This is It Concerts- Live or Playback?

To purchase tickets to hear MJ sing an entire set live, even though most live performances he's done since 1995 have been playback, is a very foolish thing. If that's the reason why you've purchased tickets, chances are, as the past has shown, That you'll be disappointed...

You should be Thrilled (No pun intended!) just to be in attendance 'Micky' :yes:

Instead of placing unfair demands on MJ, Just be there and enjoy the show!

Dear Lord, I hope you're not being serious..

This is up there with one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from a fan on this board.

From Akon:

AKON - AKON: 'JACKSON WILL LIP SYNC LIVE'

AKON has disappointed scores of fans who have splashed out on tickets for MICHAEL JACKSON's comeback concerts by insisting the King of Pop won't be singing live.
The R&B star, who has previously collaborated with the Thriller hitmaker, admits Jackson won't be showing off his vocals during This Is It, his upcoming seven-month London residency, and will instead rely on a pre-recorded track.
He says, "Michael singing I'm not so sure about. He will perform but not sing."
But Akon maintains audiences at the British capital's O2 Arena will still be thrilled by the spectacular show Jackson is planning: "It's going to be amazing, I can definitely tell you that. I'm going to have front row tickets. I will have the best tickets in the house and will be so close to the stage you will think that I am on it."
Jackson is scheduled to kick off This Is It in July (09).

30/05/2009 14:01

Source: ContactMusic News

Not sure if this belogns in thhe Tabloid Section or not but since it is relevent to this topic I thought I would post it. I find this to be a very blunt admission about MJ's abilities from someone who has worked with and supported MJ so much in recent years.

Well thanks for your vote of confidence Akon.

I think there will be a mixture of live singing and dancing. It's trying to get the right balance. I find it really unfair though when people expect Michael to sing the entire show live and still him expect him to perform strenuous dance routines at exactly the same time aka Dangerous. I've seen people say 'oh the dancing for Dangerous is amazing but he should be singing the whole song live though becauses he shouldn't mime', which I find impossible. If Michael tried to sing whilst doing a routine like Dangerous and his voice wasn't so good because he is breathing heavy I know some would crucify him for it.

People want to see Michael sing but they also want to see him dance too but I think you have to understand that there has to be a trade off somewhere. You can't have both full-on dance routines and singing at exactly the same time. So I hope that when MJ does sing songs live but tones down the dancing for some of them to give himself energy to devote to his vocals that people don't shoot him down for it and vice versa.

As for the whole Akon comment I'm not really taking it on board that much since contactmusic isn't exactly reliable.

I think there will be a mixture of live singing and dancing. It's trying to get the right balance. I find it really unfair though when people expect Michael to sing the entire show live and still him expect him to perform strenuous dance routines at exactly the same time aka Dangerous.
Hmm... I don't think there are too many people that want him to do that... those that wish he would sing the whole show live are the ones who would be content if he would cut back on the dancing! I would be content with that too... the man is 50... as a dancer he shouldn't have to compete with his 25 year old self! I think though that the Dangerous Tour had a great balance.... better than the HIStory tour.... and there is just no excuse to mime the ballads.. if he can't/doesn't want to sing them, then he shouldn't perform them!

I hope VERY very much he will sing live.

HIStory was/is a little dissapointing.

WBSS and J5medley was the ONLY songs sung live.

2 songs out of 20 songs live ? - IMHO that's NOT impressive at all.

Hope there will be at least 50/50 live/playback.

But if 90 % were live I would be very happy.

I hope he will do it all live but I doubt it very much.

SO sad to see Billie Jean performed playback :(

Playback. It will be mainly a dance show, like the concerts of the HIStory tour. Bad was all live, Dangerous was partly live, HIStory was .... well I think most of you know.

we need an all live show! we've waited ever since the royal concert for an all live show

Take this how you will, but I haven't said anything to protect my friends, but with their blessings I'm gonna post this. I know some of the dancers on the tour. Michael IS singing a good amount of the show live. I can't go into any more details...I've never been one to make up bs on this board. Check my history if you'd like. Anyway, don't worry, the show will be AMAZING. Mike is also wearing a new hairstyle. Most of you will be very happy to see what it looks like now...you'll see soon enough. :)

^^new hairstyle???
woo, :D gonna be so cool!!
a good amount live.. well I don't EXPECT to see anything else.. I'm sure there will be some lip synching like, billie jean and beat it..thriller.. ++

Take this how you will, but I haven't said anything to protect my friends, but with their blessings I'm gonna post this. I know some of the dancers on the tour. Michael IS singing a good amount of the show live. I can't go into any more details...I've never been one to make up bs on this board. Check my history if you'd like. Anyway, don't worry, the show will be AMAZING. Mike is also wearing a new hairstyle. Most of you will be very happy to see what it looks like now...you'll see soon enough. :)

Thank you so much for posting this pianoman :). I guessed that Michael has got a new hairstyle, dare I say that the curls are back :D.

Again, I'm only going by what I'm being told, so please don't stone me if mj changes his style AGAIN before u see him..lol..but what i'm telling u guys is 1000 percent true.

Wow, thankyou so much for posting that! :D

Ahhhh!! :wild: maybe a version of the CURLS!???? :D

29by9f7.jpg

I personally think that michael should sing a good portion of the show live, somthing like dangerous tour with 50/50 live would be perfect, meaning the press wont have a field day yet still allowing him to perform complicated songs like dangerous and smooth criminal. I think that songs that are mimed should deffinatley be re-recorded not just for the fan's sake but also for michael's, to give him somthing different to work with. Also mimeing along to old vocal's such as DSTYGE on the HIStory tour was almost cringeworthy.

on a semi related subject, does anyone else think it would be cool if michael sang "i'll be there" while playing a piano like on the pepsi commercial?

I personally think that michael should sing a good portion of the show live, somthing like dangerous tour with 50/50 live would be perfect, meaning the press wont have a field day yet still allowing him to perform complicated songs like dangerous and smooth criminal. I think that songs that are mimed should deffinatley be re-recorded not just for the fan's sake but also for michael's, to give him somthing different to work with. Also mimeing along to old vocal's such as DSTYGE on the HIStory tour was almost cringeworthy.

on a semi related subject, does anyone else think it would be cool if michael sang "i'll be there" while playing a piano like on the pepsi commercial?

HELL YEAH !! :punk:

That would make me cry. It really would be beautiful.

Wow! After what Akon said that has made my day! Thank you for posting!

Wow great pic! Curls!

HELL YEAH !! :punk:

That would make me cry. It really would be beautiful.

I know, just imagine if he did J5 medley like in the history tour then after the love you save their was a walkway that goes out like at the MTV awards and a piano rises at the end of it and he walks down and plays/sings i'll be there, that would be so great

I know, just imagine if he did J5 medley like in the history tour then after the love you save their was a walkway that goes out like at the MTV awards and a piano rises at the end of it and he walks down and plays/sings i'll be there, that would be so great

That would be amaxing!!

That would really be great.

Back