Movie Reviews *NO SPOILERS* [ALL REVIEWS HERE]

Memefan

Proud Member
"This is it" reviews

Can we keep all professional reviews of the movie in this thread?

latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-etw-jackson17-2009oct17,0,508329.story
latimes.com

'This Is It' footage shows Michael Jackson's take-charge style

In an exclusive viewing of the some of the upcoming movie of the singer's last rehearsals, Jackson appeared in good health and full of energy.

By Chris Lee

In the footage, Michael Jackson comes across as many things: an arresting performer who still possesses a vast arsenal of streetwise dance moves at age 50. A snappy dresser fond of Froot Loop-hued clothing. A take-charge field general who authoritatively issues orders to his collaborators from the stage. A creative force who was personally invested in the smallest details of his concerts.

But not a dying man.

On Oct. 28, for a limited two-week engagement, Sony Films will release "Michael Jackson's This Is It" -- a feature-length documentary comprised of video footage from rehearsals for what would have been Jackson's return to performing. After a 12-year touring absence, Jackson was set to embark on "This Is It," a series of 50 sold-out concerts at London's O2 Arena. Exclusive footage that Sony Films screened for The Times provides a revealing glimpse of Jackson's take-charge side that few outside the singer's inner circle have seen until now.

"He was the conductor. He was the man," said the movie's director Kenny Ortega, who worked closely with Jackson as director of "This Is It." "He didn't just work through a show, he worked each audience differently. And the band, the dancers, the tech people, the lighting people had to be paying attention to that. He made sure everyone was in touch with that."

For more on Chris Lee's exclusive first look at footage from "Michael Jackson's This Is It," check back Sunday at latimes.com/thisisit Although the singer died on June 25 of acute intoxication by the powerful anesthetic propofol, the footage gives no indication that Jackson was in anything less than good health. And according to his director, choreographer and backup dancers, he was focused, emotionally prepared and fit.

"He was a true dancer," said Daniel Celebre, a "This Is It" backup dancer. "Always moving. He could not stay still."

Fellow dancer Timor Steffens added: "You'd get nervous standing next to Michael. That energy coming from him was so powerful."

In one clip, edited together from four separate performances of his 1983 hit single "Human Nature," Jackson appears sinewy -- thin, to be sure, but not painfully so -- as he effortlessly executes a number of pop-locking-inspired dance moves. Unaccompanied by "This Is It's" retinue of 11 dancers, his singing and dancing (as opposed to the elaborate staging, illusions and aerial dancing being developed for "This Is It") are in the spotlight. And those loyal to the King of Pop will not likely be disappointed: Jackson's ethereal falsetto sounds strong and clear, his movements vigorous and precise.

A second sequence is plotted around a high-tech tableau that was to have been the concerts' visual cornerstone: a 90-foot electronic scrim that Ortega refers to as "the world's largest high-definition 3-D video screen." A metal scaffolding designed to resemble the steel girders of a skyscraper in the process of being built looms in front of the digital projection of a New York cityscape; dancers, dressed as construction workers, lounge on its beams snapping their fingers. The sequence, conjured up by Jackson, is an homage to Lewis Hine, a turn-of-the-century photographer whom the pop icon admired.

Jackson arrives onstage to sing his 1987 single "The Way You Make Me Feel" wearing one of his trademark fedoras and a seersucker blazer. But he interrupts the segment's Broadway musical-like staging to give instructions to the dancers.

"I gotta cue that so you gotta watch me for that growl," Jackson says, with uncharacteristic forcefulness.

The choreography later in the scene is straight out of the song's original music video, which features the singer walking along a city street at night singing to and trying to cajole a young woman to take his romantic overtures seriously.

At the end of the sequence, Jackson can hardly contain his enthusiasm.

"I feel totally, totally nourished!" he exclaims.

chris.lee@latimes.com
Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times

Re: "This is it" reviews

how about a thread for just the fans to do their own reviews and upload them onto utube ?

This is definitely it - the Michael Jackson way

Michael Jackson is incredible, and few will disagree with that. Yet, even holding to that belief myself, I was blown away (even moved to tears at times) by the intimate and explosive portrayal of the man in action. “This Is It” is not about Jackson's death, nor is it necessarily a documentary about his life, with people looking back and remembering (goodness we've seen enough of that). At Jackson's own request, the film is a personal look at what goes into making his performances fantastic, memorable and sufficient to grant him the title ‘King of Pop.' Originally intended for Jackson's personal archives, the world now gets to see the work behind the music (as well as lots and lots of music). And remarkably, what this inside look accomplishes is a dispelling of common beliefs of a weird and creepy former star. Jackson comes out for love, peace and saving the planet, and none of it feels fake. He used his music to promote these qualities in others, and his music was phenomenal enough that people remembered.
And about that phenomenal music, mixed in with interviews and effects and backstage of the concert are performances of the entire concert lineup. These performances are full dress rehearsals, complete with fantastic dancing, lighting, effects and classic Michael Jackson improvisation. Many of the numbers are interrupted by Jackson so he can fix something that wasn't quite right and, while jarring, it only makes it that much more exciting when he signals the music to begin again.
As is typical at a big name concert when the music starts up for a well-known and loved song, I found myself itching to get up and scream when the familiar tones of “Thriller” or “Smooth Criminal” filled the theater.
Though at times Jackson tones down his singing to save his voice (these are only rehearsals, after all), just watching the man and his constant dancing and moving and tweaking of the music is more than enough to carry the show, which makes instances of full-throated glory nothing short of incredible.
This is a movie where you leave feeling that life is a little better for having seen it. The music and message will leave an indelible impact, and you might turn around at the door to watch it again.
While it is difficult to classify documentary type films in with typical Hollywood, I still have to call “This Is It” the best movie this year. It is a lasting portrayal of a man whose music will always be loved. This film is not a one-time see, but one that will resonate over and over again.
I give “This Is It” a SCORCHING (5 of 5) rating, and it is required to see this in theaters to get the full, concert experience. And don't forget to stay to the end of the credits. You get three more songs and some extra footage.

RATING: SCORCHING (5 of 5)

TONY POTTER

Nothing wrong with 'This Is It' - surprisingly

Just to clarify - I am not, nor have I ever been, a Michael Jackson fan.
So when I walked into the theater to see Michael Jackson's "This Is It" documentary, I was expecting, even hoping not to enjoy it and give it a poor rating.
I figured that after the seemingly endless media coverage following his death and the never ending TV Guide documentaries on his life, I really didn't think I could take yet another "Life and Times of Michael Jackson."
But much to my dismay, I found next to nothing to criticize in this film. To put it frankly "This Is It" is awesome - it is (and I can't believe I'm going to say this) most likely one of the best films of this year.
What made this movie spectacular is that it was not about his life or his death. It was about his music and specifically about the preparations that went into what would have been his upcoming concerts in London.
And from all the footage that is shown in the documentary those concerts would have been his greatest curtain call ever.
Whether you like him or hate him the fact is that Michael Jackson was a phenomenal artist vocally, visually and of course on the dance floor. And it shows in almost every scene.
Thankfully the documentary is devoid of narrative and driven purely by the music. Jackson, his dancers, band and production crew go through every song that would have been played at the concerts and show the visuals and special effects that were to accompany them.
Spliced into Michael's practice sequences the songs really come to life, I can't imagine how good they would have looked complete and in person.
Of course there is the occasional boring sequence in the film, but overall "This Is It" is simply stunning. The film offers a unique look into a concert that millions were hoping to see - that will never happen.
It also provides an interesting look at Michael Jackson and the special way he worked with his music. It was nice watching something about the man that didn't seem tainted by weird or bizarre behavior.
Despite his personal faults this film is an excellent and very fitting tribute to the music of the so-called "King of Pop." For that reason this film gets a FLAMING HOT (5 of 5) rating.
Go see this movie - I promise you'll enjoy it.

SKIN NOTICE: This movie is devoid of violence, sex, language or even sensuality. However some of the dancers practice their dancing "behind the scenes" with less clothing on then some individuals may be comfortable with. There are two scenes in particular where female dancers are briefly shown with basically bikini like costumes.

RATING: FLAMING HOT (5 of 5)

NATE SUNDERLAND

http://www.rexburgstandardjournal.com/articles/2009/10/27/movies/65.txthttp://www.rexburgstandardjournal.com/articles/2009/10/27/movies/65.txt

Last edited:
Re: Movie Reviews *NO SPOILERS*

I cannot wait to see it! I love you, Michael! x

I cannot wait to see it! I love you, Michael! x

yes I cannot wait...I dont even go to the movies much anymore but I would not miss this for the world

one thing I will say is that I do think it will be sad just to think how much better it would have been to see Mike performing while feeding off the energy of the crowd but beggars cant be choosy....and just to get a sense of what Mike had in store 4 us will be good enough

Keep em coming like this and we got a winner!!

this movie is gonna be epic. cant wait til i see it in on friday!

Ok guys..I am going to the movies now. Luv u MJ.

Can we please have a review thread without chatter? It's going to be annoying having to go through pages and pages of the thread to find the reviews amongst the gossip

yes I cannot wait...I dont even go to the movies much anymore but I would not miss this for the world

one thing I will say is that I do think it will be sad just to think how much better it would have been to see Mike performing while feeding off the energy of the crowd but beggars cant be choosy....and just to get a sense of what Mike had in store 4 us will be good enough

I know..it will be so sad. At the minute my excitement is overriding my anxiety/sadness but just a while ago I was more upset than excited. You're right, we have to appreciate our glimpse at what Michael had in store for us.. =[

Ok guys..I am going to the movies now. Luv u MJ.

ENJOY your time with Michael!!! xxxx

Twitter reviews of celebrities who attended the London premiere:

Mark Feehily (of the band Westlife) www.twitter.com/MarkusFeehily:
'this is it' was truly beautiful & Im not just saying that.Didn't know what to expect but he still had "it" Hope critics reflect that!
14 minutes ago from Echofon

JLS (band) www.twitter.com/JLSOffical:
What an unbelievable experience..film was amazing!!So good to see Michael's personality shine through..loved it!!So inspired for Sunday! M X
28 minutes ago from Echofon

Michael Jackson... This is it!! Amazing!! What a legend... What a star!! I love you michael we ALL love you! You will always live on! Blue x
43 minutes ago from Echofon

:heart:

I just got home and wow it was really amazing shows michaels genius soo well showed his love for music and preforming
I was suprised i laughed as well as cried it was amazing a must see

I just got home and wow it was really amazing shows michaels genius soo well showed his love for music and preforming

What was your favourite performance???

was "butterfles" rehearsed?

Is who is it in the movie???

no spoilers

best performance, wow they were all amazing erm.... thats a hard one smooth criminal because of the black and white thing(my lips are sealed)

how was his voice??? Did he sound good???

ANd how was the sound in the cinema??? Did they play it loud?

how was his voice??? Did he sound good???

ANd how was the sound in the cinema??? Did they play it loud?

OMG his voice was AMAZING like his voice when he recorded the songs first time around, his voice will amaze you he never lost it

yes it was loud but not stupid loud

In 'This Is It' Michael Jackson's King of Pop lives

Everything about the run-up to "This Is It," the concert documentary that tracks Michael Jackson's preparations for his comeback tour this summer, has bordered on unbelievable.
From the herculean effort of assembling the movie from 120 hours of rehearsal footage in less than four months to the unprecedented ticket sales for a limited two-week run that started at midnight Tuesday, the tale of "This Is It" has required superlatives and exclamations.

So why stop there? In "This Is It," Michael Jackson is once again The Thriller, the biggest pop star the world has ever known. Even with its cobbled-together performances and rehearsal-mode restrictions, "This Is It" shows Jackson assert himself as the King of Pop before his untimely death.
The fact that he didn't achieve it is really the only sadness in the movie.
Jackson ended up regaining his crown posthumously, becoming music's top-selling artist of the year once again. But his intricate performances in "This Is It," far outpacing his work in his final American concert at Madison Square Garden in 2001, show that, after years of personal struggles, he had recaptured some of the magic of his early career.
Whether he's charming his way through "Smooth Criminal" or playfully flirting through "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," Jackson was once again at the top of his game.
"This Is It" is nearly two hours of celebration, as Jackson meticulously builds his show. We see him tweak the tempos in "The Way You Make Me Feel" and order lighting cues and dramatic pauses.
Those looking to "This Is It" - directed by Kenny Ortega, who was also the director of the planned London tour - for answers to questions about Jackson's health and state of mind in the weeks leading up to his death will find the saddest one. Jackson was thin, but seemingly healthy and in command and nearing the comeback he wanted so badly.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/in-this-is-it-michael-jackson-s-king-of-pop-lives-1.1553216

It is amazing...its just rehearsal but it is 1000% better than any other artist's concerts combined

This is definitely it - the Michael Jackson way

Michael Jackson is incredible, and few will disagree with that. Yet, even holding to that belief myself, I was blown away (even moved to tears at times) by the intimate and explosive portrayal of the man in action. “This Is It” is not about Jackson's death, nor is it necessarily a documentary about his life, with people looking back and remembering (goodness we've seen enough of that). At Jackson's own request, the film is a personal look at what goes into making his performances fantastic, memorable and sufficient to grant him the title ‘King of Pop.' Originally intended for Jackson's personal archives, the world now gets to see the work behind the music (as well as lots and lots of music). And remarkably, what this inside look accomplishes is a dispelling of common beliefs of a weird and creepy former star. Jackson comes out for love, peace and saving the planet, and none of it feels fake. He used his music to promote these qualities in others, and his music was phenomenal enough that people remembered.
And about that phenomenal music, mixed in with interviews and effects and backstage of the concert are performances of the entire concert lineup. These performances are full dress rehearsals, complete with fantastic dancing, lighting, effects and classic Michael Jackson improvisation. Many of the numbers are interrupted by Jackson so he can fix something that wasn't quite right and, while jarring, it only makes it that much more exciting when he signals the music to begin again.
As is typical at a big name concert when the music starts up for a well-known and loved song, I found myself itching to get up and scream when the familiar tones of “Thriller” or “Smooth Criminal” filled the theater.
Though at times Jackson tones down his singing to save his voice (these are only rehearsals, after all), just watching the man and his constant dancing and moving and tweaking of the music is more than enough to carry the show, which makes instances of full-throated glory nothing short of incredible.
This is a movie where you leave feeling that life is a little better for having seen it. The music and message will leave an indelible impact, and you might turn around at the door to watch it again.
While it is difficult to classify documentary type films in with typical Hollywood, I still have to call “This Is It” the best movie this year. It is a lasting portrayal of a man whose music will always be loved. This film is not a one-time see, but one that will resonate over and over again.
I give “This Is It” a SCORCHING (5 of 5) rating, and it is required to see this in theaters to get the full, concert experience. And don't forget to stay to the end of the credits. You get three more songs and some extra footage.

RATING: SCORCHING (5 of 5)

TONY POTTER

Nothing wrong with 'This Is It' - surprisingly

Just to clarify - I am not, nor have I ever been, a Michael Jackson fan.
So when I walked into the theater to see Michael Jackson's "This Is It" documentary, I was expecting, even hoping not to enjoy it and give it a poor rating.
I figured that after the seemingly endless media coverage following his death and the never ending TV Guide documentaries on his life, I really didn't think I could take yet another "Life and Times of Michael Jackson."
But much to my dismay, I found next to nothing to criticize in this film. To put it frankly "This Is It" is awesome - it is (and I can't believe I'm going to say this) most likely one of the best films of this year.
What made this movie spectacular is that it was not about his life or his death. It was about his music and specifically about the preparations that went into what would have been his upcoming concerts in London.
And from all the footage that is shown in the documentary those concerts would have been his greatest curtain call ever.
Whether you like him or hate him the fact is that Michael Jackson was a phenomenal artist vocally, visually and of course on the dance floor. And it shows in almost every scene.
Thankfully the documentary is devoid of narrative and driven purely by the music. Jackson, his dancers, band and production crew go through every song that would have been played at the concerts and show the visuals and special effects that were to accompany them.
Spliced into Michael's practice sequences the songs really come to life, I can't imagine how good they would have looked complete and in person.
Of course there is the occasional boring sequence in the film, but overall "This Is It" is simply stunning. The film offers a unique look into a concert that millions were hoping to see - that will never happen.
It also provides an interesting look at Michael Jackson and the special way he worked with his music. It was nice watching something about the man that didn't seem tainted by weird or bizarre behavior.
Despite his personal faults this film is an excellent and very fitting tribute to the music of the so-called "King of Pop." For that reason this film gets a FLAMING HOT (5 of 5) rating.
Go see this movie - I promise you'll enjoy it.

SKIN NOTICE: This movie is devoid of violence, sex, language or even sensuality. However some of the dancers practice their dancing "behind the scenes" with less clothing on then some individuals may be comfortable with. There are two scenes in particular where female dancers are briefly shown with basically bikini like costumes.

RATING: FLAMING HOT (5 of 5)

NATE SUNDERLAND

http://www.rexburgstandardjournal.com/articles/2009/10/27/movies/65.txt
YES!!! i knew it, this time critics can see the real genius, they wont be able to deny the undeniable, MJ lives on, finally i feel like i can recover my faith in critics.

OMG his voice was AMAZING like his voice when he recorded the songs first time around, his voice will amaze you he never lost it

yes it was loud but not stupid loud

I knew it also, God i sound like God saying "i knew it , i knew it" but well is that i knew it, or at least i just thought Michael was a great genius, they will get to see the genius in proccess, the master, so i knew it.

Last edited:

Review: 'This Is It' gives us Michael Jackson's final performance
By Charlie McCollum

Michael Jackson's 50-concert engagement at the 02 arena in London — both a comeback and a farewell — was supposed to be the greatest show on earth, with the American pop prince blasting out his hits in an elaborate show featuring numerous set changes, aerial dancing, magic illusions, giant puppets a la the stage version of "The Lion King" and the world's largest 3-D screen.

Whether those concerts really would have been Jackson's greatest moments will never be known. He died June 25 from an overdose of prescription drugs while in the midst of rehearsals for the event, called "This Is It."

But you get at least some sense of what might have been from the film "This Is It," which opened Tuesday night to packed houses across the country and around the world.

"This Is It" is a rather odd movie. It's certainly not a documentary, lacking the context and critical perspective to be called that. But it's also not a pure concert film either. It's too raw and unvarnished for that.

Perhaps the best way to approach it — at least for those who are not total Jackson fans — is to view it as an often-fascinating document on how the sausage (or magic, if you will) is made for a mega-concert tour.

"This Is It" is drawn from roughly 120 hours of footage shot during rehearsals for the tour at Los Angeles' Staples Center and video pieces that had already been shot for use in the stage shows. It was pulled together, in a relatively short period of time, by Kenny Ortega ("Dirty Dancing," all three of the "High School Musical" films), who was directing and choreographing the Jackson production. (Ortega has a long-time relationship with the pop star, having also directed Jackson's Dangerous and HIStory tours in the 1990s.)

The footage was shot as a way for Ortega and Jackson to evaluate how rehearsals were going and, while some of it might have found its way into theaters as "backstage" material for a possible concert film, most of it was never supposed to see the light of day.

Many of the musical numbers are Frankenstein creations, bits and pieces stitched together from various rehearsals with footage that is sometimes sharp and sometimes muddy. It takes some getting used to in the opening "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin,'" but you do get comfortable with it after a while. As in any rehearsals, there are dropped lines, pauses to fix dance moves or a musical riff, and lighting cues that seem a bit off.

But it's precisely the rough quality that is the most intriguing part of "This Is It" and keeps it from being the mere exploitative throwaway that more than a few people (including Jackson devotees) feared it might be. The exchanges among Jackson and his musicians and crew, including Ortega, are a rare glimpse at a notoriously perfectionist superstar trying to craft his final production. There's frustration when things aren't just the way he wants and a kind of glow when things go right.

There is evidence things might have gone very right at the "This Is It" concerts littered throughout the film.

Some of the numbers are extraordinary, notably "Smooth Criminal" with its integration of black and white footage putting Jackson into old Hollywood clips with Rita Hayworth in "Gilda," Humphrey Bogart and Edward G. Robinson, and a "Thriller" number that amounts a mini-movie with all manner of special effects. And there are moments — a rousing "They Don't Care About Us," a scorching "Beat It" and a poignant "Man In the Mirror" — that truly do showcase Jackson at his best even in this rough footage.

Reactions to the film are likely to be all over the board.

Most of Jackson's fans will view it as an affirmation of his place in musical history and popular culture, a glorious final tribute to the Prince of Pop. Others are likely to view it as something unseemly, a rush job thrown into theaters to make more money off a dead performer who pushed too hard to make a return to the stage.

But if you go into "This Is It" without too much baggage one way or the other, you will find a film that is more than just a shallow celebration of a pop performer and — by avoiding that trap — manages to do justice to the music Michael Jackson was.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13657054

Last edited:

Tyrese Gibson tweets about this is it

at the premeire for "This is it" I brought my 2 year old daughter.. She's dancing in my lap.. I just teared up.. MJ still brings joy!

I'm gonna on record and say this.. And I hope ALL media outlets that follow me print this..

The Michael Jackson "This is it" Documentary has clearly reminded me of why he's the greatest that's ever done it! He was @the highest level Of Enteretainment.. Watching it made me feel like I was RIGHT THERE on the front row of his rehearsals.. Just AMAZING!! Amazing!!

I would encourage ALL 852,000 of my followers to go and see this documentary!! A True Legend.. (Rest in Heaven) God bless you Michael

The World was Michael's stage Tonight I witnessed the HIGHEST level of Entertainment! F**K what you heard or read about! MJ is the GREATEST!

Go see the movie.. I rest my case your honor...

http://twitter.com/Tyrese4Real

Back