Weekend News Bytes for April 4-6, 2008 (update for April 6 on post #49)

mello1

Proud Member
Daily News Gossip -- Rehash of the Jacksons reality show story

Michael Jackson and clan plan retreat to bucolic British countryside And reality show may chronicle their move

By Eloise Parker
DAILY NEWS FEATURES WRITER
Thursday, April 3rd 2008, 3:50 PM

It's not quite Neverland, but the all-singing-all-dancing Jackson clan is leaving California for a holiday home in the heart of the English countryside.

Tito Jackson, 54, has rented a spacious five-bedroom barn conversion in the Devonshire town of Appledore in South West England and will be joined by his sons Taj, 34, Taryll, 32, and T.J., 29, who make up the band 3T, as well as his superstar Jackson Five siblings.

Last month, Tito revealed he was house-hunting in the area, saying, "My family love North Devon and the wonderful countryside and friendly people, I'm really looking forward to buying a home here. Michael likes it here too, as no one bothers him."

Michael and Janet, brother Jermaine and parents Joseph and Katherine are expected to fly out to visit Tito at the $10,000-a-month rental, and are all expected to appear in a proposed reality show chronicling the showbiz family's move to the U.K.

Tito's bodyguard, Matt Fiddes, 28, who lives in the nearby Devonshire town of Barnstaple, has confirmed the move.

"They love North Devon and they'll be moving into the rented house during the first week of May," he said.

"They get no hassle and they've been blown away by the peace and beauty of the area when they've stayed."

If the move goes according to plan, the Jacksons may purchase land in the area with a view to building a permanent base in England.

"The brothers want to live here permanently," claimed Fiddes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not particularly crazy about this article. Read with caution...

Tech N9ne - Shock Value

Kansas bred rapper Tech N9ne is currently gearing up for the release of his upcoming album titled Killer (in homage to Michael Jackson’s Thriller). We recently caught up with eccentricemcee to speak on the project, his career and verything that life has to offer.

http://www.sixshot.com/articles/10714/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This already has a separate thread:

Confessions of a YouTube junkie

April 4, 2008
By Yoni Teitelbaum
I have a confession to make: I am a YouTube addict. It’s something I’ve been in denial about for a long time, but I finally realized it was true during Dead Week last quarter, when I sat down at 8 p.m. one night to work on my PHIL 151 take-home final. Suddenly it was 10 a.m. two days later, and I realized I’d spent the whole time watching Michael Jackson videos. I told myself that this was it. Life couldn’t go on like this. I realized that YouTube was not only affecting my schoolwork, but it was also driving me away from friends and family. The only reason I ever did anything anymore was to have time for Michael Jackson videos. Who could I possibly talk to about that? I was ashamed...

http://daily.stanford.edu/article/2008/4/4/confessionsOfAYoutubeJunkie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry Benson makes stars shine

By Arthur Spiegelman
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Beatles staged a pillow fight for him to photograph and he turned it into a portrait of poetry in motion. The Reagans and the Clintons posed kissing for his cameras, as did Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Jackson...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: News and Mentionings Weekender Thread April 4,5,6, 2008

Hmm.... accidentally hit reply before I was finished and the edit mode is not working for me right now. To continue...

Also, today, April 4, 2008, is the 40th anniversary of the assasination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in Memphis, TN. Events are going on right now to commemorable this sad event in American history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surface lead singer Bernard Jackson goes reggae
By Cecelia Campbell-Livingston livingstonc@jamaicaobserver.com
Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Bernard Jackson, lead singer for the international R&B group Surface, which popularised songs such as Shower Me With Your Love, Loving, Closer Than Friends, For Your Love and Falling In Love, is now turning his attention to reggae music.

For him, it's like "coming full circle". Even before Jackson joined Surface, he had a fascination with reggae music and that saw him doing a reggae cover of Michael Jackson's hit single Billie Jean....

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifestyle/html/20080401T220000-0500_134102_OBS_SURFACE_LEAD_SINGER_BERNARD_JACKSON_GOES_REGGAE_.asp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1983 - Michael Jackson's single "Billie Jean" was certified Gold by the RIAA.

1987 - A remix of "Let's Wait Awhile" hit #3 in the U.S.

2005 - In the Michael Jackson child molestation trial, a 24-year-old man took the stand and testified that he had been groped by Jackson years before. He had received a cash settlement from Jackson.

Michael Jackson Quote

People always told me be careful of what you do
And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
And mother always told me be careful of who you love
And be careful of what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth

- Michael Jackson, Billie Jean

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Music/story?id=4584564&page=1
Record Labels Struggle to Stay Relevant

New Technology Has Forced Labels to Re-Examine Their Place in Music Industry

Take Rapper Jay-Z, for example, who is soon to become the third major artist to leave a well-known record company, in his case Def Jam Records, in return for a multimillion dollar deal with concert promoter Live Nation, according to The New York Times.
And before him it was superstars Madonna and U2 who penned deals with Live Nation, which is trying to profit where music label staples have not: They reach fans' pocketbooks not by luring them into outdated record stores but by selling band merchandise, concert tickets and fan club memberships.
For "Thriller 25" release Jackson was with Sony-BMG ME anyway since all catalogue songs/albums are exclusively manufactured, distributed and marketed by that company.

However, with possible new album, Michael can move away from Sony-BMG ME. But this probability is low, since his relationship with the company are very close and multithreaded. Also, Jackson can re-negotiate terms of his general contract with the company to improve it (even though it is still better than of the likes U2, Jay Z or whoever even now, so this could be unnecessary).

So we know nothing on this matter yet and just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

the Steve Harvey morning show also did a special Martin Luther King dedicated show this morning and they played Michael" Man in the Mirror"...

my bass and trible was bumping.. Michael sung his heart out on that song....and it was so poignant.. for that song to be played during the MLK program.

Last edited:

For "Thriller 25" release Jackson was with Sony-BMG ME anyway since all catalogue songs/albums are exclusively manufactured, distributed and marketed by that company.

However, with possible new album, Michael can move away from Sony-BMG ME. But this probability is low, since his relationship with the company are very close and multithreaded. Also, Jackson can re-negotiate terms of his general contract with the company to improve it (even though it is still better than of the likes U2, Jay Z or whoever even now, so this could be unnecessary).

So we know nothing on this matter yet and just have to wait and see.
I don't see why MJ can't go that route right now. He doesn't have a contract with Sony/BMG. His tie to Sony is with the ATV publishing empire...

Thanks for the news thread mello. :)

I can't see Michael doing any Live Nation deal.. one because he doesn't like long tours.. and second... he has a very unique relationship with a record company.. that NO OTHER artist has...

also, there is a catch to those Live Nation deals.. I am no expert.. but a Live Nation deal might be good for Jayz And Madonna but it might not work for Michael

thanks for the news/mentionings..

we'll see where these stories go! time will tell

More Mentionings:

Science teacher Rich Ognibene is the state's Teacher of the Year

Inspired students
"The Teacher of the Year program does an excellent job of putting the spotlight on teachers who know how to communicate with and inspire students," said NYSUT President Dick Iannuzzi. "It is proven once more with Rich Ognibene." NYSUT is a major supporter of the Teacher of the Year program, which is run by the State Education Department.

Music, fire, small explosions — all are used by Ognibene to stimulate students and at the same time demonstrate the principles of chemistry and physics. During a lecture on the physics of sound, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" blares from a record player. Ognibene goes so far as to perform the zombie dance from Jackson's infamous MTV video just to pound the lesson home.

His students aren't the only ones who enjoy the antics. Principal Dave Paddock gets a kick out of the teacher, too.
"I get into his classroom at least a few times a year, and each time I go there I catch him making chemistry fun," said Paddock, who nominated Ognibene for the Teacher of the Year honor. "Kids are smiling, they're having fun, they're laughing.
"When I was in high school, I don't ever remember chemistry being a whole lot of fun," Paddock said. "I think when a teacher enjoys what they do, and when a teacher loves the students as Rich does, the kids can't help but learn and have fun doing it. That's the special quality that Rich brings to the classroom."
Bryan Marra, a Fairport junior who takes Ognibene's chemistry class, explained the teacher's popularity.
"Mr. O really brings the students into what he teaches," Marra said. "He obviously loves what he does and has a passion for chemistry and, you know, when you teach your passion you really get people to feel it."
Ognibene said he believes the trick is to make science both exciting and accessible.
"Most of us have to see it," he said. "We have hear it, we have to do it, we have to use multiple modalities to fully understand. With adolescents, in particular, the more ways you can present the material — particularly the more visually exciting ways — the better they are going to learn."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...ingsonJunos_080404/20080404?hub=Entertainment

Céline Dion
1. Céline Dion's middle names are Marie and Claudette.
2. After seeing a Michael Jackson performance at age 18, she told manager (and future husband) René Angélil that she wanted to be an international superstar such as Jackson.
3. Céline likes to eat crunchy potato chips in bed at night.
4. In an interview on "The Tyra Banks Show," Céline mentioned that she is a big fan of fellow nominee Michael Bublé.
5. She carries a Canadian nickel from 1968 - the year of her birth -- in her pocket for luck.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.4.1

The dancing inmates in the Philippines are at it once again.

In July 2007, the guys at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center became an Internet sensation with their take on Michael Jackson's "Thriller." A prison official made the dance a daily exercise, and posted a video of the routine on the video-sharing website YouTube.

http://www.whatsonstage.com/index.php?pg=207&story=E8821207309626

A former director of the London Festival Ballet (now English National Ballet), Peter Schaufuss returned to Holstebro in his native Denmark to found the Peter Schaufuss Ballet, the country’s first independent, international touring ballet company. He made headlines in the UK three years ago with Diana The Princess, his dance piece based on the life of the Princess of Wales (See The Goss, 10 Mar 2005). In addition to more conventional dance productions, the Schaufuss repertoire also includes a ballet set to the music of Michael Jackson entitled I’m Bad.

http://media.www.ramcigar.com/media...roduces.Stellar.Sophomore.Album-3304220.shtml

Bad Boy Records had Keisha, Kima and Pam or as they are famously known, Total, as one of the first female groups of the label.

Total had ruled the radio airwaves and charts with hits such as, "No One Else," "Trippin," and even scored a remix of "Human Nature" with Michael Jackson.

The single "Damaged" veers towards a futuristic sound (think Michael Jackson's "Scream" and a faster tempo). This song has all the perfect elements: a catchy chorus, smooth transition into the bridge and tight harmonies. Each girl's voice is distinct and not overtaken by anyone else's.

http://www.newsvirginian.com/servle...rticle&cid=1173355188314&path=!news!localnews

“This was a good process to go through,” said music teacher Mary Smith. “By doing this they could see, when Michael Jackson did “Thriller,” what that took. It takes a lot of effort and a lot of work.”

I can't see Michael doing any Live Nation deal.. one because he doesn't like long tours.. and second... he has a very unique relationship with a record company.. that NO OTHER artist has...

also, there is a catch to those Live Nation deals.. I am no expert.. but a Live Nation deal might be good for Jayz And Madonna but it might not work for Michael

Rasta, you took the words right out of my mouth. LOL!

I am no expert, but in my opinion, the Live Nation deals ONLY look good on paper. I mean, they are signing up for TEN year deals and they are basically OWNED by Live Nation.

Live Nation get's a piece of EVERYTHING they do. I don't think Mike is trying to be owned by anybody this late in the game.

I actually think that this whole thing will work in Mike's favor. The record companies NOW have to respond to these Live Nation deals, to show that they are still in the running. And what better way to respond, then to cut "some" sort of deal with an aritst like Michael Jackson.

You are right. Either way it goes, Live Nation and Sony could use Michael Jackson. Michael comes with huge name recognition and crowd power. So if Live Nation wants to work with him, they better put something good on the table that the King of Pop wants.

I do believe that Michael is gonna use technology to promote his next album. But I also think that he will do some performances if not a huge tour.

Thanks for the news

http://www.week.com/news/local/17308849.html

Moon Walk Kickoff

Michael Jackson may need to step up his game because this year's Moon Walk participants are up for a challenge.
http://moonwalk.palmpeoria.org/

Participants launched off the Moon Walk at Peoria's Riverplex for the 2008 health wellness program, with an opening ceremonial walk.
The program was designed six years ago to encourage community members to walk more and live healthier lifestyles.
All participants in the Moon Walk Challenge are working towards a common goal of walking the distance of 2 round trips to the moon.
Denise Knoblauch, an OSF Saint Francis Medical Center nurse says, she and other team members will be checking up on one another to ensure they reach their distance goal.
"My medical center made it really easy...they went and got all the paperwork for us and I have someone who's going to be the elevator Nazi whose parked right by the elevator. She's not going to let anyone use the elevator."

http://www.downtownlascene.com/index.php/scene/news_item/31203/

Richardson, who started off street dancing, and whose first job was working on Michael Jackson’s “Bad” video when he was 17, trained in voice and dance at the High School for the Performing Arts in New York. But he still likes to visit clubs when he’s not in the dance studio.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/my-secret-life-hattie-morahan-actress-29-803312.html

You wouldn't know it but I'm very good at... moon-walking. I was obsessed with Michael Jackson at school and every day would practise my dance on the lino at school. Who am I kidding? I'm probably no good at it at all.

Thanks for the news, you guys.

I was thinking about Mike and the Live Nation thingy that Jay-Z is now a part of. I read the details (some of it) and I do not think that MJ would do something like that. MJ seems to be a person who likes to control the situation so the Live Nation thingy would be a nightmare for him.

Thanks for the mentionings everybody :)

Michael Jackson Mentionings for April 5, 2008:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawf...nels_client_9_radio_r.html?hpid=news-col-blog

XM just finished a month-long Michael Jackson channel called Thriller and this week started Strait Country, an all-George Strait service that will run through May.

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveningstar/reviews/story.aspx?brand=ESTOnline&category=ReviewsStar&tBrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=ReviewsStar&itemid=IPED05%20Apr%202008%2006%3A23%3A56%3A387

No Motown review would be complete without a nod in the direction of Michael Jackson and we were treated to some dodgy afros and three tracks from the early Jackson 5 song book; “I Want You Back”, “ABC”, and “Dancing Machine”.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/04/05/around_the_block_again_for_new_kids_fans/

To put it in context for New Kids novices and skeptics, yes, this reunion is a big deal. And not just for Boston. At its commercial height (1989-1992), New Kids of the Block sold 70 million records as well as buttons, T-shirts, lunchboxes, and even marbles with their images inside. And like the Beatles and the Jackson 5 before them, the band briefly had its own animated series. In 1991, Forbes named the fivesome the highest-paid entertainers of the year, besting Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson, thanks to a record-setting pay-per-view concert and sold-out stadium shows.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080405/OPINION05/804050307/1006/OPINION

However, there are some celebrities who have decided to change their lives. Recently, I tuned in a program hosted by Clifton Davis called "Praise The Lord" and was proud to see him, a personal and family friend of mine, in such an awesome setting, reaching millions of people all over the world.
Davis acted for years on the TV shows "That's My Mama" and "Amen," co-starring with Sherman Hemsley (George Jefferson of "The Jeffersons"). Davis also wrote one of Michael Jackson and "The Jackson Five's" biggest hits, "Never Can Say Goodbye."

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/theater/reviews/05demo.html?ref=theater

Between Nov. 26, 2007, and Feb. 29, 2008, you could pay online — the right price, of course — to provide a part of the script. And for 40 minutes three game actors — Tony Torn, Okwui Okpokwasili, Philippa Kaye — perform the submissions as puckish, avant-garde vaudeville: they move in slow motion ($15); mimic the zombie dance from Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” ($50); and recite an ad for Joyce SoHo ($100). Polling may produce bland, conventional art (and politicians), but when you put things up for sale, the results are more unpredictable, awful and interesting. In other words, no blue landscapes.

Last edited:
Re: Weekend News Bytes for April 4-6, 2008 (update for April 5 on post #18)

Thriller 25 weekly soundscan totals according to Paul Grein's blog

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/

Soundscan Us sales, week by week, for Thriller 25th
Code:
Week 1 : 166,000
Week 2 : 63,000
Week 3 : 55,000
Week 4 : 44,000
Week 5 : 48,000
Week 6 : 49,000
Week 7 : 26,000

TOTAL : 451,000

there is a nice article on Mariah and Madonna beating Elvis' record (ps: glad its them.. becuz when Michael is back.. the hate won't be as great when he beats Madonna & Mariah record.. loving the competition.. this is what gets Mike fired up)...

anyways.. that article had the following tidbit in it.. and this is why I love when others do Michael's song..
Touch Their Bodies, Eat Their Dust: Two Queens Dethrone The King

touchmyminutes.jpg

Ed. note: Chris "dennisobell" Molanphy, our resident chart guru, looks at the upward, downward, and lack of movement on this week's Billboard charts:

• Songs boosted on iTunes thanks to performances on American Idol's "Year You Were Born" week: "Billie Jean," both the original by Michael Jackson (up 24% to 12,800 copies) and the David Cook-bitten cover by Chris Cornell (14,900 copies, its first time on the list); "Alone" by Heart; and "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler (each up nearly 250%, to about 8,000 copies each). We're pretty sure that the obscure, cruise-ship-quality David Foster tune sung by David Archuleta is out of print; otherwise, God only knows how many doting grandmas would've downloaded it...

The top debut on the Hot 100, based entirely on iTunes downloads, is Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It," which features everyone's favorite we-like-you-but-not-your-schlocky-music guest star, John Mayer, on guitar. Debuting on iTunes just ahead of the band's wittily-titled live album ****: Live in Phoenix, the track sold 88,000 downloads in its first week. Expect it to drop back next week, now that the initial wave of FOB fans have purchased it—but the forthcoming release of a music video might fuel a comeback in a few weeks, once the TRL set starts voting for it in droves. Then we'll have to see if it can eventually outdistance the No. 12 peak of the all-time greatest version of "Beat It."

Read More:

http://idolator.com/376256/touch-their-bodies-eat-their-dust-two-queens-dethrone-the-king

this my dear fans is what makes Michael immortal!!..........loving it!

Last edited:

thanks for the updates

O/T.. its not about MJ directly.. but I need pigs for this
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif

and now the story...
Rupert Murdoch's daughter to host Obama fundraiser

Television tycoon Elisabeth Murdoch, daughter of News Corp. owner Rupert Murdoch, is holding a fundraiser for Barack Obama at her London home.

In January, however, the Post endorsed Clinton's rival, Obama, for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination.

News Corp. is one of the world's largest media empires, and owns the Times and Sun newspapers in Britain, British Sky Broadcasting and the Fox News Channel.

Elisabeth Murdoch, 39, is a former managing director of Sky Networks who left her father's company in 2000 to start her own television production company, Shine Ltd.
She is married to public relations executive Matthew Freud, great-grandson of psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/03/murdoch.obama.ap/index.html

Last edited:

O/T.. its not about MJ directly.. but I need pigs for this
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif
3flypigs.gif

and now the story...
I look at it differently. We have been influenced to look negatively on Hillary by Murdock and Drudge and all of it makes me suspicious. I am not saying anything negative about Obama but it worries me that Murdock and Drudge are once again influencing an election by the way they report things. I don't think Murdock is necessarily pro Obama and if he is we should ask why.

I look at it differently. We have been influenced to look negatively on Hillary by Murdock and Drudge and all of it makes me suspicious. I am not saying anything negative about Obama but it worries me that Murdock and Drudge are once again influencing an election by the way they report things. I don't think Murdock is necessarily pro Obama and if he is we should ask why.
I agree. Furthermore, to these big-wigs, politics is only a game to them They will win no matter who comes into power. Our destiny is not determined by the ballot boxes, but by big business, ie Rupert Murdock and co.:)

whoever goes to Drudge or Fox for news shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway.

and this is a supposed fundraiser set up by Rupert Murdoch's daughter who doesn't own or share her father's politics (she's a democrat, he's a neo-con). she has her own company.

whoever goes to Drudge or Fox for news shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway.

and this is a supposed fundraiser set up by Rupert Murdoch's daughter who doesn't own or share her father's politics (she's a democrat, he's a neo-con). she has her own company.
I just have to say, we don't have to take them seriously but they DO vote.

I have heard about Murdock's daughter being a Democrat. She may well be sincere in her support.

I like the way these youngins are paying tribute to Michael. However, their covers will never be as good as the originals. But Michael gave them the go ahead to do it, so if Michael's alright with it, then so am I.

And Murdock confuses me, because he seems to ride both sides of the fence. He actually buddied up with Hillary a while back. But his FOX network is so pro republican.

I like the way these youngins are paying tribute to Michael. However, their covers will never be as good as the originals. But Michael gave them the go ahead to do it, so if Michael's alright with it, then so am I.

And Murdock confuses me, because he seems to ride both sides of the fence. He actually buddied up with Hillary a while back. But his FOX network is so pro republican.
That is because he doesn't care who wins the election because nothing really changes at the top.

Back