Michael Jackson's hat on TradeMe

bluesky

Proud Member
7484694.jpg
Jamie Olsen / Trademe​
MJ'S FAMOUS HAT: Jamie Olsen listed a TradeMe auction for what he says is a hat straight from the head of Michael Jackson.

7484221.jpg
Getty Images​

PIECE OF HISTORY: Jamie Olsen says his caught Michael Jackson's hat when he threw it from the stage during his HIStory world tour concert in Auckland in 1996.

How much would you pay for the King of Pop's hat? Apparently not $52,000.

Carterton man Jamie Olsen has re-listed a TradeMe auction for what he says is a hat straight from the head of Michael Jackson, after it failed to sell for thereserve price of $52,000.

While one bidder did take a punt at the starting price of $45,000 on a previous auction, it was not enough to own the piece of pop memorabilia.

Mr Olsen said his brother Danny Gay caught the hat when Jackson threw it from the stage during his HIStory world tour concert in Auckland in 1996.

The moment was captured in a video clip of the concert, which is now on YouTube.
The hat was passed on to Olsen when Gay died of cancer four years ago, leaving behind daughters Jade, 12, and Jasmine, 11.
With the hat languishing in the back of his closet, Mr Olsen decided last month that he would try his hand at selling it on TradeMe to raise some funds for Jade and Jasmine's future.

"It would be a good start for their lives if I could put some good money away for them through selling it."
He tried to sell the hat once before - prior to Michael Jackson's death - and it attracted two bids of around the $40,000 mark, but Mr Olsen felt it was worth more.

"So I just sort of held on to it, but it's just been sitting in a box in the wardrobe. It's not any use to me in there."
The auction attracted a number of questions on why Mr Olsen wasn't selling through an auction house such as Christie's or Sotheby's if he felt it was worth so much.

He had now contacted Christie's in the United States to investigate selling the hat through a memorabilia auction.
However the next challenge would be getting the hat certified as a genuine piece worn by Michael Jackson.
"I've had people asking if I can prove it's actually his hat, which I can't in a way because I've only got the video clip of my brother catching it."

Mr Olsen was confident that if he could get it certified and listed in the United States, a collector would stump up big funds to own it.
"Over there people go crazy over MJ. If you get someone that has got a lot of money, well then the amount I'm asking isn't really a hell of a lot."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/7484375/Michael-Jacksons-hat-on-TradeMe

I'm surprised at the expected value, as this is not a signed item. Good luck to him....

WHY in the world would a fan want to sell the hat that Michael threw into the audience...any fan would want to hold onto it...I mean ..really now...smdh

The auction ended about 12 hours before this post, and it still didn't sold. Also, to save you a trip to youtube:

Back