Medical Board Files More Charges Against Conrad Murray

myosotis

Proud Member
By William Heisel
July 11, 2012

With Justin Bieber ticketed for dodging paparazzi and Katie Holmes awarded primary custody, the gossip press can be forgiven for missing the latest in the case of the doctor who overdosed Michael Jackson.

Conrad Murray has been slapped with a new round of allegations from the Medical Board of California. The timing may seem odd. Jackson died in June 2009, after taking anesthesia drugs prescribed and administered by Murray. Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to four years in prison in November 2011. The medical board filed its first round of charges against Murray in February 2012. This new amended accusation is dated June 27, 2012.

In the accusation against Murray filed in February, there were two causes for action: conviction of a crime and failure to maintain adequate records. As I wrote at the time, the document seemed like fill-in-the-blank boilerplate, with more space devoted to the state code Murray violated than the details of the violations.

The amended accusation still includes the conviction and records violations, but it adds “gross negligence-inappropriate administration of dangerous drugs,” “repeated negligent acts-inappropriate administration of dangerous drugs,” and “incompetence-inappropriate administration of dangerous drugs.”

The new charges are much more detailed and provide a full explanation of just how far Murray strayed outside the standards of practice when administering the anesthetic propofol – and other drugs – to Jackson. It breaks down the “gross negligence” violation into four parts. Here are quotes from each:

Excessive administration of dangerous drugs/sedatives:

Propofol is not indicated for the induction of sleep and/or to treat insomnia. It is strictly indicated for moderate or deep sedation in a monitored hospital setting, or an accredited outpatient facility that meets the requirements set forth in Health and Safety Code sections 1248.1 and 1248.15. … [Murray] used dangerous drugs to sedate patient M.J. at his home for the purpose of inducing sleep. On more than 40 occasions between April 2009 and June 25, 2009, patient M.J. was sedated with a combination of benzodiazepines and propofol.

Inadequate monitoring:

The patient is required to have a continuous oxygen delivery system, continuous cardiac monitoring, a continuous intravenous access line established, continuous pulse oximetry monitoring, and continuous blood pressure monitoring, all with audible alert systems. In addition, the following operable equipment is necessary in the room and must be ready for use: oxygen, suction, oral and nasopharyngeal airways, a crash cart with backboard, appropriate emergency resuscitation drugs, and a defibrillator. … [Murray’s] failure to secure appropriate equipment for patient monitoring and his failure to maintain emergency equipment and medications is an extreme departure from the standard of care. Furthermore, no competent physician or surgeon would sedate a patient without ensuring that the appropriate patient monitoring and equipment is readily available.

Failure to maintain medical records:

When a patient is administered medications for sedation and/or anesthesia the standard of care requires that the physician maintain medical records detailing the care rendered to the patient. Documentation of sedation and anesthesia is required for the provision of good medical care and quality assurance.

The board sums it up this way:

[Murray] failed to appropriately monitor patient M.J. He abandoned his patient by leaving M.J. unattended while he was under the influence of heavy sedatives. In addition, he administered propofol and other dangerous drugs to patient M.J. in a home setting without appropriate medical equipment and staff to monitor the maintenance of patient M.J.’s hemodynamics, and did not continuously monitor the patient’s vital signs.

All of this happened in June 2009. Since that time, Murray has been tried, convicted and sent to prison. Murray’s medical license was suspended in Texas and has been allowed to expire in Nevada and Hawaii. Yet, the California medical board is still months – if not years – away from revoking Murray’s license, assuming it does not end up in some settlement agreement with him. It’s still in the charging phase, while the criminal prosecutors and other state boards have gone all the way through the process and moved on.

In March, after the board made its first accusation against Murray, I asked the board’s Director of Public Affairs, Dan Wood, what took so long. He said that the board was waiting for the criminal proceedings to finish before filing charges. He wrote:

To put it in simple terms, once a door is closed and locked no matter who closed and locked it, to rush to repeat the action is redundant. Basically our action now will be the equivalent of placing a sign on the door saying, “This door is now closed and locked officially.”

I wrote him this week to ask whether the door was now being reopened and, if so, what the board hoped to accomplish. I’ll let you know if he responds.

http://www.reportingonhealth.org/20...s-against-conrad-murray-michael-jackson-death

Good! I hope they keep on it and make sure Murray NEVER practices medicine again, then hopefully other states he practiced in will follow suit.

This is why I don't understand how the media and alot of the public like to coddle this guy Murray and blame Michael for absolutely everything that happened on the day of his death. It's obvious that Murray has to shoulder some responsibility for Michael's death even with all the talk that goes on about Michael asking for the Propofol. Murray made the choice to continue working for Michael without knowing everything he needed to know about Michael's medical history. Murray made the choice to not have or keep medical records. Murray made the choice to not have life-saving equipment. And even worse, Murray made the choice to leave Michael alone under the influence of Propofol. How can anybody, regardless of how they feel about Michael, condone that kind of behavior from a doctor, whose job it is to do their best at helping people stay alive? And there is no excuse for a doctor doing anything that steps outside the standard of care. Period.

Last edited:
I am so glad they spelled out his violations, because Dr. White was trying to say on the stand that doctors cannot document during a crisis, and a whole bunch of nonsense all to help Muarry win. He was also saying that all the regulations which Walgren listed were only guidelines. In fact the board's findings are consistent with what Dr. Shaffer said and maybe we should send a copy of this to White to educate him. Based on White's evidence we can tell that he has a price.

It is good that this came up now right after Muarry gave his interviews to the press via his attorney. Muarry should learn to keep a low profile.

Good!!!! karma is definately getting murray right in the butt and he so deserves it

I still don't understand why California is taking this long to revoke his license...the one place where he actually committed the crime...but it's nice to see once he get's out of jail he's going to be dealing with this mess. I'm just waiting for it because 2-4 years in jail is obviously not enough as justice.

It's good to hear, maybe he will never be allowed to practice medicine again but I really wish some of these things had been made into extra charges in court!

about time cali did something. but considering the way mj was and is treated i wont be surprised if he ends up practicing again

Just reading his violations makes me cry because all of that was unnecessary. MJ needed help in the worse way and no one did a damn thing to help him.

MJ needed help in the worse way and no one did a damn thing to help him.

(I'm following you. LOL!)

If I recall correctly, Ortega tried to do something, but was rebuffed by the "good doctor." Didn't The Murderer get all up in Ortega's face and basically tell him to "mind his own business," (or words to the effect). How do you combat that when you are not only being scolded by the doctor, but the patient is an adult.

I have a feeling that Ortega would have kept fighting, had he had enough time to do so.

As to The Murderer's license to practice, I can only pray that he is never afforded the rags-to-riches story he so desires. Upon his release, I'm not sure how the American media will respond, since his "documentary" was such a bust. On the other hand, folks in other parts of the world, being that Michael is still so global, may give him a chance or chances to tell his story.

And that is a thought that continues to haunt me, since Mother basically handed The Murderer a carte blanche opportunity to tell his story and to make money doing so the minute she dropped the restitution part of the case.

Last edited:
The Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
The California attorney general's office has accused Dr. Conrad Murray of incompetence and negligence in a bid to permanently revoke his medical license.

Murray, the physician convicted of felony involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 death of Michael Jackson, has already had his license suspended.

Suspended licenses can be renewed, but revoked licenses cannot.

The Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/Np9Aq5) says the attorney general's office added the new allegations in an ongoing Medical Board inquiry last month.

Murray's lawyer Valerie Wass said the doctor will contest the new charges.

The 59-year-old Murray was convicted and jailed in November after prosecutors said he abandoned medical judgment by complying with the pop star's requests for a surgical anesthetic to help him sleep.

He has appealed the conviction.

---

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...apusmichaeljacksondoctor.html?prmid=head_more

So murrays licence expired in nevada and hawaii. so whats to stop him from unexpiring it! when he gets out. are the boards there even bothering to do anything interms of taking it away

If I recall correctly, Ortega tried to do something, but was rebuffed by the "good doctor." Didn't The Murderer get all up in Ortega's face and basically tell him to "mind his own business," (or words to the effect). How do you combat that when you are not only being scolded by the doctor, but the patient is an adult.

Yeh i think that is what kenny said

All I will say is that Murray should be completely held accountable for his actions. I do not feel he deserves to get near another patient for as long as he is on the planet. Reading these additional charges brings back some strong emotions like sadness and anger becuase hearing all this reminded me that Michael would still be here if Murray upheld the oath that he took about saving lives. SMH...:no:

Murray, the physician convicted of felony involuntary manslaughter in the 2009 death of Michael Jackson, has already had his license suspended.
Suspended licenses can be renewed, but revoked licenses cannot.

Murray's lawyer Valerie Wass said the doctor will contest the new charges.

I think Cali med board is doing the right thing for pursuing revoking his license, if it is that he can renew his licence if it is only expired or suspended. Cali med board is going all the way. Are Texas, Nevada and Hawaii med boards pursuing revoking too? Murray's licence was expired and suspended, so is there is a chance he could renew his license in those places?

Of course he is going to contest the new charges, he is so much of psycho that he doesn't understand what he has done!

He can apply to have his expired licenses renewed, but if his license is revoked by California an affective case can be made to not renew the license. Normally doctors in this situation hope that the licensing board in a new state is too trifling to do a good back ground check, but with his high profile I don't think he can count on that.

but with his high profile I don't think he can count on that.

I think murray feels since there are alot of mj haters out there they would be willing to help him out and he is totally arrogant enough to think that way

I think murray feels since there are alot of mj haters out there they would be willing to help him out and he is totally arrogant enough to think that way

I agree. I think Murray has tried to take advantage of people's hatred for Michael from the very beginning in order to try to get away with what happened. Sure, he was convicted. But he's still trying to hide behind Michael's sour public image in the minds of some people to make himself look like an innocent victim of some big injustice. It's no wonder to me that Murray has never apologized for how he messed up and then failed so miserably to save Michael's life and that Murray acts arrogant as heck. Why would he feel any remorse for Michael's death when everybody who hated Michael thinks of Murray as some saint? It's so disgusting.

Last edited:
I agree. I think Murray has tried to take advantage of people's hatred for Michael from the very beginning in order to try to get away with what happened, in my opinion. Sure, he was convicted. But he's still trying to hide behind Michael's sour public image in the minds of some people to make himself look like an innocent victim of some big injustice. It's no wonder to me that Murray has never apologized for how he messed up and then failed so miserably to save Michael's life and that Murray acts arrogant as heck. Why would he feel any remorse for Michael's death when everybody who hated Michael thinks of Murray as some saint? It's so disgusting.

Excatly! and it makes me sick in the stomach to think these ppl think of murray as a saint, what if murray did the same excat thing to their loved one that he did to mj. Could they really forgive him & still think of him as a saint? i can bet they would not!

Last edited:
well he had a public trial and I don't know of a sensible medical board who would ever allow this fool to practice any form of medicine again. Us MJ fans will definitely have to call, hound and harrass the medical boards whereever Murray ends up especially if he has the gaul to reapply for it.

well he had a public trial and I don't know of a sensible medical board who would ever allow this fool to practice any form of medicine again. Us MJ fans will definitely have to call, hound and harrass the medical boards whereever Murray ends up especially if he has the gaul to reapply for it.

As much as its nice to have mj fans like doing everything we can to stop murray from practing medicine again but i cant help but think if we harrased the medicial boards they would think we are being too :crazy:

murry is being investigated by abc's legal team for buying a plaque with Top Doctor's Award Cardiologist he paid between 199-500 dollars for it.

murry is being investigated by abc's legal team for buying a plaque with Top Doctor's Award Cardiologist he paid between 199-500 dollars for it.

So this is another new lawsuit against murray now?

^^It does not seem like a lawsuit but only an investigation by ABC legal team. ABC need to investigate their own people first.

Back