRadio19:59:03
Michael JacksonBeat ItRadio 219:08:17
Michael JacksonBillie JeanNostalgie18:18:36
Michael JacksonBeat ItMNM15:30:25
Michael JacksonSmooth CriminalQ-music11:50:48
Michael JacksonRemember The TimeNostalgie06:39:37
Michael JacksonBeat ItQ-music05:45:54
Michael JacksonSmooth CriminalRadio 201:51:44
Michael JacksonRock With YouFamilyRadio15-09-2022 21:14:03
In addition can you feel it, abc and blame it on the boogie (twice) got played today too on one of the 19 radiostations that are tracked on the website.
No, that's OK. If it's just Belgium, no point. Didn't know Belgium also has a Radio 2, lol. We have one here in the UK.

That's a cool list for just one day, if I'm reading it right.

No, that's OK. If it's just Belgium, no point. Didn't know Belgium also has a Radio 2, lol. We have one here in the UK.

That's a cool list for just one day, if I'm reading it right.
It would be wonderful if you found the English counterpart of this website 😇
Radio 2 is our biggest station

This morning I heard Blues Away by The Jacksons & You Are Not Alone on the local R&B station. They also played When I Think Of You by Janet.

You can vote 5 songs from Michael until Friday to bring them in the SWR1-Hitparade. After voting you have to verify you e-mail-adress in your email-account..

You can vote 5 songs from Michael until Friday to bring them in the SWR1-Hitparade. After voting you have to verify you e-mail-adress in your email-account..

I checked out the website and found the list of 2021. It has only 10 MJ songs, a similar chart in Belgium had 28 MJ songs!
Here’s MJ’s numbers from the German radiostation. Is this a more rock orientated radio station?

181 earth song
403 thriller
426 billie jean
596 man in the mirror
776 beat it
792 heal the world
1087 smooth criminal
1249 black or white
1271 the6 don’t care about us
1335 dirty diana

Fascinating chart and so different than Belgiums! Prince only 4 entries, Madonna only 2, Elvis 7, George Michael 4, Springsteen 16!, Bowie 9, beatles 27!! ( they only had 14 or so in Belgium), rolling stones 28!!! (Beating the beatles), queen 37!!!!!!!, Abba 37!!!!! Pink floyd 21!!!ac/dc 25

A bit disappointing but ten isn’t the worst result

Last edited:
I checked out the website and found the list of 2021. It has only 10 MJ songs, a similar chart in Belgium had 28 MJ songs!
Here’s MJ’s numbers from the German radiostation. Is this a more rock orientated radio station?

181 earth song
403 thriller
426 billie jean
596 man in the mirror
776 beat it
792 heal the world
1087 smooth criminal
1249 black or white
1271 the6 don’t care about us
1335 dirty diana

Fascinating chart and so different than Belgiums! Prince only 4 entries, Madonna only 2, Elvis 7, George Michael 4, Springsteen 16!, Bowie 9, beatles 27!! ( they only had 14 or so in Belgium), rolling stones 28!!! (Beating the beatles), queen 37!!!!!!!, Abba 37!!!!! Pink floyd 21!!!ac/dc 25

A bit disappointing but ten isn’t the worst result

It`s really a result of LN. When you check the list of 2018 and the years before Michael was far better wiith the numbers of songs and the places in the chart. Earth-song was allways in the Top 30. Also his airplay is significant less sined the disaster with the documentation and the press-reprots about it.

Ken Bruce show - BBC R2 - today. WBSS 🥰

Update - Scott Mills (a DJ) choosing his Tracks of My Years. Chooses WBSS bc it's the standout moment from his first ever gig which is Michael / Dangerous / Cardiff Arms Park / 1992. He talked about it for a minute or two. What I can remember is him saying:

WBSS was the standout moment
the pure stage presence of Michael
great vocals
tightest choreography you've ever seen
amazing visuals on the big screens
Scott was mesmerised

Further update - @Hiker
Forgot to tag you in to this. This Scott Mills bloke, he started by making a little joke, saying that when your first ever gig is Michael Jackson on the Dangerous tour at the peak of his powers you *know* you've peaked too soon. And then the other DJ said, 'yeah, it's all downhill from there', meaning nothing can compare. And it made me think of you. How stoked you would be if Dangerous was YOUR first ever (or any!) gig.

Last edited:
Looking at the Radio Times listings for this coming Saturday. On BBC Radio 2 there's a Sounds of the '80s programme. I notice that they are going to include a 'Michael Jackson / Thriller - themed Mastermix for Halloween'.

It's a very small thing, a tiny thing really. Whatever they like to say, R2 *did* cancel Michael for a while after the tv programme landed. But he's been back for a while. Trevor Nelson has played Michael on his 'Magnificent 7' section. Someone just played WBSS yesterday morning. So he's back. Since the Estate doesn't seem to be doing a big push for Halloween hopefully they will do exactly that for the actual anniversary at the end of November. I really wanna see more things like this mastermix thing here. But bigger, much bigger.

Last edited:
This is old news, from August 2022. I've only just caught up with it. Smooth Radio listeners voted Michael the Smooth Icon 2022.

"After thousands of votes, we have crowned the winner of Smooth Icons 2022!

Michael Jackson was voted by Smooth Radio listeners and SmoothRadio.com readers as the best artist of all time in the fourth annual Smooth Icons countdown, retaining his crown from 2020 and 2021. Over 25,000 votes were cast in the poll, which saw Michael beat 2019's winner George Michael. The highest group was Queen at three, followed by the highest female solo artist Whitney Houston at four, and ABBA at five. Smooth Icons aired on Smooth Radio on Monday (August 29), after an online vote asked listeners to vote for their favourite artists of all time."

@staywild23 - I know you love stuff like this. 🙂

Last edited:
Another old Smooth Radio story, this one from June 2022.

I was very happy to see Invincible at No.6. Smooth Radio said this:

'Invincible' gets an undeserved bad rep. It's only this low because of just how good the other five albums were! While it only spawned a couple of singles and it came out during a difficult time for Michael, both professionally and personally, as an album it's an underrated pop record from the early 2000s. Best songs: 'You Rock My World', 'Cry', 'Butterflies', 'Break of Dawn'

This is old news, from August 2022. I've only just caught up with it. Smooth Radio listeners voted Michael the Smooth Icon 2022.

"After thousands of votes, we have crowned the winner of Smooth Icons 2022!

Michael Jackson was voted by Smooth Radio listeners and SmoothRadio.com readers as the best artist of all time in the fourth annual Smooth Icons countdown, retaining his crown from 2020 and 2021. Over 25,000 votes were cast in the poll, which saw Michael beat 2019's winner George Michael. The highest group was Queen at three, followed by the highest female solo artist Whitney Houston at four, and ABBA at five. Smooth Icons aired on Smooth Radio on Monday (August 29), after an online vote asked listeners to vote for their favourite artists of all time."

@staywild23 - I know you love stuff like this. 🙂
Oh yes!!! I voted in this and followed it happily on Twitter :)

Thank you for tagging me! I really do love stuff like this!

Another old Smooth Radio story, this one from June 2022.

I was very happy to see Invincible at No.6. Smooth Radio said this:

'Invincible' gets an undeserved bad rep. It's only this low because of just how good the other five albums were! While it only spawned a couple of singles and it came out during a difficult time for Michael, both professionally and personally, as an album it's an underrated pop record from the early 2000s. Best songs: 'You Rock My World', 'Cry', 'Butterflies', 'Break of Dawn'
This is true. Invincible is very underrated, I love every song from this album, this album deserves more attention

Back