Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

   
  1. #46
    Points: 22,223, Level: 92
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    3,948
    Points
    22,223
    Level
    92
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,292
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,241 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    I love how you're ignoring how controversial TDCAU was and are then surprised Sony didn't make it a single. The focus on other markets was a choice as MJ was not as popular in the US at that time.
    It reached number 30 with record/radio companies refusing to play it. There was a market for it. The numbers don't lie. MJ was not popular during the HIStory era? The man broke Billboard chart records!? What?
    Rocking with Mike for 15+ years and more to come! THRILLER 2017!
    I tried to do the Thriller routine.. check it out! haha:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9fMLQWH1C0
    Thanks!

  2. #47
    Points: 6,993, Level: 55
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    6,993
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked 912 Times in 499 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    It reached number 30 with record/radio companies refusing to play it. There was a market for it. The numbers don't lie. MJ was not popular during the HIStory era? The man broke Billboard chart records!? What?
    Right, it was still a big controversy. Did I say he wasn't popular during the HIStory era? I really feel like you're just seeing what you want.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:


  4. #48
    Points: 22,223, Level: 92
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    3,948
    Points
    22,223
    Level
    92
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,292
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,241 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Right, it was still a big controversy. Did I say he wasn't popular during the HIStory era? I really feel like you're just seeing what you want.
    "MJ was not as popular in the US at that time"

    Reaching number 30 without any radio companies playing etc. is very popular. Breaking billboard singles records twice, is very popular. I think this misconception no-one wanted to listen to MJ in the 1990's in America is wrong. Sony did MJ a dis-service and it created the narrative.
    Rocking with Mike for 15+ years and more to come! THRILLER 2017!
    I tried to do the Thriller routine.. check it out! haha:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9fMLQWH1C0
    Thanks!

  5. #49
    Points: 3,347, Level: 35
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    792
    Points
    3,347
    Level
    35
    Thanks
    354
    Thanked 573 Times in 270 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    I think it was MJ’s own decision to focus more on the international markets than the US market in the 90s. He didn’t even tour the US during the Dangerous and History tours. I despise Sony but I don’t blame them for the lack of promotion in the US. I think it was MJ’s own decision.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:


  7. #50
    Points: 6,993, Level: 55
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    6,993
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked 912 Times in 499 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    "MJ was not as popular in the US at that time"

    Reaching number 30 without any radio companies playing etc. is very popular. Breaking billboard singles records twice, is very popular. I think this misconception no-one wanted to listen to MJ in the 1990's in America is wrong. Sony did MJ a dis-service and it created the narrative.
    You just quoted what I said and yet still went on misunderstand it.

  8. #51
    Points: 6,993, Level: 55
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    6,993
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked 912 Times in 499 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    I think it was MJ’s own decision to focus more on the international markets than the US market in the 90s. He didn’t even tour the US during the Dangerous and History tours. I despise Sony but I don’t blame them for the lack of promotion in the US. I think it was MJ’s own decision.
    It was his decision.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:


  10. #52
    Points: 22,223, Level: 92
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    3,948
    Points
    22,223
    Level
    92
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,292
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,241 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    You just quoted what I said and yet still went on misunderstand it.
    Please explain then how MJ wasn't 'as popular in the US' during this time although he broke chart records and still performed very well even with Sony not releasing his singles properly..
    Rocking with Mike for 15+ years and more to come! THRILLER 2017!
    I tried to do the Thriller routine.. check it out! haha:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9fMLQWH1C0
    Thanks!

  11. #53
    Points: 6,993, Level: 55
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    6,993
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    2,820
    Thanked 912 Times in 499 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    Please explain then how MJ wasn't 'as popular in the US' during this time although he broke chart records and still performed very well even with Sony not releasing his singles properly..
    He was more popular in general elsewhere. I didn't say he wasn't popular in the US.
    Last edited by SmoothGangsta; 09-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:


  13. #54
    Points: 6,231, Level: 51
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,009
    Points
    6,231
    Level
    51
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 600 Times in 308 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    MJ decided to leave Sony in the early 2000 when he asked from them his masters (of his previous albums) to revert back to him.

    The reason was that he wanted to market his albums (previous & upcoming ones) with his own label that he was about to create without having to share profits with Sony.

    Tommy Mottola refused that particular MJ’s demand & it was then when that battle (between MJ & Sony) began.

    Also, MJ knew already that he was no longer high on Sony’s priority list after the release of his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

    But, MJ’s way of fighting against Sony during that period (using publicly inappropriate words against Mottola, protesting on that double-decker bus in London, etc) was simply inexcusable & immature on his part.

    To say that he risked his career with that erratic behavior is, in my opinion, not an overstatement.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:


  15. #55
    Points: 5,626, Level: 48
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,057
    Points
    5,626
    Level
    48
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 497 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    MJ decided to leave Sony in the early 2000 when he asked from them his masters (of his previous albums) to revert back to him.

    The reason was that he wanted to market his albums (previous & upcoming ones) with his own label that he was about to create without having to share profits with Sony.

    Tommy Mottola refused that particular MJ’s demand & it was then when that battle (between MJ & Sony) began.

    Also, MJ knew already that he was no longer high on Sony’s priority list after the release of his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

    But, MJ’s way of fighting against Sony during that period (using publicly inappropriate words against Mottola, protesting on that double-decker bus in London, etc) was simply inexcusable & immature on his part.

    To say that he risked his career with that erratic behavior is, in my opinion, not an overstatement.
    Well said and I completely agree. When I saw all of it unfolding, in real time, I wondered, then, what the hell he was thinking and I literally thought that he was losing his mind. There was quite a bit of wrong-doing, on both sides. Even though I don't care about Sony as an entity, I have never completely blamed the company for what went down....it was mostly Tommy Mottola and his management style and Michael definitely had a hand in it, as well. That time in his life seemed to be especially erratic, in terms of his own decision-making and the way he handled issues, as they happened.
    "To give someone a piece of your heart,
    is worth more than all the wealth in the world"
    ~Michael Jackson~

  16. #56
    Points: 5,626, Level: 48
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,057
    Points
    5,626
    Level
    48
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 497 Posts

    Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    There's simply no excuse, or defending this.
    I don't think anyone is defending it, as such. Some are just saying it's not the big deal that many fans are trying to make out of it. Like.....it was pushed, in some parts of the fan community as a massive international incident and part of a huge Sony conspiracy to disrespect Michael, which I personally think is way over the top. It was a sloppy, insensitive, cringeworthy review/blurb that made it to a tiny corner of the online market, in one tiny corner of the world.
    "To give someone a piece of your heart,
    is worth more than all the wealth in the world"
    ~Michael Jackson~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •