The NHL Discussion Thread

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
I thought that we should make some discussions about what's going around the NHL. Like do you agree with Barry Melrose about his bitterness, the Tampa Bay Lightning not winning anymore games and about their #1 pick from the Draft Steve Stamkos not physically ready for NHL and produce stardom at young age after being fired one month ago or do you agree the orginization?

Well, I mostly agree with Melrose, if Stamkos isn't ready for it, then he's not ready to be #1 rookie or NHL star quite yet, I know, because a decade ago Joe Thornton was #1 pick to the Boston Bruins from the Draft in 1997, he didn't produce much points as a rookie with only 3 goals and 7 points, which as I Boston fan knows he wasn't the best rookie and not even the best player yet. Year-by-year, Thornton keeps on improving and look at him now, he's one of the best players around today and may win the 1st Cup for San Jose Sharks. Maybe Steve Stamkos could do the same, produce less now and improve year-by-year.

Please join this thread

Yaay I'm huuuuge ice hockey fan but I don't have the opportunity to watch NHL games :( So I don't know much what's going on there.. I don't actually even have favourite team... I cheer for all who has Finnish players. .:D

I'm not a fan of Hockey at all but I am well aware of the story and I applaud him for his honesty. I'm so sick of the media always slurping up rookies so for him to say the kid simply isn't ready is great in my eyes. Besides I mean, its his opinion.

He wasn't given much of a chance to do anything at all with the team. Its disgusting that they released him in only 16 games. Now had he actually lost all of them then it would be a little more realistic to want him out. But even then, you still need to give a coach at least a complete season to try to build his team and turn things around. I always believe coaches in all sports should have 3 years but that's just me.

Its not like the Lightning were any good last year anyway. In fact, they were dead last in the Eastern Conference so what the hell did the front office expect him to do in one season let alone 16 games? This is one thing I really hate about all sports, is the logic in giving up on people way before they truely should.

He wasn't given much of a chance to do anything at all with the team. Its disgusting that they released him in only 16 games. Now had he actually lost all of them then it would be a little more realistic to want him out. But even then, you still need to give a coach at least a complete season to try to build his team and turn things around./QUOTE]

I could've agree with you more, Melrose hasn't been coaching in the NHL for long time since he last coached LA Kings since the 1992-93, he and Kings were so close to winning the Stanley Cup that year, but no Montreal won their 24th Cup. As mentioned his coach record the Lightning was better than Rick Tocchett's coaching record, Tocchett's record was just awful it's like the management made a huge mistake. Others disagreed with Melrose about the his comments about "they can never win another game...". As a fan for 14 years, they can agree to disagree. Like see what happened to Toronto in last few years, they haven't been in the playoffs since after the lock-out, they fire one of their finest coaches Pat Quinn and hire Paul Maurice, Maurice couldn't even cut the mustard and get the Leafs in the playoffs. It's like they made a mistake to that. I even knew when Steve Kasper coached for Bruins 1995-97, he was just the worst coach ever in the NHL, I remember I heard that he benched Kevin Stevens and my favouriteplayer of all time Cam Neely during thier game in Toronto as healthy scratch. I know all this very well. Trust me.

I love hockey...I aint the most knowledgeable fan in the wold as i'm still learning and its hard keeping up with it when you dont live in Canada/USA but i try.I love all the Canadian teams except Montreal lol..Gonna watch the Leafs game and the Sens game tonight .I wont get to bed til 6am....man time difference sucks!!!!!

Back