Majority owners of Neverland are going to sell it!

elmari

Proud Member
I found this off of Larry King's blog:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...graceland-no-chance-/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsC1

What do you guys think???? I was hoping that Neverland can be somehow kept with the Jacksons and they can make it their home and keep it in the family for generations. Maybe they can borrow the money from Donald Trump???

The Next Graceland? No Chance.
by Gerald Posner
July 4, 2009 | 10:20am

A top executive overseeing Neverland Ranch tells The Daily Beast’s Gerald Posner it will not become a public Michael Jackson museum, and that the real-estate firm has received private bids from several billionaires, and has already turned down a $100 million private offer.

Neverland as the new Graceland? Although many Michael Jackson fans might love the concept, The Daily Beast has learned that it definitely is not going to happen. I spoke to a senior executive at Colony Capital, who is intimately involved in overseeing Neverland, but was not authorized to speak on the record. He revealed—for the first time—that since Jackson’s death the company has received several private bids for the 2,600-acre ranch property. The top offer so far? An even $100 million. “All of the offers are from individual billionaires,” the Colony executive told me. “Neverland is not going to be sold to a corporation and become a company retreat.”

Colony became Neverland’s owner in 2008 when it purchased the $24.5 million in debt on the property from the Fortress Investment Group, which was threatening to foreclose. Colony’s owner, Tom Barrack, a California billionaire who made his fortune buying up bad real-estate loans from troubled S&Ls in the 1980s, was personally asked by Jackson to save his home.

“If we just want to sell it—which is what we are going to do—[Jackson’s heirs] have no say, no rights.”

“We own the ranch,” the Colony executive explained, “subject to a profit participation for Michael. Our agreement was that we would get the first dollars that came out of any development, plus a nice return. Everything above that would get split, with the percentage moving in Michael’s favor as more money came in.”

When Jackson was alive, Colony had discussed the possibility of subdividing the property and selling off individual home sites, an idea the pop star strongly disliked.

Now with Michael gone, the Jackson estate inherits his rights under the Colony contract. “If we decided to change the look and feel of the place, they would have a say,” says the Colony exec. “So if we wanted to turn it into a museum and tribute to Michael, they would have to say yes. But if we just want to sell it—which is what we are going to do—they have no say, no rights.”

Colony briefly did consider the possibility of a Neverland-to-Graceland transformation. “It crossed everyone’s mind right away.” But architects and attorneys who did a fast study told them it was impossible due to the narrow two-lane access to the property, coupled with wealthy individual neighbors who would almost certainly oppose any commercial enterprise in their residential area. “Physically and logistically, we just couldn’t do it.” The Colony officer believes those hurdles would also bar any future owner from converting the ranch into a commercial shrine.

Is $100 million the right price? “We are in no rush,” says the Colony executive. “This is an appreciating asset. And there are people who have the money, and some of them will want to own the place that had belonged to Michael Jackson. I work for a billionaire who owns a similarly grand ranch. So I know that while there aren’t a lot of people who can afford this, the ones who can are finding us.”

well, if true, that really really sucks. jermaine wanted it to happen and I think most of the Jacksons would have wanted the same

Wow, there's no heart from this Colony guy in this entire article/interview at all.
Nothing about the memory of MJ, what Neverland meant, anything. It's just about the money...

This better not be true screw the rich people around there that place better become a graceland! Two lane street is good enough for me you would be crazy to not turn it into a graceland think of the profits these guys would make!

Not sure I totally believe this. I doubt seriously that Colony would say anything like this before the services. This is Tina Brown's site, someone who used to work with Maureen Orth's Vanity Fair.

I don't think Michael cared about Neverland anymore the last years of his life. So we shouldn't stress over that property too much.

Michael moved from Neverland for a reason, and that's because it became host to too many bad memories for him.

This better not be true screw the rich people around there that place better become a graceland! Two lane street is good enough for me you would be crazy to not turn it into a graceland think of the profits these guys would make!
If the area has deed restrictions, the neighbors have a say in what can be done. The neighbors in Havenhurst used to complain about the animal odors.

Not sure I totally believe this. I doubt seriously that Colony would say anything like this before the services. This is Tina Brown's site, someone who used to work with Maureen Orth's Vanity Fair.

Enough said!

Colony is working on this thing behind the scenes. They know that it will take a few months before they can get the approval to have Michael's body buried there. They are also experienced real estate developers...meaning they know what it takes to get a major road built to Neverland. They know all about permits and all that stuff. I don't think that this feat is that difficult to achieve. And Maureen was on tv the other day talking trash on Michael, even after his death. She showed no respect. This woman truly has something personal against Michael. So quite naturally, she would not want to see a Neverland museum because that would overshadow her ranting about him in her writings.

I really hope he can be laid to rest at Neverland. I think he deserves his own Graceland.

I think he should be buried there too.. I believe it was very special to him
Despite that rotten trial I really believe his heart will always be there

Shut 'em down! Shut 'em down!
Neverland ain't going nowhere!!
End of story. PERIOD.

This better be a false story because if it's true, we ain't havin' dat!
John Lucas

He daid that He didn't want to go back there,but he never really wanted to sell it.He wanted to keep it.I hope Neverland stays in the family.

Well, I was just watching Anderson Cooper 360 and they were talking about the estate and the assets. I think Weitzman, who is an attorney to John Branca and John McClaine said that Michael's assets could be estimated at $1 billion. Michael just didn't have any liquid assets, so he had to borrow cash.

If this is true and the family is bent on keeping Neverland, then I am sure Branca and McClaine can work out a deal with Colony.

I want to know what they would do with the place?
Turn it into wine country like everything else around it?
Turn it into a quiet neighborhood?

Fans will be coming there for years to leave things at the gates. We always have.
Where did we go when it was Michael's birthday, but he lived over seas? Neverland!
Where did we go for Christmas when he was on tour? Neverland!
Where did we go when Michael passed away, to grief with fellow fans? Neverland!

It would be so unfortunate if Neverland wasn't turned into a memorial. It's really a piece of American culture. Neverland itself is iconic, and more importantly Michael wrote so many of his songs there. He got inspiration from Neverland, practice dancing, rehearsed for his short films, and so much more. No other place could carry so much significance. It would be depriving Americans as well as MJ fans of a significant connection to Michael and entertainment history.

I don't even want to imagine what someone else might turn it into if it's sold. I don't know what's worse, seeing them try to cash in on MJ's association with the place, or have someone come in and tear it all down. It seems awful either way, I hope hope hope the family can keep it at the very least.

I don't buy this article.

Look, if Neverland were to be turned into Michael's Graceland complete with his burial site, it would draw millions of millions of dollars each year. It would become one of the most visited places on the planet. Anybody who would be interested in owning it, including Colony, know this. In the end, it is all about the money. And I don't buy this article saying that Colony fully owns Neverland. That is simply not true. I don't believe that Michael doesn't still have a substantial claim on Neverland.

I would love to see the place be turned into a Graceland type deal, but whatever if it isn't it isn't.

All Colony owns is a peice of land, they will never own the true Neverland. The true Neverland is in Michael's heart, its in the magic he created and thats where it will forever remain despite what happens to the land.

Neverland has a great sentimental value for Michael and he lived there for a long time, it should be kept with the Jackson Family for the kids, I hope this is just a rumor and it will not be sold. However there will be a lot of money spent to maintain the ranch, I hope that this won’t be an issue with Michael’s income from the music industry, his new albums, current sales, etc…

The issue with Neverland is that they cant sell it..it will be impossible..everyone knows that ranch as Neverland and whoever would buy it they would have extreme difficulty overcoming the legacy of the place that exists worldwide..this is a catch22..the ranch and the property is very valuable but you it is impossible to sell it.

Colony owns the place yes, but MJ also had stake in Colony - they had a joint venture last year - so whatever happens to the ranch has to go past by the keepers of this estate ...the 2 lawyers..

I am confident next year there will be a Neverland for fans to go to..

If this doesnt happen then so be it. It would have been nice to turn it into a museum. You think it would be profitable. But obviously they have other interests.

I hope Michael's family are able to obtain full control over Neverland somehow. I know Michael felt it was destroyed and no longer a home to him, but believe he still loved it and remained a part of him. Instead of a museum or any other business enterprise, it'd be nice to see it returned to its former glory, complete with the rides and everything so that once again it could host poor and sick children. This would serve as a fitting continuation of Michael's humanitarianism. Just a thought.

Back