Debbie Reynolds Dance museum to become Debbie Reynolds museum (MJ rehearsal studios)

myosotis

Proud Member
Heading error: Should read ' Debbie Reynolds Dance Studio to become Debbie Reynolds Museum'

Debbie Reynolds' memorabilia and costume collection has found a home ... her North Hollywood dance studio, which is being turned into a museum.

Todd Fisher, Debbie's son, tells us the studio has 6 rooms for dancing, and now 2 of them will house her collection. Renovations are underway.

Some of the items ... Debbie’s SAG Life Achievement Award and Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, along with costumes from ‘Molly Brown’ and "Singin' in the Rain."

Todd says they'll consider transferring some items to the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures when it eventually opens, but for now it'll all live in the studio.

Debbie opened the place in 1979 and a bunch of celebs, including Lucille Ball, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bette Midler, Cher, Usher and Mariah Carey, rehearsed there.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/831189967623823361

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debbie Reynolds Studio was established in 1979 by Debbie Reynolds specifically for dancers. Debbie was determined to create a comfortable space for dancer to rehearse. The studio offered a friendly and relaxed atmosphere while at the same time provided simple luxuries that were not found at other studios including ample free parking, a lounge area with fresh coffee, dressing rooms, showers, six spacious studios with high ceilings and pianos in each room.

Today, the studio has kept the same friendly atmosphere and luxuries that were present from day one. It is this comfortable environment that has attracted many celebrities throughout the years, such as Lucille Ball, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bette Midler, Cher, Usher and Mariah Carey. It has been a popular rental facility for many of the most renowned choreographers in the business, including Travis Payne, Rob Marshall, Vincent Patterson, Brian Friedman and Shawnette Heard.

Debbie Reynolds Studio's instructors are some of the best in the business. They have taught globally and have choreographed for numerous artists including Janet Jackson, Missy Elliot, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce and many more. Our instructors come from all around the world and their impressive training background ranges from Alvin Ailey to The Brooklyn Ballet to the "Streets".

https://www.drdancestudio.com/about
6514 Lankershim Blvd. - North Hollywood, CA 9160
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JyLzWnRbM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J-JyLzWnRbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is wonderful news.....I watched Bright Lights and it made me sad that see that they had to sell a lot of that fabulous memorabilia. Also I hope one day the family will release footage of Debbie last show where Carrie, Billie and Todd sang along with her.

myosotis;4183788 said:
Heading error: Should read ' Debbie Reynolds Dance Studio to become Debbie Reynolds Museum'

Debbie Reynolds' memorabilia and costume collection has found a home ... her North Hollywood dance studio, which is being turned into a museum.

Todd Fisher, Debbie's son, tells us the studio has 6 rooms for dancing, and now 2 of them will house her collection. Renovations are underway.

Some of the items ... Debbie&#8217;s SAG Life Achievement Award and Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, along with costumes from &#8216;Molly Brown&#8217; and "Singin' in the Rain."

Todd says they'll consider transferring some items to the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures when it eventually opens, but for now it'll all live in the studio.

Debbie opened the place in 1979 and a bunch of celebs, including Lucille Ball, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bette Midler, Cher, Usher and Mariah Carey, rehearsed there.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/831189967623823361
I'm so glad-can't beieve that it took all these years to open the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, although too late, since most of Debbie's collection was sold off recently. That just broke my heart.

I was amazed that Debbie, of all people, took so seriously the worth and value and sentimentality of those gorgeous costumes and was determined to save them all on her own when Ted Turner started the fire sale at MGM in the early 70's. You'd think it would be a movie historian or even a respected director or producer like Martin Scorcese, who is so knowledgeable about movie history. But it was little Debbie, known then as the song and dance girl and the scandal of the century. And she darn pretty much prevailed.

Always will be proud of her for that.

(Ted didn't always remain evil to old movie fantatics like me-after selling off those precious artifacts and trying to "colorize" classics, Hollywood fought back with the "That's Entertainment" movies and of course, Ted had a change of heart and created TCM.

barbee0715;4183915 said:
I'm so glad-can't beieve that it took all these years to open the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, although too late, since most of Debbie's collection was sold off recently. That just broke my heart.

I was amazed that Debbie, of all people, took so seriously the worth and value and sentimentality of those gorgeous costumes and was determined to save them all on her own when Ted Turner started the fire sale at MGM in the early 70's. You'd think it would be a movie historian or even a respected director or producer like Martin Scorcese, who is so knowledgeable about movie history. But it was little Debbie, known then as the song and dance girl and the scandal of the century. And she darn pretty much prevailed.

Always will be proud of her for that.

(Ted didn't always remain evil to old movie fantatics like me-after selling off those precious artifacts and trying to "colorize" classics, Hollywood fought back with the "That's Entertainment" movies and of course, Ted had a change of heart and created TCM.

I read in Carrie's book that selling the costumes (when Debbbie's museum closed) helped to save them financially. I don't think any individual can run a museum for an entire industry (like the film industry) on their own, but as you say, she was very foresighted to save the costumes when she did, and now they are safely in the hands of others, for the next generations to enjoy....partly in collections, and partly to have the fun of bidding and maybe ownership when they come up for sale.

I'll be interested to see what has been kept for the museum. I think Carrie mentions in a book that there were some items that Debbie would not sell, but I can't recall and can't find the page.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/debbie-reynolds-hurt-by-academy-702097 (2014)

"They should be in a museum," she tells THR of such items as five Rat Pack tuxes that were gifts from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop.
A version of this story first appeared in the May 16 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

On May 17 and 18, the last of Debbie Reynolds' fabled collection of Hollywood memorabilia is will be sold off at her eponymous dance academy in North Hollywood by local auctioneers Profiles in History. It's the third -- and final -- auction for what was considered the greatest private such collection ever assembled. The first two sales raised more than $26 million, and now Reynolds is selling what's left, including Orson Welles' fur coat from 1941's Citizen Kane and a collection of Rat Pack tuxes that were gifts from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop. (Bishop once joked that Reynolds was a "nutcake" for wanting his old pants.) The five tuxes are estimated to fetch $30,000 to $50,000 as a group.

Reynolds first started seriously collecting when she emptied her bank account &#8212; some $600,000 &#8212; to buy as much as she could at MGM's legendary 1970 prop and costume auction. (Her purchases included a pair of ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz that sold at the first auction in 2011 for $690,000.)

"They literally threw away our history and I just got caught up in it," Reynolds tells THR. "The stupidity and the lack of foresight to save our history. Oh yes, they gave them away if you came up and said that you have something you had to offer. It was no matter about the history."

She went on collecting, acquiring pieces from everyone from Cary Grant (who inspired daughter Carrie Fisher's name, she claims) to Fred Astaire to Shirley MacLaine.

Other important items up for sale include a number of cameras collected by her son Todd Fisher, including the ones used to film Dracula, To Catch a Thief and the special effects on Star Wars. Among the trove of posters is the only surviving three-sheet for Singin' in the Rain. Other memorabilia includes a Charlie Chaplin bowler, a Harpo Marx wig and one of Scarlett O'Hara's dresses from Gone With the Wind.

"They should be in a museum," she tells THR of the items in her collection.

Natch, the actress opened a Las Vegas museum in the '90s, but it went bankrupt in 1997. Her last best hope was that her collection would find a home in the Academy's museum. She recalls approaching the Academy's leaders not once, but five times.

"I said, 'Please, let's do this together.' It was refused each time." She's saddened by the fact that so many of the pieces now are scattered throughout the world but brushes off the idea of a last-ditch donation to the planned Academy Museum.

"I am a little hurt. I mean, I don't feel that I should donate what I have left of my collection. &#8230; I did it all when nobody else would." Still there's one item that she's hanging on to -- an original Maltese Falcon (another sold last year for $4 million). Says the thrice-married Reynolds, "I'm keeping him. He's mine. It's one man that did not get away."

Last edited:
Back