Which operating system do you use?

Which operating system do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • OS X

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Linux (if so, please specify which distro)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kottur13

Proud Member
I use Windows 7 x64 / Ubuntu x64 dual boot.

This should be interesting...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I still use XP all the time as well though coz it's on my parents computer and all schools still use it.

Always been and always will be a Windows (XP) user. I had a moment of weakness before getting my current computer and considered getting a Mac but I snapped myself out of it, lol. I have a netbook that uses Linux (annoying) but I mostly use my desktop.

I'm currently using Windows 7 home edition (64bit) on a laptop and Ubuntu 9.04 on another one.

I use OSX and I don't understand the fondness with Windows especially XP and Vista.
I don't understand the fondness for OSX, it can't play many games at all, has less functionality (ie: the mouse)...it's basically like Ubuntu but not free, can only be run on Macs and comes bundled with some overrated software.

The Mac itself is crazily overpriced. For £520 I got a quad core i5 750 2.6GHz CPU, HD 5770 graphics card, 4GB 1333MHz RAM and a 1TB Samsung HDD. If you wanted a Mac with similar specs you'd be paying something stupid like £2000...and I can upgrade my hardware, with Macs you have to pay extortionate amounts to upgrade (just because it's a Mac).

If you're rolling in money, not good with computers and don't care about paying triple the price just for a brand name then Mac OSX is for you.

:)

*braces self*

I don't understand the fondness for OSX, it can't play many games at all, has less functionality (ie: the mouse)...it's basically like Ubuntu but not free, can only be run on Macs and comes bundled with some overrated software.

The Mac itself is crazily overpriced. For £520 I got a quad core i5 750 2.6GHz CPU, HD 5770 graphics card, 4GB 1333MHz RAM and a 1TB Samsung HDD. If you wanted a Mac with similar specs you'd be paying something stupid like £2000...and I can upgrade my hardware, with Macs you have to pay extortionate amounts to upgrade (just because it's a Mac).

If you're rolling in money, not good with computers and don't care about paying triple the price just for a brand name then Mac OSX is for you.

*braces self*

you could of just summed that up by saying OSX / Macs are shit :p
I don't get why people get them either, i've used them a few times and I don't really like them at all. But im a hater so im gonna hate :D

oh and also you ones on XP still you should get 7. I was sum1 who thought i'd be on XP forever and thought 7 would be as dodgy as Vista but it's not, it's very cool!

*braces self*

I personally don't care for games on my mac. If games on your PC are so important for you, then yes. The Mac library is so limited. Who said OSX has less functionality? Even the example you gave is not accurate. There are mice that work on both Win and OSX. You don't have to get the Apple one. Who says Mac is for those who know nothing about how to use computers? Mac has a much better UI that is both more organized and better looking, in my opinion. If my closet is better arranged than yours, does that mean it has worse or less clothes? Not necessarily. As far as the hardware goes, yes macs are famous for having some hardware parts that are less than PC's such as graphics cards and usually lesser ports. However, they have usually great screens and great battery life. However, they definitely can be equipped better. I like how thin and light they are unlike the huge heavy PC's.

The deciding factor for me personally is the OS. What's the use of your hardware if you cannot enjoy it? All the people I know with windows report hideous problems and annoyances. They do not enjoy or benefit a lot of their hardware and some of them are experienced users. Generalizing that Mac users know nothing about computers is silly actually. Professionals in many fields use primarily Macs. I have been using it for four years and couldn't be happier really. The daily comfort and reliability of my OSX is worth every penny for me.

I own both iMac 27" i7 and a PC, and I have to say a Mac wins hands down, at the end of the day you pay for what you get, its like comparing a Ferrari with a Vauxhall Corsa.

Its faster, nice to look at, just does what it expects to do, no clunky programs / hardware, totally secure (never had to update any software, don't need to run any anti-virus software, and why anyone would want to play games on a computer anyway, thats what an Xbox or PS3 are for! PC's are for people who just struggle in life, don't know any different, get a life get a Mac you won't go back.

I personally don't care for games on my mac. If games on your PC are so important for you, then yes. The Mac library is so limited. Who said OSX has less functionality? Even the example you gave is not accurate. There are mice that work on both Win and OSX. You don't have to get the Apple one. Who says Mac is for those who know nothing about how to use computers? Mac has a much better UI that is both more organized and better looking, in my opinion. If my closet is better arranged than yours, does that mean it has worse or less clothes? Not necessarily. As far as the hardware goes, yes macs are famous for having some hardware parts that are less than PC's such as graphics cards and usually lesser ports. However, they have usually great screens and great battery life. However, they definitely can be equipped better. I like how thin and light they are unlike the huge heavy PC's.

The deciding factor for me personally is the OS. What's the use of your hardware if you cannot enjoy it? All the people I know with windows report hideous problems and annoyances. They do not enjoy or benefit a lot of their hardware and some of them are experienced users. Generalizing that Mac users know nothing about computers is silly actually. Professionals in many fields use primarily Macs. I have been using it for four years and couldn't be happier really. The daily comfort and reliability of my OSX is worth every penny for me.
In the past 10 years I've used Windows 98 (not for very long), Windows ME, XP, Vista and Windows 7 and not had a single problem with them that wasn't caused by me messing it up myself. Although every time I did mess it up I managed to fix the problems. Not a single virus or BSOD. I think some people just don't take enough care of their computer. My brother even uses LIMEWIRE to download any old file but still hasn't got a virus himself.

My point with the mouse is that Apple are intentionally losing functionality just to be different, sure you can get a normal mouse but that's not my point. And if you just like it for the OS, why not get a cheap PC and stick Ubuntu on it? The UI is very similar and becoming rather popular so it's compatible with a lot of good software, you can also download WINE which allows you to run Windows executables.

Let's use this as an example. It's £1450, that hardware would cost about £300 without an OS but you're paying another £1200 for the OS and monitor...really?

Last edited:
Ok, I've been using Windows for years and years, from v3.11 all the way up to Vista Business Edition (yet to try v7). However, last year I bought my first Macbook because I'm trying to do some iPhone development work, and surprise surprise the SDK only works on Macs....

Now that I have been using the Mac for a while, I can safely say this..... Compared to Windows it's not good! It's like someone taking away your Technics Lego and giving you Duplo as a substitute... Yeah you can do stuff with it, but it's so prescriptive and simple that I almost feel like I'm being patronised when I use it.

That said, I now use the Mac more so that the Vaio laptop on a daily basis, but this is simply down to the fact that it boots faster. When I want to do anything technical, the Mac is pushed to one side and out comes the PC.

To be honest I don't really like Apple as a brand, despite being a happy iPhone user. The whole "elitist" attitude that Apple promote really rubs me up the wrong way Grrrr.

Anyway, I happily use both, but if I had to choose the Mac would lose.

Windows XP at my house and iMac at my family's house.

I have the worst windows system EVER - VISTA!

Hopefully I'll get Windows 7 soon.

Back