Michael's Jackson 5 legacy

ML2016

Proud Member
I posted this thread on this section of the forum because this is a part of Michael's legacy and should be seen as such. Putting it in the family section would be to overshadow it.

Even though I was a huge fan of Michael's for some years, I had never paid close attention to his work with his brothers. After 7 years I'm back to being a fan and I decided to look into that part of his legacy and I must say I'm baffled: It's GREAT music. I've discovered more about Michael's legacy in the 2 months I'm back to being a fan than in the 3 years I was a nut for him. I compiled the Jackson 5's/Jacksons' best songs:

1.ABC
2. Blame it on the boogie
3. Can you feel it
4. Daddy's home
5. Dancing machine
6. Destiny
7. Doctor my eyes
8. Don't know why I love you
9. Enjoy yourself
10. Even though you're gone
11. Forever came today
12. Get it together
13. Give it up
14. Goin' places
15. Got to be there
16. Heartbreak hotel
17. I want you back
18. I'll be there
19. I wanna be where you are
20. I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus
21. Keep on dancing
22. Little Bitty pretty one
23. Lovely one
24. Looking through the window
25. Mama's pearl
26. Maybe tomorrow
27. Music's taking over
28. Never can say goodbye
29. Rockin' Robin
30. Shake your body
31. Show you the way to go
32. The love you save
33. Torture
34. Wait
35. Walk right now
36. Who's loving you

Am I missing something? Any song you guys want to add? Michael's work as a part of the Jackson 5/Jacksons is a must not just for a MJ fan but for any modern music muso.

For me, every one of the albums is vital. While Michael's artistry as a songwriter might not be present on the most earliest material with the brothers, his voice certainly is and that's a big aspect, to me, of his artistry and development as such.

Were you cherry picking songs or looking at albums? If it's the latter, I'd be interested to know which albums you've missed. The later J5 works in places raise big flags to Michael's burgeoning maturity in so many ways they are criminal to overlook.

I love MJ's work as a part of the J5.

So do I. There are tons of awesome songs. I used to have a whole playlist of them. Can't remember them all right now, but just a few that come to mind now

Someday at Christmas
Give love on Christmas day
Little drummer boy
Pride and joy
Label me love
(You were meant) Especially for me
Different kind of lady
Window shopping

and on and on and on........:lol:

Ooo I love "It's too Late To Change The Time" and "If I don't Love You this Way" and...you know what let me just write a list :p
Walk On
25 Miles
Would Ya Would Ya Baby
If I Have To Move A Mountain
Don't Say Goodbye Again
Window Shopping
Looking Through The Windows
I Am Love
Your Ways
Things I Do For You (this song is just...:bow:)
Dreamer
Enjoy Yourself
All Night Dancin'
Wondering Who

I agree, I love Jackson 5 and Jacksons material. It is always a thrill to watch Michael perform with his brothers. Thye had a family feel on those songs and videos and really gelled as a unit with the borthers providing great harmonies and dancing to Michael spinning around around and being great. It is always great to see Jermaine and Jackie singing and of course Marlon as well. (Never hear Tito sing much, he is always plugging away on the guitar).

The list is great and I would only add "I am Love Part 1 and II" to the list. This song has a shimmering Jermaine/or Marlon later on vocal and a serious first part and then a joyful second part. There is also a video of them doing it, in these ridiculous looking tuxedos (The music is great, but some of the clothes?).

I really think all of Destiny and Triumph should be on anyones list and I even like the songs 2300 Jackson street and Nothing that compares 2 u (Even that has no Michael involvement) as well. Yes I love family music too.

What else I really think the first Jacksons album - The Jacksons is underrated, Show you the way to go, may be their best ever song, Michael is really doing justice with his new adult sounding vocals there (He was still 17!), and by then he may have realised that his adult voice was not going to kill his career. Although you hear the voice well on the Carol Burnett show appearance - when he sings Forever came today, I mean wow! The opening bridge after the joyful "Anyone called Jackson has got to be a friend of mine) and he goes "Thheeeeeerrrree you were" that is how you sing!

Although you hear the voice well on the Carol Burnett show appearance - when he sings Forever came today, I mean wow! The opening bridge after the joyful "Anyone called Jackson has got to be a friend of mine) and he goes "Thheeeeeerrrree you were" that is how you sing!

You got a link to that?

Next time "Please" would help.

There are longer versions too, with the earlier song, this version is fun too, as Marlon gets to sing too and he sounds a lot like Jermaine!

Last edited:
I agree, I love Jackson 5 and Jacksons material. It is always a thrill to watch Michael perform with his brothers. Thye had a family feel on those songs and videos and really gelled as a unit with the borthers providing great harmonies and dancing to Michael spinning around around and being great. It is always great to see Jermaine and Jackie singing and of course Marlon as well. (Never hear Tito sing much, he is always plugging away on the guitar).

The list is great and I would only add "I am Love Part 1 and II" to the list. This song has a shimmering Jermaine/or Marlon later on vocal and a serious first part and then a joyful second part. There is also a video of them doing it, in these ridiculous looking tuxedos (The music is great, but some of the clothes?).

I really think all of Destiny and Triumph should be on anyones list and I even like the songs 2300 Jackson street and Nothing that compares 2 u (Even that has no Michael involvement) as well. Yes I love family music too.

What else I really think the first Jacksons album - The Jacksons is underrated, Show you the way to go, may be their best ever song, Michael is really doing justice with his new adult sounding vocals there (He was still 17!), and by then he may have realised that his adult voice was not going to kill his career. Although you hear the voice well on the Carol Burnett show appearance - when he sings Forever came today, I mean wow! The opening bridge after the joyful "Anyone called Jackson has got to be a friend of mine) and he goes "Thheeeeeerrrree you were" that is how you sing!
I love these choices and the spirit of this comment. I however always did feel that I heard Tito's voice too, and Marlons. Songs like Stand, on their first album, Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 at Caesar's Palace, Reach In and I Am Love are the most amazing examples oh the harmonies! Although some feel that there are other vocalists singing.

#4 up there in the opening list was Jermaine on vocals but I love that list very much!

I also love hearing him sing Ain't No Sunshine from back then (but I don't know if that may have been during his solo Ben era career?) and there is a song that I'm pretty sure was on the other side of If I Have To Move A Mountain (uh! LOVE that song!) called, Maria. Uh! GREAT SONG and its so ironic he married someone whom in his relationship with her, he got to actually speak the name, "Marie"(a). I also love everything on The Third Album! Goin' Back to Indiana, Reach In, Darlin' Dear (oh my God that song!),
these are just a few featuring Michael's finest vocals, and everything from the ABC album (their second album)
especially One More Chance, and from Sky Writer album, All I Do Is Think of You which has since been covered a few times by young cute sounding artists but NOBODY BUT NOBODY sings it like Michael Jackson. NOBODY.

Last edited:
Oh thank you for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favorite things ever!

Next time "Please" would help.

There are longer versions too, with the earlier song, this version is fun too, as Marlon gets to sing too and he sounds a lot like Jermaine!

Last edited:
You really have bad manners. I was expecting at least a thank you.

Shameful!

Back