15th Jan 2008, Michael Jackson News and Mentionings

L.J

Proud Member
Well today's news is circulating around the Thriller 25 excitement which seems to be building more and more. :wild:

Rhymefest's Jackson remix is a thriller

The Michael Jackson revival is in full swing. A 25th anniversary edition of "Thriller," his biggest album, is scheduled for release next month, and Jermaine Jackson says there will be a Jackson 5 reunion tour this year that includes his most famous brother. Bottom line is that Jackson is still an icon, despite a litany of tabloid indiscretions that would've crushed most careers and reputations.

But Jackson also hasn't made much compelling new music in at least decade. And I doubt that any of the Michael-is-back projects will equal the artistic inventiveness (or the affordability) of the latest release from South Side rapper Rhymefest, who just released "Man in the Mirror (The Michael Jackson Dedication Album)" as a free download on his Web site, rhymefest.com.

The release is musical contraband; it flouts copyright law and dips into the Jackson back catalog, including a trove of audio interviews. It rearranges this material into a fascinating virtual collaboration between two artists of different generations who have never met. Gimmicky as it sounds, sparks fly. Jackson hasn't had such a provocative and inspired collaborator since he was working with producer Quincy Jones.

Such legally dicey remix projects have been a crucial part of the hip-hop underground for at least a decade and survive in part because they're usually low profile and low profit. Rhymefest says he lost money paying for studio time to make "Man in the Mirror," and isn't going to make a penny off its release.

What's more, Rhymefest is clearly a fan; he digs beyond the obvious hits in songs stretching across five decades. Even his jokes at Jackson's expense are affectionate rather than mean-spirited. The humor is one of the disc's greatest charms. Rather than coming off as a freak, Jackson is portrayed as a gentle eccentric with musical chops to burn.

Chopped and spliced into the audio equivalent of a buddy film by Rhymefest and his longtime producer Mark Ronson, the disc humanizes Jackson through mock conversations; they range from juvenile jokes to a poignant exchange on race relations. Jackson acts as a virtual catalyst, his performances on vintage tracks inspire potent new songs. Best of all is "No Sunshine," in which Jackson's impassioned interpretation of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" courses through an equally fierce Rhymefest meditation on the traps of ambition. "You ever wanted something so bad 'til you got it," Rhymefest asks, "and it loses all the magic and it just don't feel exotic?"

"Man in the Mirror" brings out the best in both artists. It's prime Rhymefest, a prelude to his forthcoming album, "El Che," due out through more legitimate channels later this year. And it adds up to the best Michael Jackson album in nearly two decades — even though he may not even know it exists.

Exclusive: Listen to a clip of Michael Jackson's new single

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3186528.ece

I haven't got any mentionings yet :)

Michael Jackson HIStory:

2001 - Michael Jackson's CD single for "Butterflies" was released commercially in the U.S.

2003 - Michael Jackson attended Maurice Gibb's private funeral.

2004 - Michael Jackson's video "Number Ones" was certified Gold and Platinum by the RIAA.

L.J's MJJC Tip of the Day:

Hey hey :D

Today's tip is to ensure that you enable your reputation points B)

- Go to your User CP and Edit Options and check the Show my reputation Level so people can add to your reputation and see how awesome you are!

To give someone reputation points, you click on the little white icon that's at the bottom left of someone's post. It's to the right of the green world thing that shows a user is online.

And it adds up to the best Michael Jackson album in nearly two decades — even though he may not even know it exists.

this right here represents the biggest fallacy of MJ's career ... people actually believe that michael retired after thriller and worst yet, he's nothing w/o quincy jones.

it's a crock and disrespectful of the man's creative genius

Rhymefest might be a fan of Michael's. But this article had a very disrespectful overtone. The author could have just talked about the thing without the snide little jabs about Michael's musical output.

Rhymefest might be a fan of Michael's. But this article had a very disrespectful overtone. The author could have just talked about the thing without the snide little jabs about Michael's musical output.

I agree the artical made it seem like MJ was nothing now that his tallent had faded away e.t.c i just hope when he releases his new album he would shut that reporter up

but Jackson also hasn't made much compelling new music in at least decade. And Idoubt that any of the Michael-is-back projects will equal the artistic inventiveness (or the affordability) of the latest release from South Side rapper Rhymefest

Now that just pissed me off :mat:
It isnt good for Rhymfest either for this guy to cut down Michael and
pit their talent against MJ's accomplishments and New offerings ..
lets see who hits the charts - between the 2 ..

Invincible was a great album - Some of Mj's best songs are on it.
It was great music and it also showed off his amazing vocals and
more of his softer side - from his heart so to speak - but also had
some great dance and hard banging tunes ..

I like Rhymfests "Man in the mirror" -
but the ONLY reason I like it is becuase MJ is on it. :p
but now I have lost some affection for it after that writeup

Last edited:
Back