STEVEN IVORY: Truly, Michael Jackson was It (EXCELLENT REVIEW)

Arabian Knight

Proud Member
STEVEN IVORY: Truly, Michael Jackson was It

steven_ivory(000-hands-clasped-b&w-med).jpg

*You don't have to be a Michael Jackson fan to enjoy “This Is It,” the Sony documentary chronicling rehearsals for Jackson's infamous 2009 London shows that never happened.

To like this film, you don't need to have considered Jackson a misunderstood saint. You don't even have to dig his music.

You only have to appreciate witnessing someone already at the pinnacle of his game strive to be better. You have to possess a voyeur's curiosity as to how things work, and be utterly intrigued with the spooky notion of a person so focused on their artistry that they literally become it.

It's long been established that Michael Jackson was arguably one of the greatest entertainers of all time. "This Is It" illustrates just what a ridiculously magnificent talent the man was.

That illustration, despite what critics rave of the film, doesn't come from watching Jackson direct his rehearsals. Every serious musician, whether leading a small town church choir or putting a lounge trio through its paces, knows that rehearsal is about being clear on what you want from your players and respectfully requesting it.

While Jackson does that, in the film the point of his baddness is made simply by watching him move. Because, in observing him dance--especially in rehearsal and not full-on, when you get to observe the delicate mechanics of his brilliance--you realize that while you were busy living your life, Jackson was perfecting his wildly intuitive skills as a performer.

While you were going through your divorce, even as monstrous sales figures of “Thriller” solidified his place in pop music history, Jackson was spending most Sunday afternoons at home dancing before a mirror to exhaustion (this is the truth), trying to conjure something new. While you were busy flip-flopping about things, MJ was breaking the glass ceiling of his physical and funky limitations. His was a greatness borne out of a work ethic so dynamic and single-minded that the results seem abnormal. The idea that other aspects of his life were said to be such a mess make Jackson's onstage mastery all the more startling.

And at the same time, while watching "This Is It," you realize that no one becomes the mighty entertainer Jackson was by even the most diligent practice sessions. The man was the recipient of a gift. A gift he came to nurture relentlessly at the expense of nearly all else in his life.

If you haven't seen the documentary, here's some advice in viewing it: don't look away. Even the most informed Jackson devotee thinks they are mesmerized simply by the man's trademark gestures--the kicks, spins and moonwalk emulated by a multitude of Jackson impersonators--when they are actually seduced by Jackson's entrancing subtlety.

It's the instinctive physical attitude and sexy rhythm that occurs in the nanosecond when Jackson's body is on its way from one show-stopping move to the next; the stuff you'll miss if you blink (or as I did during “This Is It,” try to take notes). Indeed, it is his funky subtlety that turns impassioned, joyful, physical expression into sheer magic, and during “This Is It,” many of the film's best moments are Jackson's sublime subtlety--the kind of groovy mini moves that had Jackson fans taping his televised performances over the years so they could relish the man's swaggering mettle over and again.

The truth is that it was Jackson's ingenuity as an entertainer--his verve as a dancer, his stylistic vocals that peerlessly homogenized pop and soul interpretations--that ultimately made anyone care about what went on in his personal life.

Consider that Jackson's beyond-eccentric public persona would have overwhelmed the formidable careers of lesser lights long ago. His abstruse, seductive dazzle as one of the greatest showmen of modern time was and continues to be the primary reason for the world's fascination, worship and when required, sympathy for Michael Jackson. We only gaped in wonder at Jackson's complex private life, often ignoring and/or forgiving what we might find, in hope that something--anything--would help shed any measure of light on how a man can do what Jackson did on a stage with such soulful agility, fury and grace. “This Is It” is as close to an answer as we're going to get.

It is fitting that a film about the live pop music performance would be the last thing Jackson left us, in an era when the true art of singing, dancing and musicianship is all but folklore. “This Is It” is required viewing for anyone who (A) wants to be in show business or (B) is already in show business. Even if you make your living behind the scenes--as an entertainment executive, manager or attorney--see this film to remind you (or introduce you to the concept) that there is no substitute for absolute and unyielding talent. Posers, fakers and that hideous Auto Voice be damned.

By the way, after viewing “This Is It"--seeing and hearing all the truly skilled musicians, singers and dancers--the likes of Lil' Wayne should never again want to go onstage holding a guitar unless they can actually play the thing. Stop disrespecting the guitar by wearing it as a fashion accessory. Either dedicate yourself to the task of seriously learning to play or cease your molestation of the instrument.

In fact, that--truly getting ones shit together--is the main thing I took away from “This Is It.” Matters not what you do or pursue in this life. After witnessing Jackson's dizzying onscreen craftsmanship and indefatigable dedication to his thing, if you aren't left with the irrepressible desire to step up your own game, then you missed MJ's most dynamic move ever.

Steven Ivory's book, FOOL IN LOVE (Touchstone/Simon & Schuster) is available at Amazon.com (www.Amazon.com). Respond to him via STEVRIVORY@AOL.COM

http://eurweb.com/story/eur57165.cfm

Last edited:
Yep, incredible. It's great to see so many great reviews, and I hope that people keep watching the film this week.

I love this review… I’m gonna write to the author to thank him. :yes:

This actually gave me goosebumps. He said everything that couldn't be said but only felt. I love the last sentance:

After witnessing Jackson's dizzying onscreen craftsmanship and indefatigable dedication to his thing, if you aren't left with the irrepressible desire to step up your own game, then you missed MJ's most dynamic move ever.

:clapping:

WOW :clapping:
the review made me a lil teary...

I was going to post this myself. This is the best review I have read.

And the description of Michael's relationship to his art is so true. I always have thought that talking with Michael about his art or watching him perform or practice was similar to what it must have been like watching Michelangelo sculpt. It was almost like he was possesed by it and the rest of the world just faded away. All you could do is just stand and watch in reverence and amazement. I have rarely had that feeling; seeing something otherworldly great. I actually felt the same way when I saw Michelangelos David in Florence.

Thanks for posting this!

Welcome callmerose, anything for our man. I also believe this is the best review I’ve seen so far for ‘This Is It’ I am gonna try to spread it everywhere as much as I can. People really need to read it.

hmm, he uses words like sexy and seductive alot, I think maybe Stevey boy has a crush :ninja:

also,

By the way, after viewing “This Is It"--seeing and hearing all the truly skilled musicians, singers and dancers--the likes of Lil' Wayne should never again want to go onstage holding a guitar unless they can actually play the thing. Stop disrespecting the guitar by wearing it as a fashion accessory. Either dedicate yourself to the task of seriously learning to play or cease your molestation of the instrument.

2428mrn.jpg

Amazing review! I loved reading every word of it. Steve Ivory sounds familiar and in a good way. I think this guy has always loved and respected Michael, yes?

Reading this just after I just came back from seeing TII at the IMAX made me cry. It just so true, it hurts.

Amazing review! I loved reading every word of it. Steve Ivory sounds familiar and in a good way. I think this guy has always loved and respected Michael, yes?
brother steven ivory has covered the jackson family since the 70's. great review and the man knows his music.

i've read and followed his work since i was a kid and he is the truth. classic writing as always,FYI that is his voice for the commercial for the soundtrack for "this is it" btw

Back