Xscape 10th Anniversary

Dangerous History Invincible would not be worthy of a worthy anniversary

Guess we'll just celebrate the anniversary regardless.

10 Years On, how do we feel about the songs, their contemporizations, and this format?

I think it is a pretty measured body of work, and their choice of partners was actually very subdued. Timbaland, Stargate, and Darkchild, in 2014, was pretty far removed from the pop charts peaks. Imagine if they actually had recruited a Bieber producer, or a Taylor Swift 1989 hit maker. Shudder.

The new music itself also conformed to MJs vocals; no elaborate dubstep tricks like a certain Afrojack producer. No raps inserted where they didn't belong, something Teddy Riley did far too much of on Michael, and something you can argue even MJ himself did on Invincible.

I think as it stands, Xscape, tastes aside, doesn't stand out too far from MJs norms as an artist and producer. And it doesn't break MJs insistence of doing the music his own way, without needing up and coming 20 something year olds to bolster himself and seem young (Like a certain, Drake). It's intent is for everyone to enjoy, young, old, and in between.

I do hope next time they continue with the melodies and sounds MJ himself helped sculpt rather than upend them entirely. And more reliable producers never hurts certainly. But I do like new talents, and MJ certainly appreciated that much in his career. He left Quincy for a reason after all.

Back