Fulham Football club to get statue of MJ

The staue looks bad era to me and its ok i reckon. It was a nice thing of mr al fayed to do and i like his "go to hell" comment, reminds me when mj said that! hahah

although i really appreciated mr. Fayed tribute....but its kinda sad & pissed me off...seeing the comments on yahoo...arghhh. Its not going well w/ the lurkers/haters are on it :(

I would have preferred the HIStory Design, THAT would be less tacky and look damn cool!!

hahahahah, love Al Fayed's comment. woohoo! watchd a youtube vid of the unveiling and they interviewed a fulham fan walking past. He said " its odd but he's put a lot of money into the club and it doesnt really affect me so i dont care" or something like that.
amen to that. and i think the gesture is beautiful!

I think it's a really nice idea, however I think it's an unusual one, and because of this, they should have made damn sure that the statue was going to be cool-looking. I have to say that the picture I saw on Yahoo! looked really bad, but maybe it just wasn't from a good angle.

Just the pose, the face, nothing is dramatic, just looks awkward to me, but again I commend him for putting the statue up in the first place and I do think it's a really nice idea.

What is this fuckery? The statue is terrible, looks nothing like him.

Al Fayed is so ridiculously deluded, jfc. Why would FOOTBALL FANS love this statue? Get real.

Nice gesture but it'll be vandalized within a week, with "PEDO" sprayed on it, most likely. Ignorance is rife amongst football fans, I'm afraid.

I think the staue is lovely :) Its very detailed. I love the costume.
It a good likeness but not an exact likeness and it warmed my heart
to see Mr fayed so happy when he unveiled it:wub: He loved his friend
and like him I feel anyone who dont appreciate his gesture of love
can go to hell figurativley speaking of of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12955037

the statue is ok and the gesture is nice. I love how he told the haters where to go lol He was one of the true friends.

Nice gesture from Mr fayed, but to be truthful the statue looks nothing like Michael and it's placed in the wrong place, he should of had it recomissioned to be place in the heart of London, where tourists and fan can go to see it

The statue looks confused, like the artist didn't know which era to base it on, so choose em all, lol.
Its not that bad, but after seeing the one in Japan, i am a little disappointed.

Re: Michael Statue now up

good for Muhammed for telling those who don't like it to go to hell

A bit harsh if you ask me, people are entitled to not like it if they don't want to, and the statue is terrible.

The idea of the statue being there in the first place was a bad idea, and now that I see it........it's even worse.

He's performing, so therefore naturally.....his face should have an angry or serious expression.

I don't really like the statue- it's not a good likeness. I am disappointed it is not better looking. But I respect Mr Al Fayed's good intentions by unveiling it.

I don't really like the statue- it's not a good likeness. I am disappointed it is not better looking. But I respect Mr Al Fayed's good intentions by unveiling it.

Same here.
My respect to Mr Al Fayed, anyway.

I must say, i'm not liking this generalisation of football supporters being hooligans. About 80% of the country are football supporters.

I myself am a football supporter, I support Liverpool. I am also an MJ fan and the furthest thing from a hooligan you could find.

So please, stop with that talk......I believe ignorant is the word i'm looking for. You all should know that word well, you use it a lot but fail to apply it to yourselves in certain situations.

Most football supporters are cool but there's always the odd one or two who ruins it for everyone else. A couple of football supporters causes some trouble and then all of them are painted with the same brush. It's sad

I can't believe that the Daily Mail mentions Gary Glitter alongside Michael's name.:(

anyone here...what's the statue made of ??

.....i like the body but the structure of the face not really no. :(

...this is not going well.

According to the papers (! ie if they can be believed) it's plaster and resin and coated with 2 coats of weatherproofing. The base is 2 ton(ne)s? of granite.

I also read it was 7.5 feet high, but it looks a lot taller than that in the photos. How long 'til he acquires a football hat / traffic cone I wonder.

I still haven't found who is the artist / sculptor or where it was made though. Perhaps those visiting could ask on Thursday evening?

(Somehow I keep thinking it should twizzle round and play music , like the ballet dancer in an old -fashioned jewellery box.)

Last edited:
I think its a great gesture..

Mayby it wouldve been a better idea to place the statue at another location though...A nice park in London, somewhere near Harrods (wich MAF owns as well), some place like that....
He doesn't own Harrods anymore, he sold it last year.

MAF - Dont like Michael? Go to hell!

Mr Al Fayed unveiled the tribute to his late friend ahead of Fulham's Premier League match against Blackpool on Sunday. He had wanted to put the statue outside London's Harrods store, which he previously owned, but could not get permission.

So Mr Al Fayed decided to erect the memoria near the football club's ground in the city's near the football club's ground in the city's southwest - to much consternation from Fulham fans. But the chairman dismissed criticism of the statue as "stupid".

"Football fans love it. If some stupid fans don't understand and appreciate such a gift they can understand and appreciate such a gift they can go to hell," he said."I don't want them to be fans. If they don't understand and don't believe in things I believe in they can go to Chelsea, they can go believe in they can go to Chelsea, they can go to anywhere else"People will queue to come and visit it from al over the UK and it is something that I and everybody else should be proud of."

Mr Al Fayed invited Jackson to watch a Fulham match in 1999.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...yed_Says_Fans_Who_Dont_Like_It_Can_Go_To_Hell

*loool* I love him for this comment! :D

I don't think the statue looks good but I still think it's a nice gesture of Mr. Al Fayed. He is the chairman, so if he wants to put up a statue, he can do it. I also respect Mr. Ferdinand but I don't think any footballer deserves a statue. In my opinion they are overpaid and overrated athletes. No need do stroke their overly inflated egos. Perhaps the fans should worry more about the performance of the club than the statue ;)

Back