Announcement From The Estate Of Michael Jackson / Second announcement

Gaz

Owner And Founder
Staff member
Country
United-Kingdom
The Estate wants Michael’s fans to know that a number of items that were in the possession of Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins - currently part of the exhibition for Michael’s book, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson - will NOT be sold in an upcoming December 2 auction.

Michael Bush agreed with the Estate that some of the most iconic pieces needed to be preserved as part of Michael’s legacy and, following the conclusion of the exhibition, they will be delivered to the Estate.

Bush made this announcement on his Facebook page yesterday:

“Friends, I have been profoundly touched by the outpouring of love and admiration for Michael Jackson that I have been able to witness during the launch of the book King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson. The book features the many fashions of Michael Jackson that I had the great pleasure of working on or creating during my almost 25 years of working with the greatest entertainer of all time. Although some of the items that Dennis and I have collected over the years will be auctioned by Julien’s Auctions on Sunday, December 2nd at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, I have decided to gift several of the costumes originally marked for auction to the Estate of Michael Jackson so that they can be preserved by the Estate as part of Michael’s legacy for many years to come. I recognize the historical significance of these costumes and even though some of them were personalized and gifted to me by Michael Jackson, I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to share these items with the fans with the recent exhibitions and some of the items are to be part of the permanent collection of the Estate.” - Michael Bush, fashion designer and author of The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson.

If you want to read the full statement on his page, it can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/michael.l.bush.35.

Regards

The Michael Jackson Estate

----------------------------------

Second announcement sent on November 11

Hello:

Michael Jackson was always giving items to friends, fans, sick children he visited and others he met throughout his life. As a result, the Estate does not own all Michael Jackson costumes and/or other pieces. Many people now possess different Michael Jackson items, and those items are the property of those individuals; the Estate cannot control what private citizens do with their own property. But all of Michael's fans can rest assured that while the Estate may not have every single item ever worn by Michael as a result of his own generosity, the Estate does have more than enough costumes and fashion accessories along with all Michael's other possessions to enable the Estate to create a museum/exhibition for fans to enjoy and to honor Michael appropriately. Any fans who attended the Michael Jackson Fan Fest exhibit in Las Vegas last year saw that. Everything that was part of that exhibition was and remains Estate property and there is more property that was not displayed. Although it is premature to do so now, the Estate looks forward to sharing its future plans with then fans at the appropriate time.

Sincerely,

Re: Announcement From The Estate Of Michael Jackson

I am glad that he AGREED with the estate about this. It was the right thing to do. Now we could wait with anticipation for a time when the estate will present their permanent collection. Knowing the estate, they will take their time and make something tasteful.

This is very nice. Thank you for posting Gaz. I have the book and it is truely stunning, but the designs and clothes that Michael wore are even more stunning. :better:

Although some of the items that Dennis and I have collected over the years will be auctioned by Julien’s Auctions on Sunday, December 2nd at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, I have decided to gift several of the costumes originally marked for auction to the Estate of Michael Jackson so that they can be preserved by the Estate as part of Michael’s legacy for many years to come. I recognize the historical significance of these costumes and even though some of them were personalized and gifted to me by Michael Jackson, I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to share these items with the fans with the recent exhibitions and some of the items are to be part of the permanent collection of the Estate.” - Michael Bush, fashion designer and author of The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson.

I am so... pleased to read this WONDERFUL news!!!!:clap:
:dance2:

Last edited:
Gaz;3734841 said:
The Estate wants Michael’s fans to know that a number of items that were in the possession of Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins - currently part of the exhibition for Michael’s book, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson - will NOT be sold in an upcoming December 2 auction.

Michael Bush agreed with the Estate that some of the most iconic pieces needed to be preserved as part of Michael’s legacy and, following the conclusion of the exhibition, they will be delivered to the Estate.

Bush made this announcement on his Facebook page yesterday:

“Friends, I have been profoundly touched by the outpouring of love and admiration for Michael Jackson that I have been able to witness during the launch of the book King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson. The book features the many fashions of Michael Jackson that I had the great pleasure of working on or creating during my almost 25 years of working with the greatest entertainer of all time. Although some of the items that Dennis and I have collected over the years will be auctioned by Julien’s Auctions on Sunday, December 2nd at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, I have decided to gift several of the costumes originally marked for auction to the Estate of Michael Jackson so that they can be preserved by the Estate as part of Michael’s legacy for many years to come. I recognize the historical significance of these costumes and even though some of them were personalized and gifted to me by Michael Jackson, I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to share these items with the fans with the recent exhibitions and some of the items are to be part of the permanent collection of the Estate.” - Michael Bush, fashion designer and author of The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson.

If you want to read the full statement on his page, it can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/michael.l.bush.35.

Regards

Thanks Michael Bush :angel:

Thanks MJ Estate :clapping:

Oh and Thanks Gaz for posting this indeed Wonderful :clap: news...

It's all about HONOURING and PRESERVING Michael's legacy, right :cheeky:

Absolutely wonderful news....and very interesting wording ('were in the possession of'). Not 'owned by'?

I hope that the Estate might buy more of the key items?

Well done estate!!

Glad the estate has done this. Shame bush didnt do it off his own back.yeah the possession wording is intresting

yeah, come to think about it "possession" is an interesting word choice. Also on the second paragraph they say Bush agreed with the Estate making it sound like this was an idea that was presented by the Estate.

It's always a possibility that this wasn't a voluntary act and a negotiation / settlement happened between Bush, MJ Estate and Julien's after Estate might have threatened to challenge ownership. Win or lose that could have derailed the auction.

Or it could be a voluntary choice by Michael Bush.

Who knows really.

Yeah i agree. makes me wonder if something happened one way or the other

That is really good news. I would hate for Michael's costumes, such iconic parts of history, some symbolizing entire eras of music to be spread all about the world. I have faith that one day there will be a Michael Jackson museum of sorts (similar to Elvis' Graceland) and I look forward to seeing these items together later on in life.

It because of moves like this it's hard to think the worse of the estate. Their actions continuously tells us they are looking out for MJ's legacy.

It is good that they used the word possession, because it implies that having possession of something does not mean you own it. That is something many people associated with Michael do not understand.

Gaz;3734841 said:
The Estate wants Michael’s fans to know that a number of items that were in the possession of Michael Bush and Dennis Tompkins - currently part of the exhibition for Michael’s book, The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson - will NOT be sold in an upcoming December 2 auction. ...............................

Michael Bush agreed with the Estate that some of the most iconic pieces needed to be preserved as part of Michael’s legacy and, following the conclusion of the exhibition, they will be delivered to the Estate......Regards
Thanks Gaz for posting this.
I agree. The WORDING of this opens the door for SPECULATION.
Was there an intervention by the estate to stop Bush after much coaxing & arm wrestling
or
did Bush suddendly had a epiphany and decided to donate that to the estate voluntarily?

:ph34r:

It seems someone had articles that did not belong to him.

The wording caught my attention too, but then again, Branca wrote forwarding to his book. I wouldn't think Branca would write it if there was ownership argument going on between them.

Yes and the statement form Bush is part of the Estate-statement and Buch says he gifted it to the Estate.

^ I think it's just a case of the estate staying classy and diplomatic. Like with thome back in 09, allowing him to offer back the $5m to the estate seemingly of his own violition. Somethng is up, it's so late in the day for this climbdown of offering some of the auction items to the estate to happen, but if the estate and bush want to avoid unpleasantness i guess we have to respect that.

Bubs said:
The wording caught my attention too, but then again, Branca wrote forwarding to his book. I wouldn't think Branca would write it if there was ownership argument going on between them.

I would say the book is a separate issue to the auction. Maybe the estate was unaware of the extent of the stuff that was going into the auction under bush's name. Or maybe the estate was just galvanised into this action by fans' protesting, perhaps all their attention was all taken up by the family shenanigans and bad25 and they weren't paying attention to bush, idk.

It seems someone had articles that did not belong to him.

exactly...and THAT is why I question the rest of the stuff he has in his possession. I mean I totally agree that Michael "gifted" alot of things to Mr. Bush...but at the same time I just cannot help this feeling that I have that MB has things that he is NOT the rightful owner of. And some of those pieces are worth quite a bit of money. I am SO glad that they Estate has stepped in. Now I just hope we don't see Michael's Gold suit from the History Tour on that auction block because that is ripping me apart inside just knowing it is in the catalog and as Ivy pointed out in another thread it was ALSO in the 2009 auction that was stopped. I swear I smell something fishy with that.

I'm just a bit confused, can the History Gold pants outfit from the 2009 auction be a second one? Surely, Michael had more than one. Anyways, something wasn't right with MB claiming to own everything he had. I don't doubt any outfit signed by Michael to MB was a gift. However, not all the outfits in the catalog are signed.

I'm just a bit confused, can the History Gold pants outfit from the 2009 auction be a second one?

yes it is. In the book it's written at every stage costume had at least 2 copies or even 3 at some instances.

I'm just a bit confused, can the History Gold pants outfit from the 2009 auction be a second one? Surely, Michael had more than one. Anyways, something wasn't right with MB claiming to own everything he had. I don't doubt any outfit signed by Michael to MB was a gift. However, not all the outfits in the catalog are signed.

yes it is. In the book it's written at every stage costume had at least 2 copies or even 3 at some instances.
Yes there was more than one costume made. Reasons could include: wardrobe malfuntions weight loss or gain or a spare when sending one off the be cleaned etc. etc. Here are some duplicates the estate has and other costumes and items in their possesion shown at the MJ Fan Fest http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...uction/page8?p=3735807&viewfull=1#post3735807

That's what is bothering me. Bush himself said that not all clothes were gift to him, so I wonder the circumstances of the not signed outfits. Did Michael trust Bush to keep the clothes for a future use (museum or whatever)? Or did Bush kept duplicates of the clothes to himself?

I'm really glad the estate got involved and a deal was reached.

I have to say that I think the estate may have paid for the items because at the end of the book, Bush talks about how he and Tompkins couldn't get any work in the industry after 2005. They were cast as designers who could only make military jackets and has beens, their time has passed. I am happy if the estate did this but to me if they didn't step forward all these items would be up for auction.

I would say the book is a separate issue to the auction. Maybe the estate was unaware of the extent of the stuff that was going into the auction under bush's name. Or maybe the estate was just galvanised into this action by fans' protesting, perhaps all their attention was all taken up by the family shenanigans and bad25 and they weren't paying attention to bush, idk.

I think so too. There is the book; and there is the auction, and Bush presented the project as though he was selling objects he owned. The estate could have dealt with this in a classy way, because even though I think Bush misrepresented ownership of the items, I do not think he wanted a fight or squabble. He seems to be a quiet guy who respected Michael's art, so he agreed with giving back to the estate what belonged to the estate and moved on. I also think that some of Michael's items that Bush has, the estate allowed him to keep it.

Captain about the Bush comment that he and his partner could not get work after 05 and were cast as has beens, that is not Michael's fault. This is the nature of the industry and Bush and his partner should have been aware of it. It was up to them to engage in other contracts while working with Michael, so that when Michael was not touring, or when he took a break, which happens with any artist, they would have other jobs to work on. The same thing happens to actors who play a single role for many years. They begin to be typecast by the industry, and to solve this problem, they take other roles while on break from their main series. Now if the estate had to pay Bush for items that did not belong to him, because Bush couldn't find work, that would be ridiculous. The estate is not a Society for the Relief of those who did not invest their millions when they had it, neither is it in business to take care of misguided employees who are now eligible for social security.

Last edited:

well if there are all these duplicate costumes then I guess Michael had to of worn all 3 of them right? And there is noway for US to know which one he may of or may not of worn for the History Tour. Chances are the one in the auction could be one Michael never even wore..or ..it could be the ONLY one he wore...there just is noway for us the fans to know. I dont want to see THESE pants ANYWHERE up for sale...I want to see them in a museum where they belong.!! Michael dieing is BAD ENOUGH...its hard ENOUGH for us to handle...but now they are selling or autioning his stuff away...THAT is not easy on fans..the least they could do is NOT auction off THESE Gold outfits....sigh....they just don't get it and they never will!!

Thunder even that fact that Michael had more than one does not even change my view. I find it strange that Michael is wearing the same costume night after night with all that sweat. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that if on Monday he sweats up the outfit and it is taken to be cleaned, wouldn't they use outfit #2 the next night and then go back to outfit #1 the night after that? I mean this is not the Opera where you stand still posing while belting out some great sounds. This is a guy jumping, walking, running, bending, throwing himself down, and getting excited (wink, wink), so why would they only use 1 outfit for a whole tour and keep #2 in case there is theft. Some items were done in duplicates, and some in triplicates, so at the end of the whole History tour Michael used only one pair of Gold Pants? I mean, the pants are incredible, but you want to tell me that incredible pants do not get dirty. The next scenario is that after a show, they rush the pants out to be cleaned to have it back the next day. Is this what was done? He finishes the show at 10pm and at 10:01pm they rush the pants or any sweaty, dirty item out to an all night place to have it cleaned?

I could understand using 1 outfit like the one he opens the show with, because he takes off the jacket. Still, if I ask you to make me 3 outfits and I use 1, does that mean that YOU own the other 2 because I did not use them? Then, when you help me take off my shoes and clothes does that mean YOU keep them and say they are yours?

Thunder even that fact that Michael had more than one does not even change my view. I find it strange that Michael is wearing the same costume night after night with all that sweat. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that if on Monday he sweats up the outfit and it is taken to be cleaned, wouldn't they use outfit #2 the next night and then go back to outfit #1 the night after that? I mean this is not the Opera where you stand still posing while belting out some great sounds. This is a guy jumping, walking, running, bending, throwing himself down, and getting excited (wink, wink), so why would they only use 1 outfit for a whole tour and keep #2 in case there is theft. Some items were done in duplicates, and some in triplicates, so at the end of the whole History tour Michael used only one pair of Gold Pants? I mean, the pants are incredible, but you want to tell me that incredible pants do not get dirty. The next scenario is that after a show, they rush the pants out to be cleaned to have it back the next day. Is this what was done? He finishes the show at 10pm and at 10:01pm they rush the pants or any sweaty, dirty item out to an all night place to have it cleaned?

I could understand using 1 outfit like the one he opens the show with, because he takes off the jacket. Still, if I ask you to make me 3 outfits and I use 1, does that mean that YOU own the other 2 because I did not use them? Then, when you help me take off my shoes and clothes does that mean YOU keep them and say they are yours?

I agree...there are too many outfits here for all of them to be called "gifts" some yes...all...I don't think so. I find it hard to believe that Michael "gifted" MB with 3 of the same outfit..it just doesn't make sense. one maybe...but not 3 alike.

I agree...there are too many outfits here for all of them to be called "gifts" some yes...all...I don't think so. I find it hard to believe that Michael "gifted" MB with 3 of the same outfit..it just doesn't make sense. one maybe...but not 3 alike.

what makes you think that Michael gifted them all to Bush? for example the gold pants outfit, Estate already has a copy (which was at the Fan Fest) and Bush had listed one in the upcoming auction. So that might mean he took one and gifted the second one. Similarly Estate also has a gray bad tour shirt. Bush is auctioning another one. Also when you read the auction explanations you can see that some items are explained to be 2 copies , 4 copies etc. but only 1 copy being on sale. So that might mean the other copies can be in the possession of MJ Estate or some other people.

And as Petrarose said I think that if there was 2-3 copies of the costume, I would think that all of them were used because they needed to be washed/ cleaned and repaired.

Back