Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Donald Trump elected as America's 45th President.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 780 Posts

Default Re: Donald Trump elected as America's 45th President.

What if Western media covered Charlottesville the same way it covers other nations

If we talked about what happened in Charlottesville the same way we talk about events in a foreign country, here’s how Western media would cover it. Those quoted in the “story” below are fictional.

The international community is yet again sounding the alarm on ethnic violence in the United States under the new regime of President Trump. The latest flash point occurred this past weekend when the former Confederate stronghold of Charlottesville descended into chaos following rallies of white supremacist groups protesting the removal of statues celebrating leaders of the defeated Confederate states. The chaos turned deadly when Heather Heyer, a member of the white ethnic majority who attended the rally as a counterprotester, was killed when a man with neo-Nazi sympathies allegedly drove his car into a crowd.

Trump, a former reality television host, beauty pageant organizer and businessman, rose to political prominence by publicly questioning the citizenship of the United States’ first black president, Barack Obama. Since his election, Trump has targeted Muslims, refugees, Mexicans and the media. He has also advocated for police brutality. These tactics have appealed to and emboldened white ethno-nationalist groups and domestic terrorist organizations.

After Charlottesville, Trump has largely refused to unequivocally condemn the actions of the white supremacist groups. In a shocking news conference Tuesday, Trump, fuming after consuming hours of cable television, doubled down on blaming “both sides” for the weekend’s violence. His remarks garnered praise from a former leader of a white terrorist group known as the Ku Klux Klan, David Duke. “Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville,” Duke said on Twitter.

Beyond Trump’s coddling of white extremist groups, the emboldening of white supremacists and neo-Nazis raises questions about the state of the United States’ democracy 152 years after its brutal civil war over the rights of the white ethnic majority in its southern region to enslave members of the black ethnic minority. After the Charlottesville turmoil, more protests are expected around the country against the removal of Confederate monuments.

“Culturally, Americans are a curious lot,” said Andrew Darcy Morthington, an United Kingdom-based commentator who once embarked on a two-year mission trip to teach rural American children and therefore qualifies as an expert on U.S. affairs. “Donald Trump’s campaign message was that he would make America great again, and that there would be so much ‘winning.’ If America cares about being great, why has it fought so hard to keep monuments to the Confederate losers and enslavers?”

“The worst thing Britain ever did was letting go of our colony and thinking Americans were capable of governing themselves without eventually resorting back to tribal politics,” said Martin Rhodes, a shopkeeper in London. “I can’t believe a once-great empire would threaten everything it has built over generations just because a group of people give in to racism and xenoph…” Rhodes’s voice trailed off as he stared wistfully at a silent Big Ben.

Experts are also linking the weekend violence to the scourge of domestic terrorism carried out by white males, who have carried out almost twice as many mass attacks on American soil than Muslims have in recent years.

“This is the time for moderates across the white male world to come out and denounce violent racial terrorism, white supremacy and regressive tribal politics,” said James Charlotin, a Canadian national security expert. “Why haven’t they spoken out?”

European leaders have offered to convene the first-ever Countering Violent White Male Extremism (CVWME) summit somewhere in Europe, but critics have pointed out that Europe was the original exporter of many of the same colonial and white supremacist ideologies that have fueled misery all over the globe.

The Trump regime, which has failed to deliver on much of its legislation promises, is governing in a country awash in guns, where the maternal mortality rate, alcoholism and opioid drug use are on the rise.

“This is just a recipe for entrenched disaffection from the state and further isolation and radicalization of American white males,” Charlotin said.

“The Americans on both sides of the political spectrum like to talk about identity politics, or white identity,” said Mustapha Okango, a Kenyan anthropologist based in Nairobi. “The Americans like to lecture us and other Africans about keeping tribalism out of our politics and putting country ahead of our ethnic groups. America’s institutions are strong. But when I saw the images of those white men in polos carrying Party City tiki torches and weapons, it’s pretty clear American white tribal politics are alive and well, explicitly fueled by President Trump’s regime. White supremacy doesn’t just hurt blacks or other minority groups, it hurts the whole country. Take it from us Kenyans, it’s a dangerous recipe. We had hoped better for America.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a3bbdd9d3271

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LindavG For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,224 Posts

and.... Trump might start losing honorary degree(s) (Not sure how many he has....)

Thousands of current students and graduates of a Pennsylvania university are petitioning the school to rescind the honorary degree it awarded President Trump in 1988 after he delivered the school's commencement address.

The petition, which had passed 18,000 signatures by Friday, was created by Lehigh University alumna Kelly McCoy, 22, according to Fox News. McCoy started the petition in response to Trump's comments about the violence caused by white nationalists in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...onorary-degree
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,687 Times in 2,984 Posts

I saw the interview with Norman Lear declining the reception at the White House, but he is accepting the honor itself. He clarified that the Kennedy Center Honors have nothing to do with the President.
    Good thing-or the only people getting future Kennedy Center Honors or artistic awards will be Ted Nugent, James Woos and Kid Rock, etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,604 Times in 9,259 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LindavG View Post

I used to think the US had it right when it comes to free speech laws and I would tell my fellow liberals here that we should adopt the American model but now I see its limitations. I can't think of any possible benefits to society in allowing neo-nazis, or Islamic extremists for that matter, to spew their hatred in public. Obviously we must have robust protections for freedom of speech but I don't think it's unreasonable to make an exception for speech that advocates violence, genocide, slavery or ethnic conflict.
    It is interesting because then it becomes a touchy subject where do you draw the line. For example, I have just read this: https://www.jihadwatch.org/2017/08/l...ns-jihad-watch

Now, Jihad Watch is IMO a website that beyond legit Islam criticism has also crossed the line to anti-Muslim bigotry. They also seem to be sympathetic to Trump and his Muslim ban. So by no means I endorse their stance, despite of myself being a critic of Islam (or any religion, for that matter). Yet, I think that woman who is trying shut them down using this Charlottesville incident, is going a bit too far. While Jihad Watch is bigoted and they do not distinguish between Islam as an ideology and Muslims as people, I haven't seen them ever to call for violence or promote violence against anyone. One might argue that their bigotry may fuel people who may be more prone to violence, but my problem is now, where do we draw the line if we are going to limit free speech? To me what this woman is doing rather leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, despite of the fact I do not agree with Jihad Watch's general stance and direction, because it seems some people on the left are now trying to use this Charlottesville incident as an excuse to limit the free speech of their political, ideological opponents or people they disagree with - and IMO that's a very bad direction as well, and Robert Spencer (nothing to do with Richard Spencer who organized the Charlottesville nazi protest) has a point or two in his reply to her.

Or even if you think Jihad Watch deserves to be on a black list, what about people like Maajid Nawaz or Ayaan Hirshi Ali (two ex-Muslims) who the Southern Poverty Law Center lists* as "anti-Muslim extermists" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlAw7qYLk5w) just because they are critical of their former religion (actually, Nawaz still considers himself a Muslim, just a liberal Muslim)? Based on that list someone might get the idea to shut them down too. So where does this stop? This is a dangerous path IMO.

PS: The ideoligical bias of the Southern Poverty Law Center's "hate list" is very much detectable. It lists mainly right wing organizations with only very few left wing organizations. While it lists fundamentalist Christian groups (due to their anti LGBT, anti abortion stance) it features ZERO Islamist organization - even though they are just as anti-LGBT as their Christian counterparts. And then there is the ridiculous listing of the likes of Nawaz and Ali while they do not feature Islamist extremist hate preaching imams and the like. For the life of me, I will never understand the Left's love affair with Islam. It makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by respect77; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barbee0715 View Post
    I saw the interview with Norman Lear declining the reception at the White House, but he is accepting the honor itself. He clarified that the Kennedy Center Honors have nothing to do with the President.
    Good thing-or the only people getting future Kennedy Center Honors or artistic awards will be Ted Nugent, James Woos and Kid Rock, etc.
    This is the letter from the Kennedy Centre. It's come to something when the US President cannot participate in public events because he carries so much political 'contamination' with him....

'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post: