Trend, female empowerment in Disney movies

It's more common to see in movies Disney princesses being more independent, not needing men to save them if they're in distress. On a positive side, it's kind of refreshing Disney is getting rid of old fashioned clichés like needing princes to solve their problems and to be happy, giving them a voice, intelligence and courage on their own.

The negative aspects IMO are that having princesses as role models continues to be a dated stereotype and in some current films such female empowerment looks forced and not believable. Pocahontas and Mulan were predecessors of Tianna, Merida, Elsa and Ana but their courage and independence were achieved better than in those current movies. Well, I enjoyed Brave, The Princess and The Frog a little more, Merida and Tianna were more charismatic. That's why I hate this Frozen meme, fortunately I found the improved version.

Funniest_Memes_frozen-the-first-disney-movie-to-teach-girls_6864.jpeg

I'm totally in favor Disney is showing modernized (in a way) versions as role models but what it was done to the movie Maleficent was an abomination. I wanted to like the movie but they ruined the most bad ass witch ever, Maleficent was selfish and evil, I don't remember she was a fairy in the original, wasn't she? With princess Aurora they did what I talked about earlier and I didn't buy it TBH. The only thing I loved was Angelina's costume with the horns covering her entire head.

Do you think society no longer needs princesses as role models too?

Back