Am i the only who doesn't understand the hype of The Black Eyed Peas?

analogue

Proud Member
This is something that has been bugging me for a long time now and i thought i'd just get it out here.

What is with the hype and attraction of The Black Eyed Peas now a days? They music is played everywhere, people go nuts whenever one of they're songs is played in a night club and it seems like most artists in music today are breaking down Will i am's door trying to work with him. Now before i thought that The Black Eyed Peas music was pretty decent. Where Is The Love is a nice song and Shut Up isn't to bad either but now i feel that they've really gone down hill. Now all they're music seems to have is autotune, no melody what so ever and boring loud beats that give you a headache. Ok i'll admit that i like Meet Me Halfway but other than that all of the songs i've heard from them are pretty bad.

I just don't understand the appeal of them. Also i don't understand how shouting ''CAUSE I'M HAVING A GOOD TIME WITH YOU'' in a song is cool. For me it's just annoying

I'm not bashing people who like them. if you like them then that's cool but i just don't understand the hype that surrounds them now a days

"people go nuts whenever one of they're songs is played in a night club"

They music is played everywhere, people go nuts whenever one of they're songs is played in a night club and it seems like most artists in music today are breaking down Will i am's door trying to work with him.

The reason why people like them is because their songs have a powerfull beat that is kinda addictive and makes you want to dance. This is the kind of music that the majority of people enjoys today. Loud beats so they can dance to. Good and meaningful lyrics are optional. As for melodies,again optional. It's music only for clabing i guess nothing more, nothing less.

Selling out. You've got to do it, to compete with the more pop/dance oriented artists who are popular today, like Miley Cyrus, Gaga, Minaj, etc. The BEPs aren't the first to do it--even the likes of Christina Aguilera have changed their style to suit the new fad of dance-centric music.

I know it's awful but I do consider "Dirty Bit" to be a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Can't believe I admitted that in public, but there you go....

I know it's awful but I do consider "Dirty Bit" to be a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Well i can't say much. Tik Tok by Kesha is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me

I don't understand the hype either. Nearly all their songs sound the same, Fergie is a mediocre singer (and live she's awful, witnessed this myself), and Will.I.Am mostly shouts in his songs. The lyrics have no meaning whatsoever but fortunately they are drown out by the beat so few people are bothered by it. I can't stand them and I hope Will.I.Am sticks to his promise of never releasing the songs he worked on with Michael, I wouldn't want his legacy to be tainted like that.

That said, I liked their first few songs like Where Is The Love and Shut Up. I also liked I Gotta Feeling at first, until it became way overplayed, now it's just annoying.

Never understood it.

I used to like "Where Is The Love", "Shut Up", "Don't Lie", "Pump It" and "Mas Que Nada" a bit, but the rest of them I just can't listen to.

My Humps is my guilty pleasure.

Not the song, literally my humps are my guilty pleasure.

I think they suck. She can't sing live and they use autotune. That is a good sign they have little talent.

My Humps is my guilty pleasure.

Not the song, literally my humps are my guilty pleasure.
Oh man...

I cant believe you dont like them
I heard their music today. You'd be surprised how quickly I tuned out.

'''Dirty bit. Dirty bit''. Or the best one of all: ''Gonna have a good good good night, gonna have a good good good night.''. Not if you idiots decide to ruin it for me.

I don't understand the hype either. Nearly all their songs sound the same, Fergie is a mediocre singer (and live she's awful, witnessed this myself), and Will.I.Am mostly shouts in his songs. The lyrics have no meaning whatsoever but fortunately they are drown out by the beat so few people are bothered by it. I can't stand them and I hope Will.I.Am sticks to his promise of never releasing the songs he worked on with Michael, I wouldn't want his legacy to be tainted like that.

That said, I liked their first few songs like Where Is The Love and Shut Up. I also liked I Gotta Feeling at first, until it became way overplayed, now it's just annoying.
Fergie can sing when she wants to. Beautiful Dangerous, the one with Slash is actually quite decent (and I wrote it off at first before I even heard it). The beats are so generic. I thought some of Michael's were terrible but some of theirs are just as bad, if not worse.

I'd like to hear the will.i.am songs if nothing more than to see how good Michael's vocals, if unaltered, were in the last five years apart from leaks. The music the Peas put out just goes nowhere. Sure, they're good for being stoned to I'm sure, but nothing more than that. And to think I put on the radio this morning and Katy Perry's voice came on. I just turned it off. It goes from low to high and really grates quickly.

If the Peas magically faded away, I don't think I'd care.

Michael isn't hyped--he has talent.

Most mainstream artists today, however, are over-hyped. Some have talent, but not that much.

True... I expressed it wrong :doh: I really meant... I don't care about the 'hype' they put on other artists... Our Michael is the ONLY ONE with TRUE Natural talent... :wub: Does this sounds :tease:I don't care... I speak only from the heart... :agree:

To be very honest, I like some of their songs, but they are not classics, not that great to say they are such a great band. I just don't understand the hype :unsure:
but that's just me :)

The Beginning...

That said, I liked their first few songs like Where Is The Love and Shut Up.
That's not their first songs. Will.I.Am & apl.de.ap started out as the A.T.B.A.N Klann. They 1st appeared on this Eazy E song.
[youtube]9P_Ga_wzCyA[/youtube]
Here's some more of their songs. They were recorded around 1992.
[youtube]OqFeE7W3yRc[/youtube]
[youtube]n2gXDxCpiCg[/youtube]
[youtube]r_r6-uu7BsM[/youtube]
The first 2 Black Eyed Peas albums came out in the late 1990's and Kim Hill was the singer. These albums didn't sell much, but the group had a cult audience. Their record label told the group they were going to be dropped if they didn't go in a more commercial route. Kim didn't want to do this so she quit the group. Jimmy Iovine was the one who talked BEP into adding Fergie, who used to be a member of the 1990's girl group Wild Orchid. Here's Kim speaking about leaving the group.
[youtube]KsmTRzzbnP8[/youtube]
Here's a few Kim Hill era songs.
[youtube]NWHW0DsX7IA[/youtube]
[youtube]Z8kS7atmTis[/youtube]
[youtube]CjWXWTKa5kI[/youtube]
[youtube]YN9muHLuHDc[/youtube]

^ I know that, I meant to say BEP the way they are now (with Fergie). I'm not too fond of how they were pre-Fergie either though. I guess it's just not my style.

I bought two of their albums many years ago - Monkey Business and Elephunk. I've hardly ever played them, the BEPs' stuff just... bores me, really. The only stuff I've heard of theirs is just strained aural diarrhoea to me, although having said that, I've never been that big on anything hip-hop.

I hear enough of them for my liking on the music channels and radio etc., and feel no need to really listen to them, although I don't actually mind several of their best known hits such as Where Is The Love, Shut up etc. They just don't really do that much for me, that's all.

So yeah, I can't shed any light on it myself either. Sorry about that mister thread starter, lol.

Back