Unreleased "Apocalypse Now" song info in RHYTHM magazine

markmark11

Proud Member
Some new info for u guys...
According to the NEW issue of Rhythm magazine (a UK drum magazine) which has interviews with all of MJ's major drummers... one guy called JR Robinson who is one of MJ's album drummers, said he laid down tons of drum parts for an unreleased BAD album song called "Apocalypse Now".
He said he wrote and recorded 6 and a half minutes of "military drum cadences for it" and he also mentions 3 other musicians he used to lay down percussion for this track to. He called it a 'very hip tune'.

Thats it. Small info but good info for music lovers!

I remember Janet once saying Michael wanted a military theme for a video during the Bad era. He could have at one pointed wanted a military sounding song for the video.

the article is cool, ita all about the music and none of the other tabloid trash. there's a cool story of the time a bottle broke when MJ and the same drummer where drumming on bottles to get sounds sounds for Workin Day And Night... the drummer smashed his bottle and MJ when.. 'OH JR!' and took out pieces of the glass from the dudes arm. the drummer JR remembers this as a high point in his relationship with MJ, and as an example of MJ's good nature... buy the mag if u see it! also has cool pics of mj with some of the drummer on and off stage, one or 2 are rare.

Cool article and interesting info. Thanks for posting! Hope we get to hear this one day.

So is it just the music or is there lyrics for it as well? Did Michael write it?

This proves once again that we still ignorant about the songs in MJ's vault , we still don't know the numbers of songs he recorded, we discover things every day, what we know about the number of songs he recorded is pure speculation......

This makes me wonder if the estate has EVERYTHING. There must be stuff out there they don't. Look at the Cascio tracks for example.

mj did very detailed demo's before he went to the studio and paid musicians, so I think if these 3-4 guys played over 6 min of music for the drums an dpecusion alone, in the studio during the making of bad there has to be voclas.
also we all know there are hundreds of unreleased songs, even though the estate suggests there are about 60, they say that to get people excited, so every new cd is made to feel important and special,
they probably fear that if they said there is hundreds of songs any new album would not be so special. and later on they can alwyas go, wow! we found more. also sony would not have paid 250 million unless they knew there was tons of music to look through and pick the best. so i think we will have some amazing finds in the years to come.!

how amazing was the acapella demo to beat it on the this is it cd! imagine what other demos sound like! heck, even his demos sound amazing... and some time he did 3 or more versions... anyway I am not able to scan but since the mag is in lots of shops in the uk and has just come out perhaps some1 else can do it. i got mine in tower records.

u know where MJ keeps all the albums he did over the years, u know the original tapes... all mj's unreleased songs are keep in a storage place with all his original album masters... all the people that work on his studio stuff mention how they would send for stuff when they needed to work on something to be brought to the studio.
as for the Cascio tracks for example. this is from roger friedman, he's not the mj bible, God he thought when MJ sang water water in this is it, that was a new song, it was not, it was mj being mj and playing when told to hydrate himself.
same with la toya claimin MJ had stuff lying around a hard drive, more rubbish. it's all kept safe, and looked after. and will be out in bit and pieces over the years. heck they still slowly release elvis stuff from his studio work 30 yrs after he died.

I remember Janet once saying Michael wanted a military theme for a video during the Bad era. He could have at one pointed wanted a military sounding song for the video.

exactly what i was gonna say! he wanted to use a military themed video, but janet pleaded with him to let her do it, so he let her do it - and that let to rhythm nation!

maybe this became TDCAU later?

possibly! apparently MJ wrote TDCAU in 1989!

The Cascio tracks are legit. The estate did not know about them but now has them.

if we live long enough we will find out one day!

i think that if it was tdcau the drummer probably would have mentioned that, or if it was an 'early version'...? but then again streetwalker is supposed to be an early version of dangerous and I dont hear that when i hear them 2 songs! they sound like 2 diff songs, thats why i believe MJ has so much stuff stored SAFELY.

we have NO evidence other than roger friedman and tmz about the Cascio tracks, and I personally don't trust any of them supposed 'friends' of MJ. so i don't belief it.
but either way it doesn't matter, becasue ONLY MJJ's estate can release his songs!
So whatever anyone claims to have, it's MJJ Inc who own them! end of story.

if we live long enough we will find out one day!

i think that if it was tdcau the drummer probably would have mentioned that, or if it was an 'early version'...? but then again streetwalker is supposed to be an early version of dangerous and I dont hear that when i hear them 2 songs! they sound like 2 diff songs, thats why i believe MJ has so much stuff stored SAFELY.

Well as far as 'Streetwalker' and 'Dangerous'...the only similiarities i hear is the beat on the early version of 'Dangerous' (the one on The Ultimate Collection) and the beat on 'Streetwalker'

when we get the album near xmas we should find out more regarding the quality of unreleased songs... I remember reading in 95 when Lisa Marie & MJ were interviewed TOGETHER for a magazine she said he was going to leave SMILE off HIStory, he said she convinced him to put it on! So if thats what he leaves off albums imagine whats stored away! also there is a very early printed version of Dangerous cd and artwork too without Will U B There on the album, it's on that collector site!
Imagine we had no 'will u be there' for the last 18 yrs!!!

i hope for some people the new cd doesn't feature some of the dangerous bonus tracks cd... i think some people will kill themselves ;- )

when we get the album near xmas we should find out more regarding the quality of unreleased songs... I remember reading in 95 when Lisa Marie & MJ were interviewed TOGETHER for a magazine she said he was going to leave SMILE off HIStory, he said she convinced him to put it on! So if thats what he leaves off albums imagine whats stored away! also there is a very early printed version of Dangerous cd and artwork too without Will U B There on the album, it's on that collector site!
Imagine we had no 'will u be there' for the last 18 yrs!!!

i hope for some people the new cd doesn't feature some of the dangerous bonus tracks cd... i think some people will kill themselves ;- )

You make a very good point. If Michael was going to leave off songs like Will You Be There (one of my favorite songs) and Smile, just imagine what other songs he's kept away. They are probably fantastic and some of the best for all we know. I hope one day we find out.

Dangerous is my favorite album next to Off The Wall, so I'm anxious to hear any outtakes from it. :) lol.

Cheers for the heads-up. Unfortunately for me I'm outside the UK right now but having looked at the mag's official site, that July issue seems absolutely awesome.

You can order this issue here.

rhy178cover-460-100-460-70.jpg

THE DRUMMERS OF MICHAEL JACKSON

... and the beats that shaped his greatest hits. A year on from his death, Rhythm gains a unique insight into the King of Pop's work and legacy thanks to in-depth interviews with the drummers that played on the tracks we all know and love, from the Jacksons to last year's This Is It rehearsals. Find out what JR Robinson, Leon Ndugu Chancler, Ricky Lawson, Jonathan Moffett and Bashiri Johnson have to say about their time working up-close-and-personal with Jackson, the gear they used and the memories they have. Read the full story in our epic ten-page cover feature.

INTERVIEWED

Creighton Barrett (Band Of Horses)
Jack Bevan (Foals)
Cindy Blackman
Eric Kretz (Stone Temple Pilots)
David Garibaldi (Tower Of Power)
Joey Jordison (Slipknot/Rob Zombie)
Scott Asheton (Iggy and the Stooges)

…and more

ON THE RHYTHM CD

Playalong tracks (including full backing tracks) featuring hits from Deftones, Michael Jackson and Fall Out Boy

Video lessons
 from a host of world-class tutors

Exclusive guest lesson from Johnny Jenkins (Lily Allen, The Streets)

I also set up another thread for listing all the new MJ 1st year anniversary magazines,/books etc. If we list them as we see them, then as fans we can all see what is out there and decide what magazine or books we want to buy, also tv too.

here is link http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92984

ALSO, regarding Smile/will u b there... I think MJ was careful not to do too many ballads as he had done so many for Motown, plus lets be honest MJ could sing a ballad in his sleep he probably wanted more of an artistic challenge.

Thanks for good replies happy people enjoy such new info, I know i do!

Last edited:
Wow thanks, I'm gonna look for the magazine tomorrow and buy it.

This sounds like a really good title, I hope to hear it one day :)

exactly what i was gonna say! he wanted to use a military themed video, but janet pleaded with him to let her do it, so he let her do it - and that let to rhythm nation!!

I would have loved for MJ to have done a military type short film, as much as I love Janet and the Rhythm Nation video. Janet's is iconic, imagine what MJ's military short film would be like !!!

Back