Three Jacksons' albums will be re-released with bonus songs and the Live will be re-issued

Maxym

Proud Member
Also, I feel like they missed a perfect opportunity to include ...

They also forgot "Time out for the burglar".

(Regarding If You'd Only Believe, if I remember well there are guests involved, that can make things harder regarding rights.)

Maxym

Proud Member
I know, but since it isn't related to any album, I think it would fit better with 2300 than with Victory.

Don't forget also that MJ released a Dangerous song on Thriller reissues...

Fuzball

Proud Member
For All Time was previously unreleased when it was issued on T25. With Burglar this wouldn't be the case.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Burglar

I know, but since it isn't related to any album, I think it would fit better with 2300 than with Victory.
Burglar is on a soundtrack on a different label (MCA). So Sony would have to license it from MCA (or whoever owns their catalog now) to use it. The Wiz soundtrack & E.T. Storybook were also originally released on MCA.

Maxym

Proud Member
Not related to any *Jacksons* album. And then, Someone In The Dark was also on Thriller 2001 and on TUC.

I mean, I think things would have been more complete if they hadn't left this track out, and the best place for it would have been with 2300.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Universal

Not related to any *Jacksons* album. And then, Someone In The Dark was also on Thriller 2001 and on TUC.

I mean, I think things would have been more complete if they hadn't left this track out, and the best place for it would have been with 2300.
I just found out that Universal owns MCA Records today. So it might be possible that the original master recordings for the Burglar soundtrack do not exist anymore. A lot of Universal's music master recordings and original film reels were burned up in a warehouse fire in 2008, which was just reported 2 or 3 years ago in a magazine article. Many artists were not aware their masters were gone until the article. I don't know when Universal bought MCA though, it could have been after the fire.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Same for E.T. Storybook then?

If it was in the fire, then yes. But I don't know if it was there or not. I remember it was said that some of Janet Jackson's masters were in the fire. Janet was on A&M and later Virgin, she was never on MCA. Here's a thread about the fire if you're interested:
The Day The Music Burned.

I just checked, Time Out For Burglar is not on any streaming sites like Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, or iTunes. It's on Youtube, but not any official uploads, only a few people posting their record/tape copies. Apparently the entire soundtrack is out of print. I don't think the movie was a big hit either, so I don't see the soundtrack being re-released.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
DuranDuran;4321805 said:

If it was in the fire, then yes. But I don't know if it was there or not. I remember it was said that some of Janet Jackson's masters were in the fire. Janet was on A&M and later Virgin, she was never on MCA. Here's a thread about the fire if you're interested:
The Day The Music Burned.

I just checked, Time Out For Burglar is not on any streaming sites like Amazon, Spotify, Tidal, or iTunes. It's on Youtube, but not any official uploads, only a few people posting their record/tape copies. Apparently the entire soundtrack is out of print. I don't think the movie was a big hit either, so I don't see the soundtrack being re-released.

Janet Jackson's masters are apparently still safe and exist because they were not destroyed by the 2008 fire.

Universal Music stated that this New York Times article (‘The Day The Music Burned, The Story Of The 2008 Universal Fire’) is misleading.

According to Universal Music, this New York Times article contains “numerous inaccuracies, misleading statements, contradictions and fundamental misunderstandings of the scope of the incident and affected assets”, and as a result this article gives a false, exaggerated presentation of the actual damage by the fire in 2008.

Universal Music stated also in July (2019) that only 22 masters were destroyed by the fire.

These 22 masters are associated with five specific artists (Janet Jackson is not among these five artists).

Universal Music even revealed that they located safety copies and duplicate masters for each one of these destroyed by the fire 22 masters.

brnaryn

Proud Member
In case you guys didn't know. three of the songs on the extended edition of 2300 Jackson Street are non-album tracks/B-sides that, until now, were incredibly rare and seldom heard by the public.

Keep Her:

When I Look At You:

Please Come Back To Me:

Also, I feel like they missed a perfect opportunity to include the live recording of "If You'd Only Believe" from the 1994 Jacksons Family Honors, which has completely different lyrics from the album version and also features Michael singing (and also Celine Dion for some reason)

Where I Look At You is an awesome song. I can't believe I've never heard this song until now.

Another thing I discovered in these reissues is the 7" version of "Wait" from Victory. It is one thing for it to just be a radio edit but in this case it is a different mix entirely, which is a treat to listen to.

R1chard

Proud Member
I think that it's only an hint, not as a real listening test. But also listen to the tracks on YouTube, they sound somewhat worse for 2021.

2008 remaster:
TIDFY-30th-Anniv-Snip.jpg

2021:
TIDFY-Expanded-snip.jpg
Oof. That's absolutely terrible.

I was gonna buy Goin Places and Victory, but after seeing that, I never will.

That's an insult to everybody involved with recording those albums, and nobody here should have anything to do with this disgraceful garbage.

Maxym

Proud Member
Based on YouTube, I'm not sure if they sound so terrible. I have the feeling they are not among the worst remasters...
I guess I'll buy Victory or 2300 at some point and then decide if I buy more. (but I don't think that the first three have much appealing content to them).

brnaryn

Proud Member
Oof. That's absolutely terrible.

I was gonna buy Goin Places and Victory, but after seeing that, I never will.

That's an insult to everybody involved with recording those albums, and nobody here should have anything to do with this disgraceful garbage.

Atleast they are not brickwalled. It is better than I was expecting it to be. It doesn't beat the 2008 remaster though.

Maxym

Proud Member
I finally bought the 2021 digital re-issues (all of them except Live)

My first impressions after comparing a few tracks here and there (it's really a first impression so my opinion could change later)
The Jacksons: Disappointed by remaster, it's the type of remaster where vocal get "swallowed" by instrument tracks ... but it's not disturbing all the time, most of it is still quite listenable.
Goin Places: Didn't compare.
Victory: Not sure if it's remastered or it just plays louder, which doesn't seem like a bad thing. (Edit: yeah I think it's slightly remastered, but rather well done actually bringing some more details in sound)
2300: I think that this one is untouched, sounds the same as some random old CD (so, perfect for me).
Others: Remastered somewhat further than 2008 versions, but I didn't find it too "destructive", they're still quite enjoyable.

(Now I'm not that good at decomposing music I'm hearing so I may have missed stuff.)

Last edited:

R1chard

Proud Member
Based on YouTube, I'm not sure if they sound so terrible. I have the feeling they are not among the worst remasters....
There's no excuse though. It's not about "not being the worst". It's about being the best. When you're buying a second copy of something you've already paid for, why settle for something that isn't as good as the previous version? It's not ok just because you can find a version that's even worse.

I have too much self-respect than to tolerate that. Sony need to earn the money, and on this occasion they haven't.

Skylover

Proud Member
I've noticed Jackie and Randy solo albums are now on streaming sites. It wasn't always the case, at least in Europe.

Skylover

Proud Member
[video=youtube;aJWWAdmXRT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJWWAdmXRT8[/video]

Features a Jackie appearance.

Fuzball

Proud Member
I've noticed Jackie and Randy solo albums are now on streaming sites. It wasn't always the case, at least in Europe.

Thanks for notifying about these.

Was Jackie's album ever released on CD?

Maxym

Proud Member
I just realised that the Live album from Qobuz titled "Live (24/44 version) (Live from the 1981 U.S. Tour)" is now available at 96.000 Hz and 192.000 Hz instead of just 44.1 Hz.

Regarding the other albums they're available in high sample rate too, but not the expanded versions.

When things get updated this way months after released... I wonder if you truely get more data in it... maybe... I bought the extended albums but not the live reissue yet.