The origin of the word "J@cko" is racist!

HIStory

Proud Member
I have just read this on the VindicateMJ blog:

“JACKO ” the media-perpetuated nickname for Michael, was not only Disrespectful and Dismissive, but it is also a term with a racist history. MICHAEL HATED IT. According to the ” Oxford English Dictionary ” the word ” JACKO ” dates back to the mid – 1600′s as a Flemish approximation of the Bantu word ” monkey. ” By the early 1800′s Jacko Maccacco, a famous fighting monkey, could be found on display in Westminster Pit, a notorious London arena for dog fights. The word has become part of the common vernacular and it eventually became a Racist shorthand for Blacks. The tabloids successfully wrestled away the spotlight from his gargantuan talent and soul-reaching music to move its focus to what he understandably deplored as nonsense. The shape of Michael’s nose became a pervasive, adolescent-like fixation for the media.”

I'm pretty sure it was totally conscious from the British media to start referring Michael like that. They knew what they were doing and when you read comments like this by British tabloid editor, Kelvin MacKenzie, it will only confirm the suspicion:

“You just don’t understand the readers, do you, eh? He’s the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to send the wogs [blacks] back, buy his poxy council house, he’s afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn’t want to hear about that stuff (serious news).[5]“

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_MacKenzie

^ Just noted in one of pace's posts a few days ago in the chandler thread that the term jack* was racist. To be honest i had no idea of its origins, i just assumed mj didn't like the term because it was preceded by whack*. The tabs do tend to use shorthand for everyone's name eg becks for david beckham and fergie for hrh duchess of york. Michael Jackson was such an ordinary name for such an extraordinary star that the fact they would use some other shorthand for him was to be expected. Anyway, far be it for me to defend the tabs on this, esp the likes of kelvin mackenzie who glories in his politically incorrect views so maybe it was deliberate in his case. However i did notice in another thread a poster up in arms about adele using the name jack* for mj - i hope we don't all assume that anyone who uses the term jack* is a racist, it is a v common nickname for him in the uk and not particularly in a perjorative way.

I didn't know about its racist origins either, that's why I posted this thread.

I do think often people (like Adele) use it ignorantly as a kind of nick name. I don't get mad at Adele for using it because it's obvious from the context that she didn't mean harm and she didn't mean to mock Michael. Actually many people in my country use the name Jacko as a nick name, without malice because they think it's just that - a nick name. They are not aware of the fact that that Michael hated it or that it derives from the derogatory term "Wacko Jacko" - and much less of its racist origins.

However I do think the British tabloids who first coined the term were completely aware of what they were doing and the racist undertone. Wasn't it Sun who first coined the term? And this Kelvin MacKenzie was the editor of Sun between 1981 and 1994. With his cynical views about serving the racism of his target group that was qouted above. So I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that they started to use this word referring to Michael.

Hmm, my initial thought was that presuming that tabloid editors like MacKenzie have knowledge of 19th century history is giving them way too much credit. But English is not my native language, so I have no idea how well-known the origins of the term 'Jacko' are.

By the way, wasn't the nickname 'Jacko' used positively in the press at first, before the tabloids added ******' to it? I remember seeing articles from the 80s posted on a fan forum in which the term Jacko seems to be used affectionately.

^ Yes, the racist origins of jack* are not common knowledge in the uk but it is hard to give someone like kelvin mackenzie the benefit of the doubt so maybe we'll just say the jury is out on him being aware! He's still being grossly offensive re mj on the odd tv programme he's on, and lets not forget his favourite protege,piers morgan, who's state side now who's also no friend to mj. Anway, since the hacking enquiry has hit the uk, kelvin's been a little low profile for some reason!

it doesn't surprise me
dry.gif

I didn't know about this, but now the name is even more revolting to me. I don't know whether tabloid writers are highly knowledgeable about the history of the English language so I'm not sure if they picked that name on purpose, but it's definitely possible. And there's no doubt in my mind that racism played a large part in the media's treatment of Michael. He was a powerful black man, and some people were threatened by that, and that's why they felt the need to ridicule and dismiss everything about him, his talent and success.

I didn't know this but it doesn't suprise me and I wouldn't put past the media that they knew exactley what they were doing, at least most of them....

It's an interesting minefield, isn't it? On one hand you want people to be aware, on the hand you cannot blame people for not having internalized something that they had no reason to internalize. For example, I've seen the the term "Jack*" being used on German fan forums- where a lot of language barriers are also standing in the way. A lot of those fans rely upon translations of various interviews etc- so to a number of them it is virtually impossible to even 'feel' the whole term the way it would sound and feel to most English speakers. Many are not able to understand the Barbara Walters interview for example.
Also, look up the show "Animaniacs" and the characters of "Wakko, Jakko and Dot'. Is it any surprise one doesn't appreciate to be turned into a 'running gag'- besides it being of racist origin?

And I do think that certain media outlets very much relished in the idea of presenting you the 'uber freak' as they felt.
First of all, they finally painted the picture of the deviant black male who's always on the hunt- this time the target are children! I mean, it's been a long time since it was acceptable to accuse men of being rapists just because they were black- so the ante had to be upped.
And in order not to look like a typical racist lynch mob- what happened? First Michael was pointed out as a black man- you know, just in case you 'just' thought of him as "Michael Jackson", and not as some file in a drawer.
To 'soften' the racism blows the media declared a known vitiligo sufferer as being 'the pe*o ashamed of his blackness'- man, did anyone ever project their own messed up views more???
The goal was clearly to strip him of any co-humanity that people all across the globe felt. If you don't perceive someone as human... *gates wide open*
That in itself is already the racism in itself as a number of members of mankind's family were not viewed as being 'real humans'. You don't even need a racist moniker to see what the thinking of a racist is.

Anyone perceived as 'subhuman'. And the list is long. Take the 'the bitch' (ever needed a clearer example of why a human female is being called that?)for example- that list is practically endless. Racism, misogyny and hatred of anyone 'other' than oneself all function on the same basic level.

Take the term 'boy', for example. To most students of English it means simply that- 'boy'. For a lot of people though 'boy' (very much justifiably so!) also has other connotations within the framework of slavery and segregation. What do you do? Expect other people to internalize those sentiments toward the word 'boy'? Just explain it? Observe the context?

Language is never a static thing. Not only did Michael object to the term- which in itself is enough reason not to use it- but language isn't a dead thing.

I think Michael and his suffering are a good way to seed the seedlings of good will. I would think that a great number of people would refrain from using that moniker if they were aware of the larger context of de-humanizing a human being- and how this was done to Michael.
Those that still use it after being explained- are beyond help.

But I think even Michael's suffering can be used toward a larger goal, explaining how the stripping of humans in the media is not okay, whether they are called Michael Jackson, 'anchor babies', 'illegals', 'aliens', 'Japs' and God knows what else. (very US specific terms, but every country has their own derogatory slang toward people that are being perceived as subhuman- which is why it very easy to apply that world wide within the linguistic framework of each language. Just think of any immigrant group that are being labeled in your own country- same principle.)

Last edited:
Great post, Pace!

The goal was clearly to strip him of any co-humanity that people all across the globe felt. If you don't perceive someone as human... *gates wide open*

Exactly. Unfortunately I'm not so optimistic about human nature as you are here:

I would think that a great number of people would refrain from using that moniker if they were aware of the larger context of de-humanizing a human being- and how this was done to Michael.

I think many people have an instinct to bully those who they feel are vulnerable. Michael was a victim of this despisable human instinct.

Back