Was "30th Anniversairy Concert" redubbed (for the release)?

JEMFTV

Proud Member
Just watched this amateur footage of the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daki_NLFu6M
And i noticed some differences to the "WOWOWO"-version, MJ sometimes sounds differently and stuff.
Were some lines of songs redubbed, so that they woulds sound better in the release??

The broadcasted version shown on TV stations was actually an edit of both shows on September 7th and 10th.

I believe some fans claim that the vocals were 'manipulated' in some way. I haven't investigated myself.

MJ's face did appear airbrushed on the broadcast so they certainly manipulated the visuals.

I remember reports of the visual being manipulated but it was so long ago since I actually paid attention that I don't know.. vocally I thought they just picked the better vocal of which ever show while editing.. (could be wrong)

Side note I do believe there were some visual alterations to Rock My World. Might sound strange but there is 1 part I legit think it could be a digital alter. CGI style

I mean it's obvious. It all was a mix to make everything prefect for broadcast

Never heard about audio changes but it doesn't surprise me. I think Michael said in an interview that one of the two shows had a lot of problems so I can understand the need to make a hybrid of both concerts.

I remember reports of the visual being manipulated but it was so long ago since I actually paid attention that I don't know.. vocally I thought they just picked the better vocal of which ever show while editing.. (could be wrong)

The main visual manipulation I heard about back then involved Whitney Houston. There was a before and after comparison shown somewhere that it seem like she was actually deathly ill/skeleton-like during the show. I also remember Entertainment Tonight making some claim that Michael's skin was "digitally lightened" which sounded like bullshit then and still does now.

Never heard about audio changes but it doesn't surprise me. I think Michael said in an interview that one of the two shows had a lot of problems so I can understand the need to make a hybrid of both concerts.

The main visual manipulation I heard about back then involved Whitney Houston. There was a before and after comparison shown somewhere that it seem like she was actually deathly ill/skeleton-like during the show. I also remember Entertainment Tonight making some claim that Michael's skin was "digitally lightened" which sounded like bullshit then and still does now.

They added a blur effect to MJ's cheeks and WH's neck area to cover both stars' physical imperfections. The changes were heavily documented back in 2001, and WH confirmed they had taken place in an interview.

It was. Some vocals were dubbed when he performed with his brothers. I don't remember which song but it was really obvious. Also the beginning of the The Way You Make Me Feel has been edited. It was completely live in the concerts but they dubbed parts of it.

I always thought the show was intended to be a hybrid and I'd imagine they would overdub vocals. Isn't that just kinda routine?

I remember Whitney talking about Photoshop about a picture but not the show itself. Hard to imagine any visual altering since everybody looks like death warmed over in it. Broke my heart.

I always thought the show was intended to be a hybrid and I'd imagine they would overdub vocals. Isn't that just kinda routine?

Overdubbing vocals? Absolutely not.

I remember Whitney talking about Photoshop about a picture but not the show itself.

If you watch the footage back you can quite clearly see blurring of Michael's face.

Overdubbing vocals? Absolutely not.

If you watch the footage back you can quite clearly see blurring of Michael's face.
ok about the overdub. The blurring-Is it in every view or certain parts?
I haven't seen it in years and don't remember that.

ok about the overdub. The blurring-Is it in every view or certain parts?
I haven't seen it in years and don't remember that.

there's only blurring in close ups, less obvious in wide shots.

They should airbrush the shows out of history.

The worst blip in a stellar career.

Very sad to watch.

Very sad to watch.

I agree it's sad to watch. The 30th anniversary shows make the HIStory Tour look like the BAD Tour

I heard the exact opposite lol! that they darkened his skin for 30th anniv.. I don't know if true but I will say at times it does seem like there is a dark shade on his face when it really does not seem to be naturally lit.. IDK!

Very sad to watch.

Id find it very hard to watch considering everything else we have. Lots of things seemed off for me.

Id find it very hard to watch considering everything else we have. Lots of things seemed off for me.

Michael's didn't look confident at all to me. This was the same guy who said he's most comfortable when he's on stage. So, yeah. Something was off. Michael was not in the best shape for these shows. Physically and mentally

Overdubbing vocals? Absolutely not

Sorry to break it to you but the vocals were dubbed on some parts for sure and Michael himself recorded them in the studio OR they were the rehearsal audio was used

How do I know this?

Simple

Just listen to shake your body, on the broadcasted version and the amateur version from BOTH nights

There are parts that weren't even sung on the amateur nights but magically they appeared on the broadcast.

Sorry to break it to you but the vocals were dubbed on some parts for sure and Michael himself recorded them in the studio OR they were the rehearsal audio was used

How do I know this?

Simple

Just listen to shake your body, on the broadcasted version and the amateur version from BOTH nights

There are parts that weren't even sung on the amateur nights but magically they appeared on the broadcast.

Ive always thought the vocals were either pre recorded or dubbed afterwards.

Am I the only one who things that his vocals in Dancing Machine seem... I dunno, out of key or something?

Also, the high note at the end of I'll Be There, regardless of how impressive, always seemed odd and out of place.

Am I the only one who things that his vocals in Dancing Machine seem... I dunno, out of key or something?

Also, the high note at the end of I'll Be There, regardless of how impressive, always seemed odd and out of place.

The high note in I'll Be There is there in the amateur version the 2nd concert.

The whole dancing machine was off starting with mj missing the robot naturally instead of the rollin neck & arms thing. His pop locking was real cool after billie jean. Imo he basically did the exact same moves he did with nsync on the mtv awards thing. 2ndly he brought out nsync...he could've just left it alone. Rhythmly tho they sounded prefect starting with "rhythmatic acrobatic....." but yea it almost sound like 2000watts

Very sad to watch.
Agreed-I don't even know why I was asking about overdubbing and airbrushing/blurring-because I know I'm not going to go back and watch it again-

I watched the actual show on TV and maybe once or twice in the last seven years-and it's just hurtful. All I see and hear are people I love-Michael, Whitney, Liza, Elizabeth, Marlon -ravaged by disease and drugs and alcohol. The ONLY good thing in that show to me (and a few of the amateur clips I've seen on YouTube) is the audience-screaming and shrieking like they're watching Victory in 1984 or the BAD Tour in 1988.

It's probably the reason I'm thankful for the TII rehearsals-Michael looked and sounded back on top of his game-and I'm grateful he went out that way-in a blaze of glory.

How do I know this?

Simple

It bothers me when people don't take the time to read a post(s).

I was replying directly to barbee when it was suggested that overdubbing of a live performance vocal is normal practice or 'routine'.

I also think the shows did not show Mj in top form. I can't even watch them I feel embarrassed for him considering his talent and history of live performance. For whatever reason he does not make eye contact with the audience and has his hand over his mouth to try to block that he is lipsinching. The whitepa t didn't work either just a horrendous show. I agree delete that from the Mj legacy it doesn't add up.

I also think the shows did not show Mj in top form. I can't even watch them I feel embarrassed for him considering his talent and history of live performance. For whatever reason he does not make eye contact with the audience and has his hand over his mouth to try to block that he is lipsinching. The whitepa t didn't work either just a horrendous show. I agree delete that from the Mj legacy it doesn't add up.

There was a short clip of him on the red carpet with Liz, and he looks so out of it to me. I knew something was off then. His eyes seem almost closed at several parts of the show. Especially the closups of him sitting

There was a short clip of him on the red carpet with Liz, and he looks so out of it to me. I knew something was off then. His eyes seem almost closed at several parts of the show. Especially the closups of him sitting

He's definitely on something here.

It bothers me when people don't take the time to read a post(s).

I was replying directly to barbee when it was suggested that overdubbing of a live performance vocal is normal practice or 'routine'.
thank you both. By normal and routine, I meant I thought they did that when vocals were less than stellar or if the live audio was bad. Not with each and every single live show filmed.
So, I thank you both.

Frank Cascio said in his book that he had trouble getting Michael out of bed before the concert. Doctor had given something to him. He was clearly under something but I think he was great when he performed with the brothers. YRMW performance was bad.

He's definitely on something here.

When I first saw this clip...I felt so awkward and uncomfortable.. I did not want to tell myself drug related but I could not think anything else... There have been a few clippings that gave me that and I believe this was the first and the worst...

Back