MJ Estate Third Accounting - Document & Summary & Discussion

ivy

Proud Member
Thanks to our members & friends at LA we were able to get the MJ Estate Third Accounting.

You can find my summary of the third accounting below. Document is linked below and embed it to the end of this post.

Link to the MJ Estate Third Accounting document : http://www.scribd.com/doc/208269032/MJ-Estate-Third-Accounting

For reference link to the discussion of MJ Estate Second accounting: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...ccounting-Document-amp-Summary-amp-Discussion

Summary of MJ Estate Third Accounting

Gross earnings as of December 31, 2013 are more than $600 Million. According to second accounting gross earnings as of May 31, 2012 was $475 Million. This means Estate earned $125 Million (gross) between June 2012 and December 2013.

Third accounting period covers January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012.

- All debt is current
- Hayvenhurst mortgage paid
- Mijac debt is fully paid.
- No property was sold during the third accounting period.

Estate is not in a position to be closed yet, Executors asking for administration of the Estate to be extended for one more year.

Same as second accounting: 12 Inventory value appraisals are done showing property valued at $50,677,002. Estate says additional personal property was discovered in Las Vegas and at Rock n Roll and Grammy Museum which is in total believed to be $6,700,000.

Same as second accounting: Estate’s main assets are 50% share in Sony/ ATV, 100% share in Mijac, Michael’s name and likeliness, Neverland and trademarks.

Same as second accounting: MJ Business activities consists of 2 Cirque shows, Ubisoft MJ Experience game, multiple album deal with Sony, commercial endorsements and a possible film and documentary about Michael Jackson.

Third accounting adds a Broadway play as possible future business activities.

7 lawsuits are still active, the rest have been resolved favorably for the Estate. Estate has significant legal expenses. (see addition at the end of summary for details)

MJJ Legacy Inc, MJJ Productions LLC, MJJ Kingdom LLC had been dissolved during second accounting period. During third accounting Estate have dissolved nine inactive entities of 99 Spanish Gate Drive LLC, Branson Media Group LLC, History Tours Inc, History Tours II Inc, Invincible Tours Inc, Monte Cristo Employment LLC, Nation Comics, Triumph Multimedia Corp and TTC Touring Corp.

PPB LLC – the reported trust company for the kids – is listed as a new entity on the third accounting.

Schedule A (beginning) and Schedule I (end) shows the list of tangible property and business interest of Michael and now MJ Estate. Similar to second accounting these properties include: Hayvenhurst (valued at $4.1 M) and a condo (valued at $315 K), Michael (and now his Estate) has 87.5% undivided membership in Neverland.

Schedule D shows net income from trade or business during third accounting period (Jan 2012- Dec 2012) at $54,015,433. (Gross income is $77,642,855)

Payments to Katherine and MJ’s kids are as follows (Jan 2012 - Dec 2012)

Kids allowance $3,064,009
Katherine allowance $1,386,548
Calabasas residence expenses $415,014
Other expenses $54,281
Insurance (health and property) $89,356
House employees $539,449
KJ Guardianship lawyer fees $ 102,588
Utilities costs $35,842
Security $564,302
Repair & Maintenance $154,325

Total $6,409,814

There haven’t been any new loans given to Katherine Jackson during the third accounting period. Total loans from the first and second accounting period were $6,560,000. Katherine Jackson paid $ 6,638 interest and $193,362 principal payment on these loans from a consulting fee she was paid by the Estate (see below for details).

Note: Estate states from time to time they adjust (meaning increase) these allowances. The most recent 12 month (Jan 2012 - Dec 2012) allowance numbers are higher compared to the 14 month (Nov 2010-Dec 2011) second accounting period in which kids allowance was $2,139,194 and Katherine allowance was $470,814.

Estate paid $13,155,178 in taxes and licenses.

Estate paid $170,609 for appraisals. Estate has an archiving project ongoing that they paid $146,293. They paid $806,873 for storage of Michael’s property. Estate employees were paid $126,654. Estate paid $480,500 for public relations.

Estate paid several consulting fees. They paid $2,300,000 to Katherine Jackson (paid to Perry Sanders and originally $2.5 Million but reduced by $200,000 to pay back loan and interest as mentioned above). $200,000 to Linda Dileo and $6,033 per month to Jackie Jackson.

Grauman’s Chinese Theater event cost MJ Estate $436,223.

Estate has paid $22,150,000 on loan principal payments.

Estate has earned $4,345,971 from royalties.

Replacement “Broken Heart Stone” is listed as a tangible property and valued at $50,000.

Total Co-executive & creative director compensation is $4,454,011. In the third accounting the companies’ tables doesn’t show any additional co-executive compensation.

Tidbits:

- Allowances for the kids include expenses such as tuition, vacations, parties, orthodontics and payment on a gas card as well as the regular allowance. Education related expenses are around $148,310.

- Improvements to Hayvenhurst include: entertainment room renovations, wall repair, pipe leak repair, theater renderings, reupholster theater seats, projection booth, and snack bar for lobby.

- Michael Jackson Estate’s tribute ad to Whitney Houston cost them $15,782

Edited to add

- At the end of summary of account it is stated that gross receipts between January 1 2013 and November 30 2013 is $60,815,512.

- There's no loan /mortgage payment for Lindley condo in the third accounting. Given that second accounting showed mortgage payments in the amount of $387,785 for Lindley, it is safe to assume that the Lindley condo mortgage debt is also paid in full.

- Estate has paid $74,372 for Domain Search and Renewal fees.

- Total legal fees are hard to calculate as the payments for them happen on account and before the Estate accounting gets filed. For 2012 legal bills show $95,392 for Litigation related expenses and $3,901,065 for legal expenses. For January 2013 to October 2013 the legal expenses are $4,992,839 plus legal fees at United Kingdom, Germany and Japan (which I did not convert to US dollars and aren't added to the total amount).

- Estate paid a law firm for services in UK in "Thriller Live" matter

-----------------------------------------------------

[scribd]208269032[/scribd]

Media stories about MJ Estate Third Accounting

At the time of Michael Jackson‘s death in 2009, the singer was $500 million in debt, but court documents reveal that three years later, the estate had generated more than $600 million and his mother Katherine had received $1.3 million in her yearly allowance and a $6 million loan.

Court documents — filed by estate executors and obtained exclusively by RadarOnline.com – expose the financial windfall that has been generated since his tragic death and provides insights as to the cost of raising the King of Pop’s three kids.

In 2012, according to financial records reviewed by Radar, the estate paid $564,301.57 for bodyguards and security for Katherine and her three grandchildren, Prince Michael, Paris andBlanket. (Radar has chosen not to disclose the names of the companies, due to privacy concerns.)

The matriarch of the Jackson family, 83, was paid $1.386 million in allowance from her late son’s estate in 2012 and was also loaned more than $6 million from the estate, which also doled out more than $3 million in allowance to Michael’s three children for education and $10,000 in orthodontics.

The family has been living in a $26,000 rental house in Calabasas, while the Hayvenhurst house continues to be renovated.

The monthly electric bill for the Calabasas mansion is $2,500 and the cost for living (including utilities) in the rental for in 2012 was $418,013.69.

Renovations for the Encino mansion were $154,323.53 in 2012, including a $12,000 home theater renovation project, $3,225 studio repair and pond keeper services for $814.43.

Even though no one was living at the house in 2012, utilities including phone, gas, and electricity totaled $35,842.05. Storage and moving fees for 2012 added up to a whopping $806,872.52.

The co-executors, John Branca and John McClain, under the law in California, are required to submit detailed financial records of the execution of Michael Jackson’s estate while it’s still in probate court.

The executors reveal that “they have made significant progress in resolving creditors’ claims and pending litigation reducing the estate’s debt, and solidifying and establishing the MJJ Business as a lucrative and powerful entity in the entertainment industry, the estate is not yet in the condition to be closed.

“The executors have not yet resolved all of the creditors’ claims. There is litigation pending and there is an ongoing tax audit. Therefore, executors request that the time for administration of the estate be extended for one year after the court enters its’ order settling the account.”

At the time of Michael’s death, he was named in more than half a dozen lawsuits, and 65 creditors’ claims were filed after he died.

There are “currently seven active litigation matters in the United States which the executors and their legal team are defending. All other litigation has been resolved favorably for the estate either by court disposition or settlement for less than the amount demanded,” the court docs state.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/02/michael-jackson-money-estate-worth-million-katherine/

Thank you, Ivy. What is Replacement “Broken Heart Stone”?

morinen;3962813 said:
Thank you, Ivy. What is Replacement “Broken Heart Stone”?

Broken heart stone is the MJ's handprint from 80s which was put in front of Grauman’s Chinese Theater with the handprints his kids made. At that handprint the palm has a heart shape and the stone has a crack hence "broken heart" name.

I'm assuming they made a replica of it as the 2012 year end assets lists a "replacement stone" under "Broken Heart Stone" headline.

Here's a picture

rockmichaeljacksonhandf.jpg

Same as second accounting: MJ Business activities consists of 2 Cirque shows, Ubisoft MJ Experience game, multiple album deal with Sony, commercial endorsements and a possible film and documentary about Michael Jackson.

Third accounting adds a Broadway play as possible future business activities.

:wild: :woohoo:
I wonder what is that commercial endorsements, but I'm glad they are considering document of MJ (similar to Bob Marley's bio would be excellent).

Perry Saunders is doing well for himself! The $6k per month consultancy to Jackie, is that for Cirque?

"There haven’t been any new loans given to Katherine Jackson during the third accounting period. Total loans from the first and second accounting period were $6,560,000. Katherine Jackson paid $ 6,638 interest and $193,362 principal payment on these loans from a consulting fee she was paid by the Estate (see below for details)."

So KJ gets million of money from the estate and on top of that she gets consulting fee from the estate too. Can she consult the estate without getting paid for it?

"$6,033 per month to Jackie Jackson."

Next time when people are arguing how executors are putting out bad music or other issues with music releases, I think Jackie is their consultant in music side of the business, such as with whom to collaborate etc.

So KJ gets million of money from the estate and on top of that she gets consulting fee from the estate too. Can she consult the estate without getting paid for it?

Consulting fees re her own son? Lol. Sorry but this imo is so wrong and tacky but whatever

Ivy, I understand the logic of the allowance being increased as the estate becomes more solvent.

Question please: what is the logic regarding the loans to Michael’s mother as opposed to simply paying the debt? If she passes before the debt to the estate is paid, who is responsible for the repayment? I assume it will be considered a lost to the other beneficiaries if it is not paid however, I am unsure if that is necessary.

Bubs;3962818 said:
I wonder what is that commercial endorsements

I'm thinking that refers to Pepsi deal. That business activities includes past activities, ongoing activities and possible future activities.

LastTear;3962819 said:
Perry Saunders is doing well for himself! The $6k per month consultancy to Jackie, is that for Cirque?

I don't think that $2.3 Million ( $2.5 M - 200 K) goes to Sanders himself. Many of the money paid to Katherine is paid to her lawyers to be given or used to her benefit.

As for Jackie, no idea why that is paid for but he's been getting $6,033 per month since January 2012.

Bubs;3962821 said:
So KJ gets million of money from the estate and on top of that she gets consulting fee from the estate too.

Yes

Tygger;3962826 said:
Question please: what is the logic regarding the loans to Michael’s mother as opposed to simply paying the debt? If she passes before the debt to the estate is paid, who is responsible for the repayment? I assume it will be considered a lost to the other beneficiaries if it is not paid however, I am unsure if that is necessary.

Short answer : because of probate.

Long answer: Probate is the process when decedents (MJ's) debts have to be paid before any money that can be given to the beneficiaries. (this is also partially the reason why there hasn't been a charity donation yet). So as still there's debts to be paid, creditor claims to solve, Estate tax to pay and so on, Estate cannot simply hand money to the beneficiaries. Also per MJ's will Estate isn't required to pay Katherine's past debts so that's not something they can justify to court as something they need to pay during probate process. I believe that's the reason the $6 M + given to Katherine is labelled as a "loan". I believe it is also obvious that Estate doesn't expect Katherine to pay it back. The very low amount of interest as well as paying Katherine consultant fees and using a small part of that consultant fees to pay back the initial loan - in other words giving her more money to pay back the initial loan and nothing coming out of her own pocket to pay the initial loan - demonstrates this to me.

Can we see if Katherine has started to repay her loan from the Estate or do the Estate deduct an amount from her allowance every month??

Can we see if Katherine has started to repay her loan from the Estate or do the Estate deduct an amount from her allowance every month??

she did pay $ 6,638 interest and $193,362 principal payment (total $200,000) on the loans she was given but she paid for that from a $2.5 Million consultant fee Estate paid to her.

Here's what I'm talking about

nvs68m.jpg

$2.5 Million gross consulting fee for Katherine reduced by $200,000 to pay loan principal and interest. $193,362 is applied to the loan principal and $6,638 applied to interest.

I feel some kind of way about the kid's allowance amounts being so.... public... :ermm:

I was going say something along those lines. Katherine's attorney is doing well and I love the creative way the estate allowed Katherine to pay back on the loan. They give her a consulting job and take some out of it for interest--recycling Michael's money.

The KJ Guardianship lawyer fees $ 102,588, is that from the summer heist situation only.

With a new increase in allowance Katherine has more money to give to her children, so I hope we will not see any letters calling for the exec to step down. Now with this new Wade case and the other 6 I guess probate will be lingering on. I wonder exactly what Jackie and Katherine's duties are as consultants?

Last edited:
There was someone called Nederlander or a business called Nederlander who sued the Estate because Michael entered into an oral agreement about a Thriller Broadway show. I was wondering if the above mentioned show could be part of a possible settlement with the group?

The Estate pays Katherine's lawyers to trash, spread innuendo, and lie about Michael. Michael pays for his own legacy destruction. Katherine herself gets a loan, consults for the Estate and then uses that money to pay back the loan. I like that, where do I sign up to get a loan like that?

I know I have to be nice but it gets more difficult everyday.

^^Yeap. Michael's money is spreading around and taking care of a lot of people.

Ivy, I agree probate is the logical answer here.

Most adult Americans carry debt so it is no surprise Katherine carries debt as well. I believe the executors understand that and include it in their responsibilities to care for Katherine financially as per the will. The executors get a very nice portion from the estate as well in fees and the deals they have created - rightfully so in my view - so, I believe these parties have a particular understanding with each other.

Clarification please: the Broken Heart stone Michael’s children signed is a replica? The original was auctioned off by Andrew Wilson who just authored the book about the stone, correct?

Michael's children didn't; sign the Broken heart Stone. They made their own stone with their hands and fathers shoe prints. There are 2 stones at Graumans. Some are saying the BHS is a replica. Its possible but I would like to see some documentation that states that.

Two-stones2.png

Isn't the broken heart the stone that was found in some room or other? Wasn't it done to be put in Vegas but the idea was forgotten. We had a thread on this some years back.

The kids made prints from Michael's shoe and glove in that ceremony. These are 2 different stones.

Tygger;3962851 said:
Most adult Americans carry debt so it is no surprise Katherine carries debt as well.

most adult Americans do not carry a debt like that. Katherine, Joe and Jermaine signed Michael up for concerts in Korea with Segye Times. They got $ 4 million for it and Michael was given $1.5 Million. Michael had no intentions to do those concerts and cancelled the deal with Segye Times and gave back the $1.5 Million. Jacksons had already spent the money they were given and Michael did not pay their debt back. After almost two decades that debt became $12 Million which half of it was Katherine's responsibility. Segye Times was going after Katherine as well as Joe and Jermaine trying to collect the money from any and all deals they were doing after MJ's death.

Clarification please: the Broken Heart stone Michael’s children signed is a replica? The original was auctioned off by Andrew Wilson who just authored the book about the stone, correct?

No. I heard that Andrew Wilson donated the stone to Chinese Theater. Given that the replica stone is Estate's tangible property, I'll assume Estate made a replica for some reason but the original one is in front of the Chinese Theater.

Also it's important to note that Estate accounting doesn't have such details to answer some of the questions.

Broken Heart Stone - Tangible property- Replacement Stone - $50,000 is all the information we can see. Everyone is free to come their own conclusions about what it means.

$2 million "consulting fee" huh. I mean, obviously she wasn't going to pay back that loan from her pocket, and clearly neither was her rich daughter going to help her with it, so i knew it was going to be MJ as usual paying for everything.

It just amazes me every time i see it. SMH

So MJ has made 600 million dollars since 2009?

Amazing!!

When Prince and Blanket wear the same clothes for months; same t-shirts , shoes, pants...etc .Not to mention Blanket's teeth . You can't but wonder where the hell did $ 3 + millions go . Not on fancy clothes for sure

If it's not a loan , it's a "consultancy fee". Obviously for the second year in row her allowance is higher than the three kids combined, if we assume of course she spend their allowance on them.

No wonder Jermaine rides a Ferrari.

Back