Three Jacksons' albums will be re-released with bonus songs and the Live will be re-issued

Zack44

Proud Member
This article just came from Rolling Stone:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jacksons-reissues-1120068/

The Jacksons (1976), Goin' Places, and Destiny are going to be re-released (presumably on streaming platforms at least for now) on February 12th. They will each contain a handful of bonus tracks, which are all alternative mixes of pre-existing songs (i.e. the 7" version of Shake Your Body).

Unfortunately, no unreleased material

Also, on March 25th the Jacksons Live album from 1981 will be re-issued on vinyl, which is neat.

Eric

Proud Member
I'm happy the Live album is getting a rerelease on vinyl. I wonder when Destiny and Triumph will be rereleased on vinyl after The Jacksons and Goin Places were rereleased on vinyl 3 years ago.

michael555

Proud Member
At least there's something I never heard of : That's What You Het (For Being Polite) 12" mix... Besides that...nothing more

OnirMJ

Proud Member
I have question.. I'm not familiar with digital releases as I always buy physical CD's. Will I be able somehow to download lossless tracks or it will be only streaming?

Zack44

Proud Member
^ I think they're streaming only, at least for now.

Also, on Spotify, they've already released one of the new alternative mixes from each album as a teaser. Enjoy Yourself (12" mix), Find me a Girl (7" Mix) and the John Luongo Disco mix of Shake Your Body are available to hear. Here's the link for the latter:

https://open.spotify.com/album/17mBTkfPizkhKEszrpWXeU?si=KZw-5DqCRUKXg4TE0QCXTQ

In my opinion, if the sales for the Live vinyl re-issue are strong enough, the estate might consider releasing a concert DVD/Bluray down the line. Personally, I'm holpe they do a Victory album re-release with the unreleased Freddie Mercury demos plus a DVD of a Victory Tour concert.

Fuzball

Proud Member
I have question.. I'm not familiar with digital releases as I always buy physical CD's. Will I be able somehow to download lossless tracks or it will be only streaming?

You should be able to get them from stores which offer lossless downloads, e.g. HDtracks

edit:

so far, only French Qobuz store has listed the upcomming expanded releases.

They'll be only in 24/44.1 while the previous non expanded version are in 24/96 quality.

At least there's something I never heard of : That's What You Het (For Being Polite) 12" mix... Besides that...nothing more

it's only 02:32 minutes

Last edited:

Fuzball

Proud Member
Bummer! I thought it would be an extended thing... this is even shorter than a radio edit!

I think it was used as an appetizer in order to stimulate the LP sales. Beside of that, the b-side of the Destiny 12" was probably used to its maximum extend (the other track is the 7 minutes lasting John Luango mix of BOTB).

Piek

Proud Member
I just listened to the new expanded edition of Destiny. Kinda like the mix by Reverend P.... only the beginning is a bit too repetitive., I think.

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
Listening to these now. 1st notifications this mornin!
1. Thats what you get - 1:52 SOUNDS HORRIBLE! They put a kick & a hat on top of the beat??*??.
2. Show you the way to go 7in ending is longer than the original. I love it!

Last edited:

Piek

Proud Member
'Destiny' is such a great album!

Yes it is! I always call it Michael's first solo album... not to diminish his brothers, absolutely not, but IT IS a Michael Jackson album. It's him singing all lead vocals, except for Bless His Soul (which is kind of a duet with Michael and Jackie). He has songwriting credits on all the songs, except for Blame It On The Boogie. And most of all: this is Michael performing without Quincy, Teddy, Bill or Rodney, this is Michael sounding great without the recording wizardry of Bruce Swedien, this is... mainly him. And his brothers of course, but I think I am not the only one to believe Michael had the upper hand when working with his brothers...

That's what makes Destiny so interesting to me. It's sort of unfiltered MJ. This is what he wanted to record, in 1978. I like it a lot.

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
Yes it is! I always call it Michael's first solo album... not to diminish his brothers, absolutely not, but IT IS a Michael Jackson album. It's him singing all lead vocals, except for Bless His Soul (which is kind of a duet with Michael and Jackie). He has songwriting credits on all the songs, except for Blame It On The Boogie. And most of all: this is Michael performing without Quincy, Teddy, Bill or Rodney, this is Michael sounding great without the recording wizardry of Bruce Swedien, this is... mainly him. And his brothers of course, but I think I am not the only one to believe Michael had the upper hand when working with his brothers...

That's what makes Destiny so interesting to me. It's sort of unfiltered MJ. This is what he wanted to record, in 1978. I like it a lot.
I rarely hear the brothers on any of those songs. I bet they aren't on alot of songs. Mjs bkgv are apparent

NuTNC

Proud Member
it's album review time: The Jacksons - first 3 albums re-released
good remastered but bad is That's What You Get (For Being Polite) [DJ Reverend P Remix]

Maxym

Not excited at all ... I think that most remasters from after year 2000 sound awful (the Jacksons albums and Thriller are the most acceptable cases I can think of though, all kinds of artists included), I don't like remixes (except exceptions), just a few of the single mixes are actually longer than the album versions...

Dart_Jack

Proud Member

Randy's contribution was enormous. In fact, he was the main writer of Shake Your Body. Michael joined later. Randy was the initiator of the melody. And in other songs he also made a serious contribution.

The writing of the album is not very typical of Michael's songwriting style (when he wrote alone). Except maybe "All Night Dancin".

Maxym

The writing of the album is not very typical of Michael's songwriting style (when he wrote alone). Except maybe "All Night Dancin".

Really? Not sure if it's what you are pointing at, but I sometimes wonder where all these "I'm gonna go out and dance" songs influence came from (maybe from J5 era) and why they completely disappeared starting from Thriller.

Also, I knew that Blame It On The Boogie was written by someone else, but I wasn't aware that it is actually a cover: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blame_It_on_the_Boogie

Piek

Proud Member
The remaining three albums will be release in Expanded Version on This April 8: Triumph, Victory and 2300 Jackson Street
Add tracks
Triumph - Can You Feel It [Remixes]: MLK Remix, Island Remix and Kirk Franklin Remix
2300 Jackson Street - Art of Madness (Percapella)
Cr.: https://twitter.com/RobLives4Love/status/1372767419370856452

You can already see them in the iTunes Store:

Triumph (Expanded Version)
Victory (Expanded Version)
2300 Jackson Street (Expanded Version)

Maxym

mjchris

Proud Member
Does someone know how to get the US Version for "The Jackson - Live" in Europe. Buying from Amazon USA is now totally expensive. 35 Euro incl. taxes.

Maxym

Are you talking of the Hi-Res quality ?
Because from Belgium for Triumph and Victory I see CD quality at 18,99 and 21,99.
16,99 would match the "Hi Res" for the first three albums.
2300 is the more expensive (more tracks I guess).

R1chard

Proud Member
I've got them all except Goin' Places. My biggest question is, will they sound like overcompressed garbage like nearly all remasters?

Maxym

will they sound like overcompressed garbage like nearly all remasters?

Probably, because it needs to sound louder for deaf people ;-)

I'm usually allergic to overcompressed and bass/drums enriched reissues.
But, I'm not disturbed by the Jacksons 2008 remasters and such. Also I thought that Thriller's remasters are OK (though I can hear the difference if I listen to various released to compare them. (Other than these, I keep away from remasters as much as possible.)
So I still have hope that they didn't screw up these one yet.

Anyone who got the first three albums 2021 release has compared ?

Maxym

I'm considering buy some of them ... those with the most appealing extras ... but in case can someone give me a description of how bad the mastering is?

Maxym

The remastered may be the equivalent of 2009.

I have not bought anything yet and I don't feel any rush to do so but

Somebody sent those( the song is Things I Do For You from Destiny).

I think that it's only an hint, not as a real listening test. But also listen to the tracks on YouTube, they sound somewhat worse for 2021.

2008 remaster:
TIDFY-30th-Anniv-Snip.jpg

2021:
TIDFY-Expanded-snip.jpg

Zack44

Proud Member
In case you guys didn't know. three of the songs on the extended edition of 2300 Jackson Street are non-album tracks/B-sides that, until now, were incredibly rare and seldom heard by the public.

Keep Her:

When I Look At You:

Please Come Back To Me:

Also, I feel like they missed a perfect opportunity to include the live recording of "If You'd Only Believe" from the 1994 Jacksons Family Honors, which has completely different lyrics from the album version and also features Michael singing (and also Celine Dion for some reason)

Maxym

Also, I feel like they missed a perfect opportunity to include ...

They also forgot "Time out for the burglar".

(Regarding If You'd Only Believe, if I remember well there are guests involved, that can make things harder regarding rights.)

Maxym

I know, but since it isn't related to any album, I think it would fit better with 2300 than with Victory.

Don't forget also that MJ released a Dangerous song on Thriller reissues...

Fuzball

Proud Member
For All Time was previously unreleased when it was issued on T25. With Burglar this wouldn't be the case.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Burglar

I know, but since it isn't related to any album, I think it would fit better with 2300 than with Victory.
Burglar is on a soundtrack on a different label (MCA). So Sony would have to license it from MCA (or whoever owns their catalog now) to use it. The Wiz soundtrack & E.T. Storybook were also originally released on MCA.

Maxym

Not related to any *Jacksons* album. And then, Someone In The Dark was also on Thriller 2001 and on TUC.

I mean, I think things would have been more complete if they hadn't left this track out, and the best place for it would have been with 2300.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Universal

Not related to any *Jacksons* album. And then, Someone In The Dark was also on Thriller 2001 and on TUC.

I mean, I think things would have been more complete if they hadn't left this track out, and the best place for it would have been with 2300.
I just found out that Universal owns MCA Records today. So it might be possible that the original master recordings for the Burglar soundtrack do not exist anymore. A lot of Universal's music master recordings and original film reels were burned up in a warehouse fire in 2008, which was just reported 2 or 3 years ago in a magazine article. Many artists were not aware their masters were gone until the article. I don't know when Universal bought MCA though, it could have been after the fire.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Same for E.T. Storybook then?

If it was in the fire, then yes. But I don't know if it was there or not. I remember it was said that some of Janet Jackson's masters were in the fire. Janet was on A&M and later Virgin, she was never on MCA. Here's a thread about the fire if you're interested:
The Day The Music Burned.

I just checked, Time Out For Burglar is not on any streaming sites like Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, or iTunes. It's on Youtube, but not any official uploads, only a few people posting their record/tape copies. Apparently the entire soundtrack is out of print. I don't think the movie was a big hit either, so I don't see the soundtrack being re-released.

brnaryn

Proud Member
In case you guys didn't know. three of the songs on the extended edition of 2300 Jackson Street are non-album tracks/B-sides that, until now, were incredibly rare and seldom heard by the public.

Keep Her:

When I Look At You:

Please Come Back To Me:

Also, I feel like they missed a perfect opportunity to include the live recording of "If You'd Only Believe" from the 1994 Jacksons Family Honors, which has completely different lyrics from the album version and also features Michael singing (and also Celine Dion for some reason)

Where I Look At You is an awesome song. I can't believe I've never heard this song until now.

Another thing I discovered in these reissues is the 7" version of "Wait" from Victory. It is one thing for it to just be a radio edit but in this case it is a different mix entirely, which is a treat to listen to.

R1chard

Proud Member
I think that it's only an hint, not as a real listening test. But also listen to the tracks on YouTube, they sound somewhat worse for 2021.

2008 remaster:
TIDFY-30th-Anniv-Snip.jpg

2021:
TIDFY-Expanded-snip.jpg
Oof. That's absolutely terrible.

I was gonna buy Goin Places and Victory, but after seeing that, I never will.

That's an insult to everybody involved with recording those albums, and nobody here should have anything to do with this disgraceful garbage.

Maxym

Based on YouTube, I'm not sure if they sound so terrible. I have the feeling they are not among the worst remasters...
I guess I'll buy Victory or 2300 at some point and then decide if I buy more. (but I don't think that the first three have much appealing content to them).

brnaryn

Proud Member
Oof. That's absolutely terrible.

I was gonna buy Goin Places and Victory, but after seeing that, I never will.

That's an insult to everybody involved with recording those albums, and nobody here should have anything to do with this disgraceful garbage.

Atleast they are not brickwalled. It is better than I was expecting it to be. It doesn't beat the 2008 remaster though.

Maxym

I finally bought the 2021 digital re-issues (all of them except Live)

My first impressions after comparing a few tracks here and there (it's really a first impression so my opinion could change later)
The Jacksons: Disappointed by remaster, it's the type of remaster where vocal get "swallowed" by instrument tracks ... but it's not disturbing all the time, most of it is still quite listenable.
Goin Places: Didn't compare.
Victory: Not sure if it's remastered or it just plays louder, which doesn't seem like a bad thing. (Edit: yeah I think it's slightly remastered, but rather well done actually bringing some more details in sound)
2300: I think that this one is untouched, sounds the same as some random old CD (so, perfect for me).
Others: Remastered somewhat further than 2008 versions, but I didn't find it too "destructive", they're still quite enjoyable.

(Now I'm not that good at decomposing music I'm hearing so I may have missed stuff.)

Last edited:

R1chard

Proud Member
Based on YouTube, I'm not sure if they sound so terrible. I have the feeling they are not among the worst remasters....
There's no excuse though. It's not about "not being the worst". It's about being the best. When you're buying a second copy of something you've already paid for, why settle for something that isn't as good as the previous version? It's not ok just because you can find a version that's even worse.

I have too much self-respect than to tolerate that. Sony need to earn the money, and on this occasion they haven't.

Skylover

Proud Member
I've noticed Jackie and Randy solo albums are now on streaming sites. It wasn't always the case, at least in Europe.

Top Bottom