Change set-list?

Mr. Norway

Proud Member
I was wondering: Do you think MJ will change the set-list a lot during the shows? I mean, it would be a little sad if he performed the exact same tunes for 50 shows. My guess, or hope, is that he has a small basis of songs with Billie Jean, Beat it and Thriller as songs that he´ll play every night, and then varies the songs from time to time.

"I will perform the songs my fans wanna hear", is what he said. But the truth is that the fans wanna hear a lot of different songs. Some fans, of cours, and the main public are keen to just hear the biggest hits. Other fans, myself included, would be very happy if he also performed songs that he never performed before, new music and so on. For instance, I would die to hear him perform "Whatever Happens" live, that would be amazing. I also think it would be great that he at some shows had a part where he performed covers of artists that he loves, and a new one every night. Imagine if MJ one night did a medley of James Brown songs, another night did a medley of Beatles and continued with Stevie Wonder and various other acts. That would be cool IMO.

What do you think???

Count on it;)

Ah, a fellow Norwegian:)

Heisann. Hvem er du? Pleier du å være på MJOAI?

Half the concerts in 2009 would be the same, the other half changed, then the songs that went down best from both setlists would be played in 2010.

That's how I see it going down :)

I can't see MJ doing the same setlist every single night. I think he will switch it up sometimes just to give himself some variety.

He could also be adding new songs from the new album, as singles get released. Like he did on the Bad Tour.

Yeahh I hope so because I was lucky enough to have brought tickets for his first 10 shows so here's hoping he will play all his best songs in those first 10 (the official dates) and maybe mix and match for the others. Lol

It would be amazing if he'd add new songs too :) it's been such a long waitttt

I think there will be two legs here. July/August/September 2009 one set-list and January/February 2010 a different one. Would make sense that way but who knows?

I was wondering: Do you think MJ will change the set-list a lot during the shows? I mean, it would be a little sad if he performed the exact same tunes for 50 shows. My guess, or hope, is that he has a small basis of songs with Billie Jean, Beat it and Thriller as songs that he´ll play every night, and then varies the songs from time to time.
Yeah! I hope so too.... I would be a bit dull to play 50 shows in the same city and play the same set of songs every night! But then again, people are only allowed to attend 4 shows max. (according to Ticketmaster) so who knows?

Not too keen on the coversongs though... he has enough of his own songs to play!

I dont think it will change that much to be honest, Michael likes to be rehearsed and set for each concert he does, he didnt make major changes to the line ups in his previous tours, just had a few songs he would either add or take out. I really dont see big changes over short periods of time, as it involves more rehearsal, especially if the band dont perform a song or series of songs for a while, say two weeks, and then there is cheorgraphy, the timing of costume changes, adding and taking out songs affects everything that happens in the concert.

I think there will be two legs here. July/August/September 2009 one set-list and January/February 2010 a different one. Would make sense that way but who knows?

I think you could be right, I think it might work much like the history tour legs, certain songs taken out and some new ones added. probably depending on the release of a single happening, etc?

Yeah, but there are several songs he could easily switch in and out... songs like Blood on the dancefloor, Human Nature, Stranger in moscow, Another part of me, Dirty Diana, Man in the mirror, Rock with you, Off the wall, D.S., Come together... mainly songs which don't feature big production and is mainly Michael on stage... the band will be capable of playing different songs on short notice... they are professionals!

Yeah, but there are several songs he could easily switch in and out... songs like Blood on the dancefloor, Human Nature, Stranger in moscow, Another part of me, Dirty Diana, Man in the mirror, Rock with you, Off the wall, D.S., Come together... mainly songs which don't feature big production and is mainly Michael on stage... the band will be capable of playing different songs on short notice... they are professionals!

Im not doubting that they are professionals, however they dont do that in his concerts, he isnt U2, who play a different setlist almost every concert, Michaels consistently follow a pattern, one that has been outlined and planned in advance. He has B plan songs, ones that are kept in or removed, however have been heavily rehearsed beforehand. Like the DS Come Together and then that was removed and replaced with Blood on the dance floor in leg 2 of the HIStory tour.

You guys can think he will change his setlist for these concerts but why would he change what has been the habit of a lifetime?

I think he should change the tracklist sometimes.
Could be good that he make in some dates the tracklist from BAD TOUR, then Dangeours tour and finally HIStory Tour.

Im not doubting that they are professionals, however they dont do that in his concerts, he isnt U2, who play a different setlist almost every concert, Michaels consistently follow a pattern, one that has been outlined and planned in advance. He has B plan songs, ones that are kept in or removed, however have been heavily rehearsed beforehand. Like the DS Come Together and then that was removed and replaced with Blood on the dance floor in leg 2 of the HIStory tour.

You guys can think he will change his setlist for these concerts but why would he change what has been the habit of a lifetime?
No need to lecture me on past tours! I know them! But just because he didn't do it in the past, doesn't mean he can't do it now... he never played 50 shows in the same city either! And now he does... changing the habit of a lifetime! ;) If that O2 thing shows one thing, it's that anything is possible!

No need to lecture me on past tours! I know them! But just because he didn't do it in the past, doesn't mean he can't do it now... he never played 50 shows in the same city either! And now he does... changing the habit of a lifetime! ;) If that O2 thing shows one thing, it's that anything is possible!

Lecturing you? Im posting facts to support my opinion. Get that?

Its my opinion so why dont you try and respect that, I dont think it will happen, you do, get over it. :rolleyes:

Lecturing you? Im posting facts to support my opinion. Get that?
LOL yeah... but those facts don't mean anything! People were saying MJ wouldn't do concerts without a new album! Because he never did it before! People were saying he would never do that many shows in one town! Because he never did it before... and guess what, the past doesn't mean a thing.. he's doing it nevertheless!

Besides, on past tours they were travelling on off days, this time they are sitting in their hotel rooms during off days... so who knows if they don't rehearse new songs from time to time!? They would have plenty of time! Even on show days... everything is set up... they could rehearse new songs!

My opinion is... forget the past, anything is possible... and even Randy Philips said in one interview that Michael will change it up!

@ MichaelJacksonOne
Yeah, it would be awesome if he'd do "One day in your life"... I love that song and it was a UK #1, if I remember correctly!

people were saying? what does that mean, im referrencing every MJ tour from the last 30 years. I dont see him changing his ways, how do you know he isnt releasing an album over the next few months while the tour is ongoing? the fact is we dont know anything but Im basing my opinion on what has happened in the past. He has never changed his set list mid tour.

You mentioned the band, but did they ever perform new songs, nope! only time i ever saw it done was the In the closet instrumental at a Dangerous concert in France but Mike never sang.

Ive saw the interviews with Randy, yea he has promised a fantastic show with new innovative things but he never said Michael would change the set every night, honestly, he has never done this, what makes you SO sure he will do it now? There are just so many things to consider with adding new songs you arent even thinking about, its not just about the band, if that were the case, Michael would have done it in past tours all the time, especially in his prime in the 80s.

Last edited:
does anyone know who the warm up acts may be? or will there not be any you think?

Half the concerts in 2009 would be the same, the other half changed, then the songs that went down best from both setlists would be played in 2010.

That's how I see it going down :)

That sounds reasonable.

people were saying? what does that mean, im referrencing every MJ tour from the last 30 years. I dont see him changing his ways, how do you know he isnt releasing an album over the next few months while the tour is ongoing? the fact is we dont know anything but Im basing my opinion on what has happened in the past. He has never changed his set list mid tour.

You mentioned the band, but did they ever perform new songs, nope! only time i ever saw it done was the In the closet instrumental at a Dangerous concert in France but Mike never sang.

Ive saw the interviews with Randy, yea he has promised a fantastic show with new innovative things but he never said Michael would change the set every night, honestly, he has never done this, what makes you SO sure he will do it now? There are just so many things to consider with adding new songs you arent even thinking about, its not just about the band, if that were the case, Michael would have done it in past tours all the time, especially in his prime in the 80s.

Where did I say that I was sure?? I said, I hope that he will change it up! The way this "tour" is set up, 50 shows in the same city (which means, many people who will see the show multiple times), a show every second night without having to travel in between, everything set up, ready to rehearse, Michael saying that he will play the songs the fans want to hear and this being his last London shows and Randy Philips saying that he will change it up.... all of that leads me to think that on this "tour" chances that he will change things up are bigger than ever! I'm aware that he never did so in the past, but I'm also aware that the circumstances in the past were totally different... so the past doesn't really apply here, as we're walking on new ground!

Apart from "In the closet" on the Dangerous tour they also played "Morphine" at some rehearsal when they were on the road with the HIStory tour! And what do we know what they all played when they were in actual rehearsals? I'm just saying... there are some songs which could easily move into and out of the setlist, without that much rehearsal neccessary!

LOL I could say the same about you? Why are you so insistent that he won't change anything? When in fact we don't know anything! We both know that he never did before but could do so now.

Back