This Is It costumes: Cool or Tacky?

Smooth72

Proud Member
I thought they were hit or miss, but the misses were unforgivably bad.

The “J5 Medley” suit is gorgeous, and I appreciate the old meets new design for “Billie Jean” and “Thriller.” But the designs for “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” “Man in the Mirror,” and “Heal the World” are terrible.

I like that Zaldy was trying to take MichaelÂ’s style and integrate it into something new and different, but he really overshot it.

I agree some where ok and some would have been just embarrassing. The rehearsal outfits are better in my opinion.

Amaya

Proud Member
I thought they were hit or miss, but the misses were unforgivably bad.

The “J5 Medley” suit is gorgeous, and I appreciate the old meets new design for “Billie Jean” and “Thriller.” But the designs for “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” “Man in the Mirror,” and “Heal the World” are terrible.

I like that Zaldy was trying to take Michael’s style and integrate it into something new and different, but he really overshot it.

Yeah the Heal the World jacket was just ugly as hell. A real "What were they thinking?" moment.

I liked the MITM one though; it looked like something he would normally wear.

Piek

Proud Member
I see all these designs as demo's. It feels like Michael hadn't decided on anything yet. The main reason I think it was all still in a design stage, is that a new outfit for every song seems unpractical. I think it was up to Michael to make some choices, but he never got to that. I also think Zaldy had a lot of fresh ideas (which is good), but Bush probably had more traditional MJ outfits designed. It's very typical for Michael to let several teams work on something, and then choose what he likes the most.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Michael Jackson was not going to wear many of these ZaldyÂ’s outfits because they were too heavy for his thin, gaunt body.

He also called Michael Bush to design outfits for him for these shows, because he did not like certain ZaldyÂ’s outfits that looked rather garish (this is also what Michael Bush revealed in his book).

That is why Michael Bush along with Dennis Tompkins started to create their own, lighter versions of ZaldyÂ’s outfits for the singer to wear for these shows.

For example, for ‘Black Or White’, they created a white shirt (that resembled the original outfit).

Or, for ‘Billie Jean’, they created a lighter jacket that would not light up.

Remember also that Zaldy came to work at the request of Travis Payne, not of Michael Jackson.

MJFAN2434

I really liked all the outfits, they were all cool and the WBSS and Billie Jean outfits look super futuristic and ahead of it's time. The Black Or White jacket probably would've slowed Michael down, especially in his condition, it wouldn't be such a safe jacket for him to wear. The Heal The World jacket is just a masterpiece, no other words needed. Man In The Mirror is eh, it's both cool yet not much compared to other stuff we got. I'd say change the color of the Thriller jacket because the blood is kinda hard to notice. However this is just my personal opinion.

Rockin R

Proud Member
Mike's has been kinda tacky since the 97's but his performance clothes have always been tacky but appropiate. The costumes for THIS IS IT except for the J5 medley suit, I personally think, were not good at all. I was really dissapointed on them. They're really tacky.

Sephiroth820

Proud Member
The WBSS costume have a removable shoulders. MJ would remove them after he get out of light man.

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
Given what we've seen of the costumes, I think Mike would have had them altered to make them lighter and more agile or had Michael Bush make some new stuff for the tour.
A lot of the jackets look more like stuff you'd wear in an interview or press conference than on stage
The Thriller jacket, J5 medley suit and Billie Jean costume were cool though. I always thought it would have been great if they would have kept the lights in the Billie Jean jacket hidden until Mike points before the Moonwalk, that truly would have been magic. Like a bolt of lightning comes out of his glove

analogue

Proud Member
It was have been awesome to see Michael were the full Smooth Criminal costume on stage.