Michael Jackson Pulled Out Of Spielberg's Hook Over Peter Pan Portrayal

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/mi...elbergs-hook-over-peter-pan-portrayal_1269070

Michael Jackson pulled out of playing Peter Pan in Steven Spielberg's 1991 movie Hook because the director's vision for the film didn't match his own.

Spielberg admits Jackson was keen to take on the lead role in the film but baulked at the idea of playing a lawyer who forgot he was the boy who never grew up.

The director tells Entertainment Weekly magazine, "Michael had always wanted to play Peter Pan, but I called Michael and I said, 'This is about a lawyer that is brought back to save his kids and discovers that he was once, when he was younger, Peter Pan.'

"Michael understood at that point it wasn't the same Peter Pan he wanted to make."

The role eventually went to funnyman Robin Williams.

Thank God Michael wasn't in it.............Hook was rubbish!!!!

Hook is a great film and I think that Robin Williams was ideal for this role. Interesting to know that Michael considered it.

Good choice MJ made IMO Hook was a terrible movie. How u gonna have the guy that played Popeye play Peterpan too?. lol And I understand MJ not wanting the story line unchanged, he couldn't relate to it anymore. Make sense.

I can see why Michael pulled out of it. He obviously wouldn't fit the role for the kind of story Hook was. I love the movie though, for what it is. It's a childhood favorite of mine. :) I always wondered what he actually thought of the movie though.

I would have rather seen him in Edward Scissorshand. I read he was offered that role as well. I know Michael loved Peter Pan but somehow I think Edward Scissorshand would have been even more fitting for him. Especially considering what happened to him later in his life.

^^I think there's a lot of Jonny Depp's movie characters would fit for Michael. But I can't see him in Hook role at all.

I would have rather seen him in Edward Scissorshand. I read he was offered that role as well. I know Michael loved Peter Pan but somehow I think Edward Scissorshand would have been even more fitting for him. Especially considering what happened to him later in his life.

I agree with you the first time i saw Edward Scissorhands it made me cry because it reminded me of Michael he would have been perfect for it :) although i did love Johnny Depp in it yeh brilliant film :)

As much as I like Hook, it doesnt have much to do with Peter Pan to me. The real one would never have forgotten who he was to become a lawyer. The very definition of the character was changed in this movie. It had nothing to do with Barrie's.

honestly Peter Pan is something that never amazed me, not even as a child. as for hook, don't know the movie, so good for Michael.

Last edited:
honestly Peter Pan is something that never amazed me, not even as a child. as for hook, don't know the movie so good for Michael.

Your pragmatism is just inspiring. Love it.

When I first became a hardcore MJ fan in the Dangerous era, I slightly remember stories about MJ being linked to Peter Pan and the whole Hook fiasco.

IF I remember correctly, MJ was hurt by Spieldberg completely changing Barrie's story & felt bamboozled by it.

That being said, I have no respect for Spielberg after what he, Katzenberg & Geffen did to Michael. They are greedy fools who conned their way into Dreamworks. MJ became disillusioned after yet another stabbing by his good friend Spieldberg.

So spare me the whitewashed stories about Hook/Peter Pan, and do explain how you screw MJ out of Dreamworks along with his Moonboy logo.

I dont know that story what happend with spielberg and dreamworks and michael?????????????

Re mj and films, peter weir the director of the truman show has said that he based the character of truman burbank (played by jim carrey) on mj.

Your pragmatism is just inspiring. Love it.

When I first became a hardcore MJ fan in the Dangerous era, I slightly remember stories about MJ being linked to Peter Pan and the whole Hook fiasco.

IF I remember correctly, MJ was hurt by Spieldberg completely changing Barrie's story & felt bamboozled by it.

That being said, I have no respect for Spielberg after what he, Katzenberg & Geffen did to Michael. They are greedy fools who conned their way into Dreamworks. MJ became disillusioned after yet another stabbing by his good friend Spieldberg.

So spare me the whitewashed stories about Hook/Peter Pan, and do explain how you screw MJ out of Dreamworks along with his Moonboy logo.

Thankyou Memefan, I can NEVER forget it. Especially the Dreamworks logo. I remember the first time I saw it as kid, I instantly thought of Michael and and kept saying to myself, "OMG! Its as if Mike did it, its so like him, its him!" and at that time I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea about Michael's prior connection to Dreamworks and his involvement with that logo design! Years later when I found out, I was shocked, saddened and speechless...everytime I see that beautiful logo, it breaks my heart.

As for Hook, again I had no idea about the MJ connection when I first saw the movie here in India on HBO in the 1990s, but all the while I kept thinking if Michael had seen the movie, if he liked it, etc., (only because it was about Peter Pan)again having NO idea about his prior connection to the movie! BTW, Robin Williams sucks big time in that SILLY movie and even Julia Roberts(one of my fav actresses) is so irritating as Tink!

Of course Mike couldn't do it, he couldn't relate to it anymore. Afterall, unlike that lawyer in the movie, Mike NEVER forgot that he was Peter Pan(in his heart!) and he remained like that always, inspite of being the greatest entertainer of all time and the most famous person in the world!

Oh Michael...you are so forever loved and missed...there will NEVER be another like you. EVER.

yeah he said it in an interview. he wrote it based on mjs life being a goldfish bowl

^^^^Yes I heard that too, I don't think it was meant in any negative way.

Thankyou Memefan, I can NEVER forget it. Especially the Dreamworks logo. I remember the first time I saw it as kid, I instantly thought of Michael and and kept saying to myself, "OMG! Its as if Mike did it, its so like him, its him!" and at that time I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea about Michael's prior connection to Dreamworks and his involvement with that logo design! Years later when I found out, I was shocked, saddened and speechless...everytime I see that beautiful logo, it breaks my heart.

As for Hook, again I had no idea about the MJ connection when I first saw the movie here in India on HBO in the 1990s, but all the while I kept thinking if Michael had seen the movie, if he liked it, etc., (only because it was about Peter Pan)again having NO idea about his prior connection to the movie! BTW, Robin Williams sucks big time in that SILLY movie and even Julia Roberts(one of my fav actresses) is so irritating as Tink!

Of course Mike couldn't do it, he couldn't relate to it anymore. Afterall, unlike that lawyer in the movie, Mike NEVER forgot that he was Peter Pan(in his heart!) and he remained like that always, inspite of being the greatest entertainer of all time and the most famous person in the world!

Oh Michael...you are so forever loved and missed...there will NEVER be another like you. EVER.
what's the story behind dreamworks?

interesting about the true man show. my mom isn't a fan of MJs but she and i saw it and she relate it directly to MJ

I dont know that story what happend with spielberg and dreamworks and michael?????????????

I've heard two storys about MJ and Spielberg. First - that Spielberg stole the idea for company logo from Neverland.
logos.jpg

Second i read in Row's book and this is the quote:

He went into depth about how he felt that Steven Spielberg and David Geffen had mistreated him. I could tell he was very hurt about that. He told me he was supposed to be a partner in The DreamWorks Company, and that he wanted so badly to make a movie. Steven Spielberg told him to find a good script, and he would be cast in the starring role. Michael said that is what he did. He said when he found a great script he sent it over to Steven Spielberg, and a couple of days later, he received a call from him, "Michael, I have some good news, and I have some bad news. The good news is... the script you sent over was great. The bad news is that you will not be starring in the movie." Michael said that was one of the most painful days of his life. Michael knew and felt that he was being "blackballed" by the entertainment industry. He told me he did not allow his children, Prince Michael and Paris (at this particular time Blanket was a baby), to watch television because everything that was being said about him was always negative. He said they always referred to him as "Wacko Jacko", and they are always calling him a child molester. He also said no matter what good he did in the world, it was never talked about publicly. He knew that he was disliked by the powers of the entertainment industry [...]

I loved 'Hook' as a kid and still do. It's understandable that MJ didn't want to be involved in the film.

I never knew about Spielberg/Dreamworks logo situation. Poor Michael. :(

Like others, I ALWAYS see Michael playing Edward Scissorshands. That role would have been perfect for him. He could totally relate to him. Though Johnny was fantastic as Edward.

Re mj and films, peter weir the director of the truman show has said that he based the character of truman burbank (played by jim carrey) on mj.

Really? I didn't know that either. Michael was suppose to be partners in dreamworks?

Interesting. I rather wish Michael's life ended the way it did in that movie, where he could just move on with his life away from all the cameras.

Back