Which concert to get from the Victory Tour 1984?

R1chard

Proud Member
Hi guys,

I've always loved listening to live music, but so far I've only got the stuff that's been officially released. I'm more of an MJ fan than the J5, and I figure at this point there won't be any more official stuff, so I've been thinking about getting a bootleg DVD from this tour. I eventually want to end up with a recording from every tour, I guess I will work my way backwards.

A quick look on eBay reveals 3 DVDs: Kansas, Dallas and Toronto. The question is, to those who have some of them, which is best? Is the setlist the same every night? Do they all have the interlude? Which ones have Eddie Van Halen? Do they all have the same camera/editing/mastering?

In this case, my priorities would probably be (1) sound quality, (2) picture quality, (3) performance. It's obviously better to have all three, lol.

So can anybody shed some light on any differences? Any other dates worth looking at? Do they get tighter as the tour goes on? Perhaps they get more tired?

RIKMJ

Proud Member
The only ones really "watchable" are these ones, to be honest...

Galactus123

Proud Member
Toronto is the best. You can probably find and download the concerts from 2000 Watts section of this forum. You don't have to buy bootleg DVDs.

Last edited:

Hulkamaniac

Proud Member
Quality-wise:

1. Toronto
2. Kansas City
3. Dallas

Performance-wise:

1. Toronto
2. Dallas
3. Kansas City

Conclusion, get Toronto. Paying for a bootleg DVD is illegal, so you should go to 2000 Watts and download HappyLee's edition.

RIKMJ

Proud Member
Im not sure he can access 2000 watts yet as not enough posts? maybe..

Mikky Dee

Sunset Driver, Midnight Rider
Im not sure he can access 2000 watts yet as not enough posts? maybe..

Correct. Junior members need to have at least ten posts before they are upgraded to Proud Member.
That's when they are able to gain access to 2000Watts.

R1chard

Proud Member
The only ones really "watchable" are these ones, to be honest...
Thanks for those. There does seem to be a consensus on Toronto. It's a shame that wasn't the one with Eddie Van Halen.

The reason I have a preference for DVD is because
(1) Depending on the transfer, the quality will usually be a lot better than something on YouTube, which is often compressed then decompressed then compressed again. With a concert this old, I wanted to do everything possible to reduce any loss in quality.
(2) It's good just to have a copy - who knows when that link will suddenly stop working in the future, either because somebody closes their account, or lawyers get involved.

Conclusion, get Toronto. Paying for a bootleg DVD is illegal, so you should go to 2000 Watts and download HappyLee's edition.
I don't mind paying for a bootleg if it's good enough. I have plenty of CDs and DVDs from MJ and other artists (I've got a really good one of MJ duets and demos that I've never seen anywhere else, and I had Nirvana Live at Reading nearly 10 years before it had an official release).

Thanks for the heads up about 2000 Watts. I guess there's no rush.

Michaels Lover

Proud Member
(2) It's good just to have a copy - who knows when that link will suddenly stop working in the future, either because somebody closes their account, or lawyers get involved.
Which is why you should download it

R1chard

Proud Member
Yeah, fair enough.

I'm thinking Sony have one last chance to do something about this. If they don't release anything for the 40th anniversary, then I'm just gonna get it all elsewhere