To Make My Father Proud

It's an amazing song. I like it very much. It really amazes me with how much emotion and passion he could/can sing with. Even at that young age. That's what I call talent. That's what makes me feel proud to be a MJ fan.

If you like that song, listen to "Girl Don't Take Your Love From Me" as well. I would love for him to do an album of songs that he originally recorded as a child including these two songs.

Michael has lots of beautiful ballads from his motown days that literally stop me in my tracks and bring shivers down my spine everytime io hear him sing. It is almost unreal for a little boy to sing like that.

It is almost unreal for a little boy to sing like that.

It is...:) Talents come and go, but no one is as talented as Michael was/is. Am I narrow-minded? :unsure: I don't know, that is just my opinion. His singing always brings smile on my face.

No, you're not close-minded. Michael is freakishly talented and I've never seen anyone with as much talent as he has. I always say you can tell who truly is innately gifted and who has more of an acquired skill based on what they were capable of as children. For instance, if you compare Michael and his vocal and dance ability as a child to say, Justin Timberlake at the same age, you'll see that Michael was and continues to be pure, raw talent while someone like Timberlake is more of someone who practiced and practiced and became decent, a person with mostly acquired skill and minimal talent, while someone like Michael is just talent, through and through. It's obvious from the difference in quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I like that choir in the background too. I totally agree with you wannabestartinsomethin21. Though it is only obvious for people who know the difference...between real extra talent and talent. I mean, (just) by today's low standards someone could think Timberlake (for example) is a good singer. Nah, I don't want to start with that.

That's the voice of a gifted musician right there.
Michaels ability to emote the way he does on so many songs is quite
obvious, as well on this one. The control he has is amazing.
Beautiful song. Done by a beautiful person.

To make my father proud
To make my mother smile
I need not conquere worlds, or fame,
Not set, the pace for style

If I can follow through
on, what they gave me as my tools,
I'll find a way to sail my course
Avoiding ships of fools

If I don't come up, number one
I'll stand not well apart
As one for numbered numbers
When knowing in my heart

Ive done all to be done
To always do my best
By listening to me, myself
So he can do or else
(Of without compromise,
Shall follow the feel of constant care)

In my eleven hour
I'll be a man the way
To face whatever falls my way
Prepared that are a shame
To just be called a part of God

For which I have been named
A man and a woman's youngest son
while growing, still a child
And that will make my father proud
And make my mother smile...
(Proud)

that ending... MAN!! It always gets me... I have people listen to just the last 10 or so seconds all the time.. lol!

that ending... MAN!! It always gets me... I have people listen to just the last 10 or so seconds all the time.. lol!
True. I often wonder if Michael ever play any of these songs for his children at all and what they think of them.

Yeah, the ending is powerful. Michael's voice is so pure that in the quality itself, it emotes so strongly.

Datysmay, I bet Michael's kids would freak out if they heard him and then he told them he was only a few years older then them or the same age, or younger, lol. I bet they wouldn't believe it. He must have shown them some of his childhood performances by now though, at least, you would think.

awww....this is BEAUTIFUL!!!! that michael man, he ALWAYS gets me.....lol

Thanks for posting wbss21, the emotion and control in his voice is what draws you into his songs, it's his natural ability that sets him apart from others. 'Mama's Pearl' is another of my favourites that shows pure natural ability.

Back