Captain EO in Disneyland Paris to CLOSE FOREVER

Reports: Captain EO to close at Disneyland Paris on 2nd April 2012
http://www.dlrptoday.com/2012/03/13...tively-at-disneyland-paris-on-2nd-april-2012/

This officially stands as unconfirmed information, but several sources, including one speaking directly to DLRP Today, have reported this evening that Captain EO will close once and for all at Disneyland Paris on 2nd April 2012. The final day of operation for the reborn Discoveryland 3-D cinema attraction will reportedly be Sunday, 1st April 2012 — ironically also the first day of the 20th Anniversary celebrations. News of the closure was apparently revealed to Cast Members at the attraction today, with no announcement of an imminent replacement.

Captain EO, a 1986 3-D film with special effects starring Michael Jackson, re-opened in its original locations at Epcot, Disneyland, Disneyland Park in Paris and Tokyo Disneyland throughout 2010 as a “tribute” to the musical star himself. It also provided a welcome stop-gap to replace the ageing Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, but its reopening was greeted more enthusiastically in some parts of the globe than others. Returning to Disneyland Paris on 12th June 2010, it enjoyed a welcome reception from a minority of fans but perhaps failed to ignite the interest of regular guests here as strongly as the American parks, where it had become much more a thing of pop culture legend.
A somewhat out-of-the-way location and a similarly dated neighbour in the original Star Tours, which remains in operation at Disneyland Paris, can’t have helped its success.

We noted last September that the attraction, already operating limited daily opening hours, was even beginning to remain closed completely on some quieter off-season days, as attendance clearly failed to meet requirements. Another potential factor in a closure could be the problems faced by its sponsor, Kodak, with Eastman Kodak Company having filed for bankruptcy in January, though the company remains an official partner and is ever-present at various other locations.

If the attraction’s Cast Members were hoping for a boost in attendance, they’ll now surely get it on the weekend of 1st April, when fans and Annual Passholders will descend on the resort for the premiere of Disney Dreams! and a grand, final farewell to Captain EO…

Wasnt there a poll somewhere, where most of the people had voted it to stay?

Yea, I remember a poll about this too. Was it to keep it or something? But this is sad.... very sad.

Please keep the attraction going, it was way ahead of it's time.

What!? They've closed Captain EO down before and now they're gonna do it again!?

That pisses me off!

I think that poll was to keep Captain EO in Disneyland, California. I thought it would have had an even higher attendance in Europe than in the USA. When I was in Disneyworld (florida) last December there were a lot of European fans at the show.

I travelled to Paris in August 2010 just to see Captain EO and it was so worth the money! I'm sad to hear these news :( I hope this doesn't become a trend amongst the theme parks.. I'm going to L.A. this summer and will of course attend the Global MJ Disney Day, I'm looking forward to seeing Captain EO again :heart:

I am so sad to hear that captin eo will no longer be at disneyland :(

:( That's sad, hope the it remains for a long long time at the Florida and Tokyo parks.

I can't believe this, I was planning to go to Disney Paris in May so I could see Captain EO.
Why would they just close it now? I can't believe I'm not going to be able to see it. :(

3718d1267544357-return-captain-eo-eo2.jpg

captain_eo_tribute.jpg

Captain%2BEO%2B-%2BTDL%2B%252829%2529.jpg

Captain-EO-Audience-Guests.jpg

eo_night1997ww.jpg

CaptainEO8.jpg

eo-merchandise.jpg

2_10_dl_01500.jpg

Ai88BmACEAA_7Td.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Oh my goodness. They shouldn't close Captain Eo anywhere. It re-opened here in Florida in July 2010 for a 'limited run' but no announcement about when it will stop.

It seems it does not have many viewers so they are closing it.

Oh this is VERY disappointing. I was planning my first trip to Paris this Summer on the idea of riding this again for the first time in 19 years! Now I'll have to look further afield...

Can anyone confirm which theme parks in the world have Captain EO and if they've announced how long it will remain?

Back