January 16 - 18, 2009 (Update on #34 for Jan 18, 2009)

Re: January 16 - 18, 2009

Faith Beyond His Father’s

V.Doug Paul was born in July 1981 in Richmond, Va...

In Doug's childhood home, a prayer was said over every meal. The family went to church so frequently that Doug imagined it was never closed. He didn't knowingly hear a secular pop song until he was in the ninth grade: he thought Michael Jackson was a Christian singer...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/180107

Artist-Fan Relationship In Focus

"Since Michael Jackson and Mariah Carey, there are no global stars," he claimed. "Look at the revenues Justin Timberlake or Beyonce make in Asia and you will be surprised as it's close to zero. Every country has its own version of those stars. My goal is to create a global star like Michael Jackson but to do that you have to speak their language. So all my artists speak at least two languages."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4edf08b57868094dab46e389938bde17

American Idol Ratings Rise For Kansas City

Asa Barnes sang Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" and despite stumbling over the words at the beginning and being a bit loud, he did a credible job. And his daughter is awfully cute.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-giltz/emamerican-idolem-ratings_b_158211.html

Last edited:

Wow. Many MJ related releases!

here is website:http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5339164&autostart=y-there is video inside sorry i can't get the link for the video sorry :( you can watch it inside of this link o.k :)

Giraffes to stay at Lake Powell, for now

this is the place PETA has spoken about

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2008/11/27/michael_jackson_urged_to_save_his_giraff

Here is an older article about the issue:

031008-animal-warehouse.jpg
031008-freddie-hancock.jpg

INSIDE EDITION's Kristina Guerrero talks to Freddie Hancock, the woman who bought two dozen of Jackson's animals and brought them to her warehouse in Arizona.

http://www.insideedition.com/storyprint.aspx?SpecialReportID=1408

Michael Jackson Mentionings for Jan 18, 2009:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090118/A_NEWS/901170314

Tragedies strengthen family's love

var currlink = escape('/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090118/A_NEWS/901170314'+'&template=artxml'); function goPtp(artNo, title, imageUrl, currpic, piccount) { var PictopiaPaperNS = 'stockrec'; var newWindow = true; if (imageUrl.match(/\&ArtNo=/i)) { var ref = imageUrl.replace(/.*\&ArtNo=/,''); ref = ref.replace(/\&.*/, ''); artNo += ref + '-' + currpic + '-' +piccount; } var loc = "http://pictopia.com/perl/ptp/" + PictopiaPaperNS + "?photo_name=" + artNo + "&title=" + title + "&embedded=y" + "&t_url=" + escape(imageUrl) if (newWindow) { //to open in a new window var win = window.open(loc, 'ptp'); win.focus(); } else { // to open in same window: location.href = loc; } }/* function refreshADS() { OAS_NORMAL('Middle'); OAS_NORMAL('x59'); } */ writeimg();
var isoPubDate = 'January 18, 2009'
By Roger Phillips
Record Staff Writer
January 18, 2009 6:00 AM

On a 100-degree day a summer or two ago, Elizabeth Pha accidentally locked herself out of the north Stockton home she shares with her parents. Her father, John, suggested she wait in the garage for someone to come home and let her in.
Time passed, and as Pha waited, the battery died on her cell phone. John Pha, working in Livermore, tried calling again. When he couldn't reach her, he grew frantic with worry.
Soon, there was a knock on the garage door.
"Open up, open up," the voice said. "We're the police, Stockton police."
The concerned father had called the police, who made sure his daughter was safe and all right.
It's easy to understand why her parents are so protective.
They long ago assimilated to the homeland they escaped to after a desperate flight 30 years ago from the murderous Khmer Rouge. Elizabeth Pha even sang her way to the second round of the Fox talent show "American Idol" in 2005.
But the memories the Pha family (pronounced "Pa") carried from Cambodia remain fresh and painful.
And they also carry the memories of the Cleveland School playground 20 years ago. Elizabeth was there Jan. 17, 1989, and saw a boy, 9-year-old Rathanar Or, killed in front of her.
Elizabeth was physically unharmed, but these are memories that affect the way the Pha family lives.
"I just feel like the world is not a safe place," said Elizabeth Pha, now 27. "Every time I walk out of the house, I put on this big, heavy armor of protection, because I may never know when a stray bullet may come and hit me. That's how I feel as an adult today. It's painful, you know?"
Pha's mother, Erica, added, "We have a bad memory from the past."
Essence of family

This is a family that watches out for one another. When Erica Pha was diagnosed with cancer in 2007, Elizabeth Pha moved home from Southern California to take care of her mother. So did her 29-year-old brother, Henry.
But the protectiveness of parents to children sometimes was overwhelming.
"I always check all my kids' school all the time when they attended high school or elementary school," said 53-year-old Erica Pha, who has been cured of her cancer.
Out of love and understanding, Elizabeth Pha repressed her rebelliousness during her years at Stagg High School.
"But inside, I was, like, 'Get me out of here. I'm struggling. I need my freedom,'" she said. "It was like fighting a war of independence."
References to war are not made idly in this family.
Elizabeth Pha was 1 when her parents escaped with her from Cambodia. They were detained several times by the Khmer Rouge during a 300-mile walk through the jungle that took five weeks. Erica Pha was sick with malaria, but somehow they reached a refugee camp in Thailand.
"I almost gave up the journey," said Erica Pha, who lost her mother and two brothers to the Khmer Rouge genocide along with perhaps 50 members of her extended family. "I was so tired. I did not have much energy to carry (Elizabeth) sometimes. My husband took her from me. I fell down all the time. We could not see well at nighttime. My husband just held my hand. 'Please, keep going, keep going, we will be fine.' ... We almost got killed so many times."
They made it to the United States in 1984, living at first in suburban Seattle.
They later left Seattle for Stockton, hearing about the large resettlement of Cambodians here.
Americanization continues

They had finally found a home, Elizabeth Pha said. Her father considered the United States utopia because of the opportunity it provides.
But that peace was shattered by the Cleveland shootings. Elizabeth Pha was playing tag with her friends when the horror began. She said she knew all the children who died that day, and she saw Rathanar fall right in front of her. She ran inside. A teacher told her to get under a desk.
"Jesus, Jesus, please help, please make the guns stop, please," she prayed. The shooting stopped.
Nightmares ruled her sleep in the weeks that followed. But she said the glimpse she got of Michael Jackson when he visited Stockton a few weeks after the shootings was "soothing."
A year passed. The Phas became citizens in 1990. They took American names. Chandara (it means "the moon and the stars") became Elizabeth. Erica bashfully declined to reveal her Cambodian name.
In 1991, the Phas continued their assimilation. They converted from Buddhism to Christianity. They attend St. John's Episcopal Church in Stockton.
Family members are driven to give expression to all they have endured.
Elizabeth and Henry are helping their parents with a manuscript that recounts the family's escape from Cambodia. They hope to get it published.
Elizabeth Pha's memories of Michael Jackson remain as powerful as ever 20 years later. Though she did not reach the finals of "American Idol," she continues to pursue a career in music. She writes her own songs and has self-recorded a CD of her music. She has yet to write a song about the Cleveland shootings, but thoughts of that day still weigh heavily.
"I just feel not a lot of people understand it," she said. "I almost feel like I'm alone in my suffering. I've been down for a while. Resilience is my only survival. I go up, but I can't see the light. I keep going back down. I'm trying to get past it."

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090118/A_NEWS/901170317/-1/A_NEWS

By Roger Phillips
Record Staff Writer
January 18, 2009 6:00 AM

The next morning, the school doors swung open to a much less innocent place.
The Stockton Police Department had released the crime scene the night before after concluding that drifter Patrick Purdy had acted alone before killing himself. Workers had spent the night making repairs.
Cleveland Elementary School Principal Pat Busher, trained in psychology, decided in conjunction with Stockton Unified Superintendent Mary Gonzales Mend that the school's teachers, staff and students needed to return immediately to begin healing together.
Late in the afternoon Jan. 17, 1989, Busher had visited the Park Village Apartments and appealed to members of the Cambodian community to bring their children back the next day.
Southeast Asian children were 70 percent of Cleveland's student body at the time. On Jan. 18, only 227 of Cleveland's 975 students returned.
"I remember clearly there were five students who came back to class that day," said fourth-grade teacher Vicki Garduno, who still teaches at Cleveland.
"There were more counselors than there were students," said Shannon Lopez, now 26, who was a first-grader at the time. She returned to school the day after her 6-year-old friend Ram Chun was killed.
Marianne Castillo, an instructional assistant at Cleveland who now works at Walton Special Center, still wonders about the wisdom of reopening so quickly.
"We just walked around in a daze that next day," she said. "There just weren't many children. ... I don't think they should have been here. I almost felt like we were told it didn't happen: 'Just come back to work.' I don't think it gave enough reverence to the children that were hurt, that were killed, and all that the staff went through."
But third-grade teacher Vickie Gake, still teaching at Cleveland, said the immediate return was therapeutic.
"Probably, because if I didn't (return), it would be scary," she said. "It was scary anyway."
The days and months after the shootings were a time of struggle and grief, a time of teachers and other school employees trying to carry on, a time for a community to pull together, a time of cultural differences magnified, a time of parents attempting the heartbreaking task of explaining the unexplainable to their children.
Cambodian community leader Sovanna Koeurt's son, Viseth, had lost his best friend, 9-year-old Rathanar Or, in the shootings.
"Mom, can I ask God to have Rathanar come alive again?" Viseth asked Koeurt. "Mom, is he coming back?''
Caseworkers from the San Joaquin County district attorney's victim/witness office provided assistance to survivors of the five dead children and to families of the 31 wounded.
Their involvement began the day of the shootings and in some cases continued for months. There was a language barrier with some Southeast Asian families, but the sorrow was transcendent.
"That gut-wrenching wailing," Chris Hurley of victim/witness said. "I'll never forget that."
Staff members with the county agency helped plan funerals and burials. They tried to protect Southeast Asian families from the intrusions of the worldwide media. They learned about the culture of these newcomers to Stockton.
One hundred counselors were brought in from various places - other school districts and private practices. Pacific Bell flew in three Vietnamese interpreters from its Orange County office. A team of counselors traveled to Stockton from Winnetka, Ill., where there had been a school shooting eight months earlier.
The Delta Blood Bank received donations from 260 people the day of the shootings and gave out 200 units of blood - twice the usual amount - to hospitals in San Joaquin and Stanislaus counties.
Monetary donations poured in. Among other things, the money would be used for college scholarships for Cleveland children. University of the Pacific established a scholarship program for Cambodians. Pacific students began tutoring Cambodian children.
An audience of 300 attended a one-hour service at Faith Lutheran Church, next to the school, the night after the shootings. Other schools held assemblies and class discussions. Busher arranged a Buddhist ceremony at Cleveland at the request of Cambodian parents to rid the playground of ghosts.
Flags flew at half-staff around Stockton.
Teddy bears were sent to Cleveland from Edmonton, Alberta. Origami cranes came from a U.S. school. Years later, Cleveland students would send origami cranes to Scotland after a school shooting there.
Six days after the tragedy, 3,800 people - including then-Gov. George Deukmejian - crowded inside the Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium for an hourlong Buddhist-Christian memorial service honoring the dead children.
Afterward, a mile-long funeral procession made its way to Stockton Rural Cemetery.
Three weeks after the shootings, pop star Michael Jackson came to Stockton.
He visited every Cleveland classroom, visited parents at nearby Central United Methodist Church and visited children who were still in the hospital.
One hundred days after the shootings, Cambodian Buddhists held religious services to free the souls of the dead so they could go to heaven.
Mental health workers remained for months, nearly one for each of Cleveland's 35 classrooms.
Some teachers considered leaving the school. Some remain there 20 years later.
"I asked to transfer," Garduno said. "Pat Busher asked me to stay for counseling. And I did. I stayed, worked through it. It was a place to be. It was like home. And we all bonded together."

http://www.centredaily.com/living/story/1067016.html

Against this backdrop, you watch Satrapi grow up. Like an American child, she questions authority. She likes Michael Jackson and rock music. She treasures a new pair of Nikes her parents bring her from Turkey.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=8934d578-dba7-4399-8314-74b4e3704e1a

Meetup.com is a network of do-it-yourself social groups whose slogan is "Use the Internet to get off the Internet!" The site's 4.7 million members in 3,600 cities gather for user-created events that revolve around a broad range of interests, including a Michael Jackson fan club in Ottawa, a Vancouver group for tall people, another for Montreal pug owners, and a Calgary witches group with 200 members.
The singles' social club Meet Market Adventures includes 120,000 members -- two-thirds of them Canadian -- in 13 cities, including Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton.

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Business/249908/

The former professional dancer - he trained in ballet and worked for Michael Jackson and at Chippendales - said he sold five franchises at $30,000 apiece and agreed to collect a weekly 8 percent royalty fee. He said he had 30 prospective franchisees, but wanted to limit growth for fear of overextending the brand

Michael Jackson HIStory for Jan 18, 2009:

1980 - Michael Jackson won the Favorite Male Artist, Soul/R&B, Favorite Album, Soul/R&B and Favorite Single, Soul/R&B categories at the seventh annual American Music Awards.

1996 - Lisa Marie Presley filed for divorce from Michael Jackson.

hi :waving: everybody is good afternoon on sunday like me who sleep in :giggle: :lol: :whobad:

i found this news got to :smile: :yes:

here is website:http://tomopop.com/post.phtml?pk=6536&un=Rio+McCarthy

here is pictures of thiller:
10693-550x-MJThrillerFigures1.jpg

10694-550x-MJThrillerFigures2.jpg

10695-550x-MJThrillerFigures3.jpg

10696-550x-MJThrillerFigures4.jpg

10697-550x-MJThrillerFigures5.jpg

10698-550x-MJThrillerFigures6.jpg

10699-550x-MJThrillerFigures7.jpg

10700-550x-MJThrillerFigures8.jpg

10701-550x-MJThrillerFigures9.jpg

10702-550x-MJThrillerFigures10.jpg

10703-550x-MJThrillerFigures11.jpg

10704-550x-MJThrillerFigures12.jpg

10705-550x-MJThrillerFigures13.jpg

10706-550x-MJThrillerFigures14.jpg

10707-550x-MJThrillerFigures15.jpg

10708-550x-MJThrillerFigures16.jpg

10709-550x-MJThrillerFigures17.jpg

10710-550x-MJThrillerFigures18.jpg

10711-550x-MJThrillerFigures19.jpg

10712-550x-MJThrillerFigures20.jpg

10713-550x-MJThrillerFigures21.jpg

10714-550x-MJThrillerFigures22.jpg

10715-550x-MJThrillerFigures23.jpg

10716-550x-MJThrillerFigures24.jpg

10717-550x-MJThrillerFigures25.jpg

10718-550x-MJThrillerFigures26.jpg

10719-550x-MJThrillerFigures27.jpg

10720-550x-MJThrillerFigures28.jpg

10721-550x-MJThrillerFigures29.jpg

10722-550x-MJThrillerFigures30.jpg

Tomopop Review: Michael Jackson Thriller PVC Figures

If you've seen my previous posts about the Michael Jackson Hot Toys figure, then I'm sure you've gathered I'm quite the fan of his. Well, I'm sure most of you can guess that of course I'm absolutely nuts about the newly released "Thriller" figures, but did these import figures by Plastic Arts and Neugramm hit an absolute home run, or were they just mediocre?

Hit the jump to find out!

All I can say is that I am even happier with these than I was with the Kotobukiya Iron Man statue and I didn't even know that was possible. Though anything is possible when you give a Michael Jackson fan something she's been longing for for a long time, and these "Thriller" figures definitely fill that void.

One of my favorite details of these figures are his shoes. The loafers are an absolute trademark of MJ's and they're damn comfy to boot! The detail looks straight out fantastic and I love that they got all of the details on the shoes perfect to what he wears.

The poses are completely awesome for their counterparts from the video, and it makes me completely giddy to see them standing next to their part in the short film. Above is the pose in the middle of the dance sequence in which Michael switches back from a zombie to a human again before breaking into the house.

This figure portrays Michael in the famous zombie walk from the short film, and if there's any part of the dance people know, it's definitely this one. This pose is extremely well done as well, and makes me want to walk all around the house like a zombie.

I'm a great fan of the facial expressions on both of the figures, and absolutely love the detail that was sculpted into the jackets. The zombie hands are greatly detailed as well, and resemble Michael's hands exceptionally.

These are by far my most coveted pieces in my collection, and if you're a Jackson fan like myself I couldn't recommend them more. "Thriller" was one of the videos I loved the most as a kid, and I've never grown out of that, and these are perfect for anyone wanting to get their zombie on.

:lol: Agnes

here is website:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_pesek&sid=aDXVDHBi565g

Obama Takes On Michael Jackson of World Leaders: William Pesek

Jan. 19 (Bloomberg) -- North Korea has been silent of late. Officials in Pyongyang in recent weeks have resisted their oft- expressed tirades against the U.S. To many observers, that suggests the world’s most reclusive nation is awaiting new leadership in Washington. Even better, it may mean the government of Kim Jong Il wants to start afresh.

When Barack Obama is sworn in as U.S. president on Jan. 20, he will inherit what is among his predecessor’s biggest foreign- policy failures. While George W. Bush did engage North Korea in the waning months of his administration, the gesture came too late and with little hope for success.

Facts are inconvenient and the fact is North Korea isn’t going to give up its nuclear-weapons program anytime soon. A statement this week by North Korea’s Foreign Ministry reiterated that point. Its gist was that North Korea won’t scrap its nukes until the U.S. normalizes relations with officials in Pyongyang.

Bush stubbornly demanded the opposite, putting the cart before the proverbial horse. It should be no surprise that North Korea went nuclear on Bush’s watch. Call it a side effect of singling out three countries as the “Axis of Evil” and invading one. The other two raced to build nukes to avoid the same fate.

As Obama comes to office, his administration should keep three things in mind. One, North Korea won’t easily give up its deterrence against an Iraq-like invasion. Two, the Kim family dynasty isn’t about to collapse as hoped. Three, economic conditions may play to the U.S.’s advantage.

Michael Jackson

This isn’t a pro-Kim column. Kim’s reign has been a devastating failure for North Korea’s 23 million people. And history shows Kim’s pledges can’t be taken at face value.

Kim is also pretty, well, out there. In March 2003, Time magazine columnist Joe Klein coined a phase for Kim that one increasingly hears bandied about in Asia: “The Michael Jackson of world leaders.”

Yet at what point does the U.S. realize its policy on the Korean peninsula is a complete dud? Ronald Reagan, while running for president in 1980, asked Americans if they felt better off than they did four years earlier. By that measure, Bush flopped badly on North Korea over eight years.

Obama has gotten considerable grief for signaling that he would meet the leader of North Korea “without preconditions.” While that’s not going to happen, the U.S. needs to put the horse back before the cart. Only through dialogue and closer ties can the U.S. expect to disarm North Korea.

Trust, but Verify

That very idea is anathema to conservatives in Washington. And yet their hero, Reagan, talked to Soviet officials. Over time, those discussions widened and led to summit meetings and disarmament negotiations. It was always an uneasy relationship, one summed up by Reagan’s famous comment: “Trust, but verify.”

North Korea isn’t the Soviet Union, yet its experience with the U.S. demonstrates the merit of speaking with your enemies. For all the hopes that Kim’s regime would crumble, the Dear Leader is still around, failing health and all. It’s in the U.S.’s best interest to stop banking on this scenario. After all, how well did it work with Fidel Castro in Cuba?

Economic matters may offer Obama and his nominee for secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, a key opening.

North Korean media reports detail a Cabinet shakeup aimed at stabilizing a floundering economy. International aid is sure to dwindle as financial turmoil squeezes budgets and shifts priorities. Falling commodity prices also haven’t helped exports of minerals such as iron ore.

Fresh Opportunity

It’s conceivable, if not likely, that Kim’s government will see Obama as a fresh opportunity to increase U.S. aid and economic ties. The U.S. is, after all, all carrots at the moment.

Bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan, the U.S. has few sticks to complement its money. Carrots may be more important with North Korea in 2009 as the global crisis worsens.

Of course, doing that will take serious courage on Obama’s part. The outcry in Washington would be rapid and harsh. And it’s certainly possible that speaking regularly with North Korea will achieve very little.

Still, who takes the “six-party talks” seriously anymore?

The U.S., for example, is focused on forcing North Korea to disarm; Japan is preoccupied with the Japanese nationals abducted in the 1970s and 1980s; and China is obsessed with keeping a fragile economy on its border from collapsing. Good luck making any headway within that framework. It’s time for a new approach.

Imagine for a second what could be if North Korea were reined in. South Korea’s credit rating would take less of a hit from geopolitical concerns. Officials in Seoul and Tokyo would spend less time and money drawing up plans in case turmoil in North Korea led to military confrontation. North Asian nations could get along better.

North Korea appears to realize this is a unique and pivotal moment for its future. Let’s hope Obama does, too.

(William Pesek is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this column: William Pesek in Tokyo at wpesek@bloomberg.net

Wow.

Thanks for all the pictures of that figure. So nice! :lol:

Love the thiller toys....they r awesome
..I WANT ONE!!! lol

Thanks for the news. :)
Woooah, look at those Thriller dolls!

Back