Kanye West Arrested for Vandalism at L.A. Airport (Updated)

Victory2004

Proud Member
Kanye West Arrested for Vandalism at L.A. Airport
By Ken Lee
Update Posted Thursday September 11, 2008 04:10 PM EDT Originally posted Thursday September 11, 2008 12:00 PM EDT

Kanye West in New York City Sept. 8 Photo by: Amy Sussman / Getty
kanye_west.jpg
Kanye West was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport Thursday morning after allegedly damaging a photographer's camera.

"Mr. West was arrested at 7:51 a.m. outside the passenger screening area by airport police on charges of vandalism," said LAX spokesman Marshall Lowe. "Initial reports say this incident involved a paparazzo and a camera valued at more than $10,000."

"In addition, Mr. West's [road manager] was arrested for vandalism and battery," Lowe said. "Several witnesses are being interviewed by police. West and his bodyguard are being transported to an LAPD station where they're expected to be booked."

A TMZ.com video cameraman who was also on the scene reports that when West, 31, noticed that he was being photographed, he "rushed the photog and grabbed his camera...threw it to the ground, breaking it into pieces," according to the Web site.

The TMZ.com cameraman, who was taping the events, says he was then approached by the road manager, who "grabbed [his] camera, ripped off the mic and viewfinder and smashed it to the ground."

West was released from custody at 12:53 p.m. after posting $20,000 bail, police records show.

A court date was set for Oct. 2. A rep for the rapper had no comment.

With reporting by TIFFANY McGEE

Last edited:
Re: Kanye West Arrested for Vandalism at L.A. Airport

muppets.

where's the new law against these papz?

It is a disgrace. These 'Papa-rawses' can do whatever they like to celebs and when they fight back they get arrested. That is BS.

GO KANYE!

Paparazzi deserve even WORSE! They are the WORST kind of people. What kind of job is that? How come it is legally ALLOWED?!

It'd be great if Michael beat the hell out of one of them, without going to prison of course!

And guess where the papper fool was from? Yes, our "friends" the clowns from TMZ and they are having a FIELD DAY with poor Kanye on their website. Just blah. I do not know if I want to post it but if you are interested: www.tmz.com/

I find it unfair for Kanye and celebrities who fight back to be arrested. I think that the pappers should be arressted for distrubing the peace, endangering the welfare of people and disordely conduct. They go too damn far. GO KANYE!!

Because he's showing he can't handle his fame in a professional manner. I know I won't get slack for saying that, and I'm not saying the dumb ass paps didn't deserve it, but Kanye isn't making his life any easier or disuadding them from snapping his photo by assaulting them. I remember when Tom Cruise had water thrown in his face by one of these idiots and instead of going ballistic, he just looked at the guy and told him he was an idiot, asked him why he did it, and the pap ended up looking like a total moron, not Tom. It's stupid to assault people, it gets nothing accomplished.

I had heard about this on MTV News. And even though I don't like him anymore but I was happy for what he did. Paparazzis to me are nothing but scums of the earth well much lower than that. And that is the nicest way I have to call them. After 11 years I still think they are the main cause why Princess Diana is dead now. I just hate the paparazzis so much. I can't understand why any one would want to have that kind of job.

I'm actually on Kayne's side on this one. Where are the laws to arrest papparazzi for intruding on people's privacy? It's a disgrace.

Because he's showing he can't handle his fame in a professional manner. I know I won't get slack for saying that, and I'm not saying the dumb ass paps didn't deserve it, but Kanye isn't making his life any easier or disuadding them from snapping his photo by assaulting them. I remember when Tom Cruise had water thrown in his face by one of these idiots and instead of going ballistic, he just looked at the guy and told him he was an idiot, asked him why he did it, and the pap ended up looking like a total moron, not Tom. It's stupid to assault people, it gets nothing accomplished.

well it takes all sorts... not everyone is as practiced as Michael. i myself would probably do the same at point... can you imagine how hard it must be? :(

sometimes, all you want is just to be normal and to belong... :(

I'm surprised this doesn't happen on a daily basis, really. If your camera is that expensive, maybe you shouldn't be out flashing it at people who don't want you flashing their picture.

Also, whenever I hear these pap workers giving interiviews or defending themselves, they sound like arrogant arseholes.

I agree with ship on what he/she said. It not fair how the celebrites cant stand up 4 them selves and the press can get away with what they do..its just not fair at all!

I'm surprised this doesn't happen on a daily basis, really. If your camera is that expensive, maybe you shouldn't be out flashing it at people who don't want you flashing their picture.

Also, whenever I hear these pap workers giving interiviews or defending themselves, they sound like arrogant arseholes.
Frank Sinatra & Sean Penn were well known for punching photographers in their day. Then there was the time Prince's bodyguard assaulted a razzi who jumped in his limo on the day of the "We Are The World" recording. Prince got a lot of bad press about this, and he wrote a song about it called "Hello". But if the public wasn't so hungry for these types of pictures, the razzi would go out of business. So whose fault is it really? Like tabloids paying millions for pictures Brad & Angelina's baby. It's a baby, what's the big deal? It's like people on here talking about Mike & Pamela Anderson aren't dating because there's no photographic or video evidence of this. Well who would be the one taking these pictures? Tourists? No.

Last edited:
Hmm well maybe that was a bit too harsh but I don't judge Kanye..

What are those glasses anyway? :lmao:

But if the public wasn't so hungry for these types of pictures, the razzi would go out of business. So whose fault is it really?
the law's.

when Pietri coined the phrase 'the masses are asses', it seems he was right on different levels. i think if we'd put up various surveys to reflect our selfishness as a community (compromising different social/ethical issues), we'd be disgusted with the results.

so it's up to the law to curb these practices.

LA considers law to protect against paparazzi

Posted by Jeffrey Blyth
4 August 2008 at 10:31

New laws to protect celebrities from the paparazzi are being considered in Los Angeles.

Lately the hordes of photographers - many of them amateurs with camera-phones - have created mob scenes and even brawls that resulted in injuries.

Celebrities have complained, and so have some police who have to spend so much time protecting the stars. One of the suggested remedies is a local anti-paparazzi law that would create a “personal safety zone” between photographers and their subjects.

At a meeting in Los Angeles City Hall, attended the by representatives of both sides, it was claimed that controlling photographers’ behaviour was a matter of public safety. It was claimed that photographers run in packs, ignore red lights and make illegal u-turns in pursuit of their quarry.

Occasionally this has resulted, it was claimed, in personal injuries. Some photographers have had their toes run over by celebrities fleeing in their heavy SUVs. Others have been hurt in fist fights.

The Los Angeles Police Department, trying to maintain a neutral stance, did not attend the meeting. Police chief William Bratton dubbed the hearing a waste of time and even suggested that sometimes the fracas are as much the fault of the celebrities as the cameramen.

Last edited:
Paparazzi deserve to be MOLESTED and HAUNTED in the worst possible ways - it's the worst kind of people really!!! They are so awful, I mean , they are like rats, take a look at that idiot Perez Hilton, don't you wanna kick his ass, moonwalk style?!

Kanye isn't making his life any easier or disuadding them from snapping his photo by assaulting them.

MJ doesn't "make his life easier" or dissuade paparazzi bothering him by the way he's normally seen in public, and I believe your consistent stance on that is to just let Michael be Michael. Mind you, MJ doesn't break the law while doing so, but rushing some invasive idiot pap isn't really on my list of horrible things. I think you give more thought to people you admire, and are quicker to brush off actions of people you're apathetic to/dislike as being idiotic. By this same attitude, you can see why so many folks think of Michael as a "freak." And they're more or less not anymore right or wrong than, well, you in this instance.

I know it's considered bad form to mention the man of the board in unrelated topics, but the comparison really is relevant in how we react to this, I think.

i agree with u wbss. this kind of behavior doesnt hurt anyone but urself. when it comes down to it smart ppl handle this type of situations better than some less smart ppl do.
we all know how bad michael would like to kick pap's a$$es but hes never done so.
why ? because he knows very well that if he did that he'd only cause himself trouble and nobody else. he knows that and he knows how to control his temper and anger.

consider him an injured veteran in the war between the people vs. the paparazzi. his situation can only strengthen the case for the proposed law against these scum.
Lately the hordes of photographers - many of them amateurs with camera-phones - have created mob scenes and even brawls that resulted in injuries.

Celebrities have complained, and so have some police who have to spend so much time protecting the stars. One of the suggested remedies is a local anti-paparazzi law that would create a “personal safety zone” between photographers and their subjects.

yeah well MJ is not making HIS life any easier by going out in pyjamas and wheelchairs, but that's just his way of fighting back , I guess...

yeah well MJ is not making HIS life any easier by going out in pyjamas and wheelchairs, but that's just his way of fighting back , I guess...

yes he does actually. because he feels comfortable by going out in his pj's and wheelchairs and most of the times he puts on disguises nobody recognizes him.

the only thing he does to fight back at paps is to try to avoid them and and disguise himself so they wont recognize him. so yes he makes his life as easier as it gets by doing that. but kanye on the other hand causes to himself a lot of trouble by having this aggressive behavior

yes he does actually. because he feels comfortable by going out in his pj's and wheelchairs and most of the times he puts on disguises nobody recognizes him.
I'm not sure about that, as having a bunch of bodyguards around will cancel out any "disguise". Besides anybody (famous or not) will draw attention going into a store wearing pj's.

The point is: do you expect people who aren't MJ fans to know or care about that? No. They see photos of him dressed strangely, they call him a freak. Done deal. They see a clip of him holding his baby over a balcony, they call him an unfit parent. Simple as. We hear about Kanye having a confrontation with a paparazzi, we call him an idiot. Instantly. We don't care to inquire what was going on with him that day, or sympathize with his situation or how he felt. It's essentially putting a lot of thought trying to understand one person and not trying whatsoever to understand another. It's understandable, but also very hypocritical. I'd like to see how this same news story goes over at a Kanye West forum.

It is a disgrace. These 'Papa-rawses' can do whatever they like to celebs and when they fight back they get arrested. That is BS.

I agree. The tabloid media need to be told, once and for all, how far they can go before there are serious consequences with the law. The celebs are always complaining and the cops aren't happy that they always have to be brought in to break up a scuffle or walk around with the celebs to protect them from something that is completely unnecessary. I'm so sick of paps being able to hide behind their "jobs". Because that includes harrassing someone and basically getting away with it. In my book, when they step over the line and get rapped for it, they have no right to boo hoo about their cameras or noses getting broke. If they can't take the heat, they should stay out of the kitchen. Nobody with any decent sense tells them to get up flashing those stupid things in people's faces. When they decide to invade someone's space like that, they should expect no kit-glove treatment from anybody adversely affected by their decision. What makes the paps so special that celebs have to pay for it when they get hurt or their stalking equipment is busted? Yes, the person being photographed may have issues for whatever thing or reason and they may lash out. But that definitely does not make the photographers the angels of the situation either. One person (Princess Diana) IMO has already died in part because of how these people act. Is it going to take the death of someone else for them to be stopped?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that, as having a bunch of bodyguards around will cancel out any "disguise". Besides anybody (famous or not) will draw attention going into a store wearing pj's.

sometimes his bodyguards are disguised too and other times they're not even with him.
and his pj's are def not a disguise lol. hes been out in disguise thousands of times and only a few times his disguises didnt work and he got recognized.

The point is: do you expect people who aren't MJ fans to know or care about that? No. They see photos of him dressed strangely, they call him a freak. Done deal. They see a clip of him holding his baby over a balcony, they call him an unfit parent. Simple as. We hear about Kanye having a confrontation with a paparazzi, we call him an idiot. Instantly. We don't care to inquire what was going on with him that day, or sympathize with his situation or how he felt. It's essentially putting a lot of thought trying to understand one person and not trying whatsoever to understand another. It's understandable, but also very hypocritical. I'd like to see how this same news story goes over at a Kanye West forum.

first off i didnt call him an idiot. i think hes a smart guy just not as smart as some other ppl but hes def not an idiot. i only think he has hard time to control his temper and thats why its very likely that the judge in his upcoming court hearing will order him to take anger management classes. i wasnt being a hypocrite. i dont know the guy and i certainly dont know what he was going through that day so i will leave that judgement to others who actually know his case. all i did was comment on his aggressive behavior and how that causes harm to his own self first and foremost. i hope he works out whatever issues he has and learning how to control his anger. thats that.

:yes:
I agree. That's why I'm not judging him. I'm just saying maybe it wasn't the only right thing to do.

Back