XSCAPE - Do You Know & Love Never Felt

actually we don't know at all what the leaked version of DYKWYCA is. It's most likely a 2010 WIP but it could also be the original demo.

Actually we do. It's not "the original demo". It's 2010 mix.

I've said that it could be a WIP (Work-In-Progress) version. My assumption is that the original track is simply overdubbed with the guitar solo

Well... a "work in progress" / raw version of a remake. Let's not start smartassin on such terms. "Work in progress" is not really some official term for anything. :)

I think the guitar riff is already part of the original.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Does this mean the 2009 release of This Is It used a cassette tape as its source?

It is. John McClain found Michael's demo on a cassette tape, stretched sections of it so it would fit a proper metronome and recorded overdubs (guitar, piano, background vocals, strings).

Well, whats left of the greatness is still great. Michaels vocals are great and the elements from the Yellow Magic Orchestra song are great. But this silly re-worked version ruins it on several levels. The excessive use of "eeeeh-hehehe" cut-up samples as a refrain (that obviously was not there in the original) which are even slightly out of key. Rediculous. Just imagin Greg Phillinganes cover from the 80s with Michaels voice. So much better.

The original, untouched demo version of Behind the Mask is Greg Phillinganes's instrumental with Michael's vocals; Michael gave him the instrumental back in '84 to use for a cover. I'm glad the estate released it remixed: it's the most dated song on the album. Production wise, it's stuck in the '80s, and honestly isn't easy to dance to. John McClain did Michael a favor by making it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFOalCHdb0

The original, untouched demo version of Behind the Mask is Greg Phillinganes's instrumental with Michael's vocals; Michael gave him the instrumental back in '84 to use for a cover. I'm glad the estate released it remixed: it's the most dated song on the album. Production wise, it's stuck in the '80s, and honestly isn't easy to dance to. John McClain did Michael a favor by making it better.

Last edited:
imo BTM should have been released on T25 instead of FAT(actually a dangerous outtake)

do you have a direct link or can you type what he exactly wrote?

Pretty much the same thing someone wrote here that he wrote on his facebook. He confirmed that the song Is Do You Know Where Your Children Are and that he recorded the guitar in 2010 and that he didn't play on the original version.

I have a full length copy of both DYNWYCA and LNFSG and a full copy of BTM.

BTM does not sound like that YT version. However, the music is very close. It is polished and sounds like something I believe Michael would be proud to have on his album.
LNFSG is a beautiful ballad. Feels like TLIML and PYT feel. At least to me. Lots of crooning.

DYKWYCA is edgy. A dance tune with a message. Something that Michael has put on every album.

imo BTM should have been released on T25 instead of FAT(actually a dangerous outtake)

That must have been one heck of a cataloging error for Michael to release a song from May 1990 for Thriller. Still have no clue how that made it. I love For All Time nonetheless though--it's a welcome return to the warm, simple love songs that Dangerous doesn't have.

I have a full length copy of both DYNWYCA and LNFSG and a full copy of BTM.

BTM does not sound like that YT version. However, the music is very close. It is polished and sounds like something I believe Michael would be proud to have on his album.
LNFSG is a beautiful ballad. Feels like TLIML and PYT feel. At least to me. Lots of crooning.

DYKWYCA is edgy. A dance tune with a message. Something that Michael has put on every album.

We all have them, but the version of Behind the Mask you more than likely have isn't the mix that Michael produced. It's a 2010 reworking.

That must have been one heck of a cataloging error for Michael to release a song from May 1990 for Thriller. Still have no clue how that made it. I love For All Time nonetheless though--it's a welcome return to the warm, simple love songs that Dangerous doesn't have.
maybe a writers demo was given to Michael in 1982. So it was (technically) a Thriller demo for him.

Last edited:

I don't think he really cared about if the song was from the Thriller era or not. He never thought in boxes. For him all that mattered was probably the "for all time"-message in combination with the super-timeless Thriller album. Which makes sense that way.

Also he might have been aware that the majority of people can't make a difference between songs from the 80s or 90s anyway. It's only us small group of nerds who hear / care about the difference. :)

John McClain...
the thought of this wanna-be-producer fiddling once again with Michaels songs is terrible.
After the absolute mess that Behind the Mask turned out. Leave it to the pro's John... please!!

But well, we'll see what happened this time...
exactly! wanna be producer messing with MJ album.
why don't he release his own albums?

John please stay away from good music. you are ruining it

What's with all the John McClain hate? Just because you personally didn't like what he did with BTM and / or MTS doesn't mean the guy's incapable of putting together a solid production. You all realize he worked on Invincible as well, and was the executive producer on Janet's Control and Rhythm Nation 1814 albums?

The contemporized version of Love Never Felt So Good has been one of the most consistently praised productions at the recent listening parties, so why not wait until you've actually heard the track before passing judgement?

Honestly, I have to wonder sometimes at the attitude of some of the people here... Aren't we all Michael Jackson fans? Isn't he a major advocate of love, compassion, forgiveness, respect and self-reflection? Yet here you are, name-calling an established producer who worked with MJ and who obviously cares about MJ and his music. "Wanna-be-producer"? "John McCrap"? Seriously?

Michael began working with Paul Anka in 1983, a year after Thriller was released, for the latter's duet album Walk a Fine Line. These collaborative sessions gave three songs: Love Never Felt So Good, I Never Heard and It Don't Matter to Me. Anka kept all of the stem recordings, given that they were all recorded at his private studio; Michael was always given a cassette reference tape. Unfortunately, these tracks were all put on the back burner after Michael attempted to take the stems of I Never Heard without permission. Anka threatened legal action and they were returned.

To my understanding, Anka was approached regarding Love Never Felt So Good and handed over the stems then. Not quite sure when this was, to be totally honest; it could have easily been back in 2010. But in any sense, John McClain had the masters to work with, so this won't be an amateur sounding recording.

I suppose this was what they've found in MJs vault back in 2009

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16905/lot/332/

What's with all the John McClain hate? Just because you personally didn't like what he did with BTM and / or MTS doesn't mean the guy's incapable of putting together a solid production. You all realize he worked on Invincible as well, and was the executive producer on Janet's Control and Rhythm Nation 1814 albums?

Well, we don't know what exactly McClain did there. "Executive producer" doesn't really mean he was involved with writing or aranging music. Usually the "Executive producer" is more like a production manager ...one of the guys in the background, organising things and business and shouting "yea, do more like this bam bam bam!" to the production team once in a while. :D

Honestly, I have to wonder sometimes at the attitude of some of the people here... Aren't we all Michael Jackson fans? Isn't he a major advocate of love, compassion, forgiveness, respect and self-reflection?

In a better world where everyone is wearing pink glasses maybe? :)

Yet here you are, name-calling an established producer who worked with MJ and who obviously cares about MJ and his music. "Wanna-be-producer"? "John McCrap"? Seriously?

According to Frank Cascio (not the "producer", thats his brother Eddie) 's book... John McClain suggested to Michael in preparation of the You Rock My World video to put on dark makeup and to put putty on his nose. Michael had a serious breakdown after that and the video shoot was delayed a day. Frank describes it very graphicly how much that hurt Michael.

See, next to all the crappy amateur music production jobs John McClain is responsible for on the "Michael" album, this is one of those things why i have no love for this guy.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, we don't know what exactly McClain did there. "Executive producer" doesn't really mean he was involved with writing or aranging music. Usually the "Executive producer" is more like a production manager ...one of the guys in the background, organising things and business and shouting "yea, do more like this bam bam bam!" to the production team once in a while. :D
Well, the point was also that he has obviously been involved in the music business for a while now. Which means he must have done something right at some point.

In a better world where everyone is wearing pink glasses maybe? :)
Fair enough. I just get tired of the negativity man, and I can't stand people bashing a production they haven't even heard yet. Like I said -- if people didn't like his work on BTM / MTS or don't like the guy for personal reasons, that's fine, but it's not gonna change the fact that he is involved with this album. So they can either spend their energy on staying angry and spreading their negativity here, or they can accept that fact and give LNFSG a chance. Again -- it has received consistent praise at all the listening parties.

According to Frank Cascio (not the "producer", thats his brother Eddie) 's book... John McClain suggested to Michael in preparation of the You Rock My World video to put on dark makeup and to put putty on his nose. Michael had a serious breakdown after that and the video shoot was delayed a day. Frank describes it very graphicly how much that hurt Michael. See, next to all the crappy amateur music production jobs John McClain is responsible for on the "Michael" album, this is one of those things why i have no love for this guy.
I haven't read his book so this is the first I've heard of this story. If true, then yeah, that's an extremely insensitive and disrespectful thing to say. Seems MJ got over it though (again, if the story is true at all) seeing how McClain was named co-executor of the estate by Michael himself in his will.

According to Frank Cascio (not the "producer", thats his brother Eddie) 's book... John McClain suggested to Michael in preparation of the You Rock My World video to put on dark makeup and to put putty on his nose. Michael had a serious breakdown after that and the video shoot was delayed a day. Frank describes it very graphicly how much that hurt Michael.

See, next to all the crappy amateur music production jobs John McClain is responsible for on the "Michael" album, this is one of those things why i have no love for this guy.

I understand your opinion. If it indeed happened like that, it would be a shame!
But we don't know the facts. We only heard Frank tell about it.
And we know that Frank could have an agenda regarding John Mc Clain.

Because we heard Mc Clain was against the release of the songs from Franks's brother, Eddie.
So Frank would have a real reason to through some dirt over John Mc Clain.

There are more sides to this story...

Of course that YRMW/McClain story, as almost everything we "know", is all just about hear-say...
For me it's the way how detailed Frank described the situation and Michaels reaction that gives me the gut feeling that he can't have made that up. I don't trust his brother Eddie at all, and the fact that he and Frank fell out over Michael-things kind of adds to Franks credibility for me. I think Franks book is one of the best - most honest and reflective ever written about Michael.

All i'm saying is that given the "Michael" album, i'm highly suspicious towards any new McClain involvement in keeping Michaels legacy alive. If the YRMW-story is true it also gives a good insight into McClains business-driven approach on HOW he wants to keep the legacy alive ...all about the good old early 80s.

But anyway, of course i will give the remade "Love Never Felt So Good" a chance, i never said i'd boycott it without even listening. :)

It's hilarious how much people wanted to rip on McClain and not Branca. Like how confused can you be.

Anyway, was anything changed in DYKWYCA for Dangerous? I know HIStory version has a new drum beat applied.

Back