Will You Be There - Choir Lyrics

Glanni

Proud Member
Country
Germany
I googled for 1 hour now but still did not find the lyrics of the choir. Can anyone tell me what language it is a nd what they actually sing?? Is it italian? I know the song is from Beethoven's Symphony No 9, 4th sequent. But still I have no clue what they sing.

Lyrics are German.

"Ihr stürzt nieder, Millionen?
Ahndest du den Schöpfer, Welt?
Such’ ihn überm Sternenzelt,
über Sternen muß er wohnen."

Hard to understand in the 9th Symphony without knowing the lyrics as every word is stretched very long.

English translation:

"Do you fall down, you millions?
Do you sense the creator, world?
Seek him above the starry canopy,
Above the stars he must live."

It's from a poem "An Die Freude (Ode To Joy)" by Friedrich Schiller from 1785.
It's his most famous poem and also includes the "Freude, schöner Götterfunken" segment.

Full poem here:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Translation:Ode_to_Joy

fzpqkiwc.jpg

Full 9th Symphony by Beethoven (WYBT segment at 53:34)

[video=youtube;t3217H8JppI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI[/video]

Last edited:
crazy. didnt know and didnt expect it really is german but you are right.

and does anyone know if it was recorded just for this song will you be there or did mj only used an existing choir song? i so much love will you be there.

Glanni;4181993 said:
and does anyone know if it was recorded just for this song will you be there or did mj only used an existing choir song? i so much love will you be there.

I love the song so much too! It's legitimately one of Michael's greatest musical achievements in my honest opinion. Hell, I'd consider one of the greatest songs of the late 20th century. Period.

It seems Michael sampled the recording:
"The single was the subject of two lawsuits. The first was filed by Cleveland Orchestra for $7 million for copyright infringement of their recording and lack of credit to German composer Beethoven for the use of his symphonic prelude, which can be heard during the song’s opening. This was settled out of court with subsequent releases of Dangerous including full credits in the album booklet."

I don't get it how artists are so lazy in getting the credits right of songs they use.

I still remember clearly the first time I heard the song. It was on the radio at my grandmother's house. Must have been 10 or 11. It was the first time a song made me cry and I vividly remember the goosebumps all over my body during the song. Magical moment. Nostalgia
I've been trying to make a top 100 songs of all time for years but this song certainly makes my chart!

Lyrics are German.

"Ihr stürzt nieder, Millionen?
Ahndest du den Schöpfer, Welt?
Such’ ihn überm Sternenzelt,
über Sternen muß er wohnen."

Hard to understand in the 9th Symphony without knowing the lyrics as every word is stretched very long.

English translation:

"Do you fall down, you millions?
Do you sense the creator, world?
Seek him above the starry canopy,
Above the stars he must live."
I wonder if Michael knew the meaning of these lines when incorporating Beethoven's 9th Symphony into WYBT.

German is truly beautiful language. “Sternenzelt” what a beautiful word. To hell with French!

Back