What is it about Michael’s VOICE?!

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
@staywild23

Was gonna do a quick reply today but that's now not possible. Just saw the thread about this new tweet from the Estate. Am so incandescent with rage I can hardly think.

I'm sure at some point I'll be able to think, 'well, it's hardly the worst thing that's happened to Michael'. Haven't reached that stage yet and don't expect to for some time.

😡

staywild23

Proud Member
@staywild23

Was gonna do a quick reply today but that's now not possible. Just saw the thread about this new tweet from the Estate. Am so incandescent with rage I can hardly think.

I'm sure at some point I'll be able to think, 'well, it's hardly the worst thing that's happened to Michael'. Haven't reached that stage yet and don't expect to for some time.

😡
I completely understand. It’s absolutely distressing. I’m furious.

Also, there is no pressure to reply to any of the mammoth posts I wrote yesterday. I just, as usual, have a lot of feelings.

Hiker

I needed something to distract myself from whole Twitter debacle, so I decided to sit down and watch Bad Wembley. I have only watched Bad tour once when I had just start discovering the world of Michael and then only in parts. I have to say, I am starting to see what all the hoopla about live singing vs lip singing is. I was able to make it only 40min or so. The live vocals are indeed out of this world! 🤯
It is not just the actual song, but the fillers sounds that he adds for extra effect, the hee hee, auu .... Just make everything come alive in a different way! I am speechless, I don't have the words to describe it. It was so good that it hurts your ears like too much beauty hurts your eyes.
I will still not go as far as saying HIStory was bad because of lip singing. HN is way sexier in Dangerous when the 🎤 and singing are not cramping his dancing, but still I get the appeal of live vocals. 🤯🤩

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
@staywild23

Pointless to let the Estate derail my day. Onwards and upwards!

This will be a random jumble of comments.

1 - Michael as a sex symbol - can't help you with that one. I think you need to talk to an actual fan. That's not me. I never paid attention to this sort of thing. He got a lot of negative press and he was definitely regarded as uncool. A lot of people were unconvinced by the Bad image. Some people thought he was trying too hard. I liked it although I don't think he looks comfortable in the album photo. I was disappointed that they didn't use the black lace photo. I think that would have been an amazing album cover, especially if they had used it as a black&white image rather than colour.

2 - you having thoughts about Michael at work and wanting to explore stuff straightaway. I'm having a sort of similar experience. Whenever I read stuff I always seem to link it immediately to Michael. It could be anything, a book review, an interview with a politician, an article about pilgrimage, anything at all and I can usually find something in it that makes me think about Michael. I can't bring any examples to mind right now although I do have a folder, lol. I don't mean I actively look for connections, I mean, I'm chugging along, reading the piece and then something I've just read reminds me of Michael in some way or seems relevant to some part of his life or story. It's weird.

3 - J5/Jacksons - I'm not really exploring the albums. I can already feel my enthusiasm waning, tbh. I'm so bonded with his adult solo career. I'm definitely open to all phases of his career and I did like J5 back in the day. It was all about Michael, though. He was such a good dancer even back then. He was so cool. He just had such good rhythm and an ability to go beyond the choreography. And already, at such a young age, miles ahead of the brothers. The Jacksons were quite disco / R&B which is not me so they didn't get much attention from me. Only Can You Feel It. Same with OTW, too much disco and R&B. Good album, just not to my taste. And, as you say, Michael at that point is very much still finding himself, very much in the process of creating himself. He hasn't quite got there yet so he's not getting too much attention from me. I bought a bunch of J5 albums a couple of weeks ago cos I wanted True Love Can Be Beautiful and was quite curious to see what else was on there. But, so far, I don't think they're going to become essential listening. Michael is brilliant but the songs are quite simple, the backing vocals from the brothers are fine but nothing special, imo. I don't think these songs are going to be part of my DNA. I'm pleased to have the opportunity to listen to them, though. If you haven't listened to True Love Can Be Beautiful I would recommend it. Michael's performance is astonishing even by his standards.

Actually, I'm saying I'm bonded to Michael's adult solo career. Well, kind of. I didn't buy any of his records when he was alive. When he died I bought all the CD's - except for History, no idea what that was about - but then didn't play many tracks. With BOTDF I only played the Scream remix so didn't hear Morphine or Is It Scary. Weird, huh? With Dangerous I only played Jam so didn't get to hear Keep The Faith. I had Number Ones on heavy rotation but the only album I played properly was Invincible. Few years down the line I got rid of all the CD's and then last year (or was it the year before?) bought them all again, this time with History. And just straightaway, automatically started playing all the songs (so why did I not do that first time around? Answer came there none!). So my relationship with Michael has gone on for a long time and yet, weirdly, is also really new. I can't even remember if I bought the CD's 2020 or 2021 but it feels as if I've had these songs in my DNA my whole life. The bond feels deep and irrevocable, deep like you could go on an archaeological dig and not get to the end of it. It genuinely feels like there has never been a time when these songs did not mean the world to me even though I know that's not the case.

Tool have been around since the 1990's but I only got into them a few years ago. Fontaines DC are fairly new, they have only just put out their third album. So when I listen to those bands it feels different to when I play my bands from the 70's or '80's. But with Michael's stuff it just always feels like I was into these songs since forever. Which makes no sense. Except it does.

I seem to have gone off on a tangent. Better stop.

staywild23

Proud Member
I needed something to distract myself from whole Twitter debacle, so I decided to sit down and watch Bad Wembley. I have only watched Bad tour once when I had just start discovering the world of Michael and then only in parts. I have to say, I am starting to see what all the hoopla about live singing vs lip singing is. I was able to make it only 40min or so. The live vocals are indeed out of this world! 🤯
It is not just the actual song, but the fillers sounds that he adds for extra effect, the hee hee, auu .... Just make everything come alive in a different way! I am speechless, I don't have the words to describe it. It was so good that it hurts your ears like too much beauty hurts your eyes.

Oy, it took me a bit to get back to you on this, but I am glad to hear you started watching the Bad tour!!! Yes, the live vocals are INSANE! The vocals matched with the physical energy level and his just absolute gorgeousness is too much for me. The way you describe the vocals being so good they hurt your ears is how I feel about every single element of Michael's talent, physicality, vocal performance, appearance, etc., especially on the Bad tour. I've said it before and I'll say it again - total sensory overload in all ways when I watch any performances of that tour.

We will have to agree to disagree on which HN performance is sexier :) Predictably, Michael's sexiness in every performance on the Bad tour brings me to my knees. I don't even know who I am sometimes after I watch him!

staywild23

Proud Member
Listening to Michael while doing morning chores and stumbled upon the acapella of Ain't No Sunshine recorded when he was, I believe, just 13 years old.

This is absolutely incredible. I got chills all over my body listening to this and was brought to tears. In fact, I'm still crying 5 minutes later. Just insane. Check it out if you haven't.

I think it's officially time for me to explore Michael's pre-Off the Wall solo work more. Wow.

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
Listening to Michael while doing morning chores and stumbled upon the acapella of Ain't No Sunshine recorded when he was, I believe, just 13 years old.

This is absolutely incredible. I got chills all over my body listening to this and was brought to tears. In fact, I'm still crying 5 minutes later. Just insane. Check it out if you haven't.

I think it's officially time for me to explore Michael's pre-Off the Wall solo work more. Wow.
Yep, it's beautiful. Bill Withers' version is awesome but Michael does such a great job here. I really like his 13 / 14 year old voice. Caught at that moment before he starts moving towards his older voice. So lovely.

So much of his Tamla solo stuff is beautiful. I like a lot of it much better than J5. You've listened to Music and Me? I find that one so poignant.

staywild23

Proud Member
Yep, it's beautiful. Bill Withers' version is awesome but Michael does such a great job here. I really like his 13 / 14 year old voice. Caught at that moment before he starts moving towards his older voice. So lovely.

So much of his Tamla solo stuff is beautiful. I like a lot of it much better than J5. You've listened to Music and Me? I find that one so poignant.
I have listened to Music and Me! But I really haven't spent any time with most of his solo work before OTW, probably because I'm just so enamored with his adult voice. But GOD his voice as a child was just insane. I still don't feel fully recovered from this. I listened to it several times and I cried every time. So amazing.

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
I have listened to Music and Me! But I really haven't spent any time with most of his solo work before OTW, probably because I'm just so enamored with his adult voice. But GOD his voice as a child was just insane. I still don't feel fully recovered from this. I listened to it several times and I cried every time. So amazing.
Probably should take this over to the Heresy thread but, wth. I kind of think of Michael doing J5 stuff as more or less solo. The brothers all have fine voices and the vocals they do on J5 records are perfectly fine. But they are not doing anything remarkable, imo. Whereas the vocals that Michael comes up with are beyond astonishing, especially for his age. His vocals on Who's Lovin' You or True Love Can Be Beautiful, for example, are almost unbelievable. For me, it carries on into his teenage years. His vocals on Can You Feel It or Show You The Way To Go are, again, beyond. Whereas the brothers are doing a fine job but that's all.

Other opinions are available, lol. But for me, from day one, it's always been about Michael's voice.

Nowadays, I do struggle a bit with Ben. It got played a lot after he died. So it's hard to listen to that one now. Which is a shame cos it was always one of my faves.

staywild23

Proud Member
Probably should take this over to the Heresy thread but, wth. I kind of think of Michael doing J5 stuff as more or less solo. The brothers all have fine voices and the vocals they do on J5 records are perfectly fine. But they are not doing anything remarkable, imo. Whereas the vocals that Michael comes up with are beyond astonishing, especially for his age. His vocals on Who's Lovin' You or True Love Can Be Beautiful, for example, are almost unbelievable. For me, it carries on into his teenage years. His vocals on Can You Feel It or Show You The Way To Go are, again, beyond. Whereas the brothers are doing a fine job but that's all.

Other opinions are available, lol. But for me, from day one, it's always been about Michael's voice.

Nowadays, I do struggle a bit with Ben. It got played a lot after he died. So it's hard to listen to that one now. Which is a shame cos it was always one of my faves.

No, you know what, I kind of agree with you. I don't really mind if it's on this thread that we have this discussion, though we certainly don't need to. I do think though that all the boys in the J5 are extremely talented, of course. However, Michael is clearly the magic that made that group what it was. I mean, I say this tbh not be *extremely* knowledgable of most of the music, so perhaps I'm being unfair to them. But Michael's voice is absolutely, without question, what makes all of those songs special. His voice, his styling, his charisma, his performance... I mean, he was breathtaking at every age and in every way. The band otherwise? Talented, but not on the same level at all.

I have never listened to Ben a lot. But I have that same feeling about I'll Be There. I borderline can't listen to it at all. It doesn't matter if it's his young voice, or his adult voice. I cannot handle it. Other singers covering it do nothing for me. But Michael singing it makes me shaky and sad almost too emotional to bear lol.

In some ways I think you and I are fairly similar people! At least in terms of our intense emotional responses to Michael lol

MacMandy90

Proud Member

I was listening to that while driving to graduation today, I was literally feeling the motions inside, happy and sad if that makes sense. But I felt warm and happy, yet sensing he's there. Such a beautiful song, although I do enjoy Bill Withers' version as well, I treasure Michael's the most, his voice is just so pure and angelic, sincere and soulful.

I agree and relate to you so much on this. For me, whenever Ben plays I start to sing along, and even when he died, I was just in tears. But this song is just sweet, yet sad but very relatable on many levels.

staywild23

Proud Member
@MacMandy90 , @staywild23

The day MJ died I had a night out planned, the last song the DJ played before closing time was “ben” in honor of MJ. I felt very sad for the first time. It was a nice touch by the DJ.
Ugh that makes me so sad. Very nice touch, but so sad.

I wasn’t even a fan in 2009, but I still remember everything about when I found out he died. I was at a big fundraising event where there was this child prodigy pianist playing (I got free tickets as a radio station intern) and seconds before the concert started I got a text from someone that Michael died. And I was shocked. I remember thinking about it the whole night during the concert and then going home and looking it up. Like I said, I wasn’t even a fan at that time, but his death still felt seismic.

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
I wasn’t even a fan in 2009, but I still remember everything about when I found out he died. I was at a big fundraising event where there was this child prodigy pianist playing (I got free tickets as a radio station intern) and seconds before the concert started I got a text from someone that Michael died. And I was shocked. I remember thinking about it the whole night during the concert and then going home and looking it up. Like I said, I wasn’t even a fan at that time, but his death still felt seismic.
I've already mentioned this somewhere else on the board but ...

When Michael died Ben was played on the radio quite a lot. One thing I heard more than once was the DJ playing the song just before the hour. When it was over there would be a few seconds of silence before they went to the news. And, as I said already, that was quite something. For any radio station but especially any commercial radio station to have several seconds of silence was astonishing. I've never heard them do it before or since. It just added to the terrible poignancy.

MacMandy90

Proud Member
@MacMandy90 , @staywild23

The day MJ died I had a night out planned, the last song the DJ played before closing time was “ben” in honor of MJ. I felt very sad for the first time. It was a nice touch by the DJ.
That's so sad, but touching at the same time, words really can't explain the levels of emotions. Such a sweet gesture from the DJ for sure.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
@MacMandy90

He played a lot more during the night though, he played him non stop for what seemed an eternity and the room was buzzing. He must have played at least 15 MJ related tracks that night. I never dance but that night I felt I needed to as an ode to my idol. I wasn’t the only one, the place was packed and the atmosphere was great.

Then at the funeral my entire family watched it from start to end and I heard a lot of sobbing when Paris took the microphone. Stevie Wonder did the best ode with 2 very poignant songs for his friend. Those were “never dreamed you’d leave in summer and “ they won’t go when i go”.

At a later concert Stevie broke down while performing TWYMMF. If your sensitive like me don’t watch it because you will cry your eyeballs out.

and again here. I love his transition here though he goes from very sad during “ never can say goodbye” to instant happy when “shake your body” starts.

MacMandy90

Proud Member
@filmandmusic
Oh my, that's such a beautiful tribute, that atmosphere must have been surreal yet full of life, he really did a tremendous job!

I remember that day like it was yesterday, I was watching the funeral while moving stuff into my brother's house and I was just crying the whole time, even harder when Paris went up to speak it just broke my heart. The service was absolutely beautiful, Stevie was a trooper, I really felt his sadness while he sang, those were beautifully touching songs.