This Is It - Your Analysis

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
So many of us have This Is It on DVD or Blu Ray by now.

What have you seen that has made you think?

I can't remember her name (female choreographer) but she was talking about doing the green screen for the new original content for TDCAU. Her last comment is,
And Michael's coming today
It's as if it's a surprise or a big deal that Michael is actually showing up.

This scene seems to be edited from my version of TII:
[youtube]_4dGJzok71E&feature=player[/youtube]

How many costume changes are there for Michael? Not many. I'd say around 12. So Michael how could they have been filming rehearsals from March - June? Im sure Michael didnt wear those same 12 close over 85 days?

No lean in Smooth Criminal? Not even once?
Light Man suit and costumes not finished?
Tractor and Plane not ready?
One Moonwalk ? (and it wasnt during BJ)
Mike wearing those sunglasses for the whole movie (nearly)?
No Dirty Diana-Dangerous-WATW/HTW? Why weren't these filmed or at least released? Everything else wasnt finished either in the movie.

Doesn't seem like they were ready to go to London in 8 days for a final dress rehearsal when so much wasn't complete.

Last edited:
It is such a great idea to start this thread. I still cannot force myself to watch TII, sorry but wish to read comments here from others. I promise I will watch it soon post my own thoughts about it.

Correct me if I am wrong about this but I don't think they show one whole run through of ANY song but IJCSLY. All the rest are a mix of bits of different days.
During, Wanna Be Starting Something, MJ seems to forget the words sometimes. That and again, it is hacked together from different days.
I get a bad feeling everyone is a little ticked at Michael for not being there all the time. When he is talking to the musical director and working on TWYMMF. Mike says "We need to do a sound check tomorrow night, and don't start unless you have a sound check." The musical director sounds snippy as he says, "I know! That is why we are doing it! We need YOU to do a sound check cause ain't nobody hear what you hear. Somebody else might not wanna have that pause." Or something like that. Mike tells him. "I want it the way I wrote it, so whatever the record is doing, thats how it should sound." Musical director.
"Yeah, that is what it's ganna sound like but we gotta get closer to what you want to hear." There seems to be alot on tension and frustration.
Then of course the "Is there something we aren't understanding here? I've was telling them to start when you turn." Like they were running through it with out MJ. Kenny sounds like a jerk A LOT in the movie. You can really hear in his voice sometimes. I won't even talk about the ear pieces Kenny made him wear. Mike looks like he want to cry at that part.
He is really out of breath during the beat it run through to!
And listen to how he says "I love you too" to Kenny when he is in that cherry picker! It is flat, like he didn't mean it.
Michael is still fabulous to watch but it is not the same, like DI said no Moon Walk during BJ no toe stand. He does a few turns but not those dynamic spins he used to do.
And of course his weight! UGH! It makes me so sad to see him like that! :(

I don't think they were any where near being ready for the concerts in London. So many complicated props and costumes weren't ready, and some songs weren't even rehearsed. How was all of this going to be completed, and then everyone and everything moved to London, by July 13?

Mike comes in to early for 'She's I am the one' after the 'moonwalk break'. He also misses a dance step towards the end of Smooth Criminal and does the on the spot moonwalk before he gets back on cue. And hey we're all gonna have our off days, but this was different.

Whenever he was wearing the orange pants, to be honest, it seemed to me as though he was randomly flailing his arms about 80% of the time, and otherwise generally wasn't dancing very well...didn't look good at all IMO.

What was the date when he was wearing the orange pants? Anyone know?

Some of the choreography for TDCAU are mirrored from the HIStory tour. Strange as to why he did things opposite:
[youtube]H6B2q3wF4Hk[/youtube]
[youtube]pMWwlXHtnwg[/youtube]

[youtube]9wqr9bZzPUM[/youtube]
Also on 0:47 you can see dancers in costume marching in front of background vocalists but you do not see one dress rehearsal with Michael.

Last edited:
Well, watch the making of SC. There are a few scenes where Michael moves so painfully slowly. Also, when he's in that military jacket with Kenny and look at the stage and Kenny says something like "and it tilts like this" Michael says something under his breath, as if he can barely speak. It's painful. There were several "under the radar" reports of him moving too slowly when not on the stage. When on the stage (at least the footage they got and put in the movie) he made his best efforts to perform (as in the past, when he had a nail in his foot but did a whole concert without feeling or complaining).
Overall all the movie is painful for me to watch..but it does give clues as to what he was feeling and his health, so I'm surprised how people still choose to believe he was ready, able, willing

They had never run all the way through the Dirty Diana or the Smooth Criminal numbers!
They never did a dress rehearsal. Stage props weren't ready. None of them were ready, not just Michael. They were 2 weeks away from the stage! No way would of it happened. They had to build all that stuff, test it to make sure it worked and move it to London to set up in the 02 and make sure it worked again! No way.
And yes, it looks by the film that Michael was at only 12 rehearsals.

It is really painful to watch the HIStory clip next to the new one. Look at the difference in his legs!!

^^I If Travis had to hold on to Michael as if he was about to fall any second during Earth Song's rehearsal, how was Michael going to make it through the actual performance?:(

It bothers me to see that Michael was exhibiting signs of some sort of weakness and everyone pretended not to see anything to keep the show rolling.

earthchild- its so hard watching those side by side comparisons too, How can others say that Michael hadn't changed much???

There's a photo of Michael in the TDCAU clothes ( black pants,red shirt with one flap over his pants, and a jacket) and you can see that he's wearing two belts, one is around his waist and the other is two inches lower, just so his pants stay on!). Also, to me he lacks fluidity in his dancing that he always had before. When he danced it seemed so easy and effortless and now to me it is as if he has joint pain all over.
Even given the fact that rehearsals are never fullout, he seems to be in pain, insecure sometimes too, feeling uncomfortable, and the way he expresses the hindrance he experiences with the ear pieces it breaks my heart.

Also, the sunglasses...

I typed in google all together "light sensitivity, weight loss, bruises, lung inflammation" and the first couple of hits are "Lupus and side-effects of Prednisone" in addition some other effects or symptoms are mentioned like weakness and fatigue.
Could it be that he had a recurrence of his lupus but now the SLE kind ( Systemic Lupus Erythematosis) instead of the Discoid Lupus ??

He was definitely not in good health and he was underweight. IMHO

DangerousIncoporated thanks for the comparisons.

I don't know ho people can say "he's always been thin"
He's now like all the vital forces were sucked out of his body :(

There's a photo of Michael in the TDCAU clothes ( black pants,red shirt with one flap over his pants, and a jacket) and you can see that he's wearing two belts, one is around his waist and the other is two inches lower, just so his pants stay on!). Also, to me he lacks fluidity in his dancing that he always had before. When he danced it seemed so easy and effortless and now to me it is as if he has joint pain all over.

I too got impression that he could have some kind of joint pain or back pain when he was dancing in TDCAU. Although sometimes he smiled his movements were stiff IMO.

I too got impression that he could have some kind of joint pain or back pain when he was dancing in TDCAU. Although sometimes he smiled his movements were stiff IMO.

Mike had spoken of having back pain from when the bridge fell on Earth Song for MJ & Friends in 99.

I hadnt noticed this until this youtube video but there are 9 male dancers that are hired. During the Drill rehearsal we see 10 male dancers. The female choreographer mentions turning 11 dancers into 11,000.
[youtube]PVH_HiYgl8g[/youtube]

first time i saw it in october, i thought he was mighty fine! afterwards, each time i watched it, it became more painful. including now. i believe smooth criminal was sung live because on the last note, he seemed to be really out of breath.

anyway, am i mistaken or did KO/RP finally have to admit after the movie was shown that they only captured the last 3 days of rehearsal on film? obvious from the number of clothes he wore.

on another note, there's an article shared here entitled Dancer Recalls MJ's Last Day
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78984

quote:
Celebre had been rehearsing with Jackson in Los Angeles "for three months, eight hours a day..."

- --how they exaggerate! the "And Michael's coming!" from the female choreographer really does seem to indicate that Michael came rarely. that's what i get, too, from his discussion with the guy for TWYMMF. like the guy, Michael Bearden? was saying 'but you have to be here' which means Mike wasn't really always there.

and
quote:
In fact, on June 24, the last day of Jackson's life, director Kenny Ortega staged the show and "we ran through the whole thing and finished at about 1:30 in the morning,"

-- i thought Murray was already starting to give him drugs by 1:30 am...

I hadnt noticed this until this youtube video but there are 9 male dancers that are hired. During the Drill rehearsal we see 10 male dancers. The female choreographer mentions turning 11 dancers into 11,000.
[youtube]PVH_HiYgl8g[/youtube]

there were principle dancers in this is it, and then there were understudies in case one of them couldn't perform one night for whatever reason. this is maybe where the extra dancers come from. wasn't there a third girl too? i could be wrong about that.

All I can say for a start is that Michael did not seem happy to me.
I can tell if a person is happy from their eyes, and I could hardly see Michael's. Even his smile was sad.
It was more like a "goodbye" to me.
I'm going to watch the DVD and put down everything, but what I recall from the film is very painful.

What struck me as very odd was the reference to Gilda.
Gilda's husband was the one who faked his death to deceive the Nazis, right?
A very odd choice for reference, and he places himself to that role!

Also I am still puzzled over the spider and what it stands for.
More to come...

All I can say for a start is that Michael did not seem happy to me.
I can tell if a person is happy from their eyes, and I could hardly see Michael's. Even his smile was sad.

I too can tell how a person is feeling from their eyes and I agree with you, he did not seem happy there overall.

I hope the investigators and LAPD looked at all available footage ( 100 hrs) from This Is It as evidence....

there were principle dancers in this is it, and then there were understudies in case one of them couldn't perform one night for whatever reason. this is maybe where the extra dancers come from. wasn't there a third girl too? i could be wrong about that.

That would explain it. Thank you.

on another note, there's an article shared here entitled Dancer Recalls MJ's Last Day
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78984

quote:
Celebre had been rehearsing with Jackson in Los Angeles "for three months, eight hours a day..."

- --how they exaggerate! the "And Michael's coming!" from the female choreographer really does seem to indicate that Michael came rarely. that's what i get, too, from his discussion with the guy for TWYMMF. like the guy, Michael Bearden? was saying 'but you have to be here' which means Mike wasn't really always there.

and
quote:
In fact, on June 24, the last day of Jackson's life, director Kenny Ortega staged the show and "we ran through the whole thing and finished at about 1:30 in the morning,"

-- i thought Murray was already starting to give him drugs by 1:30 am...
Not that I trust Frank as far as I could throw him but Frank as well as many other people (I cant remember off the top of my head) but they all said it was around midnight they left on June 24/25.

What struck me as very odd was the reference to Gilda.
Gilda's husband was the one who faked his death to deceive the Nazis, right?
A very odd choice for reference, and he places himself to that role!
I always found this very interesting. Believing in a hoax is one thing, to find out there is a reference to a death hoax in TII is very curious:
[youtube]W4j3UjYeSns[/youtube]

The more I watch this movie the worse it gets.
Is Travis making sure Michael doesn't fall down when he is on that raises stage area during Thriller!?
I have noticed now that Michael does a lot of just walking around on the stage. During Jam I really noticed it. He used to be dancing all the time!
I wonder what the dancers wanted to talk to the press about when AEG reminded them of their contracts and non disclosures. The people on the set know stuff! They just can't talk about it.

The more I watch this movie the worse it gets.
Is Travis making sure Michael doesn't fall down when he is on that raises stage area during Thriller!?
I have noticed now that Michael does a lot of just walking around on the stage. During Jam I really noticed it. He used to be dancing all the time!
I wonder what the dancers wanted to talk to the press about when AEG reminded them of their contracts and non disclosures. The people on the set know stuff! They just can't talk about it.
so the dancers were going to talk? wonder what happened...

Why do the rehearsals for "This is it", seems so unfinished? Because they are.

They were never planning on Michael Jackson making it to the opening show.

So why complete it...

so the dancers were going to talk? wonder what happened...

They were told they would loose their 2 year contracts that they signed and could be held liable for breaking the non-diclosure agreements with AEG. Good way to shut everyone up, huh?

^^Oh and I just remembered its a non disclosure agreement. I was thinking of non-compete clause but thats something else altogether.:doh:

I notice on Smooth Criminal why did they switch from the dress rehearsal to the none dress rehearsal. They keep saying Kenny ran through the full show but we are only getting bits and pieces. The more I watch the more I don't like what I see.

I am really angry! How dare they try to pass this movie off as though everything was just fine! How dare they think the fans, that have been watching Michael for over 30 years, weren't going to notice he wasn't up for a show. How dare they use their fancy editing and trickery to try to make themselves out to look like wonderful loving people! It didn't work on me!
I have watched the DVD twice now and I pick up new horrible things each time!
I am so convinced they killed him because they stood to loose so much money!
When Tohme introducted Michael to Thomas Barrack, Michael met him in a wheel chair! So your first thought is to call your buddy to get him doing a big grueling concert run?!?!
No, they planned this from the start perhaps! They are trying to make fools out of all of us and the saddest thing is it has worked on so many fans!
What movie are they watching?
Sorry for the rant but I am so hurt and sad and angry I had to vent.

Back