Biggest Black Music act in White Community ever

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
my top three picks are Michael Jackson, Jimi hendrix and Bob Marley with honerable mention to nat King cole, Johnny mathis,Louis armstrong, and Sammy Davis Jr. your turn

Michael Michael Michael :lol: okay definitely all the ones you mentioned and I'd have to add Whitney Houston and Diana Ross those ladies in their eras were HUGE in the white community both stateside and worldwide.

Michael Jackson by far.

Maybe Whitney Houston, Prince, Janet Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Tina Turner.

Definitly Michael Jackson.
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye
The Temptations
Bob Marly

The Mills Brothers
Frankie Lyman & The Teenagers
Sam Cooke
The Ink Spots
B.B. King
Sly and the Family Stone
Ray Charles
Billy Ocean
Donna Summer
Sammy Davis Jr.
The 5th Demension
Lionel Richie
Little Richard
Miles Davis
Nina Simone
Johnny Mathis
Hootie and the Blowfish

Last edited:
All black singers have been big in the white community.

How many Joe Tex songs do the pop community know?
How many Bar-Kays songs beside maybe "Soul Finger"?
How many Five Stairsteps songs? How many Impressions/Curtis Mayfield songs?
Most hip-hop acts in the eighties were not as popular in the mainstream.

How many Joe Tex songs do the pop community know?
How many Bar-Kays songs beside maybe "Soul Finger"?
How many Five Stairsteps songs? How many Impressions/Curtis Mayfield songs?
Most hip-hop acts in the eighties were not as popular in the mainstream.

They are not popular in the black community either, unless you are talking about YOUR local community. I was referring to major artist, who are internationally famous, not your local artist.

They are not popular in the black community either, unless you are talking about YOUR local community. I was referring to major artist, who are internationally famous, not your local artist.
You said ALL, and those artists are popular with blacks of a certain generation. They're not local artists. Although a local artist would be included in ALL black singers. Johnnie Taylor has dozens of hits on the R&B charts, but only 2 on the pop charts, which seems to be the only validation of success or talent for some. Somebody being known internationally known is not an indicator of popularity, success, or influence either. It only means that they didn't have a powerful record label, promotion muscle, payola, or that their music is "too black" and others can't relate to it. Which is why Motown acts were WAY more popular than Stax or Chess acts. People like Jimi Hendrix or Bob Marley are only talked about because lots of Caucasians like them, that's all. The Isley Brothers, who didn't really cross over, are not talked about. People like Ernie Isley, Charlie Christian, or Jesse Johnson are excellent guitarists, but you never see them mentioned in the guitar polls or magazines like Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, or the token Hendrix (who wasn't really popular in his time with the black audience)

Last edited:
Well, if the artist you talk about aren't even KNOWN within the INTERNATIONAL black community, how the hell are they going to be known by other community. Don't you have to be known by your own first.I didn't even know the names of those artist you mentioned. I am not american, i am british. I think the question was asked about international singers, otherwise the question is pointless.

Last edited:
Well, if the artist you talk about aren't even KNOWN within the INTERNATIONAL black community, how the hell are they going to be known by other community. Don't you have to be known by your own first.I didn't even know the names of those artist you mentioned. I am not american, i am british. I think the question was asked about international singers, otherwise the question is pointless.
You said ALL are popular. So some were listed that aren't. That's like British people talking about Kylie Minogue or Robbie Williams. They're popular over there, but not in America. Or Miley Cyrus being popular in America and not elsewhere. All blacks don't listen to the same music anyway, so there is no international black community. In the US, there's lots of blacks that only listen to country or zydeco music. YOU still said ALL, and not internationally known. In the other version of this thread, people were talking about Jon B. and Color Me Badd, who aren't international acts but American popular performers. The majority of people in the world doesn't even listen to western music, so no one is internationally known. There's about 6.5 billion people in the world, and a lot of them have no access to technology.

Last edited:
Dat, you're not making much sense. The point of this thread was who was the biggest black act in the mainstream (white) community and there's a history that shows that only a few black acts ever cross over successfully to the mainstream (yeah I believe Marvin can be added as a big act in the white community but it's kind of limited to a few singles and one particular album).

To say ALL black acts have been successful in the mainstream is a general boxing in and history shows that's now true. New Edition isn't as known to the mainstream as they are the black community. In fact the black community holds NE to a higher regard than the mainstream ever did.

As far as current music goes, probably Rihanna, Beyoncé, Childish Gambino, & Drake

Back