Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe your right but glad they didn’t. The album would not be nearly as strong. I think MJ and Quincy prove less is more. So much filler now days on albums. MJ was heading in the right direction with the plan to release singles.plenty of good songs are made but rarely a entire album of quality songs. They don’t make music like they use to.
This is why I love artists like Bruno Mars. Pack an album with 9-10 hits, toss everything else out, leave them wanting more.

Maybe your right but glad they didn’t. The album would not be nearly as strong. I think MJ and Quincy prove less is more. So much filler now days on albums. MJ was heading in the right direction with the plan to release singles.plenty of good songs are made but rarely a entire album of quality songs. They don’t make music like they use to.
I agree, I pretty much stopped listening to full albums because it the tracklists are just huge. The ideal runtime should always be between 30 and 40 min imo, 45 min tops.

The best option for these songs ( because they really have potential, they shouldn’t be forgotten in time) would have been making them B sides to the thriller singles instead of picking random tracks older album tracks.

Does that tracklist assume there is a solo version of Centipede?
If such a recording exists, I'm wondering in what state it is. Something "home demo"-ish he did with his siblings (DSTYGE or WDAN comes to mind) or perhaps more polished like his work with Russ Ragsdale at Allen Zentz (TGIM)?

If such a recording exists, I'm wondering in what state it is. Something "home demo"-ish he did with his siblings (DSTYGE or WDAN comes to mind) or perhaps more polished like his work with Russ Ragsdale at Allen Zentz (TGIM)?
John Barnes said they recorded it and it’s in good quality. All his demos with Michael are in better quality then the demos MJ did at Hayvenhurst before Thrillers release. I can’t see Centipede being included on Thriller 40 because it wasn’t worked on for Thriller.

I agree, I pretty much stopped listening to full albums because it the tracklists are just huge. The ideal runtime should always be between 30 and 40 min imo, 45 min tops.

The best option for these songs ( because they really have potential, they shouldn’t be forgotten in time) would have been making them B sides to the thriller singles instead of picking random tracks older album tracks.
I’ve been saying this for years. not only do I prefer singles to albums, but I prefer the radio edits. a song should never overstay its welcome, nor should they take forever to get started.

this is why the first half of ‘the essential Michael Jackson’ is perfect for me💜 all the hits in shortened form, but best of all, chronological order 👍🏽 those are the only collections I really enjoy from artists. the hits are the legacy.

one of the things I’m looking forward to the most from this ‘thriller 40’ project, is the lead single chosen to kick off the campaign. how/if it will be revamped. will there be a physical release for it as well as digital? how many, if any, singles will follow? radio play, chart positions, international versions, artwork, etc..

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that pic of the supposed tracklist isn't real.
The timing is a bit too...convenient

Some people might not have been here 10 years ago. We were in the same position with the Bad 25 tracklist, but every other week there was another "leaked" picture of a tracklist for CD2. One picture had "Gruve of Midnight" and "All Capon" on it

I'm sure we'll know the tracklist soon enough

I'd put Hot Street on the GTA 6 soundtrack when it eventually gets released. If the rumors are true about the GTA universe going back to Vice City, I think the song would be fitting....especially with it's 80s vibe to it.

I'd put Hot Street on the GTA 6 soundtrack when it eventually gets released. If the rumors are true about the GTA universe going back to Vice City, I think the song would be fitting....especially with it's 80s vibe to it.
They didn’t renew the license for Billie Jean in Vice City. So I doubt it.

I don’t think it sends out a good message for Michael to be associated with that franchise.

They didn’t renew the license for Billie Jean in Vice City. So I doubt it.
Which is dumb considering how popular that video game franchise is. Michael sure signed off on it considering B.J and WBSS are both on that sound track, and was released years before he passed.

I know this song wasn't recorded for Thriller but man, I really, really, really want to hear MJ's demo for Eaten Alive. If the released song is anything to go by, this could be one of his best unreleased songs. It has that classic MJ sound, beautiful catchy melody, driving pulsating bass line and a killer guitar solo. This just makes me want to get up and dance and go crazy. I really hope there is a demo of him singing the verses and not just the rewrites he did on the choruses.

This extended version is miles better than the CD version!

Last edited:
I know this song wasn't recorded for Thriller but man, I really, really, really want to hear MJ's demo for Eaten Alive. If the released song is anything to go by, this could be one of his best unreleased songs. It has that classic MJ sound, beautiful catchy melody, driving pulsating bass line and a killer guitar solo. This just makes me want to get up and dance and go crazy. I really hope there is a demo of him singing the verses and not just the rewrites he did on the choruses.

This extended version is miles better than the CD version!
Wow. Never heard of this. Didn't enjoy Diana Ross' vocals cos her voice is all wrong. Her voice is too light and a bit thin, imo.

But, my god, the song. It's awesome. If it was Michael singing it would be way more interesting and the lyrics would mean so much more. Fabulous guitar, insane bass line. Loved it.

Wow. Never heard of this. Didn't enjoy Diana Ross' vocals cos her voice is all wrong. Her voice is too light and a bit thin, imo.

But, my god, the song. It's awesome. If it was Michael singing it would be way more interesting and the lyrics would mean so much more. Fabulous guitar, insane bass line. Loved it.
It's amazing right!? I feel like, if there is a demo where he really sings this song without holding any punches back, I think it could potentially be one of his greatest dance tracks.

It's amazing right!?
It's beyond. It's out there. It's a towering inferno. It's awesome. Every now and then I have these, I dunno ... stupid moments? Whatever. I have these moments where I can hardly believe how brilliant Michael was. And this song is one of those moments.

I feel like, if there is a demo where he really sings this song without holding any punches back, I think it could potentially be one of his greatest dance tracks.
Oh, god, can you imagine? All the time I was listening I could hear what it might sound like if it was Michael singing. No disrespect to Diana, she's a great performer with the right material. I just don't think this is the right song for her voice or singing style.

We know there must have been / must actually be a demo of this. I wouldn't care how incomplete it was, how scratch it was, how fragmented it was with his spoken notes to himself. I don't care. I want to hear it. We need to hear it. I mean, obvs, the complete thing is what we *really* need but, right now, I am so stoked, I would settle for any (incomplete) version that I could get my hands on.

I feel like bouncing off the walls. I don't know what to do with myself. This song is ridiculously brilliant.

I think it could potentially be one of his greatest dance tracks.
P.S. Slightly disagree. I don't think it would be one of his greatest *dance* tracks. I think it would be one of his greatest songs, full stop. I don't mean to imply that his dance tracks are inferior to any of his other songs. I just mean, I think a Michael version of this song would be SO great that it would transcend any categorisation.

P.P.S. Just checked out Eaten Alive. Didn't realise it was co-written with the Gibb brothers. I love it when Michael works with other songwriters. I have no idea if they did any other songs together.

The lyrics are really interesting, especially if you imagine them being sung by Michael. I'd love to know if he wrote the lyrics by himself or if the Gibb brothers pitched in.

Last edited:
P.S. Slightly disagree. I don't think it would be one of his greatest *dance* tracks. I think it would be one of his greatest songs, full stop. I don't mean to imply that his dance tracks are inferior to any of his other songs. I just mean, I think a Michael version of this song would be SO great that it would transcend any categorisation.

P.P.S. Just checked out Eaten Alive. Didn't realise it was co-written with the Gibb brothers. I love it when Michael works with other songwriters. I have no idea if they did any other songs together.

The lyrics are really interesting, especially if you imagine them being sung by Michael. I'd love to know if he wrote the lyrics by himself or if the Gibb brothers pitched in.
If the copyright registry is to be believed, MJ only contributed the chorus.

Oh, that's interesting. Disappointing but interesting. The Gibbs must be even better songwriters than I gave them credit for. I know they're good but I wouldn't have associated this type of song with them.

I don't get the hype over the solo demos of songs that MJ co-wrote, only Eaten Alive is up to Michael's standards IMO.

These quotes are from the time (ca. 2006) when "The Eaten Alive Demos" (w/o its title track) were released.
Michael Jackson listened to the demos, and decided that ‘Eaten Alive’ needed something else in it. Barry offered to share credit with Michael if he wanted to supply what was missing. So Michael took away a cassette of the demo and sent a tape back a few days later.

Maurice later described this new demo as Michael singing and playing keyboard with a drum machine.

Demo for the Diana Ross album Eaten Alive, not intended for release.

EATEN ALIVE
Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb (1985)
undated 1985
stereo, lead vocal Barry Gibb
unreleased

EATEN ALIVE
Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb, Michael Jackson (1985)
undated 1985
stereo, lead vocal Michael Jackson
unreleased

Reactions: MJ5
Yeah he rewrote the chorus but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he didn’t do a scratch vocal of the entire song with his revisions on the chorus being the only new thing he contributed, thus the registration. Just listening to how Diana sings the verses and her Adlibs, they just have michael written all over imo. There are so many of michaels vocals mannerism throughout this song.

What we know for sure is that he recorded a solo demo of this song with a new chorus before presenting it to the Gibbs brothers. What we don’t know is whether that demo only contains the chorus or if he also performed the verses.

Greg Philliganes is listed on the credits for this song, so there is a strong possibility that he worked with Michael on this demo. We should try to reach out to Greg and ask him about this.

Last edited:
This made my day:ROFLMAO:

(credits: https://twitter.com/Zolex_Design/)
qMTf8lj.png

That would be amazing. But I doubt the greedy Estate would allow that.

I recently played GTA Vice City and Billie Jean and WBSS weren't in it any longer, presumably, because of licensing issues.

Given that GTA is a franchise that sells hundred of millions, it would be silly to not allow a MJ song to be on the soundtrack.

I honestly wanna listen "Thank You For Life" which had some similiarity with some other released stuff from thriller

It would be interesting if the second disc had the first version of Thriller, that went to Bernie Grundman for mastering... it came back and sounded bad... it was too long for a vinyl record. So they took some extra weeks to edit the album; make it shorter. But that limitation in length is no longer relevant. I would like to hear the longer versions of the songs (Thriller itself had the third rap by Vincent Price, Billie Jean had a longer intro, and so on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back