42 Years Ago ~ The Jackson 5 Debut on American Bandstand - February 21, 1970 ~ February 24th, 2012

MJ TinkerBell

Proud Member
Where Michael IS..Is where you will find Me <3
Country
Canada
banner2gl.png

42 Years Ago ~ The Jackson 5 Debut on American Bandstand
- February 21, 1970 ~ February 24, 2012

[YOUTUBE]UYsej0ykSXI[/YOUTUBE]

We're goin' hoppin' (hop!)
We're goin' hoppin' today
Where things are poppin' (pop!) the Philadelphia way
We're gonna drop (drop!) in on all the music they play
On the Bandstand American Bandstand..

jackson-5-american-bandstand-1970-385x240.jpg

On October 13, 1952, WFIL-TV began a local show called Bandstand. Originally hosted by Bob Horn, it kept Philadelphia teenagers up-to-date on the latest dance steps. Horn was fired following a drunk driving arrest. On July 9, 1956, Richard Wagstaff "Dick" Clark took over as host. By the spring of 1957, he pitched it to ABC with this decision completely racially intigrated the show and went national as American Bandstand on August 5, 1957. Dick Clark held the job for the next thirty years, becoming a major media mogul and earning the nickname &#8220;America&#8217;s Oldest Teenager&#8221;. On February 21 1970, Michael Jackson and the rest of the Jackson 5 introduced themselves to America with their TV debut on American Bandstand. They performed a few hits and Michael also talked to Dick Clark. The performances show not only that the group were amazing performers working together, but that Michael was a superstar in the making. Watching MJ sing and dance like that as an 11-year-old kid where the group perform classic hits like &#8220;I Want You Back.&#8221;

The Article:

ab1970iwybms7.png

Michael Jackson Called Dick Clark his "Second Dad"..

Michael Jackson once called Dick Clark his "second dad" the veteran US TV presenter has revealed. Clark, 80, is to be honoured at the 2010 Daytime Emmy Awards in Las Vegas.
Well known in the US for presenting American Bandstand, the TV host met the late pop singer when he was just 11.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Clark says: "Michael [and I] had a 40-year friendship from the time he was just a kid to when he became the biggest star in the world.
"I remember the first time I interviewed an 11-year-old Michael on Bandstand.
"He insisted on taking the microphone from me. When I heard the news of his passing, I thought of the photograph he signed to me as his 'Second Dad'."
"I knew Michael as a child and watched him grow over the years. Of all the thousands of entertainers I have worked with, Michael was THE most outstanding. Many have tried and will try to copy him, but his talent will never be matched. He was truly one-of-a-kind"

The Youtube Videos of this Event :

The Jackson 5 - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah/There Was A Time live on American Bandstand 1970
[youtube]yIO6tHCxnDY[/youtube]

The Jackson 5 - Interview with Dick Clark American Bandstand 1970 [HD]
[youtube]t9eH9XsM2Mw[/youtube]

The Jackson 5 - ABC live on American Bandstand 1970 [HD]
[youtube]J_sx5d_CoLo[/youtube]

Michael Jackson 1970 American Bandstand Dance
[youtube]M-P2ZoBeFO4[/youtube]

The Michael Jackson & Dick Clark Photo Gallery: (Through The Years)

bandstand.gif

tn_gallery_4722_188_29555.jpg

tn_gallery_4722_188_202209.jpg

tn_gallery_188_36681.jpg

tn_gallery_4_188_441409.jpg

michael-jackson-jackson-5-the-rare-performances-f68a4.jpg

safe_image.php

2735596_3_l.jpg

dick-clark-michael-jackson.jpg

michaeljacksonphotos1991withdickclarkse1810a.jpg

Michael Jackson and American Music Awards' executive producer Dick Clark go over the show's script during rehearsals Jan. 24, 1993, at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Jackson, nominated for five awards, opened the show.

ss-091026-dick-clark-05.grid-6x3.jpg

dick-clark7.jpg

American-Bandstand-50th-Anniversary-michael-jackson-7176157-600-394.jpg

04+ABC.jpg

02+I+Want+You+Back.jpg

The Sources:

http://wods.radio.com/2012/02/21/jackson-5-make-tv-debut-wods-rewind-videos/#ixzz1n5hyAXBB

http://www.metrolyrics.com/2010-michael-jackson-called-dick-clark-his-second-dad-news.html

http://www.digitalspy.ca/celebrity/news/a162171/clark-jackson-talent-unmatched.html

Sincerely your
MJJC
Legacy
Team

Last edited:
Tinkerbell thanks for this; it brought back fond memories. I have some of this footage on DVD. It seems Michael called more than one person his "second dad." That is certainly an honor.

I don't specifically remember...but I am sure I must have seen their 1970 appearance on Bandstand as a 5 year old. They were everywhere at the time.

R.I.P Richard Wagstaff "Dick" Clark
November 30, 1929 &#8211; April 18, 2012

103114-004-25074CEE.jpg

:pray::cry::pray:

I know Michael was there to Welcome you with open arms .. you have fulfilled your purpose .. rest now :pray::heart::pray:

In%20The%20Arms%20Of%20An%20Angel%202.jpg

souldreamer7;3625549 said:
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYsej0ykSXI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYsej0ykSXI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

R.I.P. Dick, Casey and Don :angel:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSPGe_vGcBM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dSPGe_vGcBM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

tumblr_m2ozt8pDwQ1qz74mqo1_1280.jpg

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H-xLTDVTV88?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H-xLTDVTV88?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/neGe8BbfxvA?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/neGe8BbfxvA?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

MsCassieMollie;3625552 said:
dick-clark7.jpg

The legendary Dick Clark passed away today :psad: RIP Mike & Dick!

Michael Jackson, Dick Clark, 1993 | SILive.com

OHH Dick was a wonderful person and was all about the music. RIP.

Dick Clark didn't let any grass grow under his feet. There are so many ventures that he
created and was responsible for. A long list of achievements. One such thing was
bringing Black kids and White kids together under one roof to enjoy dancing.

Just like Soul Train with Don Cornelius, I always loved watching Bandstand to enjoy the music,
dancers, and guests. Wow. The 2 dance show hosts have the same initials. DC

Rest in peace Mr. Clark. You made New Years Eve, and so much more, enjoyable events for many.

RIP Dick Clark. :( He was before my time, but I enjoyed watching him every New Year's Eve, which he continued to do even after his stroke. He had a great run.

Yes he kept hosting the show til Ryan Searcrest took over in 2006, I believe.
I thinks its amazing that Mr. Clark was able to came back a short year later after his stroke.

Thank you for this, brought back so many memories. R I P Dick Clark.

:pray::heart::pray:

I spoke to my father who watched Dick Clark long before I was born and he said it like this " Dick Clark has been doing this every year of your life !!" When he put it like that it broke my heart :cry: I sat stunned just trying to figure how I will ever watch a New Years Rockin Eve without Dick Clark :swoon: My entire life Dick has been there when I was solo on New Years, when I had no money to go out and celebrate Dick was there always !! Dick Clark never disappointed his audience for more then 50 years of his career because that is who he was not what he was PAID to do !!

Michael Jackson singing Rockin' Robin on American Bandstand (1972)
[youtube]Jhlkwqq09O0[/youtube]
Michael Jackson singing Rockin' Robin on American Bandstand (1972) on Got to Be There..Rockin' Robin (Charts #2 US R&B, #2 USA) on Got to Be There Album.
Copyright © Motown Records, CBS, MJJ Music Inc.

American Bandstand 50th Anniversary (2002)
[youtube]W0pJb68JbE4[/youtube]
Amazing Coolage of the 50 year history of American Bandstand

Then this came to me :
The Boy who would refused to grow and became a King meets the World's Oldest Teenager, sounds like the match made from heaven !!
:bow:

Last edited:
President Obama Leads Tributes to TV host Dick Clark...
'For Now, So Long'...US TV presenter Dick Clark dies
US TV host Clark suffers stroke.. April 19th, 2012

_59738343_014544171-1.jpg

Ryan Seacrest (l) joined the Rockin' New Year's Eve show after Dick Clark had a stroke

Tributes have been pouring in following the death of American veteran TV presenter Dick Clark, with President Barack Obama saying he "reshaped the television landscape forever".

Clark, who was 82, died following a heart attack on Wednesday.

He produced and presented a host of programmes including American Bandstand and an annual New Year's Eve special.

Ryan Seacrest, who took over the New Year's Eve special, called him "one of the greatest influences in my life".

Clark suffered a stroke in 2004, which led to Seacrest joining as host of Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve.

"I idolised him from the start, and I was graced early on in my career with his generous advice and counsel," said Seacrest.

Star Quotes:

But more important than his groundbreaking achievements was the way he made us feel - as young and vibrant and optimistic as he was&#8221;
President Barack Obama

"When I joined his show in 2006, it was a dream come true to work with him every New Year's Eve for the last six years."
Clark hosted and produced the music show American Bandstand from 1957 to 1987. The show saw groups of teenagers dancing to the top 40 tracks of the day, with a guest performer singing their latest hit.

An astute businessman and producer, Dick Clark was also referred to as "the world's oldest teenager" because of his youthful appearance.
Jack Black, Moby , Sheryl Crow and Rita Wilson all paid tribute to the television presenter
President Obama said: "Michelle and I are saddened to hear about the passing of Dick Clark. With American Bandstand he introduced decades worth of viewers to the music of our times.

"For 40 years, we welcomed him into our homes to ring in the New Year.

"But more important than his groundbreaking achievements was the way he made us feel - as young and vibrant and optimistic as he was."

Among the guests on American Bandstand were the artists from the Motown roster.

Motown founder Berry Gordy said: "Dick was always there for me and Motown, even before there was a Motown.

[youtube]QrTMbmARUZc[/youtube]

"He was an entrepreneur, a visionary and a major force in changing pop culture and ultimately influencing integration. It happened first emotionally. Music can do that. He didn't do it from a soap box, he just did it."

American Bandstand also spawned the show So You Think You Can Dance, which has been reproduced around the world.

Record producer Clive Davis said: "Dick Clark was a true pioneer who revolutionised the way we listened to and consumed music.

"Before American Idol, X Factor and The Voice, even before MTV, it was American Bandstand, which brought the most popular music of the day straight to the nation's living rooms.

_59739165_014543585-1.jpg

Dick Clark took over American Bandstand in 1957.

"Many artists made their debut on the Bandstand stage, and for generations he steadfastly welcomed millions of fans to his celebrations of the best of contemporary music. For me he ranks right up there with the giants of our business."

Dick Clark also created the American Music Awards (AMAs) in 1973, to compete with the Grammys.

Michael Jackson is credited with winning the most AMAs, collecting 27 during his lifetime.

His sister Janet Jackson tweeted: "Dick Clark changed the face of musical television. He was wonderful to many artists including our family. We will miss him. God bless."

The Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17769053

Last edited:
From Michael Jackson To Prince: Dick Clark's Most Rocking Interviews Ever (VIDEO)
Posted April 18, 2012 Global Grind Staff

51738693.jpg

Media icon Dick Clark passed away earlier today from a massive heart attack at the age of 82.

Dick Clark was one of the most famous TV producers and hosts ever and his company was behind your favorite shows like the American Music Awards, the Golden Globes, New Year's Rocking Eve and of course, American Bandstand.

Over the years he's interviewed some of the biggest names in the world. So in honor of an icon we thought it would only be right to highlight just a few of the legendary celebrities he's interviewed in his lifetime.

PHOTOS: Performances From Dick Clark's Rocking New Years Eve

From Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna, to Jerry Seinfeld and Angela Bassett, check out the interviews below and remember Dick Clark the way he should be remembered.

The Dick Clark Interviews (Youtube Videos):

Michael Jackson Interview with Dick Clark American Bandstand 1972 [HD]
[youtube]U-cEPKVaNA4[/youtube]

Dick Clark interviews Stevie Wonder on American Bandstand
[youtube]dSvtg6lLo98[/youtube]

Dick Clark Interviews Prince on American Bandstand
[youtube]9Tg46EO8GFQ[/youtube]

Dick Clark Interviews Madonna on American Bandstand
[youtube]qlr1LkblgqU[/youtube]

Dick Clark Interviews Aretha Franklin on American Bandstand
[youtube]6UiUqN5WMUk[/youtube]

The Source:
http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/dick-clark-dead-best-interviews-michael-jackson-video

Last edited:

Disney responds to Dick Clark Death: 'We Send Our Sincere Condolences'
Published Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 4:28am EDT | By Catriona Wightman

ustv_dick_clark.jpg

Rex Features / ABC Inc/Everett

Disney has responded to the death of legendary broadcaster Dick Clark by sending its "sincere condolences" to his family.
Clark, known for hosting shows such as American Bandstand andNew Year's Rockin' Eve, passed away after a "massive heart attack"yesterday.

Disney, which owns American Bandstand's network ABC, has now released a statement explaining that it was "proud" to work with Clark.

The Walt Disney Company's chairman and CEO Robert A Iger said: "For more than half a century, Dick Clark brought the best of American music to audiences across the country, creating careers and countless fans for artists on his iconic shows American Bandstand and New Year's Rockin' Eve.

"We're proud that ABC was home to those programs and will always be part of his legacy. On behalf of everyone at Disney and ABC, we send our sincere condolences to Dick's family, as well as the three generations of fans who will miss him as much as we do."

The Source:
http://www.digitalspy.ca/celebrity/...rk-death-we-send-our-sincere-condolences.html

Dick Clark Remembered by Aretha Franklin and Little Richard..
Published Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 1:24am EDT | By Zeba Blay

showbiz_dick_clark_career_galllery_2.jpg

Rex Features / ABC Inc/Everett
Aretha Franklin and Little Richard have come together to remember the late Dick Clark.

Clark passed away on Wednesday (April 18) at the age of 82 aftersuffering a "massive heart attack".

The TV presenter and producer was best known for his annual New Year's Eve special, as well as his music television show American Bandstand, where artists like Franklin and Little Richard were introduced to mainstream audiences.

In a CNN interview with Anderson Cooper, Franklin said: "He very easily [integrated audiences]... He made such a great contribution to the health and welfare of the young adults from across this country and out of the country."

Video: Aretha Franklin interview on 'American Bandstand'
[youtube]6UiUqN5WMUk[/youtube]

Little Richard, who was a good friend of Clark's during the early days of American Bandstandadded, "Anything Dick Clark touched, it became gold overnight...if he touched you, you were moving up."

There has been a large outpouring from celebrities in both the music and television spherespaying tribute to Clark since his death.

Legendary Singers on Dick Clark's Legacy (Youtube Videos)
Little Richard and Aretha Franklin discuss how they first met and how they view Dick Clark's legacy.
[youtube]ePDPNrEvPgU[/youtube]

The Source:
http://www.digitalspy.ca/celebrity/...mbered-by-aretha-franklin-little-richard.html

Last edited:
Dick Clark 2012 New Years Countdown with Justin Beiber, Carlos Santana, Nikki Minaj and more..
[youtube]fgOLRG3Sx-0[/youtube]

Larry King Live : 2004: Dick Clark: "We always had black guests"
[youtube]XuhXQR1pD_Q[/youtube]

Dick Clark 'Created Careers'
Celebrities and friends remember the late Dick Clark as a star-maker who was passionate about the music industry.
[youtube]mo5bLXPEnkk[/youtube]

Dick Clark Accepts the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 21st Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.
Gladys Knight Presents
[youtube]O-CF1ZpuMXk[/youtube]

Dick Clark Archive Interview with TV LEGENDS
Host and producer Dick Clark talks about his television career, "American Bandstand" and other productions. The interview was conducted by James Moll on July 29, 1999.
[youtube]BaL6oRPo1QE[/youtube]

Dick Clark was interviewed in 1999 for the Archive of American Television.
In this excerpt, he discusses New Year's Rockin' Eve, and how it first came about.
[youtube]InnKqhbYmds[/youtube]

Dick Clark Salute - 37th Annual Daytime Emmys Awards
Dick Clark is saluted at the 2010 Daytime Emmy Awards. Very emotional for Dick Clark in public !!
[youtube]rNtL-SKIL68[/youtube]

How Dick Clark Was Like Twitter And Facebook
Published on Apr 18, 2012 by forbes
Forbes reporter Zack O'Malley Greenburg looks back at Dick Clark and American Bandstand and sees an unusual comparison: Dick Clark was like Twitter.
[youtube]LHyPXyaBoRg[/youtube]

The Photo Gallery

showbiz_dick_clark_career_galllery_1.jpg

showbiz_dick_clark_career_galllery_4.jpg
showbiz_dick_clark_career_galllery_14.jpg

The Source:
http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/dick-clark

CNN.com

Last edited:
All the greats are leaving us...R.I.P Dick Clark and thanks for the memories. Rockin eve will not be the same without u! :(

All the greats are leaving us...R.I.P Dick Clark and thanks for the memories. Rockin eve will not be the same without u! :(

Yes it kind of seems that way doesn't it. Now Dick Clark is hosting the angelic version of American Bandstand with co-host Don Cornelius. They are hosting guests such as Michael, Whitney, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and many other great artists who are no longer here with us. Memories for sure.

Thanks you :flowers:
Its amazing how many of the Greats are indebted to Dick Clark.

:ciao: Silouette :flowers:

You are so sweet to come and visit this thread :heart:
Yes our boy was ALWAYS the ONE and true STAR to teach us to STAR GAZE !!

:clapping::pray::heart::pray::clapping:
It is my pleasure. And thank you. :)

Can't take my eyes off of him when he's doing his thing.
The J5 era. :heart:

Aw Tang Tang. :huggy:

MJ TinkerBell;3625984 said:

logo1.gif

• Article by: JON BREAM
•Star Tribune
•April 18, 2012 - 9:09 PM

Dick Clark picked up the phone and cut to the chase. "What is this interview for?" said the man who was involved with too many TV projects for a reporter to keep track of. He wanted to know the subject and the media in which this interview was to be presented.

When he learned it was "The American Music Awards" for a newspaper, he said to fire away and, in his answers, he proceeded to drop more expletives than Axl Rose at a Guns N' Roses concert.

That interview took place in 1995. I asked one of popular music's all-time most important tastemakers to revisit his infamous 1980 interview with Prince, our local hero, on "American Bandstand." Prince was just starting out. While he was exciting when he performed, he was shy and standoffish when trying to talk.

Clark asked the musician how many instruments he played. Prince answered, "Thousands."

Asked how long he'd been playing, Prince merely raised four fingers.

Clark remembered it vividly. "He didn't talk to me," the "Bandstand" host said 15 years after the fact. "I've always said that was one of the most difficult interviews I've ever conducted, and I've done 10,000 musician interviews."

Was it Prince? Was it Clark? Was it the moment?

"No, that's the nature of the man," said Clark, who had since worked with Prince a few times on "The American Music Awards."

"He's an extraordinary performer and not a particularly verbose one in public conversation. Though once you're off-camera, he's like everybody else -- very normal. It's like all of the mystery people in entertainment. Michael Jackson's not a communicator in public but in the privacy of a room, he's like everybody else: He talks. And Prince is the same. ... But I don't advise him on career moves."

Twitter: @jonbream • 612-673-1719

© 2011 Star Tribune

MJ ESTATE REMEMBERS DICK CLARK

Dick Clark was one of the world&#8217;s greatest showman and one of pop music&#8217;s most influential ambassadors. He made music history many times over. Bandstand brought black entertainers and their music into living rooms across America for the first time, and in Atlanta in 1958, he put on one of the first racially integrated pop music concerts, while the National Guard looked on. Michael and Dick had a very special relationship, and we think of him fondly and with gratitude.
John Branca, John McClain, Co-Executors, The Estate of Michael Jackson

http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/new...ers-dick-clark

Back