Michael Jackson Approved For US Commemorative Postage Stamps

ivy

Proud Member
Notable Americans expected to appear on forthcoming stamps include pop icon Michael Jackson, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs , singer James Brown, rocker Jimi Hendrix, talk-show host Johnny Carson, hoops star Wilt Chamberlain, actor Charlton Heston and gay-rights leader Harvey Milk.

The document from the U.S. Postal Service's Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee names "approved subjects" and says that design work on most of them has already begun. But a USPS spokesman told CNN that the list, dated January 7, is still subject to change.

"The postal service is looking to bring more timely, relevant, contemporary subjects to stamps," he told the news agency. The spokesperson said that while the list of pop-culture subjects appealing to younger audiences is extensive and fairly current (dated Jan 7.), it can change.

Possible stamp subjects centering on music icons include Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. Both are currently in the design development stage. For 2015, look for Elvis Presley and James Brown. For 2016 (but not yet in development) the lineup includes Jim Morrison, Sam Cooke, Freddie Fender, Michael Jackson and John Lennon. Roy Orbison has already been approved and a Sarah Vaughn stamp is currently in development.

Here's the approved subjects list document posted by Washington Post : http://www.scribd.com/doc/208045979/Postage-stamp-subjects-approved-by-U-S-Postal-Service

From the 3rd page of the above document

2regkg3.jpg

If US postal office needs money, they should bring Michael's stamp out now and they'll be flooded with money:clapping:

It's an honor to be on a US stamp. Michael deserves such an honor.

Waw I will get the Michael one. I already got the one from Budapest. James Brown, Hendrix, and Elizabeth are also appealing.

Isn't James Brown already out? I saw some ads on the post office door.

wonderful news, i do hope the queen will allow Michael jackson postage stamps here in england.. i wanna get many sheets :D

I will buy them. I missed getting the Virgin Islands stamps in the 80s.

He was long overdue for one. Glad to see it's finally happening! :D

I'm so happy forthis News aswell as for Michael's Legacy and Respect! :clapping:

I am wanting find any updates on this, I'm going to search and call the United States Postal Service Office ad I will update here once I find updates.

cool, I've been wondering when the heck this would happen!! I'm glad they are giving him that respect

Yes, this will be so great. And why not? He's a notable american and deserves this honor.

Also, on a similar line, the field in which I work, I came across a check with MJ
on it in one of his iconic poses (there may be a series of poses) and the caption read
"MUSIC LIVES FOREVER" :)

ngl I am definitely going to buy a roll or two when these come out! And send letters to all my friends! :D

Yes, this will be so great. And why not? He's a notable american and deserves this honor.

Also, on a similar line, the field in which I work, I came across a check with MJ
on it in one of his iconic poses (there may be a series of poses) and the caption read
"MUSIC LIVES FOREVER" :)

Thanks for this info. I have been looking for MJ checks. I just ordered them.

Thanks for this info. I have been looking for MJ checks. I just ordered them

No problem Joanna. :dont_mention_it: I wanna order some too.

I want MJ checks too!! It would make paying bills a little less awful :)

I know, right?! Only MJ can accomplish that feat! Lol!

Also, I have been seeing the ELVIS and JAMES BROWN stamps already, sooo, hmmm.
Maybe it has to do with ones location?

Back