What would This Is It have most likely looked like

KingofPop125

Proud Member
To be more clear, what I want to know is:

1. Which songs would have been either lip synched or performed live?
2. What would each performance have looked like specifically, what new stuff would have been added to the show, and which elements from previous performances of these songs would have returned?
3. What would the wardrobe for each song have been? (If there are pictures of the costumes or concept art, please share it)?
4. What would the setlist most likely have looked like? I know that a setlist from June 24th exists, and I know Michael Prince gave what I think is a rehearsal setlist, (skip to 2:04:44)
but the setlist was never finalized. So what do you think what would most likely have been the setlist? Would songs have been cut, and if so, which ones? Would songs have been added, and if so, which ones? Would the order of some songs have changed, and if so, which songs would have been re-ordered and where would they have been placed instead?

I think the setlist would look exactly the same as the setlist posted in the tweet, with Human Nature alternating with Stranger In Moscow on some nights.

As for which songs will be sung live and which songs will be lip-synced:

1. Wanna Be Startin Something - Live as always
2. Jam - Lip-synched
3. They Don't Care About Us - Lip-synched
4. Human Nature - Live as always
5. Stranger In Moscow - Lip-synched
6. Smooth Criminal - Lip-synched
7. The Way You Make Me Feel - Lip-synched
8. J5 Medley - Live as always
9. I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Live as always
10. Dangerous - Lip-synched
11. Black Or White - Live
12. Dirty Diana - Live
13. Beat It - Live
14. Thriller - Lip-synched
15. Earth Song - Lip-synched
16. Heal The World - Lip-synched, with live ad-libs at the end
17. You Are Not Alone - Lip-synched, with live ad-libs at the end
18. Billie Jean - Live
19. Will You Be There - Lip-synched
20. Man In The Mirror - Lip-synched, with live ad-libs at the end

Regarding some of the new stuff:

'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'' would include an a cappella snippet of 'Speechless'.

'Jam' would include a sample of 'Another Part Of Me', and there would be brand-new dance routines from his backup dancers.

'Dangerous' would include among others also a sample from '2000 Watts', and a lot of other new additions including brand-new dance routines.

'The Way You Make Me Feel' would include a new ending (Michael Jackson and Mekia Cox would leave the stage together hugging each other).

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' would include an a cappella snippet of the Spanish version of the song.

'Dirty Diana' would include lots of new additions (one of them would be Michael Jackson and Orianthi Panagaris together in a bed).

The 'Off The Wall Medley' would have a change in its sequence because 'Off The Wall' would be the first song instead of 'Rock With You'.

Michael Jackson would also perform 'You Rock My World' on selected dates.

'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'' would include an a cappella snippet of 'Speechless'.

'Jam' would include a sample of 'Another Part Of Me', and there would be brand-new dance routines from his backup dancers.

'Dangerous' would include among others also a sample from '2000 Watts', and a lot of other new additions including brand-new dance routines.

'The Way You Make Me Feel' would include a new ending (Michael Jackson and Mekia Cox would leave the stage together hugging each other).

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' would include an a cappella snippet of the Spanish version of the song.

'Dirty Diana' would include lots of new additions (one of them would be Michael Jackson and Orianthi Panagaris together in a bed).

The 'Off The Wall Medley' would have a change in its sequence because 'Off The Wall' would be the first song instead of 'Rock With You'.

I doubt there would be a snippet of Speechless in WBSS... - the short clip in the movie could be MJ spontaneously singing it. I doubt there is any proof it would be something MJ would do at the actual concerts.

IJCSLY - I doubt very much there would be a snippet of the spanish version? That was just MJ singing it during rehearsals to Kenny Ortega, nothing more IMO.

Off The Wall was initially going to be included in the medley but was later taken out (possibly before the rehearsals at The Forum started).

There is no proof that You Rock My World was ever going to be a part of the show.

I think he might have had green shirt for Dangerous because the stage lights were green. Before it was red shirt and red lights.

I doubt there would be a snippet of Speechless in WBSS... - the short clip in the movie could be MJ spontaneously singing it. I doubt there is any proof it would be something MJ would do at the actual concerts.

IJCSLY - I doubt very much there would be a snippet of the spanish version? That was just MJ singing it during rehearsals to Kenny Ortega, nothing more IMO.
Agree, That was exactly what I was thinking... It is just another MJ-Frenzys desinformation taken and written like a statement... I am just soo tired of these kind of posts from him/her... I think he/she got a warning from mods, but as I can see, nothing changed and nothing happened.... Sad :(

To Topic: I don´t think that BJ would be fully live (take in mind one of the lasts songs, dance routine after 1,5 our of dancing and singing... I ´ve always though that BJ was almost on the end of the show, was kinda odd, wierd, not real...) ... There are fan recordings of rehearsals from outside of the staples centrum, MJ rehearsed BJ with classical lip synched vocals, just like HIStory tour...

Off The Wall was initially going to be included in the medley but was later taken out (possibly before the rehearsals at The Forum started).

There is no proof that You Rock My World was ever going to be a part of the show.
Do you think it would have been likely if Bad was added to the shows? I know it wasn’t on the setlist that I showed, but do you think its possible it could have been added later? And if so, do you think he would have sing that song live or lip synched?

This. Speechless snippet in the middle of WBSS doesn’t even make sense. Both songs aren’t anything alike. If Michael was going to do Speechless live, I could see it as medley with Human Nature and Stranger In Moscow.

This. Speechless snippet in the middle of WBSS doesn’t even make sense. Both songs aren’t anything alike. If Michael was going to do Speechless live, I could see it as medley with Human Nature and Stranger In Moscow.

I’ll ask the same thing I asked dethorro. Do you think it would have been likely if Bad was added to the shows? I know it wasn’t on the setlist that I showed, but do you think its possible it could have been added later? And if so, do you think he would have sing that song live or lip synched?

I’ll ask the same thing I asked dethorro. Do you think it would have been likely if Bad was added to the shows? I know it wasn’t on the setlist that I showed, but do you think its possible it could have been added later? And if so, do you think he would have sing that song live or lip synched?
Wasn’t Bad part of the Drill? If yes, then unlikely that it would be added to the shows. However, if Michael did add Bad for selective shows, then I think it would have been lip-synched.

Agree, That was exactly what I was thinking... It is just another MJ-Frenzys desinformation taken and written like a statement... I am just soo tired of these kind of posts from him/her... I think he/she got a warning from mods, but as I can see, nothing changed and nothing happened.... Sad :(

To Topic: I don´t think that BJ would be fully live (take in mind one of the lasts songs, dance routine after 1,5 our of dancing and singing... I ´ve always though that BJ was almost on the end of the show, was kinda odd, wierd, not real...) ... There are fan recordings of rehearsals from outside of the staples centrum, MJ rehearsed BJ with classical lip synched vocals, just like HIStory tour...
Michael might have not been there at that rehearsal so they had to use album vocals.

There was going to be some album vocals during the chorus:

Do you think it would have been likely if Bad was added to the shows? I know it wasn’t on the setlist that I showed, but do you think its possible it could have been added later? And if so, do you think he would have sing that song live or lip synched?
Possibly. I think the setlist would have changed somewhat as the shows went on. Seeing as Bad is one of Michael's biggest hits, I can see him deciding to throw it in the setlist for a couple of shows once in a while.

It seems like they were trying to ''improvise'' more with This Is It and not have everything set in stone. For example, Travis Payne has stated that Michael was going to be choosing the outfits he wanted to wear (that is either a Zaldy or a Michael Bush outfit) on the day of the show.

Also, they seemed to experiment with the setlist quite a bit. On June 24, they decided to put the Off The Wall medley right after WBSS, which is quite unusual.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the setlist would have been lip-synched, but I could be wrong. Apparently, he told Michael Prince that he wanted to sing live more, although it's hard to say if he really meant it. But, I doubt he would have sung Bad live.

Possibly. I think the setlist would have changed somewhat as the shows went on. Seeing as Bad is one of Michael's biggest hits, I can see him deciding to throw it in the setlist for a couple of shows once in a while.

It seems like they were trying to ''improvise'' more with This Is It and not have everything set in stone. For example, Travis Payne has stated that Michael was going to be choosing the outfits he wanted to wear (that is either a Zaldy or a Michael Bush outfit) on the day of the show.

Also, they seemed to experiment with the setlist quite a bit. On June 24, they decided to put the Off The Wall medley right after WBSS, which is quite unusual.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the setlist would have been lip-synched, but I could be wrong. Apparently, he told Michael Prince that he wanted to sing live more, although it's hard to say if he really meant it. But, I doubt he would have sung Bad live.
One more question, where would Bad be most likely placed on the set list? The set list is the tweet that I linked at the top of this thread.

Someone loves their Wikipedia articles.

It wasn't rehearsed so they probably didn't consider it.

Here, here. I definitely agree with you. Those two were just spur of the moment things, meant only for the rehearsals. Although, I must say that, for me, they are some of the most magical parts of the movie.

Maybe that's due to the seeming randomness of it all it, especially given the fact that in Michael's world, of most special communicators, spontaneity is, more often than not, an unaffordable luxury. And if I were to bet, I'd say the NSAs and the DIAs of the world had nothin' on him and his special abilities to get his message out.

Btw of the TII setlist, anybody else remember that poll they had on the website, where people could fill in, what was it, 20 or 25 songs? Can't remember if we could choose from a list or we could also submit songs.

Last edited:
Fans could choose from a list but they could also submit songs.

Here is what they announced:

"…What are your favorite songs? What would your dream set list include? Old and new, popular or obscure, your favorite songs may have a special meaning to you, recall a fond memory, or simply be a great dance tune. Everyone can vote! Everyone should create your ideal set list..." (michaeljacksonlive.com)

In any case, the fans' proposed 'This Is It' set list was merely a marketing ploy so as to attract fans to buy tickets for those shows.

Besides, it was reported at that time that Michael Jackson was obliged by AEG Live to perform only his greatest hits (classics) in those shows.

Travis Payne talked about exactly this in the one of postcasts he participated in. Don't remember exactly where. Maybe MJCast
Looks like MJ was ready to go for it

Fans could choose from a list but they could also submit songs.

Here is what they announced:

"…What are your favorite songs? What would your dream set list include? Old and new, popular or obscure, your favorite songs may have a special meaning to you, recall a fond memory, or simply be a great dance tune. Everyone can vote! Everyone should create your ideal set list..." (michaeljacksonlive.com)

Thanks for that reminder. I am gettin' on a bit and I'm starting to forget details.

One thing that I do remember is wanting WBSS as show opener, for most obvious reasons and also wanting Speechless and We've had enough to be on the list. I consider them absolute masterpieces, perhaps the greatest hidden gems in his catalog. I firmly believe that they are the two tunes that the whole world ought to get to know, because they showcase not only his continuing artistic brilliance at a time when many were dismissing him, but also the purity and beauty of his caring spirit and his amazing ability "to bring awareness and awakening and hope to people".

Now that I think about it, I think Speechless was among the choices, but I've had to put in We've had enough. In any case, I think I did pretty well in terms of priorities - I kinda got two, outta three, well sorta.......In any case, the truth is that the songs, however magical and wonderful so many of them are, did not represent the greatest motivation for wanting to attend concerts on certain key dates. I wanted to be there for the man, not the music. He could have sat there, in front of me and 20.000 other people, on a stool and recited the recipe to lasagna on a 2h loop, for all I cared. I'm sure I would have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience with a silly grin on my face, probably sighing the whole time. I just wanted to see him again, after such an awful long time, most especially after the trial.

As for the rest of your post, frenzy - obviously, the option on the website was mostly a marketing ploy, but I also believe it was a genuine attempt to gather information and gauge the fans' expectations.

At the same time, I don't believe neither the fans, nor AEG could actually decide what Michael was going to do or perform. The man may have been gracious enough to allow others the illusion of choice and he may have listened to suggestions (some better than others), but he was the one who called all the shots, as he should have - it was his show, his art, his vision.

Last edited:
I was really happy with the supposed set list
The only thing I do wish is Michael would have performed both Human Nature and Stranger In Moscow. I love both songs and I think they're different enough to both add something different to the show.

I remember hearing years ago, that Mike planned to rerecord his vocals for songs he intended to lipsync, is this true?

I heard he did rerecorded Stranger In Moscow. I like the idea of this because I doubt he could have sung live like he did up to the Bad era at 50 years old. At least it would have been something new for fans

It would have been pathetic - like the OTW-medley at HWT - if he did not re-record vocals.

Imagine seeing MJ at 50 singing with his 20-year-old voice... That would totally kill the illusion.

OTW-medley from HIStory tour is the worst MJ moment on stage IMO.

I do actually believe there would be more live singing - maybe like Dangerous tour.

It still makes me so very sad that MJ did not at least got the chance to perform 1 of the concerts.

I was really happy with the supposed set list
The only thing I do wish is Michael would have performed both Human Nature and Stranger In Moscow. I love both songs and I think they're different enough to both add something different to the show.

I remember hearing years ago, that Mike planned to rerecord his vocals for songs he intended to lipsync, is this true?

I heard he did rerecorded Stranger In Moscow. I like the idea of this because I doubt he could have sung live like he did up to the Bad era at 50 years old. At least it would have been something new for fans
According to Michael Prince MJ at first decided that he would re record vocals for some songs, and even did record some vocals for SIM and WBBS (although it is likely just scraps and not the full songs). He then later decided he wanted to try and sing as much as he could live and if he needed help he would just use lip sync like they always had.

Its interesting how Smooth Criminal changed during the rehersals. The stage had colorful lights at first but not anymore on June 23th.

What you guys think about the Billie Jean costume that was planned?

It could have looked great but I don't like how the stripes continued to the jacket.

Last edited:
With regards to lipsynching MJ said he wanted to sing live more but they never got round to doing a full run-through of the show & considering how damaged his lungs were at the time it's hard to guess if he could sing most of the show live.

There was also going to be a bunch of new theatrics like aerialists, flames at the end of Beat it, the spider & ghosts in Thriller, Bulldozer in Earth song, lightman, the 3D screen & the lighting looked great.

I think the reason why Thriller was lip synced on the DWT and HWT is because during the last half of the song it's not Michael performing because he's getting ready for the next song (Billie Jean or Beat It). For TII I don't think there was going to be any stand ins wearing that cheesy werewolf mask. So it may have been sung live.

About that moment in This Is It Thriller. Before Threatened. Was the music added for the movie or was it like that in the rehearsal?

I would like to see more footage from June 23rd/24th as the production was improving as they moved to Staples. From account this was his best run through. Perhaps in the future

Back