The Mask

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
To my mind, the mask that MJ used to wear (day & night) especially from HIStory era onwards was simply an attempt to establish a new, unique image trademark (like the one glove, hat, or even the white socks).

All the other theories (susceptibility to sunlight, protection from laryngitis etc...) were just excuses.

To my mind, the mask that MJ used to wear (day & night) especially from HIStory era onwards was simply an attempt to establish a new, unique image trademark (like the one glove, hat, or even the white socks).

All the other theories (susceptibility to sunlight, protection from laryngitis etc...) were just excuses.

This is your opinion.

I think he wanted to hide a little. - And maybe create mystique too.

But I doubt very much he wanted (and thought it possible) to make a surgical mask a new trademark...

I think it gave him some privacy in some way - or at least that's maybe what he felt. - A little protected from "electric eyes" - cameras etc.

New trademark - absolutely no... IMO

If I'm not wrong, he used to say that people "see" him too much already (being overexposed), so wearing the mask would give them something to wonder about, at the same time allowing him a bit of privacy.

If I'm not wrong, he used to say that people "see" him too much already (being overexposed), so wearing the mask would give them something to wonder about, at the same time allowing him a bit of privacy.

But, I think that wearing the mask made him even more recognisable.

Yeah I think it had practical functions but was mostly a style choice. I wouldn't go so far as trademark, but he was unique and thought about his look, he definitely wanted to align himself with the item in a way that was recognisable to people.

He was a master at capturing attention universally, with the glove, the tape on his fingers, the CTE on his shirts... I too believe it was both privacy and mystique, to keep people interested and guessing.

Excuses? Are you freaking kidding me!?

Michael had two auto immune skin diseases that made him more sensitive and vulnerable to the sunlight. It created mystic as well but doctors tell lupus patients to stay away from the sun. I'd rather believe Michael than your mere speculations mj_fremzy.

At 1:26 explaining why he wears the mask.

Last edited:
Exactly-also discoid lupus causes horrific blisters on your face-how many times do you see Michael just wearing a little bandaid on his face-it's in his tours-in Bad video rehearsals-still shots-maybe some days were worse than others-maybe he was trying to prevent getting more of them.

Had the convenience I guess of creating some mystery-but it's definitely a medical thing.

Thank you for the info about his medical conditions, I've never heard his explanation about the mask before today.

Thank you for the info about his medical conditions, I've never heard his explanation about the mask before today.

First time for me too. No matter what he said people still didn't believe him. That's the world for ya

Vitiligo and sunlight:

People who develop vitiligo usually first notice white patches (depigmentation) on their skin. These patches are more commonly found on sun-exposed areas of the body, including the hands, feet, arms, face, and lips.

How Is Vitiligo Diagnosed?

The diagnosis of vitiligo is made based on a physical examination, medical history, and laboratory tests.

A doctor will likely suspect vitiligo if you report (or the physical examination reveals) white patches of skin on the body, particularly on sun-exposed areas, including the hands, feet, arms, face, and lips. If vitiligo is suspected, the doctor will ask about your medical history. Important factors in the diagnosis include a family history of vitiligo; a rash, sunburn, or other skin trauma that occurred at the site of vitiligo before depigmentation started; stress or physical illness; and premature graying of the hair (usually before age 35). In addition, the doctor will ask whether you or anyone in your family has had any autoimmune diseases and whether you are very sensitive to the sun.

Treatment:

Depigmentation. This treatment involves fading the rest of the skin on the body to match the areas that are already white. For people who have vitiligo on more than 50 percent of their bodies, depigmentation may be recommended. Patients apply the drug monobenzyl ether of hydroquinone (monobenzone) twice a day to pigmented areas until they match the already depigmented areas. You will be advised to avoid direct skin-to-skin contact with other people for at least 2 hours after applying the drug, as transfer of the drug may cause depigmentation of the other person’s skin. The major side effect of depigmentation therapy is inflammation (redness and swelling) of the skin. You may also experience itching or dry skin. Depigmentation tends to be permanent and is not easily reversed. In addition, a person who undergoes depigmentation will always be unusually sensitive to sunlight.

Sunscreens. People who have vitiligo, particularly those with fair skin, should minimize sun exposure and use a sunscreen that provides protection from both UVA and ultraviolet B light. Tanning makes the contrast between normal and depigmented skin more noticeable. Sunscreen helps protect the skin from sunburn and long-term damage.

http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/vitiligo/

Vitiligo: Tips for managing

Dermatologists share the following tips with their patients who have vitiligo.

Protect your skin from the sun

Everyone who has vitiligo can benefit from sun protection. Here’s why:

Skin that has lost its color sunburns very easily.
A bad sunburn can worsen vitiligo.

If you have fair skin, avoiding a tan usually makes the vitiligo barely noticeable.
If you chose to treat vitiligo with depigmentation, that is removing the remaining color from your skin, the sun can cause spots of color to form on your skin. You will need to depigment your skin again to remove these spots of color.

To protect your skin from the sun, dermatologists recommend:
1. Use sunscreen.

Generously apply sunscreen every day to skin that will not be covered by clothing. Use a sunscreen that offers:

UVA/UVB protection (label may say “broad spectrum”)
A sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more
Water resistance

2. Apply sunscreen every day.

Be sure to apply it at least 15 minutes before going outdoors.
3. Reapply sunscreen when outdoors.

If you will be outdoors, be sure to reapply the sunscreen:

Every 2 hours, even on cloudy days.
After being in water or sweating.

4. Wear clothing that protects your skin from the sun.

Skin covered by clothing that has a high SPF does not need sunscreen. Not all clothing offers high SPF. A long-sleeve denim shirt has an SPF of about 1,700. A white t-shirt only has an SPF 7, and a green t-shirt has about an SPF 10.

You can boost the SPF of clothing, by adding a product that increases the SPF of clothing during the wash cycle. You add this product to the wash machine. The increase in SPF is usually good for about 20 washings.
5. Seek shade.

This is especially important when your shadow is shorter than you are. That’s when the sun’s damaging rays are at their strongest and you are likely to sunburn.
Do not use tanning beds and sun lamps.

These are not safe alternatives to the sun. These, too, can burn skin that has lost pigment.

https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/u---w/vitiligo/tips

He was telling the truth about being sensitive to sunlight.

Last edited:
Not only vitiligo made him vulnerable to the sun, lupus did as well.

How Does Ultraviolet Light Stimulate an Autoimmune Response in Lupus?

One of the functions of a normal immune system is to get rid of old, dying, or defective cells. This normal cell death process is called "apoptosis." Research shows that when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet light it may cause many of your skin cells to die. These dead cells are powerful stimulators of the immune system. In people with lupus, the process of apoptosis is slowed and the pronged presence of these dead skin cells produces the inflammatory response in your skin that causes a lupus rash. A sunburn can cause massive skin cell death, and in someone with lupus it can trigger the immune system enough to cause inflammation not only in the skin but also in the joints, muscles, and internal organs.

How Can You Protect Yourself From Ultraviolet Light Exposure?

"It is best to avoid prolonged sun exposure. Make sure you use sunscreen with SPF (sun protection factor) greater than or equal to 15, and one that blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Wear protective clothing. Use a broad-brimmed hat, long-sleeved shirt, and long pants if you are going to be outside for long periods of time. Also, watch out for photosensitive medications, which can make you even more sensitive to sunlight," advises Bishnoi.

Here are more tips for protecting sun-sensitive skin:

Avoid any prolonged sun exposure but be especially careful at mid-day, when ultraviolet light is strongest. Remember that clouds do not filter out all of the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
Most people apply less sunscreen than they need. To achieve the maximum SPF, you need to apply at least one ounce of sunscreen per application. The most frequently missed areas are the back, the sides of the neck, and around the ears.
Sunlight is not the only source of ultraviolet light. Fluorescent lights and photocopiers emit some ultraviolet light. Tanning beds are not safe for people with lupus.
Some antibiotics, like tetracycline, can make you more sensitive to sunlight, so ask your doctor or pharmacist about photosensitivity any time you start a new drug.
Car and house windows screen out UVB rays but not UVA. You can buy films to coat these windows for UVA protection.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/lupus/sun-exposure-and-lupus.aspx

I'm almost certain he also used it to cover his face when he had reconstructive surgeries or when lupus was attacking his nose and mouth. Just remember the circus nasty tabloids created when Michael showed up the the Marcel Avram trial with a mask and he was asked to remove it when he was on the stand, he had a bandaid on his nose which it looked unflattering in many pictures and those bastards began to say his nose was falling off, probably hed had an injury and it was healing when the trial began but next day after that incident, he didn't had the bandaid and his nose looked fine. If you pay attention to Michael's wardrobre since the mid 80s, he followed every recomendation to protect himself from the sun, he rarely wore t-shirts in public.

012.jpg

015.jpg

Without the bandaid next day. He looked gorgeous actually.

016.jpg

I agree this does seem logical but at the same time I feel that Michael also wore the mask because it made him feel more secure, like he is hiding from the cameras, the mask I believe was a way to not necessarily try and disguise himself but to hide from the cameras we know he was insecure about his looks.

I think that's possible too, I feel more secure and hidden while wearing sunglasses, a mask would probably feel much the same I think. Michael was one of the most photographed people on the planet and it probably left him feeling pretty exposed sometimes.

When I'm working in different countries, I actually see quite a few people (mainly Chinese or Japanese) that openly wear these masks in public. Not such a big deal.

You're all probably correct. A mixture of health/mystique/shyness.

You're all probably correct. A mixture of health/mystique/shyness.

I think that a lot of "fashion statements" MJ made also had to do with practical reasons. For example that stuff he wore on his arm, while being a fashion item I think also served to cover the vitiligo marks on his arm.

xRwnD.jpg

MJ+2013+1988+Vitiligo+Black+or+White.jpg

Oh, and I remember someone who knew MJ (some actress) said once that the single glove also came about when MJ tried to hide his vitiligo by wearing it.

^Cicely Tyson's quote about the glove.

“All of a sudden, he [Cicely's and Michael's designer] said, ‘I’m doing this glove for Michael’. Michael was beginning to develop the vitiligo and it started on his hand. The glove was to cover the vitiligo; that’s how that glove came into being.” The glove design and reason for it were not just hearsay for Tyson, she said. “I was there when he was creating it.” -Cicely Tyson, actress

I also believe many of his fashion choices were to protect himself from the sun, looking presentable (having spotted hands, arms, face like an animal may not look nice) and having privacy.

Last edited:
Back