Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,241 Posts

Default Re: Sony telling retailers to refer to MJ as self proclaimed and Ja**o

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    I love how you're ignoring how controversial TDCAU was and are then surprised Sony didn't make it a single. The focus on other markets was a choice as MJ was not as popular in the US at that time.
    It reached number 30 with record/radio companies refusing to play it. There was a market for it. The numbers don't lie. MJ was not popular during the HIStory era? The man broke Billboard chart records!? What?
    Rocking with Mike for 15+ years and more to come! THRILLER 2017!
    I tried to do the Thriller routine.. check it out! haha:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9fMLQWH1C0
    Thanks!

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    It reached number 30 with record/radio companies refusing to play it. There was a market for it. The numbers don't lie. MJ was not popular during the HIStory era? The man broke Billboard chart records!? What?
    Right, it was still a big controversy. Did I say he wasn't popular during the HIStory era? I really feel like you're just seeing what you want.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Right, it was still a big controversy. Did I say he wasn't popular during the HIStory era? I really feel like you're just seeing what you want.
    "MJ was not as popular in the US at that time"

Reaching number 30 without any radio companies playing etc. is very popular. Breaking billboard singles records twice, is very popular. I think this misconception no-one wanted to listen to MJ in the 1990's in America is wrong. Sony did MJ a dis-service and it created the narrative.
    I tried to do the Thriller routine.. check it out! haha:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9fMLQWH1C0
    Thanks!

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

I think it was MJ’s own decision to focus more on the international markets than the US market in the 90s. He didn’t even tour the US during the Dangerous and History tours. I despise Sony but I don’t blame them for the lack of promotion in the US. I think it was MJ’s own decision.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

"MJ was not as popular in the US at that time"

Reaching number 30 without any radio companies playing etc. is very popular. Breaking billboard singles records twice, is very popular. I think this misconception no-one wanted to listen to MJ in the 1990's in America is wrong. Sony did MJ a dis-service and it created the narrative.
    You just quoted what I said and yet still went on misunderstand it.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    I think it was MJ’s own decision to focus more on the international markets than the US market in the 90s. He didn’t even tour the US during the Dangerous and History tours. I despise Sony but I don’t blame them for the lack of promotion in the US. I think it was MJ’s own decision.
    It was his decision.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You just quoted what I said and yet still went on misunderstand it.
    Please explain then how MJ wasn't 'as popular in the US' during this time although he broke chart records and still performed very well even with Sony not releasing his singles properly..
    Thanks!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Please explain then how MJ wasn't 'as popular in the US' during this time although he broke chart records and still performed very well even with Sony not releasing his singles properly..
    He was more popular in general elsewhere. I didn't say he wasn't popular in the US.
    Last edited by SmoothGangsta; 09-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

MJ decided to leave Sony in the early 2000 when he asked from them his masters (of his previous albums) to revert back to him.

The reason was that he wanted to market his albums (previous & upcoming ones) with his own label that he was about to create without having to share profits with Sony.

Tommy Mottola refused that particular MJ’s demand & it was then when that battle (between MJ & Sony) began.

Also, MJ knew already that he was no longer high on Sony’s priority list after the release of his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

But, MJ’s way of fighting against Sony during that period (using publicly inappropriate words against Mottola, protesting on that double-decker bus in London, etc) was simply inexcusable & immature on his part.

To say that he risked his career with that erratic behavior is, in my opinion, not an overstatement.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 497 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    MJ decided to leave Sony in the early 2000 when he asked from them his masters (of his previous albums) to revert back to him.

The reason was that he wanted to market his albums (previous & upcoming ones) with his own label that he was about to create without having to share profits with Sony.

Tommy Mottola refused that particular MJ’s demand & it was then when that battle (between MJ & Sony) began.

Also, MJ knew already that he was no longer high on Sony’s priority list after the release of his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

But, MJ’s way of fighting against Sony during that period (using publicly inappropriate words against Mottola, protesting on that double-decker bus in London, etc) was simply inexcusable & immature on his part.

To say that he risked his career with that erratic behavior is, in my opinion, not an overstatement.
    Well said and I completely agree. When I saw all of it unfolding, in real time, I wondered, then, what the hell he was thinking and I literally thought that he was losing his mind. There was quite a bit of wrong-doing, on both sides. Even though I don't care about Sony as an entity, I have never completely blamed the company for what went down....it was mostly Tommy Mottola and his management style and Michael definitely had a hand in it, as well. That time in his life seemed to be especially erratic, in terms of his own decision-making and the way he handled issues, as they happened.
    "To give someone a piece of your heart,
    is worth more than all the wealth in the world"
    ~Michael Jackson~

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredThree FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 497 Posts

There's simply no excuse, or defending this.
    I don't think anyone is defending it, as such. Some are just saying it's not the big deal that many fans are trying to make out of it. Like.....it was pushed, in some parts of the fan community as a massive international incident and part of a huge Sony conspiracy to disrespect Michael, which I personally think is way over the top. It was a sloppy, insensitive, cringeworthy review/blurb that made it to a tiny corner of the online market, in one tiny corner of the world.
    "To give someone a piece of your heart,
    is worth more than all the wealth in the world"
    ~Michael Jackson~