MJ's SOny BMG contract (new-album related)

roiklow

Proud Member
So, AS I KNOW, After vince, michael had to release two more albums with new material. This is where Number Ones (one more chance) and Ultimate Collection (all the unreleased songs) come. That's what i red and know is this true? So. Essential and Visionnary might be i guess SONY BMG releases to make money or smthg i don't know.

SO my guess is that T25 is the first album of a NEW contract with Sony BMG and MJ. And i don't know any musical contract between a producer and a singer wich includes only ONE album! So there will be one or two albums more with new unreleased material coming from Michael!

Am i wrong?

mjs 1991 contract ended with the release of number ones. the ultimate collection etc were one off agreements between mj and sony. thriller 25 is just the same

^^ Really? That's a shame, I'd like to have seen Michael fix things with Sony, and release his new album on their label. :( Oh well.

Even if they're one-offs don't think that Sony isn't recognizing the success of this project. Honestly, I think they'll sign another contract even if it's only for one album.

Its been my take that Michael is using THRILLER 25 to see how they are willing to promote an MJ album/project.. If they do well, he'll sign for another album, or full new contract..

This has been my personal belife

possibly. but thriller 25 in some form or another was always gonna happen and imo sony would always promote it poperly because its a win win for them. hardly no outgoings because the albums already created so they spend money promoting it because it would be pointless coming up with the project if you werent gonna bother pushing it. especially when mj will get the masters back very soon. its there last chance to milk the cow so to speak.

of course if they do a good job it may help make mj decide to resign with them but in the scheme of things i doubt thats what it is about

Really? That's a shame, I'd like to have seen Michael fix things with Sony, and release his new album on their label. :sad: Oh well.

that still may happen we dont know. most think if hes gonna go with anyone it will be back with sony. before we get any album we are gonna have to hear about new contracts being signed

Last edited:
Its been my take that Michael is using THRILLER 25 to see how they are willing to promote an MJ album/project.. If they do well, he'll sign for another album, or full new contract..

This has been my personal belife
I have felt and believe stated that I thought Michael would release something to prove his viability before signing any record or performance deals. When there was talk of the Katrina single I thought that was it and maybe it was supposed to be but of course we never got it. Now we have Thriller 25 instead. It's success and proof of Michael's ability to still draw sales will up the price of signing him on to any deal. I think we will see things start to happen pretty quickly now.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is all very well planned out and I think Michael has been very much in control.

Someone (forget who) described Michael's kids as scary smart... well I think Michael is scary smart and more power to him.;)

Last edited:
possibly. but thriller 25 in some form or another was always gonna happen and imo sony would always promote it poperly because its a win win for them. hardly no outgoings because the albums already created so they spend money promoting it because it would be pointless coming up with the project if you werent gonna bother pushing it. especially when mj will get the masters back very soon. its there last chance to milk the cow so to speak.

of course if they do a good job it may help make mj decide to resign with them but in the scheme of things i doubt thats what it is about

that still may happen we dont know. most think if hes gonna go with anyone it will be back with sony. before we get any album we are gonna have to hear about new contracts being signed

When will mike get the masters of his songs back?

Last edited:
within a year or so i think.maybe earlier i lose track. this is only for certain masters he already has bad upwards back

Last edited:
Anyways let's hope he DOES renew with S.BMG!!

Last edited:
Why did you post that video in THIS thread. It should probably be in the thread talking about Big Boys meeting with Michael. It would seem odd if Big Boy didn't know that Big Boy was Michael's (or J5's) first single. :huh: Interesting.

Also very cool clip. Amazing that he could sing so awesomely even when he was so young. Thank you.

Last edited:
it could be i lose track. i think some said it was so many years after the contract ended after ones was released

There is no doubt in my mind that this is all very well planned out and I think Michael has been very much in control.

Someone (forget who) described Michael's kids as scary smart... well I think Michael is scary smart and more power to him.;)

oh yeah.. Michael has " put his hands, elbows, feet and azz"... all over this project....and everything up coming....

i have made enquiries at ALOT of radio stations as to why they are playing certain songs and not others, and i have had quite a few email me back saying "sorry. we are doing what sony tells us. MJ is not with sony anymore. its not his call on what singles he releases, its sony's"

i dont believe he has a "contract".. i think there is some involvement from him on the project but i think its more like.. MJ being involved in a SONY project... not Sony releasing a MJ project.... Does that make sence?

i have made enquiries at ALOT of radio stations as to why they are playing certain songs and not others, and i have had quite a few email me back saying "sorry. we are doing what sony tells us. MJ is not with sony anymore. its not his call on what singles he releases, its sony's"

i dont believe he has a "contract".. i think there is some involvement from him on the project but i think its more like.. MJ being involved in a SONY project... not Sony releasing a MJ project.... Does that make sence?

I really don't think radio stations would know Mike's and Sony's business arrangement.. heck...I wouldn't be surprised if us diligent fans know more than those radio stations...

whatever it is, it's amazing how it works in his favor...who'da thought that rihanna's don't stop the music would be playing at this time. incredible timing...

whatever it is, it's amazing how it works in his favor...who'da thought that rihanna's don't stop the music would be playing at this time. incredible timing...

i rekon dont stop the music should include Feat. Michael Jackson in the title. As should Good Life by Kanye. Without MJ neither of those tracks would have any substance without their major MJ sampling.

I really don't think radio stations would know Mike's and Sony's business arrangement.. heck...I wouldn't be surprised if us diligent fans know more than those radio stations...

i didnt actually ask if they were together, thats the thing. they told me the reason they couldnt play certain songs was because sony made decisions not MJ (eg. canada was banned from playing TGIM even tho it was on Canadian itunes, because sony changed their mind and wanted WBSS as the canadian single, so they told Canadian radio to boycott TGIM and wait til WBSS was released on iTunes)

so yeah im not claiming i know the situation. anyone who says they know are lying. im just passing on what i was told, be it true or not.

Last edited:

That sounds very dark the way you are saying it. :ph34r: Anyway, how do we know that even if Michael isn't with Sony he doesn't have a say. Since Michael owns half of the Sony catalog I would expect he has say regardless. I had been thinking about his collaboration with other artists. Are Will.i.am, Fergie, Kenya and Akon Sony artists? If so, the collaboration pumps up profits for SONY and Michael by increasing interest in other Sony artists and potential sales as well. It seems quite win win all the way around. I can't imagine why Sony would try to sabatage it.

I have been worried however because I haven't heard him played on station Tom Joyner is on and I believe that is a Clear Channel Station like Big Boy is on. It is an R&B and old school station and I have turned it on every time I have been in my car in hopes of hearing some songs from Thriller 25 and so far nothing. Now maybe I am just missing them. They did play Black or White and one other MJ song the one morning last week but none of the new ones.

Has anyone heard any of the new songs on a clear channel station?

I am also upset that my BMG cd club no longer has any of Michael's albums. They owe me some free cds or I would quit the club.

Hmmm. I just checked and they did add Thriller 25 but since it is considered a special or something they won't let me apply my free points. More disconcerting is that they gave it a crappy review as well as a few digs at Michael. Basically they said Thriller was great but you don't need to by Thriller 25 because it isn't great. :8-25-03bomb:

I'm sure Michael is going to keep working with Sony. Despite the Invincible mess they do treat him well and promote his releases very well. The promotion for Number Ones was amazing. Posters and billboards everywhere. The promotion so far for Thriller 25 has been great. It's mostly been internet-advertising so far, but that's they way to go anyway these day. People buy all their CDs online now and nearly every online music store has advertisements for Thriller 25 on their front page. So I think Michael will be as impressed with the promotion as I am and negotiate a deal with them to release his next album. He probably wont sign any long-term contracts at this point. He'll probably just work with Sony on a one-album-at-a-time basis from now on.

I'm sure Michael is going to keep working with Sony. Despite the Invincible mess they do treat him well and promote his releases very well. The promotion for Number Ones was amazing. Posters and billboards everywhere. The promotion so far for Thriller 25 has been great. It's mostly been internet-advertising so far, but that's they way to go anyway these day. People buy all their CDs online now and nearly every online music store has advertisements for Thriller 25 on their front page. So I think Michael will be as impressed with the promotion as I am and negotiate a deal with them to release his next album. He probably wont sign any long-term contracts at this point. He'll probably just work with Sony on a one-album-at-a-time basis from now on.

Well, Sony did sabotage him with Invincible in hopes that they would be able to buy back the Beatles Catalogue and, from what we've been told, their strategy partially worked. There definitely has to be some animousity between the sides, especially from MJ's part. Whether or not he'll be able to put those aside for business and he believes he can trust Sony is probably the most important issue here.

But I don't think it was Sony so much as it as Motolla. He's gone so I think Sony have no hidden agendas with MJ and his ATV catalogue anymore.

mmm! I think Michael is the one running this, more so than SONY.. he did not have to announce himself 'working hard on it' it on telivision if Sony was driving it.. Michael is working on a brand new album.. Why would he side track himself for a SONY project?? Just does not really make sence.

I really think Michael WANTS it.. He could have easily just said, OK, and on with his own thing..

mmm! I think Michael is the one running this, more so than SONY.. he did not have to announce himself 'working hard on it' it on telivision if Sony was driving it.. Michael is working on a brand new album.. Why would he side track himself for a SONY project?? Just does not really make sence.

I really think Michael WANTS it.. He could have easily just said, OK, and on with his own thing..
Hummms... "you gotta want it...." lol

Last edited:
But I don't think it was Sony so much as it as Motolla. He's gone so I think Sony have no hidden agendas with MJ and his ATV catalogue anymore.
I don't think so.
After all, it's all about business.

Last edited:
Well mike thanked fans for helping Getting matolla fired. Also saying he used peoples carriers to destroy other peoples carriers..

Man listen the whole thing with Michael and Sony is one of the weirdest things I ever come across. I would think if Michael's truly out of Sony and he agreed to do this to boost more of MJ's music or to bring Sony back more profit - the label's actually not doing so hot, it's the third biggest company in the world behind Universal and EMI with Warner at the bottom of the totem pole. The merging with BMG Recordings is actually keeping them afloat but apart from that, Sony as a record company has ceased to exist since 2004. "Thriller 25" is leading people with many assumptions that either MJ will continue to release music with SONY or that Michael is actually allowing SONY to do this so he can get the money or that if it does well, it will help out when he get the full masters if he don't have 'em already.

Back