Only MJ Could Sing "Will You Be There"!

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
I finally came to the realization yesterday that only MJ could have done this song justice! Don't get me wrong, I thought Patti Labelle and Jennifer Hudson both did a wonderful job with it, but listening to MJ's version, it's clear that his version is so vastly superior. No one could put that same emotion into it. Only MJ could sing that song. I just loved it when MJ added gospel influence into his music. Michael was so gifted, no one could ever sing his songs as well as he did.

I gotta be honest, I didn't like Jennifer Hudson's version... at all. As soon as she started she was just screaming and screaming, and a lot of it was off key! The beauty of MJ's is that he starts off almost simply talking out the notes, and ends the song pleading at the top of his lungs. And between those points, the change is very, very gradual. MJ's the only one who can scream at you in a ballad and have it sound amazing, lol. One of the reasons I can't listen to Beyonce anymore is the same reason. They have voices but don't know how to control it, it comes off as annoying when they scream all the time.

Man, I miss the guy. There'll never be another!

I agree 100% When listening to it at the memorial, it didn't touch mé at All - but as soon as Michael's talking part began I was crying like a waterfall!

I gotta be honest, I didn't like Jennifer Hudson's version... at all.
The beauty of MJ's is that he starts off almost simply talking out the notes, and ends the song pleading at the top of his lungs. And between those points, the change is very, very gradual.
Man, I miss the guy. There'll never be another!

Totally agree - What I was gonna say.

And man I thought I was about to die when they played Michael's sermon in the end on her performance... it was almost like a message from the other side.

I finally came to the realization yesterday that only MJ could have done this song justice! Don't get me wrong, I thought Patti Labelle and Jennifer Hudson both did a wonderful job with it, but listening to MJ's version, it's clear that his version is so vastly superior. No one could put that same emotion into it. Only MJ could sing that song. I just loved it when MJ added gospel influence into his music. Michael was so gifted, no one could ever sing his songs as well as he did.

Agreed. Plus w/ the poem @ the end.

I actually didn't like Patti's voice for this song. Daryl Coley has a soprano voice not unlike MJ's (though certainly not the same.. but he can get way up there without using falsetto). Patti can be overbearing at times. I love her to death, but she just didn't do it for me on WYBT.

I didn't like Jennifer Hudson's version at all either. I mean, I'm not criticizing things that much because it was done in tribute, but she seemed horribly out of pitch or something. It just didn't work.

Darryl Cole too. Always love to watch Michael smiling while watching him sing at the NAACP awards. I leave Jennifer Hudson's version out, tho.

Cinnamon, I know what you're saying. Many other singers can put their own twist on the song and sing their ass off, but they can never do the song justice emotionally. It's becuz Michael himself wrote the song and the emotion put into it is his own, you know, raw emotions. I think the same goes with many other songs performed by singer-songwriers.

MJ is really the only person who could do that song justice. Patti and Jennifer seemed to over do it a bit.

I know. My thoughts exactly. Jennifer Hudson messed up the song. Thank God they left the poem at the end for Michael!

I agree, Michael is the ONLY one that could sing that song. Absolutely beautiful, there will never be another Michael.

I agree 100% When listening to it at the memorial, it didn't touch mé at All - but as soon as Michael's talking part began I was crying like a waterfall!

thats exactly how i felt! from the first word she sang, i thought "HEY! This isn't right?!
It's suppose to start of slower than this."

Michael is the best, when it comes to Music you see! :D

I agree 100%, I think that 'Will You Be There' is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, it's one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs..nobody can sing it like he can. I don't think that Jennifer Hudson sounded bad though but it's nowhere near Michael's version

No one can sing Michael's songs, the best thing to do is just do instrumentals of them like John Mayer did. I like he's rendition of Human Nature.

^ I agree. I really love this song..it's such a sentimental yet powerful song. I love it to bits and with Michael's beautiful voice..it will be a standard/leve that nobody can ever reach. In fact, this goes for all Michael's songs.

I remember when Jennifer hudson was singin this song on the memorial..i was cryin so hard..this song somehow hits me, badly..and when Michael's speakin voice came in at the endin..my heart was hurtin like never before..i cant breathe right at that moment..Michael's angelic voice..the voice that i have been tryin to avoid since i heard about the news..I miss Michael soo much..

Same here!
With that incredible background...
it felt like he was talking to us from heaven, you could hear him breath, almost like he was whispering it in your ear....
It felt like he was comforting us all, so calm.... damn, I didn't listen to the song since

I agree though no one can sing it like Michael but Jennifer did a good job for a tribute.

Maybe a bit off topic but did anyone notice that during the talking bit notice that he said though my anguish and my pains, instead of though my anguish and my pain.

I love "Will you be there"

Especially this part:

"But they told me
A man should be faithful
And walk when not able
And fight till the end
But Im only human

Everyones taking control of me
Seems that the worlds
Got a role for me
Im so confused
Will you show to me
Youll be there for me
And care enough to bear me"

Plus the poem at the end.

Kind of prophetic. :(

I agree though no one can sing it like Michael but Jennifer did a good job for a tribute.

Maybe a bit off topic but did anyone notice that during the talking bit notice that he said though my anguish and my pains, instead of though my anguish and my pain.

Thread on this now here http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2038346#post2038346

I think I noticed as its one of my 2 favourites(Man in the Mirror being the other one)

Plus I like Jennifer but also didn't like her singing this, nothing against her though as she has had such a tough time the last few years too bless her. I just found her voice wasn't soft enough when it needed to be, like she shouted some bits. She was probably full of emotion too and like Mariah mentioned on her Twitter hard to focus with Michael's casket right in front of you.

For me, this applies to almost every one of his songs. During the memorial when celebrities were performing his songs, I just kept waiting for his voice to come though.. it felt like it should be Michael up on that stage singing. :( Maybe it was especially appareent on WYBT, because it's such a personal song that really reflects Michael's spirit.. I agree that John Mayer's tribute in that sense was the best.

I dont dislike JHud no disrespect to her, but that's a song I really can't bear to hear anyone but MJ sing. Man in the Mirror and Lady in My Life are the others. Her voice was way too heavy for that song. Her voice is beautiful and fine in any other capacity, but not in that one. I think that anyone who sang that song at the memorial would have gotten flack from us because no matter who sang it, it wasn't Michael. :(

doesnt mean to insult, but Jennifer hudson sing it too fast and its like she was angry,nervous and...i dunno its kinda strange. i goes 0_O!! when she sang...

she totally ruin the emotion in the song. the good thing is when it comes to the speeches,Michael does. imagine if its her again...OMG!

No one can sing Michael's songs, the best thing to do is just do instrumentals of them like John Mayer did. I like he's rendition of Human Nature.

yeah...once you hear someone else sing to Michael's song....you will just laugh and leave. remember the AI tribute?omg! once i saw that i giggled and turn it off...same like what David Cook did on Billie Jean...it was ridiculous

No one can sing Michaels songs the way that Michael did.

There are some nice acoustic versions of some of his slower tracks to be found on Youtube though.

didn't like Jennifer Hudson's version but damn was she powerful--the voice.

I agree Non can sign like Michael.
I've come across alot of covers in YouTube there are some decent covers but not as good as the original.

I don't know if I can explain it but when Jennifer was singing she sounded really hurt (emotionally) and that's why it came across really powerful.

It seemed like she was sad for Michael and wanted to get the point across by singing with such passion. I understood where she was coming from. Along with the rest of the world she was probrably angered that Michael was treated so badly and we lost someone very special too soon.

I really like Jennifer Hudson and along with what the poor lady has had to deal with she seemed hurt and angry for Michael and what he went through. Like the rest of us are feeling.

Back