Which songs would you wish to see Michael record in the studio?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Sometimes music gets elevated when an artist performs it or when you see how it all evolved in the studio. When Brad Sundberg in one of his seminars showed footage of Michael performing childhood in the studio we were told it was a very special moment, something goosebump worthy. It makes a difference when we are not only able to hear but also to see facial reactions and emotions while recording or performing music. Unfortunately being the poor chap that I am I was never able to attend one of these seminars so all I got are honest reactions and reviews of those precious moments.
When I was reading one of those reviews here I started thinking which particular song would interest me the most to see studio footage from.

The one track that sprung to mind was "we've had enough". We are not yet graced with a leak or release of the tracks multi tracks or different takes of the song but there is no doubt in my mind that watching Michael recording this stuff in the studio would be awe inspiring and most likely incredibly emotional. There is an anger and confusion in his delivery of the lines that can only be understood when we can watch his emotions evolve and grow during the recording session. Michael always gave 100% when he sang, he never held back, especially not when a song has an important, relevant message like we've had enough. I believe this is one of the songs where you stop whatever it is your doing when it comes on because you immediately hear the emotion in his voice. I wish people oblivious of the song could experience this one day on the radio.

I purely wanted to highlight this track because to my knowledge I never talked about this song on here before. If you know me a bit you can probably fill in other songs that I am hugely fascinated by and the little exposition above could have been written for "be not always" or "someone in the dark" and so much more.

What is your pick?

Anything from the early years (Motown)

Last edited:
Any song where he goes bananas. We have footage of slower songs like All In Your Name and Fall Again. But nothing like going crazy towards the end of Keep The Faith or What About Us. Closest on top of my head is Just Good Friends
You are not alone for the same reason, especially towards the end where he goes 'bananas' with the high voice. Though in think part of that he does sing live during HIStory.

1 - Smile. The first take. And then watch the orchestra (and Bruce Swedien) give him a standing ovation after he was done.
2 - background vocals for SIM
3 - lead vocals for Whatever Happens
4 - Shout - lead vocals
5 - Show You The Way To Go - those ad-libs towards the end

The thread title did say 'songs' plural :D

P.S. Good point from MikeFann. I'm only doing daytime sessions! No middle of the night nonsense. I love Michael but there are limits, lol.

Last edited:
Sometimes music gets elevated when an artist performs it or when you see how it all evolved in the studio. When Brad Sundberg in one of his seminars showed footage of Michael performing childhood in the studio we were told it was a very special moment, something goosebump worthy. It makes a difference when we are not only able to hear but also to see facial reactions and emotions while recording or performing music. Unfortunately being the poor chap that I am I was never able to attend one of these seminars so all I got are honest reactions and reviews of those precious moments.
When I was reading one of those reviews here I started thinking which particular song would interest me the most to see studio footage from.

The one track that sprung to mind was "we've had enough". We are not yet graced with a leak or release of the tracks multi tracks or different takes of the song but there is no doubt in my mind that watching Michael recording this stuff in the studio would be awe inspiring and most likely incredibly emotional. There is an anger and confusion in his delivery of the lines that can only be understood when we can watch his emotions evolve and grow during the recording session. Michael always gave 100% when he sang, he never held back, especially not when a song has an important, relevant message like we've had enough. I believe this is one of the songs where you stop whatever it is your doing when it comes on because you immediately hear the emotion in his voice. I wish people oblivious of the song could experience this one day on the radio.

I purely wanted to highlight this track because to my knowledge I never talked about this song on here before. If you know me a bit you can probably fill in other songs that I am hugely fascinated by and the little exposition above could have been written for "be not always" or "someone in the dark" and so much more.

What is your pick?
In the closet
😏

Certainly Keep The Faith, Earth Song, Man In The Mirror, The Girl Is Mine, The Way You Make Me Feel and Smooth Criminal.

For me, and always on the top of my list, is the song BAD. From the initial conception to the final mix.

As a side note, I would love to have been there to witness those 1985-1987 sessions. The days would no doubt be long be very well worth it to experience.

Problem is for the best part the lights were supposedly out out on his request 😂
That's why I avoided the emotional ones cos he didn't like being watched when he was doing heavy emotional stuff, did he? I'm probably on shaky ground with Smile and SIM but haven't read anything about those being closed to anyone bar Bruce so on my list they go. In truth, if I could watch him do some backing vocals - for any song - I'd be happy.

Of course every song in it's own form and way or another has a significant story and the making behind it. It is hard to say or choose which ones I wished to see him record in the studio; I would say possibly Smile, Leave Me Alone, and Beautiful Girl would be top ones off of my head. I'd say anything would be so fascinating and intriguing.

I'd say anything would be so fascinating and intriguing.
Agree 100%. Although I did name specific songs I think I'd be happy to watch him record almost anything. If it's a song I really don't like (SOOML) then, no, but there are so many that I love. Mm, now I come to think of it, the falsetto bit in SC followed by the 'dad gone it, baby' section. If I could watch just those vocals being recorded - ooh, seventh heaven. ☺️

I would like to see Xscape - and also some of the songs recorded after 2005.

I Am Love
You Can't Win (12" version)
All I Do Is Think Of You
I Wanna Be Where You Are
Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin'
Who's Right, Who's Wrong (Kenny Loggins)
World Of Sunshine
I Can't Help It
All Night Dancin'
Different Kind Of Lady
Blues Away
Show You The Way To Go
Push Me Away
Euphoria
You Haven't Done Nothin' (Stevie Wonder)
All I Do (Stevie Wonder)
The Life Of The Party
To Know
The Lady In My Life
Time Waits For No One
Can You Remember
The Man (Paul McCartney)
Jam
Wait
Save Me (Dave Mason)
Don't Stand Another Chance (Janet Jackson)
What's Your Game? / Runnin' And Pushin' (M-D-L-T Willis) They don't sing on these, but the Jackson 5 produced these tracks

There is video footage that belongs to this audio that exists.
Wow. Just gorgeous. I think I've heard about this one, with all the coughing. Some people have a beef with that. Didn't bother me, just makes it more real.

But this was lovely, especially as we get to hear him speaking as well as singing. Kinda feels like you are right there with him (I mean, as opposed to being in the other room with Bruce and the techs which is how I was visualising this idea).

Beautiful photo, extra bonus. ☺️

I’ve said this before but, ‘wanna be startinsomethin’. Michael was known to dance in the booth as he recorded. the energy must have been bouncing off the walls - especially when it got to the chant at the end. I imagine him ‘catching the spirit’. I want to witness the euphoric release after all that pain. to see him jump up and down and fall to the ground in genuine emotion, would be a sight to behold.

I’ve said this before but, ‘wanna be startinsomethin’. Michael was known to dance in the booth as he recorded. the energy must have been bouncing off the walls - especially when it got to the chant at the end. I imagine him ‘catching the spirit’. I want to witness the euphoric release after all that pain. to see him jump up and down and fall to the ground in genuine emotion, would be a sight to behold.
Yeah that would be a good one. Though, we kind of see that in the live performances, especially since he sings it live. He really gets into it. Same for MITM.
Actually I would say he catches the spirit in every live song (but then people are going to complaining oh-he-did-not-sing-them-live)

Back