Remembering Bobbi Kristina Brown: An essay by Michael Jackson's nephew Austin Brown

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
http://www.billboard.com/articles/6...ath-austin-brown-remembers?utm_source=twitter

fs_anon_677059_1437975189.jpg

Prior to Bobbi Kristina Brown's death on July 26, Michael Jackson's nephew Austin Brown penned an essay for Billboard in which he relates and reflects on the girl he came to know as the adoring daughter of a very famous mom.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bobbi Kristina at the 2009 American Music Awards. It was only a few months after losing our beloved Michael. My family was still grieving through our own personal pain as the world was grieving the public loss of someone who meant so much to so many.

Attending in support of my aunt, who was opening the show, I was sitting with [producer] Rodney Jerkins, a family friend to both the Jackson and Houston families. Right before the show started, I saw a woman approaching us with a young lady clamped to her arm. As the pair drew closer, I could see that it was Whitney Houston and her daughter Bobbi Kristina.

Whitney offered her cheek for Rodney and I to kiss as her daughter said hello. During the quick conversation, Bobbi Kristina didn't let go of her mom's arm for one second. You could tell that Whitney was truly the light in her eyes and her safety zone. Whenever I saw Bobbi Kristina after that, it was always the same thing: her clamped tightly to her mother and never letting go, evidence of the deep bond between the two.

With the death of Houston three years ago, we lost another icon. But it saddened me that many people forgot -- first and foremost -- that her death was about the loss of a mother and the pain it caused a family. No matter what the public perception is, the human factor should be evident: the loss of a family member, especially a parent, is extremely painful beyond comprehension.

I experienced the same personal struggle after losing my father in 2013 to pancreatic cancer. I was trying to work through the inevitable downhill spiral while fighting to find inner peace and discover the new person I was moving forward to be. At these moments, families do one of two things. Either they come together and grow from the loss so they can move forward. Or they bicker over the mundane material possessions or financial matters, not realizing the real anger and pain they are experiencing stems from the hurt and void caused by the loved one's loss. But no matter the outcome, the family can grieve, cry, fight and emote in private without public opinion judging their actions.

When I think about Bobbi Kristina, it pains me to see that her grief has turned into a story full of public judgment and opinion since the passing of her mother. As she continues fighting for her life, public perception is still inquiring about her rights as a celebrity child and her personal relationships with her family. Have we come to this as a society?

Yes, we all know the answer to that question. But let's take a real look inside at what that can be like. When our family lost Michael, we grieved with the world. When there were internal struggles, these were headlined as "Entertainment" for the world to watch unfold. The reality: we all had to adjust to who we were now as a family moving forward and, most important, help the children he left behind handle their pain and adjustment. The public's intrigue only further fueled the stress and internal struggles. Fortunately, however, through faith, prayer, and love we got through it and weathered the storm to rebuild a new family foundation.

I pray and hope to see Bobbi Kristina live to show us why her love for her mother was so strong that she continually clamped onto her arm. Before only seeing her as the beloved daughter of a legend we all adored, we have to remember this is a daughter who lost her mother. And that she is not the first person in the world to have a hard time with grief.

Energy is the battery of the universe. Through prayer and love we can shift the negativity that is being portrayed publicly into a positive effort for someone to live through their sadness and struggles and hopefully move on to help others in the future. Bobbi Kristina, we as a family have you in our prayers.

fs_anon_658680_1437995288.jpg

austin-brown-bbma-2014-billboard-650.jpg

Austin , it is MJ's vast wealth and the wise decision he made to leave all of you out of his will and to appoint John Branca as an executor the reasons you are "sticking together as a family" now. I highly doubt you would have been that close if it were not for the money the estate is showering Katherine with.

I find it in bad taste to use the tragic story of this young girl to promote his "family" shit. "our family did better than the Houstons and Browns". Paris tried to take her own life because of your "internal feuds" and she was years younger than Bobbi Kristina.

Last edited:
Considering the occasion and the context of Austin's beautiful words I don't think it's right to engage in the usual attacks of Michael's family. If for no other reason then at least out of respect for a young woman who lost her life and her grieving family.......the media circus around her condition this year has been terrible enough already.

I was looking at Whitney videos earlier in the day related to Bobbi Kristina and got teary eyed. Had no idea Whitney got her to sing along to Little drummer boy.

godbless.jpg

God rest their souls!!!

Austin , it is MJ's vast wealth and the wise decision he made to leave all of you out of his will and to appoint John Branca as an executor the reasons you are "sticking together as a family" now. I highly doubt you would have been that close if it were not for the money the estate is showering Katherine with.

I find it in bad taste to use the tragic story of this young girl to promote his "family" shit. "our family did better than the Houstons and Browns". Paris tried to take her own life because of your "internal feuds" and she was years younger than Bobbi Kristina.

THIS right here... :punk:

Beautiful essay. Anyone who has truly experienced grief would know Austin Brown's statements are facts.

I don't see Austin's words were in bad taste. He was saying just as Bobbi K's family had internal issues displayed in front of the world with her and Whitney's death, his family had the same ordeal when Michael died

Bobbi K's families have been fighting since Whitney died, selling stories to the press, blaming each other, and even her aunt doing a fashion show wearing Whitney's clothes. Now they're fighting over the money

The Jacksons had all the personal issues put out in the fromt of the world too. All the guy was saying that over time, things got better. Very respectful essay

Back