Bad- Drum sounds

innuendo141

Proud Member
Country
Ireland
Hey guys,

I know there's been a few threads about BAD this week that are already doing the rounds, but I had to post this in case I forgot it later.

I remember listening to an interview where Quincy Jones stated that Michael was the one who wanted the most up to date modern drum sounds, and that he himself wanted to go a different route, which I take as more conservative sounding snare drums, rather than the snare we hear throughout the Bad album (that 80's sounding hard hitting crunch).

Now, my question to everyone is, can you imagine the Bad album with different sounding drums, eg. Thriller era cleaner snare sounds? It's an interesting idea because the songs on Bad wouldnt be tied down to the 80's feel, but at the same time there isn't a thing I would change with any song.

Would cleaner more old fashioned drum sounds have made the album better or worse? Was Quincy looking for a Thriller II? Would it still have spawned 6 number 1's?

To me Michael got it right. The drums are perfect, but I have seen many a post stating that they feel that the album sounds dated so I'd like to know what others think IF Quincy had gotten his way?

(I can't remember for the life of me where I heard this interview- Bad Special Edition? If anyone can let me know I will post).

Of all his material, Bad sounds the most dated to me. I'm not saying that as a negative as everyone knows it's one of the greatest albums ever. But you can tell that's a mid-late 80's album.

Even though much of OTW is disco and is set in a specific era, music wise the instruments haven't dated.

Dangerous hasn't dated at all save for 'Keep The Faith' which also has Bad-style production I think.

But to answer your question, 35 million sales and the fact we all still listen to album today means he got it right :), even if Bad isn't the most listened to track.

In retrospect, I've NO idea why I made this a different thread to the thee bad one.

Sorry mods, can you merge???

Back