The immense difference between MJ's video for "Childhood" & his other ones like "YANA"...?

ForeverKOP

Proud Member
The immense difference between MJ's video for "Childhood" & his other ones like "YANA"...?

I watched Peter Pan recently & throughout the whole movie I couldn't stop thinking about Michael. After I finished watching it, I re-read some things that he had said about his childhood & it just made me so sad. The things that happened to his wonderful, magical Neverland are especially saddening. I also re-watched his music video for "Childhood", and while I felt his sorrowful message & ended up crying, I couldn't help but think how different this video (Childhood) was from all the others that he released...especially "You Are Not Alone". Childhood & YANA were released the same year, are from the same album, and are back-to-back on the track listing...yet in one video, he's talking about his innocence & his lost childhood and in the other video he's naked & intimate with his wife...:blink:. I'm trying really hard to understand here, but I'm having a tough time. Like how...? And it's not just YANA - I'm just talking about YANA because it was created/released around the same time that Childhood was - but in all of his other videos, he certainly isn't saying or doing "elementary things"...

Re: The immense difference between MJ's video for "Childhood" & his other ones like "YANA"...?

We all have more than one facet to us. He just wasn't shy about examining each one of them in earnest. Inner child, black panther power, lover, trouble maker in Egypt etc. (I'm obviously not just talking about HIStory).

I'm not sure why it confuses people so much. He's just very aware that all of his facets make up the whole- the entire being.
What people referred to as his 'eccentricities' was just another aspect of himself- the way we all have different aspects to ourselves- it's just that most of us are real experts in reigning them in a bit more- to fit in, to make a living etc. He didn't seem to bother with any of that. I think that was his real, real strength. He dared to be who he is.

Think of it like a really different perfume, it's built in stages. You cover yourself with it- and at first you get a fresh floral note.
Wait 20 minutes, and hm, suddenly there's some depth coming along with that amber.
Wait another hour and suddenly you're swimming up to your eyeballs in delicious incense, patchouli and musk.

Last edited:
Re: The immense difference between MJ's video for "Childhood" & his other ones like "YANA"...?

^^^ Great analogy Pace .. LOL

Here is how I reconsile it _ In childhood he is saying people attack him for his childlike behaviour. Now he is not always behaving as a child but that what they use against him. He tries to explain why he lives in that state. But Michael is also a man of many facets not just childlike.
Its all innocent :) Michael is All MAN and also a child at HEART. I see no conflict. Even his playful sexuality comes from an innocent place.(Not childlike innocence but innocent non the less) Plus he says not all his songs or videos are biographical. So in some he is playing a role (acting). His songs and videos addresss many issues, innocent things, Love songs, betrayal, lust, and also Human issues and worldly problems that concern us. All come from a place of innocence.

Thats other side of Michael, I guess. Compare Childhood to Panther Dance or In The Closet. Michael isn't always crying, sad Peter Pan :lol: lol

^^pace, only you can perfume as an analogy. beautiful!

Make me want to have a few sprays of my favorite perfume now.

I love the song Childhood.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K-8DO6k3HJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In this movie Meryl Streep has a daughter who is going to be married so I assume she and her friends ought to be at least 40 years.But they have been 17 and remember how it was.In other parts in the movie she is a responsible mother.
That´s how life is.

Great topic :clap:

Indeed, that's life... I mean that's the beauty... To show off different 'facets' in your life...
Having a child like innocence doesn't mean Michael can't 'behave' like a man... That's human nature after all...
We all have our shown and 'hidden' qualities ;)

I echo what others have said here. He is a multi-faceted being. I think his short films are like a biography of himself in all aspects. He was also inspired by and compared himself to Charlie Chaplin, whom he called the "king of pathos" and I think that really shines through in his short films too. Stories of childhood, love, healing the world, the media, loneliness, controversy, ect...they all represent him as a whole.

it's just that most of us are real experts in reigning them in a bit more- to fit in, to make a living etc. He didn't seem to bother with any of that. I think that was his real, real strength. He dared to be who he is.

That's what I admire the most about Michael, even more than the incredible talent. It took such strength of character to be in his position and to continue to be true to who he was. He was ridiculed for his beliefs and humiliated and accused over his unorthodox lifestyle and yet he never stopped being himself in an attempt to fit in. He never pretended to be anything other than what he was. I find that to be his most inspiring quality.

He is a true inspiration and ONE OF A KIND!

So you guys mean he had multiple personalities? Isn't that a disorder? I'm probably understanding this wrong... :mello:

So you guys mean he had multiple personalities? Isn't that a disorder? I'm probably understanding this wrong... :mello:

Where's the hidden camera for "Let's diagnose him with some Peter Pan syndrome/arrested development blablabla 'cause his fans say so'?

Seriously. Strange feeling.

I don't wish to sound rude, but NOBODY on this thread has implied anything like that. I've heard this nonsense for years- on some God awful talk shows.

If you wish to come to that conclusion then I guess there's no stopping you- but you won't find fans giving you that in writing, I can assure you.
This is not a case of being 'unrealistic' toward Michael, being 'blind and naive' or anything else.
Please stop turning a multifaceted human being and magnificent artist into something with pathological traits. An entire thread dedicated to just that?

Excuse the weird feelings, but it sounds exactly like some TV 'psychologist' assigning him some made up diagnosis through a camera.

I can assure you no one is meaning that or implied that in this thread. (only you) Being a GENIOUS and a multi facted person doesnt mean you have a personailty disorder. It mean like any other person you can be playful you can be serious - You can be childlike you can be manly - You can be angry you can be loving - You can be saintly you can be BAD :) (in a good way) All human are multifacted some more than others.

Back